• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date

AHA-Lambda

I'm watching Youtube walkthroughs of this game right now, and I have to say I'm not terribly impressed. It all looks very linear and scripted. Like your usual FPS, except with some stealth and survival elements sprinkled it.

Hmm, that's disappointing, hoping to see improvements over 2033 but what you described was my issues with it.

Hmm, that's disappointing, hoping to see improvements over 2033 but what you described was my issues with it.

Sometimes games benefit from linearity and I feel Metro is one of them though obviously that is my opinion. The linear and scripted nature is to bring over an atmosphere that is hard to emulate in something more open.

AHA-Lambda

Sometimes games benefit from linearity and I feel Metro is one of them though obviously that is my opinion. The linear and scripted nature is to bring over an atmosphere that is hard to emulate in something more open.

I don't know, I feel STALKER nailed it better but I'm still willing to rent this and see for myself anyway.

educator

I pre ordered this game back in october 2011 and have been waiting faithfully since then. Very few games got to me like Metro 2033 did, and Last Light looks equally as awesome. I've deliberately stayed away from reading too much about it (trust me, thats hard...), but I'm really hoping for even more stealth this time.

Don't know what else to write, I just want to play it now!

I pre ordered this game back in october 2011 and have been waiting faithfully since then. Very few games got to me like Metro 2033 did, and Last Light looks equally as awesome. I've deliberately stayed away from reading too much about it (trust me, thats hard...), but I'm really hoping for even more stealth this time.

Don't know what else to write, I just want to play it now!

Read the novel its based on? Its a great book and has been tying me over quite well.

educator

Read the novel its based on? Its a great book and has been tying me over quite well.

I haven't! I read Metro 2033 (the book) after I played the game though which was real nice, even though some might argue I should have read the book first. Where can I get a hold of the novel?

EDIT: Is it an actual book or something the developers wrote?

I haven't! I read Metro 2033 (the book) after I played the game though which was real nice, even though some might argue I should have read the book first. Where can I get a hold of the novel?

EDIT: Is it an actual book or something the developers wrote?

Its an acutal book the game is based on it. Check reviews out for it you can see it is widely renowned as being a great book. I found it on amazon for £7 though the sequel is seemingly impossible to find in ENglish.

Seeing a video from Angry Joe. 5 bucks for a hard mode? Really?

I must say it does make me pretty annoyed that Ranger Mode costs extra... sadly it is the reality of this business.

4A should consider self publishing via digital IMO.... for their next game. I am curious to see how much it could damage their income.

educator

Its an acutal book the game is based on it. Check reviews out for it you can see it is widely renowned as being a great book.

How did I miss that!?

I wont have the time to read it before release but I'll sure as hell pick it up afterwards. It's pretty fun reading the "original" after playing the game, because I constantly got flashbacks from the game which made the story more intriguing.

Jintor

Its an acutal book the game is based on it. Check reviews out for it you can see it is widely renowned as being a great book. I found it on amazon for £7 though the sequel is seemingly impossible to find in ENglish.

So I heard there's a pdf of the sequel coming with Last Light, anybody know if it's the legit sequel or a novelisation of the game? I know the original author wrote it though.

Nokterian

I must say it does make me pretty annoyed that Ranger Mode costs extra... sadly it is the reality of this business.

4A should consider self publishing via digital IMO.... for their next game. I am curious to see how much it could damage their income.

Well a lot,when you buy a game a hard mode is mandetory not a thing to buy it. This is the state of games and this will cripple there sales by a lot.

cripterion

Hoping for an FOV slider. Launched a savegame of the previous title and makes me want to nauseous at times going through corridors :(

Any of the people with review copies playing with a 670 or nvidia hardware in general? Hoping I'll get a steady 30 at Max. Did so with Crysis 3, outside of the first level and some random drops here and there. Also want to stream it, so I'll likely need some leeway. Do need to try OBS though, hear it's much less demanding than Xsplit.

Zemm

ranger mode was DLC for 2033 as well (according to wikia)

Free DLC iirc?

They are charging £35 for this on Steam, £5 more than pretty much every game other than the CoD's, AND they are making a difficulty a pre-order DLC. So fucking scummy, will wait until it's £5 in a Steam sale.

Free DLC.

They are charging £35 for this on Steam, £5 more than pretty much every game other than the CoD's, AND they are making a difficulty a pre-order DLC. So fucking scummy, will wait until it's £5 in a Steam sale.

I bought mine off a site called Kinguin, its pretty good and I got my metro code instantly only cost me £25 its now only something like £22.

Zemm

Never heard of that site but that is a good price. On the other hand I don't want to reward them for these pre-order shenanigans so I'm prepared to wait until it goes on sale.

cripterion

Yeah already posted and perhaps some shameful shit but on the other hand games on pc are becoming cheaper as a whole. I haven't played the first game in ranger mode and don't even know if I will on this one, so I could care less but it still comes for free if you preorder the game, a brand new game that is, for 30euros (bought it on GOG).

EDIT : I could see how having the ranger mode enhances the replayability of this type of game though considering there are no multiplayer elements.

Sethos

Banned
Yup. It's pathetic locking a mode like that away, there's a million and three things you could do as a pre-order incentive but locking that away is bullshit.

Yeah already posted and perhaps some shameful shit but on the other hand games on pc are becoming cheaper as a whole. I haven't played the first game in ranger mode and don't even know if I will on this one, so I could care less but it still comes for free if you preorder the game, a brand new game that is, for 30euros (bought it on GOG).

How did you get it so cheap on GOG? Is there some code discount I do not know of?
If so, could you PM the details?

Probably shouldn't have mentioned the site I got it from I don't usually use key sites like that but I am strapped for cash :p

Anyway finally preloaded, now just to patiently wait until Tuesday.

Looks pretty good for a current gen game but the frame-rate looks like it's not smooth with some tearing here and there.

I guess I'll have to wait for the inevitable DF face-off to see which version is the best.

Given this games Heavy GPU-ness. I would not be surprised if it was the xbox version.

Deadbeat

Banned
More like STALKER and H-L2 had a baby. The pace of game is much slower and theres no real infinite spawning enemies/whack-a-mole CoD moments. There is also a lot of walking around and exploring the linear levels without fighting as the story progresses similar to H-L 2.
Id have to say the amount of QTEs is what makes me say its more like cod. Then theres the one rails turret sections, the RUN RUN RUN moments, the fact you are paired with people quite a lot of the time as well. The other sections you described could be linked to stalker and its underground levels.

People actually thought this would be some open, dynamic survival feast of a game?

Yeah it makes no sense. People complaining about it being linear makes no sense. It was always gonna be linear

Also that Angry Joe rant is spot on. He fucking nailed it. I'm sure the devs know just how much of a dick move it is though

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Angry Joe ranting so you don't have to!

This is quite ridiculous. And here I thought Bethesda would do right by this game.

Also that Angry Joe rant is spot on. He fucking nailed it. I'm sure the devs know just how much of a dick move it is though

First, I agree with everything he said - putting post-release Ranger Mode under a paywall is punishing the player. Not just disappointing like I said earlier.

Second, he brings up a rather interesting point: retailers requiring preorder incentives is something I hadn't heard about prior to this game. I always thought, perhaps naively, that offering retailer exclusive preorder bonuses was something the publisher decided, rather than specific retailers requiring the incentives.

Second, he brings up a rather interesting point: retailers requiring preorder incentives is something I hadn't heard about prior to this game. I always thought, perhaps naively, that offering retailer exclusive preorder bonuses was something the publisher decided, rather than specific retailers requiring the incentives.

I don't know if they actually require it though, I think they might have been just dancing around the issue a bit and passing blame. From what I have seen over the past few years it's been publishers who demand pre-order bonuses to secure sales

Top Bottom