• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date

Hawkie

Its an acutal book the game is based on it. Check reviews out for it you can see it is widely renowned as being a great book. I found it on amazon for £7 though the sequel is seemingly impossible to find in ENglish.

The second game is not based on the second book, however, the second book, Metro 2034, has been translated from the German version into English by a dedicated fan (160hours work) and offered free

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't know if they actually require it though, I think they might have been just dancing around the issue a bit and passing blame. From what I have seen over the past few years it's been publishers who demand pre-order bonuses to secure sales

Shelf space and promotion is a big culprit. If you think about it, there's a lot of games that need to be on a store shelf, and where a game is positioned on a shelf is a big deal too. Nobody wants to be too far up the top or bottom, instead eye level.

Retailer specific pre-order bonuses are basically an incentive to ensure your game gets a good spot on the shelf, and that the retailer does a bit of promotion for the game pre-release, like pre-order cases on the shelf, signs, posters, and so on.

Pre-order bonuses aren't just the retailer's fault. Publishers do want you putting money down for games before they come out. But retailers aren't helping the matter, and are largely responsible for the splintering of bonuses.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Sometimes games benefit from linearity and I feel Metro is one of them though obviously that is my opinion. The linear and scripted nature is to bring over an atmosphere that is hard to emulate in something more open.

Yeah would have to disagree with you there and also add my vote for Stalker did it just fine.

Since it really nailed the whole desolate feeling and sense of unknown danger with the open world it had created.

Watching vids made me worried this was just another corridor shooter and it sounds like that might be the case... if so unfortunately as much as I love the setting and want to support the devs for keeping the brand alive, dont think I want to drop down full price for a walk through a hallway so to speak.

Though to be fair to the devs, perhaps this was the best they could do considering what happened with THQ and with what resources was left to work with. The whole transitional phase must have screwed things up good and know how that feels too personally. But still as a consumer, once again dont think Ill be dropping full for this one unfortunately.

FroJay

Banned
I can get this for $49.95 free shipping but it won't be to me until later in the week. Money is tight......do I pull the trigger?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I can get this for $49.95 free shipping but it won't be to me until later in the week. Money is tight......do I pull the trigger?

Do you own 2033 on Steam? Or do you prefer a boxed copy?

slabrock

Banned
Why is the whole ranger mode thing is such a big deal now? Hasn't that pre order thing been in place since thq was still an actual entity? Seems odd that all of a sudden it becomes a thing.

Lingitiz

Why is the whole ranger mode thing is such a big deal now? Hasn't that pre order thing been in place since thq was still an actual entity? Seems odd that all of a sudden it becomes a thing.
I don't think its all of a sudden. The game has way more eyes on it now than it ever has. Even people who have no intention of buying it are seeing this idiotic preorder garbage.

Yeah would have to disagree with you there and also add my vote for Stalker did it just fine.

Since it really nailed the whole desolate feeling and sense of unknown danger with the open world it had created.

Watching vids made me worried this was just another corridor shooter and it sounds like that might be the case... if so unfortunately as much as I love the setting and want to support the devs for keeping the brand alive, dont think I want to drop down full price for a walk through a hallway so to speak.

Though to be fair to the devs, perhaps this was the best they could do considering what happened with THQ and with what resources was left to work with. The whole transitional phase must have screwed things up good and know how that feels too personally. But still as a consumer, once again dont think Ill be dropping full for this one unfortunately.

Thing is though STALKER did atmosphere well yes but they are two completely different types of games. You can't just turn 2033 into an open world game it wouldn't make sense.

M.W.

Dude playing on the PS3 is awful. And, yes, the hand wiping is annoying...15 seconds in. Can't wait for Tuesday though.

Ranger mode only free for pre-order?

What a fucking joke. How can they not include the mode in which the game should be played? I won't have a PC that can pay this for a few months...not buying the game now for fucking ranger shit.

I supported the developer with metro 2033, and can't wait to play this one, but what an idiotic thing to do.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
The hand wiping is going to get annoying if it is that prelivant through most of the game. Can't wait for Tuesday though.

I've played the PC version through several times over the past few months and I've never seen any hand wiping. Instead, what you have there is the player pressing and not holding the gas mask on/off button.

Hypron

Metro 2033 kind of made things worse on easy mode - Ranger Hardcore was the way to go. Pretty much everything went down in one well placed shot instead of taking 40 to the face.

This. You only had to look out for armours (they can deflect bullets), otherwise everything died incredibly quickly (and you died quickly too).

FGMPR

Banned
Ranger easy also did the job. The creatures still take a while to go down (especially one type later in the game), but the human enemies go down very quick. It's hard to overstate how much better the experience was for me on ranger easy compared to normal, which was the mode I used when I first played it.

pa22word

Ranger easy also did the job. The creatures still take a while to go down (especially one type later in the game), but the human enemies go down very quick. It's hard to overstate how much better the experience was for me on ranger easy compared to normal, which was the mode I used when I first played it.

I might restart on Ranger mode then, because the game on normal isn't really doing anything for me outside of the atmosphere.

Can someone detail the differences between both Ranger Easy and Ranger Hardcore? Then list them vs Normal and Hard? I wish the game just listed them in the new game menu like every other decent game would (I had no idea what difficulty to pick when I started the game, lol), but bleh...

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Can you switch to Ranger at any time in 2033 or do you have to start again? I wouldn't mind the bullet sponges going away.

You can change difficulty in the options menu but I can't recall if Ranger modes are swappable or if they require a restart. Away from my PC atm.

I might restart on Ranger mode then, because the game on normal isn't really doing anything for me outside of the atmosphere.

Can someone detail the differences between both Ranger Easy and Ranger Hardcore? Then list them vs Normal and Hard? I wish the game just listed them in the new game menu like every other decent game would (I had no idea what difficulty to pick when I started the game, lol), but bleh...

Ranger is essentially HUDless mode, Ranger Easy giving a damage bump to Artyom's weapons but enemies also get this courtesy. Things are still somewhat bullet spongey here, and items aren't as scarce. Ranger Hardcore really amps it up, most shots are kills so long as you get them in a vital area (head, heart) and don't hit armor. This also goes for you. One or two direct hits will put you into an early grave. The major difference is the lack of ammo you get. Instead of picking up 15+ bullets per pickup off a body, you're lucky to get 2 bullets per body. There are still a lot of predetermined drop zones but you rarely get exactly what you need from them.

Hypron

Ranger is essentially HUDless mode, Ranger Easy giving a damage bump to Artyom's weapons but so do the enemies. Things are still somewhat bullet spongey here, and items aren't as scarce. Ranger Hardcore really amps it up, most shots are kills so long as you get them in a vital area (head, heart) and don't hit armor. The major difference is the lack of ammo you get. Instead of picking up 15+ bullets per pickup off a body, you're lucky to get 2 bullets per body. There are still a lot of predetermined drop zones but you rarely get exactly what you need from them.

Yep. Although, the only part of the game where you're really going to lack ammo is the beginning. After a bit you have enough money to buy enough ammo for the rest of the game.

Yep. Although, the only part of the game where you're really going to lack ammo is the beginning. After a bit you have enough money to buy enough ammo for the rest of the game.

I fought the Amoebas with 6 bullets ;-; The amount of horrible, glitching and arguably game breaking things I had to do to get through that section will forever haunt me. Three hours.

You can change difficulty in the options menu but I can't recall if Ranger modes are swappable or if they require a restart. Away from my PC atm.

Ranger is essentially HUDless mode, Ranger Easy giving a damage bump to Artyom's weapons but enemies also get this courtesy. Things are still somewhat bullet spongey here, and items aren't as scarce. Ranger Hardcore really amps it up, most shots are kills so long as you get them in a vital area (head, heart) and don't hit armor. This also goes for you. One or two direct hits will put you into an early grave. The major difference is the lack of ammo you get. Instead of picking up 15+ bullets per pickup off a body, you're lucky to get 2 bullets per body. There are still a lot of predetermined drop zones but you rarely get exactly what you need from them.

I just tried it and yeah you can switch it to any difficultly at any time trying out Ranger easy for now.

Hypron

I fought the Amoebas with 6 bullets ;-; The amount of horrible, glitching and arguably game breaking things I had to do to get through that section will forever haunt me. Three hours.

Man, you're my hero. I don't know how I'd been able to get through that part without ammo haha.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
It's also worth noting that you can turn off the HUD and crosshair without Ranger Mode. When you reload and change weapons the ammo display will appear on the bottom right, and you'll still get action prompts (lightbulb symbol on lights that can be manually turned off, for example), but outside of that you'll have a HUD-free screen.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Max Payne 3 was something like 30GB. I'm okay with small pre-loads for the time being, especially since Rome II is destined to be fucking stupid huge.

FGMPR

Banned
Max Payne 3 was something like 30GB. I'm okay with small pre-loads for the time being, especially since Rome II is destined to be fucking stupid huge.

Slightly off-topic, but I've noticed that Shogun 2, as well as Napoleon's download sizes both dropped from around 22GB to 11GB recently. I think that goes to show that the Steam download size doesn't actually mean as much as people likely attribute to it, especially if we are dealing with games with loads of voice-over work in multiple languages etc.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Hmm doesn't looks amazing. Can't wait for Tuesday though.

As I said before, the "hand wiping" is the player pressing the gas mask on/off button and not holding it down, thereby stopping the animation part way through.

A lot of that 30GB was HD vids. Last Light has equally good textures, and keeps the size down through excellent compression.

Slightly off-topic, but I've noticed that Shogun 2, as well as Napoleon's download sizes both dropped from around 22GB to 11GB recently. I think that goes to show that the Steam download size doesn't actually mean as much as people likely attribute to it, especially if we are dealing with games with loads of voice-over work in multiple languages etc.

That was the result of a Creative Assembly optimization effort: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?574462-Otomo-Clan-DLC-amp-Optimisation-Patch

Domstercool

As I said before, the "hand wiping" is the player pressing the gas mask on/off button and not holding it down, thereby stopping the animation part way through.

[/url]

Hand wiping is a mechanic in the game. It's used to clear blood/water from the gas mask, but you hardly have to use it. You are free to spam it though. It was mentioned in a couple of previews not too long ago.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Hand wiping is a mechanic in the game. It's used to clear blood/water from the gas mask, but you hardly have to use it. You are free to spam it though. It was mentioned in a couple of previews not too long ago.

I have the release candidate version here (newer than the press review one), and have never seen that option mentioned, nor is there a button for it in the options menu or config file.

Edit: It's a press of the gas mask on/off button. Never saw a tutorial hint about, nor found myself needing such an option. Weird!

Domstercool

I have the release candidate version here (newer than the press review one), and have never seen that option mentioned, nor is there a button for it in the options menu or config file.

Edit: It's a press of the gas mask on/off button. Never saw a tutorial hint about, nor found myself needing such an option. Weird!

You may have missed it? It's only small help text that pops up.

Shamelessly stolen from video (jesus, people have nearly all up on YouTube O_O )

meetrogifstzlh.gif

Although I loved the first one, I never replayed it. The world is great, and the atmosphere is kick ass, but damn the game offers absolutely no replay value.

The first at least gave some experimentation to certain situations, but mostly was just a linear path with some dead ends to explore.

It's a real shame as the metro structure would lend itself immensely well to a Metroid Prime style game design. It would also make the currency and diplomatic/hostile relations between some of the stations more important to the gameplay.

I'll pick this up when it's on sale, for less than 10 just like the original, because I love the atmosphere and fiction, but the game itself just didn't impress me enough to spend more than 10 bucks on it.

Especially not with my current budget.

Fuck it, I preordered the 360 version. I liked the atmosphere of the first one, so I'm sure I'll find plenty to like in this one. Itching for something new to play anyway.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
You may have missed it? It's only small help text that pops up.

Shamelessly stolen from video (jesus, people have nearly all up on YouTube O_O )

meetrogifstzlh.gif

I have Hints disabled, that'll be why. Figured something like that would be mentioned on the loading screens.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
It looks like a condensation effect similar to the first game. It drives me insane. I hate crap on my screen! It's nice for immersion but makes screenshots outside a pain :)

Take the gas mask off, you have just enough time to take a shot before you die.

You know what would be cool for this game? Oculus Rift. They could really do something special with the gas mask and the rift together to give that narrowed sense of vision.

Yep, I am perfectly fine with my 7.8GB pre-load. Max Payne 3 took me like 2 days to download cos my internet is so shitty. In a perfect world we would all have 100 meg broadband and they could include bigger resolution assets etc. but right now it's fine

Top Bottom