• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date

Naito

No. Apparently it's in first all edition copies. I think 4A themselves said this. Pre-order guarantees you a first edition copy so it's technically the only way to 100% secure free ranger mode but it's not the only way - buying the game in the first couple of months will suffice.
I meant on Steam, not retail copies. And Razyl already pointed that out.

Anyone with a review copy beat the game yet? I'm trying to figure out how much of the game I have left. I just got to the
church

Can't confirm this. i5 760, AMD 7970 OC and 8 GB Ram - 45 to 55 FPS with Settings "high", 4xSSAA, 16xAF and normal Tesselation. "Very high" and "high Tesselation" and i got ~30 FPS, sometimes lower. Just with activated physx-effects its a disaster on AMD cards, but yeah... i think thats just normal.

That is a shit tonne of AA lol.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Is 2-4x MSAA an option? I'll probably roll with that. SSAA is nice and all, but it kills performance.

No, MSAA has gone bye bye. When using a deferred renderer MSAA has an insane performance cost. 4A have replaced it with Supersampling Anti-Aliasing, which renders the game at a higher res on the GPU (1.4x-2x), then downsamples it to your screen res (e.g. 1920x1080).

This increases visible detail, pretty much eliminates aliasing, and is way faster than MSAA.

4xSSAA ... well you've got to commend the fella' for having exquisite taste.

Indeed, but with everything on max 4xSSAA is gonna be a stretch without a top end system.

Anyone with a review copy beat the game yet? I'm trying to figure out how much of the game I have left. I just got to the
church

You're about
half way through

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The bane of deferred rendering engines. We'll see a lot of this going into next generation. Lots of SSAA solutions instead of MSAA. It's almost like we've gone back in time, due to going forward.

Hoping the SMAA injector works well enough with Last Light. I can't recall if it works with a DX11 renderer though. I seem to be one of the very few people who, despite loving relatively high end PC gaming, doesn't mind tearing or (depending on the game) aliasing if sacrifices mean a better framerate and/or tighter control response. I almost never turn on vsync because the mouse lag is instantly noticeable. A good dose of SMAA can clean up the image pretty well without the performance cost of SSAA/MSAA. The in-engine implementation of SMAA and TXAA in Crysis 3 works really well. Hopefully the Metro crew can consider patching them in later.

A lot of that 30GB was HD vids. Last Light has equally good textures, and keeps the size down through excellent compression.

Yeah, I know. And it's so annoying. I mean, its nice of Rockstar to encode their videos at a higher than usual SD resolution, but good god does it chew up so much space. Doesn't help Max Payne 3 is like watching a TV season's worth of cutscenes with the occasional gameplay segment.

Ahh, I didn't realise that. Hadn't noticed the reduced content size. Looking forward to seeing what Rome II weighs in at. And then, hopefully, Medieval III :p.

Is the embargo midnight today, aka monday, or midnight tomorrow and Tuesday?

And with pre-loads I wish all games would have uncompressed video like Max Payne 3. Most disgusting thing about this generation of games is compressed cutscenes and horrible banding everywhere.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
The bane of deferred rendering engines. We'll see a lot of this going into next generation. Lots of SSAA solutions instead of MSAA. It's almost like we've gone back in time, due to going forward.

Hoping the SMAA injector works well enough with Last Light. I can't recall if it works with a DX11 renderer though. I seem to be one of the very few people who, despite loving relatively high end PC gaming, doesn't mind tearing or (depending on the game) aliasing if sacrifices mean a better framerate and/or tighter control response. I almost never turn on vsync because the mouse lag is instantly noticeable. A good dose of SMAA can clean up the image pretty well without the performance cost of SSAA/MSAA. The in-engine implementation of SMAA and TXAA in Crysis 3 works really well. Hopefully the Metro crew can consider patching them in later.

No need for SMAA, 4A's custom AAA mode is fantastic. At 1920x1080 I can barely detect any aliasing, even with a ton of Photo Viewer zoom, and at 2560x1440 I can't see any difference in anti-aliasing between AAA and SSAA.

AAA is FXAA combined with 4A tech, and it gets supersampled by 2X. If you enable SSAA the 2X is itself supersampled by whatever SSAA factor you selected (1.4x-2x), giving you a near-flawless SSAA + AAA image.

I'm probably gonna go with 2xAA and downsampling. That's usually the cleaner, better option for performance.

I don't mind jaggies all that much, as long as they aren't extremely noticeable. I hate sacrificing frames for slightly better looking edges. Only for screenshots do I bump it up

Replaying Metro 2033, is anyone else no longer able to take screenshots?

And lololol, replaying in preparation for tomorrow and I just got robbed by
Nikki
Two playthoughs and I never knew about that.

Edit: And does Last Light let you disable controllers? I keep my dualshock plugged in/connected to bluetooth as a 360 controller and as such whenever I play 2033 I have to disable it via Device Manager or the button Prompts won't go away.

Is the embargo midnight today, aka monday, or midnight tomorrow and Tuesday?

And with pre-loads I wish all games would have uncompressed video like Max Payne 3. Most disgusting thing about this generation of games is compressed cutscenes and horrible banding everywhere.

Yeah I'm curious too about emabargo date and time. Just not sure if I want to pull the trigger on this and buy it or Redbox it.

The embargo lifts tomorrow (5/13) at 9am Pacific

Cool, suppose I don't really care all that much given I have it pre-loaded, just wanted to see some more footage :D Currently playing on Ranger Easy in preparation(sadly Ranger Hardcore doesn't unlock both achievements) The gun smoke is still by far the best implementation of physx is in any game. Has it been improved at all in Last Light?

Razyl

AAA is FXAA combined with 4A tech, and it gets supersampled by 2X. If you enable SSAA the 2X is itself supersampled by whatever SSAA factor you selected (1.4x-2x), giving you a near-flawless SSAA + AAA image.

Ahhh, thought without activated SSAA there is no AA, but that's great. Without or with 2xSSAA performance is nearly excellent. Consistenly 50 to 60 FPS, just when shadow flickering with amd cards it is under 35 FPS.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
No need for SMAA, 4A's custom AAA mode is fantastic. At 1920x1080 I can barely detect any aliasing, even with a ton of Photo Viewer zoom, and at 2560x1440 I can't see any difference in anti-aliasing between AAA and SSAA.

Cool. I'm usually against FXAA as I find 99% of games implement way too much blur as an aliasing solution, so I'm keen to see how 4A's looks.

If I can get decent performance with 2xSSAA and everything maxed I think I'm in for a treat.

KKRT00

I'm waiting for IQ tests from Metro: LL, their solution seems very smart, but i dont know if its viable for every game. For example, how would it work in something like Crysis 3 level with full of grass and tons of thin geometry in distance?
Still every game should allow for SSAA options like Metro:LL, having ability to use SSAA 2x with range from 1.4x-2x seems like perfect way to say goodbye to OGSSAA or other downsampling techniques and will enable for dynamic SSAA resolution solutions in future [dependent on frame cost].

having ability to use SSAA 2x with range from 1.4x-2x seems like perfect way to say goodbye to OGSSAA or other downsampling techniques and will enable for dynamic SSAA resolution solutions in future [dependent on frame cost].

Absolutely. Should pretty much be a given on PC. That, and FOV sliders :)

Whenever games give the option for SSAA, I just stack that on top of downsampling. At least for screenshots :) I'm just crazy like that, but the image quality in Need for Speed Most Wanted was too good not to.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My written review and two (very low spoiler) gameplay videos will be going up at embargo end. Looking forward to everyone's thoughts! :p

Sethos

Banned
Need to find a VPN, again. Every time we get those lame ass staggered launches, I need to find a VPN and I always forget names, uninstall it or whatever.

Need to find a VPN, again. Every time we get those lame ass staggered launches, I need to find a VPN and I always forget names, uninstall it or whatever.

FlyVPN is the go to one more or less, Choose a Korean server. Though the free trial is only usable 3 times in a day

FlyVPN is the go to one more or less, Choose a Korean server. Though the free trial is only usable 3 times in a day

Do the Koreans get it the same time as the US? I can't find a Korean release date anywhere. Either way living in England means I have to wait until friday so ill be using spotflux which is a 100% free VPN though it only has US servers but that is all I need really. If someone actually knows that the Korean version comes out earlier please tell me :p

Do the Koreans get it the same time as the US? I can't find a Korean release date anywhere. Either way living in England means I have to wait until friday so ill be using spotflux which is a 100% free VPN though it only has US servers but that is all I need really. If someone actually knows that the Korean version comes out earlier please tell me :p

Koreans are already on May 14th, they turned 12 am like 20 minutes ago. Some games unlock right at 12 for them but some don't, so I'm trying to find it now.

Otherwise yeah spotflux is the best one but you have to wait for the US release

hitoshi

Did you play Metro 2033? What do you think of this game compared to that?

I have bought it three times but only played 2 hours each and I hated it. I am planning to go back to it - it can not be compared to that, its in a totally other league, visually, or when it comes to gameplay. But it's true LL is MUCH "easier" and not as complex because you don't have to be mindful about enemies and gas masks anymore. But i love the level design: i only use guns as a last resort. Last night I have spent 1 hour in a single area to do it with stealth only, and I enjoy it as much as I did in Deus Ex.

Bought it for just under £18 my crappy 550ti will struggle with this, don't mind running it at 720p with things turned down though....I guess :(

I have bought it three times but only played 2 hours each and I hated it. I am planning to go back to it - it can not be compared to that, its in a totally other league, visually, or when it comes to gameplay. But it's true LL is MUCH "easier" and not as complex because you don't have to be mindful about enemies and gas masks anymore. But i love the level design: i only use guns as a last resort. Last night I have spent 1 hour in a single area to do it with stealth only, and I enjoy it as much as I did in Deus Ex.

Some of that really sounds worrying, but the stealth part me likey

Deadbeat

Banned
Most of your post reminds me of Dead Space 3 impressions and that turned out to be a disaster. Really worried now.

And here's some screens I took while playing:

iMrl2FEjTEBH1.bmp

iN4t1FqiZmh1l.bmp

iw8zA0jSWXzFt.bmp

iC8pheG7UDmYH.bmp

Top Bottom