• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
It's possible to select a different location, so you have a choice.

How, though? It only lets me pick the directory when I install released games. Preloading never lets me pick the directory I want.

Also, I just clicked on the preload button, and the preload took all of one second. what?

sixghost

Wait... you have to preorder to get ranger mode?

banner.jpg

"Pre-order and receive the Limited Edition for Free!"

Wasn't Ranger the preferred way to play the original, after it was released? What a bunch of horseshit.

Ricker

Pre-ordered the PC boxed copy...I have all the optimum req except the video card,wich is a EVGA GTX560Ti...I will push it as high as I can...should look awesome.

Professor Pew

Neo Member
How, though? It only lets me pick the directory when I install released games. Preloading never lets me pick the directory I want.

Also, I just clicked on the preload button, and the preload took all of one second. what?

Something's not right.

Try restarting Steam if you get a lightning fast preload. That seems to work most of the time when preloading does this.

Unless you have a 100 Gbit connection or something.

Portugeezer

One guy using a midrange AMD card saying he's getting poor performance isn't much of an indicator of anything. Not to mention he probably had PhysX on, or something stupid like that.

Besides, even if the game is poorly optimized at the moment for a particular brand, you can bet that manufacturer will come out with driver updates before you know it, and bring the performance to par--sooner or later.

Herp midrange derp. Look at the recommended specs, jackass.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Yeah otherwise you have to pay for Ranger mode as DLC later. It's a load of shit really

I called it out in one of the earlier threads that we had one of the devs/pubs posting in months ago calling out that bullshit and no one bat an eye. Glad to see this is starting to see some form of light. I call bullshit that they were unable to come up with some other sort of silly bonus no one would have really cared about as opposed to taking the mode that everyone wants and making it cost you more or force you to pull the trigger early.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i was extremely interested in playing this game in ranger mode, as i did the original.

i'm not at all interested in playing it in non-ranger mode.

you don't put a paywall on preference, morons. am i going to have to pay to invert mouse controls next?

I called it out in one of the earlier threads that we had one of the devs/pubs posting in months ago calling out that bullshit and no one bat an eye. Glad to see this is starting to see some form of light. I call bullshit that they were unable to come up with some other sort of silly bonus no one would have really cared about as opposed to taking the mode that everyone wants and making it cost you more or force you to pull the trigger early.

They had to offer some sort of incentive I guess and with MP being stripped out in the initial launch game they couldn't do the usual XP bonus or pre-order bonus gun etc. so ranger mode it was.

Need something to secure pre-orders I guess. It is a dick move, and I'd be surprised if they didn't know that themselves. But business is business

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Try restarting Steam if you get a lightning fast preload. That seems to work most of the time when preloading does this.

Unless you have a 100 Gbit connection or something.
I wish I did!

The preload works now, but I still can't change the preload location. It's great Steam now lets you choose where to install a released game, but still not letting you choose where to preload? C'mon, Valve.

They had to offer some sort of incentive I guess and with MP being stripped out in the initial launch game they couldn't do the usual XP bonus or pre-order bonus gun etc. so ranger mode it was.

Need something to secure pre-orders I guess. It is a dick move, and I'd be surprised if they didn't know that themselves. But business is business

My perspective:

I understand they needed a preorder incentive, and since Ranger Mode was post-release DLC for the last game, it might have seemed a logical choice for THQ/Deep Silver/4A Games to make it the preorder incentive/day one DLC for this game.

However, Ranger Mode is a combination difficulty modifier/gameplay modifier. It was a popular element of 2033 (which later saw its free inclusion in the Steam version, though it's still paid DLC on the Xbox 360), as it offered a much more immersive style of gameplay. To take something like this and separate it from the base game is disappointing, even if all preorders receive it and it's available as day one DLC.

Bottom line, while I understand why they made Ranger Mode separate from the main game (as preorder incentive/day one DLC), I wish they hadn't, and I hope that if there is a third Metro game, it comes with Ranger Mode by default.

cripterion

Surprised at the size of the game. Seems quite lightweight for this benchmark marketeted game.

First one wasn't really big in GB too though.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Surprised at the size of the game. Seems quite lightweight for this benchmark marketeted game.

First one wasn't really big in GB too though.

Metro 2033 was ~7.6GB and managed to have some really highly detailed assets, this one's got like an extra gig of goodness packed in there!

Stealth edit: And yeah, I understand that they needed something to appease the shitlord supreme buttsmears in charge of retail but Ranger mode is possibly the worst thing they could have picked.

Smash88

Banned
I'm sorry but this can't be called a Metro Last Light thread without this in the OP.

metrolastlightphysx_by_teddyterror-d5z1byf.gif

My eyes are weeping with joy right now.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry but this can't be called a Metro Last Light thread without this in the OP.

My eyes are weeping with joy right now.

I actually had that in my second post, but I'm pretty sure that's why my Dropbox bandwidth was eaten up in like five minutes. :X

Smash88

Banned
I actually had that in my second post, but I'm pretty sure that's why my Dropbox bandwidth was eaten up in like five minutes. :X

Funny enough, I was trying to upload the image to various sites, but nothing would accept a gif of 20.8MB - max was 20MB. So I just googled the image name, as I saved it under the original name, and found it through the deviantart link I posted now. :D

The Kid

Have they given out the free copy of the Metro 2033 ebook? If so, how do you get it? I want to read before playing last light and have redeemed my GMG code on Steam.

Saying that a mode "is the way the game is meant to be played" then hiding it behind a pre-order makes me not want to buy your game until it's cheaper than a fast food meal.

sTaTIx

I'm watching Youtube walkthroughs of this game right now, and I have to say I'm not terribly impressed. It all looks very linear and scripted. Like your usual FPS, except with some stealth and survival elements sprinkled it.

Deadbeat

Banned
I'm watching Youtube walkthroughs of this game right now, and I have to say I'm not terribly impressed. It all looks very linear and scripted. Like your usual FPS, except with some stealth and survival elements sprinkled it.
Thats basically what Metro 2033 was. Stalker and Cod having a baby.

pa22word

Problem was that even though I felt the scripting in Metro was fantastic, and the atmosphere and world they created was stunning, they never really reconciled the two styles they were trying to merge. The mechanics in Metro screamed for more breathing room that would have been allowed in a more open, RPG like game (such as...STALKER), yet the incredibly closed and downright claustrophobic level design hampered this. I'm hoping they managed to either open the game up enough to really let their mechanics shine (doubtful), or they reigned in the mechanics enough to match the type of game they're making.

Karak

Not my current impression actually having hands on thats for sure.
Luckily there is always gamefly.

TTG

Absolutely loved the first game, definitely playing this. One question:

Is the ps3 version going to include Russian audio as an option?

FGMPR

Banned

More like STALKER and H-L2 had a baby. The pace of game is much slower and theres no real infinite spawning enemies/whack-a-mole CoD moments. There is also a lot of walking around and exploring the linear levels without fighting as the story progresses similar to H-L 2.

Hypron

Problem was that even though I felt the scripting in Metro was fantastic, and the atmosphere and world they created was stunning, they never really reconciled the two styles they were trying to merge. The mechanics in Metro screamed for more breathing room that would have been allowed in a more open, RPG like game (such as...STALKER), yet the incredibly closed and downright claustrophobic level design hampered this. I'm hoping they managed to either open the game up enough to really let their mechanics shine (doubtful), or they reigned in the mechanics enough to match the type of game they're making.

Come on now, I'm (re)playing through the game now and it's not "incredibly closed". It's a lot more open than a call of duty for example. Most of the big fights happen in arenas that you can approach from several angles, you have several paths most of time... It's no open world game but let's not exaggerate.

AndyCH

Banned
so my 7870 and 3570k will be good to go right?....right?

because metro 2033 gave me trouble in random ass areas.

pa22word

Playing the first to get prepared for LL, and holy fuck this stealth section in chapter 2 is probably the worst I've played in years. It's trying to act as a tutorial of sorts for the stealth and failing so miserably it's almost to the point I'm going to uninstall this game over it. "Hey kill this sentry!" *runs into corner and gives no indication of either which sentry he wants you to take out, does nothing regardless of who you kill, and sits in the corner like an idiot if you decide to be smart and skip the shitty stealth* This isn't even getting into how asinine and unpredictable the AI is.

Better games have had me throw them out over shit this bad, and if I hadn't paid 30+ on the sequel I would have already uninstalled it. Please tell me the stealth remains largely optional from here on out.

edit: aaand done with the game. Hope the sequel's better, will plot synopsis the first.

That's a pretty great rant. He's totally right though. I remember the Deep Silver dude here saying that he thought Ranger mode is the least painful preorder bonus to have. Complete bullshit.

Yeah, I honestly didn't even think much of it before that speel. Still, they got me I suppose. Had my friend pre-order it for me given I don't have the extraneous funds until Monday.

Question though, GMG sent 3 codes. Two of which are standard size, 15 characters. However, there was a third code which was only 8 and not separated by dashes. What is that about?

FGMPR

Banned
Yeah, I honestly didn't even think much of it before that speel. Still, they got me I suppose. Had my friend pre-order it for me given I don't have the extraneous funds until Monday.

Question though, GMG sent 3 codes. Two of which are standard size, 15 characters. However, there was a third code which was only 8 and not separated by dashes. What is that about?

to redeem the prequel comic at https://digital.darkhorse.com/metro/

FGMPR

Banned
Playing the first to get prepared for LL, and holy fuck this stealth section in chapter 2 is probably the worst I've played in years. It's trying to act as a tutorial of sorts for the stealth and failing so miserably it's almost to the point I'm going to uninstall this game over it. "Hey kill this sentry!" *runs into corner and gives no indication of either which sentry he wants you to take out, does nothing regardless of who you kill, and sits in the corner like an idiot if you decide to be smart and skip the shitty stealth* This isn't even getting into how asinine and unpredictable the AI is.

Better games have had me throw them out over shit this bad, and if I hadn't paid 30+ on the sequel I would have already uninstalled it. Please tell me the stealth remains largely optional from here on out.

edit: aaand done with the game. Hope the sequel's better, will plot synopsis the first.

I didn't really play that section as stealth, so just go in guns blazing. I've found stealth overall to be a lot more playable on Ranger easy as opposed to the normal game modes because the enemies go down so much quicker and often don't have time to alert the others unlike when they are bullet-sponges. With some throwing knives (learning to knife enemies with the throwing knives in quick succession and no crosshair is very satisfying) or a silenced pistol the "silent killer" aspect of the gameplay opens way up. I remember in my first run through (on release/no ranger) feeling like the games stealth just didn't work, but I've definitely changed my tune this time around. The sequel looks a lot better as well, giving you the ability to do backstab-style stealth kills.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
What I want to know, Is how do we let the publishers know that it is because of pre order incentives etc that we are not buying the game day one?? So they don't turn round and say it's a flop!?!

If anyone has any questions they would like answered when the embargo is up, let me know and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

i am seriously underwhelmed at the gfx in every youtube i have seen of this for the most part, 360 or not, and i've always considered the metro series to be very average looking games despite their herculean system requirements.

it's to be expected i guess, this is going to be a small team. it isn't ubisoft or rockstar here. typical east-european ish game for better or worse, rough around the edges, not particularly optimized, etc.

FGMPR

Banned
What I want to know, Is how do we let the publishers know that it is because of pre order incentives etc that we are not buying the game day one?? So they don't turn round and say it's a flop!?!

That's the problem. Especially with a game like Metro in that I want it to succeed other than for the fact that the publisher decided to implement their pre-order scheme in the worst way possible. I guess the only way is email/online petitions/keep complaining on well known forums like GAF etc.

I get the feeling that they already know it's causing quite a stir and wouldn't be surprised if they avoided ripping something so integral to the experience out of the game again like they have here. At least I hope that's how it works because it really is the scummiest day1 DLC act from a publisher since EA's Mass Effect 3 storyline/character omission.

Top Bottom