• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date
I've been trying to get the best performance in Last Light, but I can't seem to hit something that works for me. What would you recommend I turn off/on with the following:

- i5 @ 3.30GHz
- 8 GB Ram
- Windows 7
- Radeon 7970

The game seems to be a bit sluggish as soon as I fire a gun (running 1920x1080, Very High, 4x Texture Filtering, V-Sync on, Tesselation and Motion Blur at Normal)

TExture filtering at 4X? Surely you could easily put that up to 16X with negligible performance considerations. Modern GPUs eat AF for breakfast.

Surely you are not super sampling the game or something by accident are you?

TExture filtering at 4X? Surely you could easily put that up to 16X with negligible performance considerations. Modern GPUs eat AF for breakfast.

Surely you are not super sampling the game or something by accident are you?

If I am, then I am not aware of it. I don't have SSAO enabled and I haven't set up my monitor/card for downsampling at all.

I just put it down to 4X to see if it would improve performance. but not getting a result yet that is satisfying.

Professor Pew

Neo Member
If I am, then I am not aware of it. I don't have SSAO enabled and I haven't set up my monitor/card for downsampling at all.

I just put it down to 4X to see if it would improve performance. but not getting a result yet that is satisfying.

Have you tried turning tesselation off, or switching to High instead of Very High? I'd be interested to know how that changes things, too (sadly I don't have a bunch of different PCs to test out settings and FPS).

Bi50N

Edge Magazine hit subscribers today - let's cut to the chase:

8/10

"Last Light’s world-building is the equal of Infinite’s astonishing journey..."

Yeah, I'll take that...

/tries to hide needling sense of disappointment. A man can dream after all.

I think a few more print mags with reviews are due to land today too.

Have you tried turning tesselation off, or switching to High instead of Very High? I'd be interested to know how that changes things, too (sadly I don't have a bunch of different PCs to test out settings and FPS).

I'll try those out. Because the framerate goes from 55 to 14 right after the kitchen in the tutorial section, which is really crazy.

Edit: Tried without tesselation and setting overall qualityy to High. Framerate still goes down to 14 in the same section, so I'm guessing that part is just more demanding then the rest

Edit 2: Word of advice for AMD users: Turn off Physx in Game Options (it's not in Video), and the framerate will be much, much, better. Fixed my issue and rocking 55-60 with Very High and Tesselation running.

Professor Pew

Neo Member
So will a i5 3570k at 4.2 and a HD7870 get me 60fps?

I guess my monitors max res being 1680x1050 helps in that unless im downsampling, it should keep a bit of strain off my Q6600, 560ti setup :/

Still i can run metro on high and keep 60fps, so fingers crossed for LL

I remember grabbing an i5 over an i7 way back when because pffft like I'm ever going to need that hyperthreading. Starting to think I probably shouldn't have gone the i7, for investments sake.

Oh well. i5@4.3Ghz, 8GB DDR3, GTX 670 2GB. Hoping to have a solid framerate with everything maxed, anti-aliasing excluded.

Can't say about exact framerates. As far as I know the game is pretty heavy on the CPU but having a "lower" resolution will help with the fill rate and keeping the frame rate up.

As for maxing out: the machines I have to test on at the moment are all around the minimum specs. The builds that press played with for their previews were running fluidly on High on i7-2600K @ 3.4 GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 580 4GB specs. 1920x1080 screens. A good i5 with similar specs should run it fine, too Maybe you'd need to put a few things a notch lower.

It's been a while since I've been religiously keeping track of hardware performance on places like Tomshardware, though. Usually I stop reading that stuff directly after upgrading my PC because I like to believe I spent my money wisely :). So I won't be able to tell you exactly what kind of framerate you will get with which settings on which setup, but hopefully this info will help to get a good idea of how it will run.

As for the console versions: if you don't think your PC can run it, the console versions look great too. Of course you're not going to get super high-res textures and all that jazz. But given the aging hardware of the current generation, it looks and runs really good. Gameplay-wise it's the same experience.

If there will be a next-gen console version a long time from now, it will surely look better but it will still be largely the same experience.

Lastly, no more amoebas. So much rage! I wasn't involved when the decision was made to not have those things in the next game again, but I'm extremely thankful to whoever decided that.

Edge Magazine hit subscribers today - let's cut to the chase:

8/10

"Last Light’s world-building is the equal of Infinite’s astonishing journey..."

Yeah, I'll take that...

/tries to hide needling sense of disappointment. A man can dream after all.

I think a few more print mags with reviews are due to land today too.

In this age of hyper inflated review scores I consider an 8 a great score... as long as th reviewer has this in his/her mind.

A game that lacks GTA /COD levels of hype is always guaranteed a rougher time on the score bench these days. Just check out the reviews for other great games like Natural Selection 2 or Space Marine. Both were not super big budget titles that play really great... yet average 8s!

bobeth

In this age of hyper inflated review scores I consider an 8 a great score... as long as th reviewer has this in his/her mind.

A game that lacks GTA /COD levels of hype is always guaranteed a rougher time on the score bench these days. Just check out the reviews for other great games like Natural Selection 2 or Space Marine. Both were not super big budget titles that play really great... yet average 8s!

I agree. Besides, I do not expect a perfect level of polish and balance from a metro game, that's what makes it charming.

pa22word

I've been trying to get the best performance in Last Light, but I can't seem to hit something that works for me. What would you recommend I turn off/on with the following:

- i5 @ 3.30GHz
- 8 GB Ram
- Windows 7
- Radeon 7970

The game seems to be a bit sluggish as soon as I fire a gun (running 1920x1080, Very High, 4x Texture Filtering, V-Sync on, Tesselation and Motion Blur at Normal)

Turn tessellation and SSAO off, and bring down any AA you're using to moderate levels (iw. 2x MSAA or turn to post-processing stuff like FXAA or SMAA).

Dyno

I played the first Metro on the 360 and while there was much to love it had awkward controls and a punishing save system. Is the team more acquanted with consoles now? Will it be a better fit.

Inside and out this is my kind of game, I just want to play it smoothly.

Not sure if this has been addressed in this thread, but what AA options will we be seeing in this game? I'm hoping for some nice SMAA such as in Crysis 3.

Running windows 7, GeForce GTX 580 3 GB, with an intel Core i7. Running on high. Things seem fairly smooth. I noticed some drops in the town section near the start on some occasions but been mostly a smooth and beautiful ride so far.

Also thanks Metro devs for using one of my phobias to the extreme max in one early section of the game. I had to stop immediatly afterwards. *shivers*

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Also thanks Metro devs for using one of my phobias to the extreme max in one early section of the game. I had to stop immediatly afterwards. *shivers*

Perhaps someone will make a mod that replaces the spiders with bears.

Adam Blue

I have an ATI card - 7970. Doesn't run as good as I thought it would. Turning of Physx helps big time. Everything else jacked to highest. It'll just take some patches and drivers.

Speaking of Physx, it must use the CPU since I can see it in use. If it is GPU, I have a dedicated NVIDIA card, so I'll just have to wait for a mod.

knitoe

Why can't someone tell us the fps? "Runs well", "fairly smooth" and so on doesn't tell much because some people are happy with 20fps, 30fps, 45 fps, 60fps or etc. Instead, please provide system spec, game settings and fps.

Why can't someone tell us the fps? "Runs well", "fairly smooth" and so on doesn't tell much because some people are happy with 20fps, 30fps, 45 fps, 60fps or etc. Instead, please provide system spec, game settings and fps.

55 to 60 frame with my specs posted earlier.

First off, I don't like corridor shooters, I didn't like the forced combat of Metro 2033, so I quit it early on. I loved the atmosphere though. So I'm pretty surprised after looking at the above stealth gameplay trailer, looks great for my style of play. I really like silent assassin/ghost, so here's hoping that is actually viable like it says.

Sethos

Banned

Well, FPS doesn't tell you how smooth a game is either.

legacyzero

Banned
Well, that was about the level of conversation people had with 2033, so It's not surprising :p

First off, I don't like corridor shooters, I didn't like the forced combat of Metro 2033, so I quit it early on. I loved the atmosphere though. So I'm pretty surprised after looking at the above stealth gameplay trailer, looks great for my style of play. I really like silent assassin/ghost, so here's hoping that is actually viable like it says.

Seems this one ooens up a bit more with some more outside locations. But "Metro" implies corridor :D

Seems this one opens up a bit more with some more outside locations. But "Metro" implies corridor :D

Should clarify I mean the more 'run and gun' mentality of CoD, Halo, Bio Inf, etc. I know Metro 2033 wasn't exactly like that, but it had enough harrowing moments and the stealth was janky enough that I didn't want to play it very long. I had disregarded this game completely until now. Glad I gave it a look in the hopes they gave me some more options!

Lastly, no more amoebas. So much rage! I wasn't involved when the decision was made to not have those things in the next game again, but I'm extremely thankful to whoever decided that.

m225974830.gif

tasos

The flashlight and muzzle flashes from guns don't cast shadows anymore ?
That's what i noticed from some videos , could be wrong though ...

*shrugs* my 3570k shouldn't have a problem with this game seeing as it's oc'd to 4.7ghz. With Metro2033 maxed with 4msaa I get 85fps average and without msaa I can get an average of 101fps so I should be ok with LL

x3sphere

For reference, I'm running this on crossfire 7950s and getting 40-60 FPS at all times. This is at 2560x1600 resolution, maxed out except for PhysX.

So runs great on AMD, overall I'm getting better performance than the original.

Also no crossfire stuttering or what not, it's silky smooth here. Considering 1600p is close to double the pixels, with a single 7950 or 7970 you'd probably see similar performance at 1080p.

Deadbeat

Banned
Could one of you guys that has it on PC tell us how big the install size is? Because they still arent telling us on the steam store.

I want to know if they did include these "higher res" assets.

Riggs

Banned
Been working all yesterday, and most of today on getting Metro 2033 to run.

This is really insane, I've played this game multiple times on this same machine. Now it can't get past the intro video when it goes full screen. Not even sure if I am going to purchase Metro LL at this point. The support is non existent for 2033 it seems, people on steam forums are having this problem right now .... wth.

*shrugs* my 3570k shouldn't have a problem with this game seeing as it's oc'd to 4.7ghz. With Metro2033 maxed with 4msaa I get 85fps average and without msaa I can get an average of 101fps so I should be ok with LL

God damn son, how are you overclocking to 4.7 :O

Been working all yesterday, and most of today on getting Metro 2033 to run.

This is really insane, I've played this game multiple times on this same machine. Now it can't get past the intro video when it goes full screen. Not even sure if I am going to purchase Metro LL at this point. The support is non existent for 2033 it seems, people on steam forums are having this problem right now .... wth.

It's like my current problem with Aliens: Colonial Marines where no one seems to have the same problem and nothing works despite having beaten it before. Hope you get it working.

I hope this get a crazy early release in some Asian country, so excited :D

Riggs

Banned

It's like my current problem with Aliens: Colonial Marines where no one seems to have the same problem and nothing works despite having beaten it before. Hope you get it working.

I hope this get a crazy early release in some Asian country, so excited :D

Crazy man, other people are having this issue though, even though it's 2013 and the game came out in 2010. It's so weird, this game has run fine before. No idea what to do at this point.

Crazy man, other people are having this issue though, even though it's 2013 and the game came out in 2010. It's so weird, this game has run fine before. No idea what to do at this point.

Didn't know other people were, saw you post in other threads with no answers that I saw. Well, at least with multiple people having the issue it should get resolved eventually.

Riggs

Banned
Didn't know other people were, saw you post in other threads with no answers that I saw. Well, at least with multiple people having the issue it should get resolved eventually.

There is 3 year old threads being bumped on steam right now, so I don't think 4A is doing shit honestly =/ Hate to be rude about it but damn. Really sucks not being able to finish this. I've tried every step imaginable at this point I don't think I can do anymore other then format.

I remember grabbing an i5 over an i7 way back when because pffft like I'm ever going to need that hyperthreading. Starting to think I probably shouldn't have gone the i7, for investments sake.

Oh well. i5@4.3Ghz, 8GB DDR3, GTX 670 2GB. Hoping to have a solid framerate with everything maxed, anti-aliasing excluded.

I did the same, thought an i7 wouldn't be used to it's full extent. Then about 2 months later I got heavy into video editing and rendering and now I really regret not getting an i7

Anyone know when GMG keys will be made available?

When I asked I got this response:

keys will be sent out on the release date. We can't guarantee that you'll be able to preload -James

The official statement is here
Think I might cancel it on GMG, because I wanna preload and don't wanna risk the possibility of not being able to.

Corsair H60 and a lot of time and it's worth it.

Edit:
The overclock is worth it on so many levels but be it's best to have the best possible cooling of course. I spend a week perfecting my overclock but my current pc is my first so I was not at all experienced with tweaking but my all my games run amazing with the overclock. I also have my two 670's overclocked lol

Are there any good guides on OCing a 3570k and a Gigabyte 670?

I think it's time I start cranking these bad boys up.

I would look for oc guides for your particular motherboard. If you have a MSI or asrock then you have so many guides at your disposal on the net it's crazy. OC your gpu isn't as hard as the cpu. Download some crazy benchmark tools like the Heaven Engine and slowly up the memory clock frequency and core frequency to find your stable overclock. Download evga precision x to do your overclocking on your gpu if you don't have it already.

sTaTIx

Word on the street is this game runs like absolute poo poo on ATI cards currently. See tweet and responses:

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/332522660670091264

One guy using a midrange AMD card saying he's getting poor performance isn't much of an indicator of anything. Not to mention he probably had PhysX on, or something stupid like that.

Besides, even if the game is poorly optimized at the moment for a particular brand, you can bet that manufacturer will come out with driver updates before you know it, and bring the performance to par--sooner or later.

Top Bottom