• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

Newboi

I have both Metro 2033 and Last Light, but I went ahead and bought Redux on Steam lol.

I would love to finally go back and beat 2033. That game had a ridiculous number of engine issues that sucked up performance outside of the insane graphical effects. Not sure why performance increased massively when I forced vysnc through the game's CFG files. Unfortunately, the game reset the CFG changes I made everytime I exited.

I have both Metro 2033 and Last Light, but I went ahead and bought Redux on Steam lol.

I would love to finally go back and beat 2033. That game had a ridiculous number of engine issues that sucked up performance outside of the insane graphical effects. Not sure why performance increased massively when I forced vysnc through the game's CFG files. Unfortunately, the game reset the CFG changes I made everytime I exited.
That means you were editing the wrong cfg. There are a couple.

Also, I can attest to teh fact that metro 2033 runs extremely well bar a few tweakable effects (Advanced DOF, PhysX (which is rather optimized), and MSAA). Otherwise the game pumps out a rather constant 60 if your rig is up to it.

yea

lack of motion blur sucks

Dont your have a rig with a 7970? Why not just get it there, it will run and look much better.

Same, already had it installed too. Now the preload of both games was only 150 mb ... made me think about the changes they've added. With 150mb, at least graphically I shouldn't expect too much change I guess?

Dont your have a rig with a 7970? Why not just get it there, it will run and look much better.
no, I sold my pc to my dad. He needed another one in his office. And looking at my financial situation, don't think i will be able to build another pc anytime soon. Plus I have to juggle between studies + work...

GavinUK86

Also, I can attest to teh fact that metro 2033 runs extremely well bar a few tweakable effects (Advanced DOF, PhysX (which is rather optimized), and MSAA). Otherwise the game pumps out a rather constant 60 if your rig is up to it.

i could never fix it stuttering every 10-15 seconds. nothing to do with my system not powerful enough either. it seemed to happen to a lot of people with no obvious fix.

no, I sold my pc to my dad. He needed another one in his office. And looking at my financial situation, don't think i will be able to build another pc anytime soon. Plus I have to juggle between studies + work...

Damn!
Still, should be bad ass on ps4 and xb1

i could never fix it stuttering every 10-15 seconds. nothing to do with my system not powerful enough either. it seemed to happen to a lot of people with no obvious fix.

If you ever wanted, I could troubleshoot it with you over PM. I have heard of this happening a bunch before but have some ideas to get arond it.

I can only hope Redux does not have that prob on your rig.

Newboi

I know there were a couple of CFGs (I believe 3) and I modified all of them. That engine had performance issues. The mere fact that the frame rate dramatically increased for me when I forced vsync in the in the CFG files doesn't make sense.

I have an overclocked core i7-3770K running at 4.4 GHz and 2 GTX 670s running in SLI. I ran the game with DoF off and the framerate would still fluctuate all over the place. I never had a bad experience playing it, but I couldn't hold a constant 60fps.

Catdaddy

The game is out in 3 days, and only 9 pages in the OT. With a majority of the posts pertaining to graphic comparisons across platforms. No one is buying this game are they? :<

I'm buying with a credit I have at Gamestop, and wasn't going to preorder, called my local store (hoping the street date was broken since there were people streaming...it wasn't) and he said they only had 2 PS4 copies intransit. So I went ahead and pre-ordered just in case.

I guess they are being upstaged with D3 last week and Destiny in a couple of weeks. Never played the Metro, so taking the afternoon off to hopefully enjoy playing them.

Kssio_Aug

Why there was no pre-order on PSN of this game? =o
That's so strange...

Sad, I thought I would be able to pre-load! =(

Stormus

I am very excited for this release. Once I finish Wolfenstein, I'll be sure to pick this up. For my first play-through, would it completely be a bastardization to play in Spartan mode? I prefer fast pace run-and-gun gameplay, but if it's going to greatly take away from the ambiance it may not be worth it.

Newboi

I am very excited for this release. Once I finish Wolfenstein, I'll be sure to pick this up. For my first play-through, would it completely be a bastardization to play in Spartan mode? I prefer fast pace run-and-gun gameplay, but if it's going to greatly take away from the ambiance it may not be worth it.

You could have a mix of gameplay styles by playing in Spartan, but turning on Ranger mode. Metro is much more engaging when playing it with no hud.

Nah, I don't think so. I'm going to play my first time through on Spartan mode just because I know my play style (not a huge fan of resource management-intensive games).

I'll be going with Ranger + Spartan for 2033. Already played the original so I'm curious to see how much of an impact Spartan mode has on the gameplay.
Second playthrough will be Ranger + Survival which should be one hell of a challenge.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Rager Hardcore + Survival for both games.

I'm fuckin' ready.

Gurish

Can I play Ranger mode if it's my first playthrough? By what I've told there are some QTE parts in this game, will the QTE prompts will be visible on Ranger mode?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Can I play Ranger mode if it's my first playthrough? By what I've told there are some QTE parts in this game, will the QTE prompts will be visible on Ranger mode?

Just mash your use key whenever something's in slow-mo. Or something like that.

RoKKeR

One more day until release! Decided to switch over to picking up the digital versions on XBO instead of a retail copy. Figured the fewer game cases I have to travel with the better and these games are good to have digitally. (i.e won't be selling them)

I know there were a couple of CFGs (I believe 3) and I modified all of them. That engine had performance issues. The mere fact that the frame rate dramatically increased for me when I forced vsync in the in the CFG files doesn't make sense.

I have an overclocked core i7-3770K running at 4.4 GHz and 2 GTX 670s running in SLI. I ran the game with DoF off and the framerate would still fluctuate all over the place. I never had a bad experience playing it, but I couldn't hold a constant 60fps.

tbh sonuds like a problem with your rig / driver with the game. Your spec with DOF off (and most likely MSAA off) should be rocking above 60 fps 99.9% of the time.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
They said it is just going to be available starting on release day digitally and as a disc. No digital pre-order on consoles.

[tweet]https://mobile.twitter.com/MetroVideoGame/status/502801854775193600[/tweet]

BvpPnx2CcAAtHmm.jpg
Thanks!

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
It's always the same QTE and it involves the same button that i can mash? OK than, no big deal.

There are different QTEs, but I remember all of them being in slow-mo, that was the big giveaway.

M.W.

Sounds like this won't be available at midnight on consoles but when they update the stores the next day?

I'm very excited to get Metro Redux since I didn't play LL or 2033, but I heard the protagonist is silent in Metro, and I always kinda found silent protagonist to be a deal breaker, except for a few games like Dead Space or BioShock.

So in your opinion, Is Metro so good that a silent protagonist won't be a deal breaker for me, or what ?

B_Signal

I'm very excited to get Metro Redux since I didn't play LL or 2033, but I heard the protagonist is silent in Metro, and I always kinda found silent protagonist to be a deal breaker, except for a few games like Dead Space or BioShock.

So in your opinion, Is Metro so good that a silent protagonist won't be a deal breaker for me, or what ?

he's only silent in game, on the loading screens he talks like he's telling someone the story, and there's diary pieces to find that are written from his point of view

Watevaman

It depends on why you don't like silent protags. If you feel the story is any less important because the protag doesn't talk, that's not the case in the Metro series, where the story is presented through the world very efficiently. Also, as said above, Artyom does narrate via journal entries at points of loading (typically new chapters).

he's only silent in game, on the loading screens he talks like he's telling someone the story, and there's diary pieces to find that are written from his point of view

It depends on why you don't like silent protags. If you feel the story is any less important because the protag doesn't talk, that's not the case in the Metro series, where the story is presented through the world very efficiently. Also, as said above, Artyom does narrate via journal entries at points of loading (typically new chapters).

Thanks alot, I think I'll dive in then.

B_Signal

Thinking of picking this up. Should I start with 2033 or just skip to last light?

Last Light is a huge improvement, and 2033 takes ages to get going, but it's a good game in its own right, and I'd say it's tenser and more atmospheric than Last Light. The story directly follows on too, so it's worth finishing 2033 just so it's not spoilt by Last Light

Gurish

Last Light is a huge improvement, and 2033 takes ages to get going, but it's a good game in its own right, and I'd say it's tenser and more atmospheric than Last Light. The story directly follows on too, so it's worth finishing 2033 just so it's not spoilt by Last Light

It might be a huge improvement over the original 2033 but is it a huge improvement over 2033 redux? for my understanding most of the original problems are now fixed and there is a gameplay parity between them as well as visuals.

d00d3n

So what time does this unlock? I'm VPNing it.

I'm also curious about this ... Sadly, openvpn to the vpngate servers (tried a few) does not seem to fool steam drm at the moment. Anyone else having more success with vpn to american steam? With what client? What server?

B_Signal

It might be a huge improvement over the original 2033 but is it a huge improvement over 2033 redux? for my understanding most of the original problems are now fixed and there is a gameplay parity between them as well as visuals.

it is in my opinion. 2033 Redux doesn't look like Last Light Redux, character models are still a bit clunky, and in LL there's more going on decorating the textures vines and the like.

Gameplay wise, LL is more about fighting humans, in the half of the game I've played any way. And some of the areas you fight humans in are huge, multipart levels. There's also less gimmicky stuff, again, so far, as I'm about halfway, but there's not a lot of gun turret stuff and so on

Anyone know why it unlocks at noon on the 26th for the US and not midnight? Seems kind of odd.

EDIT: Saw that tweet, is it because it's going on a Eastern Europe unlock time?

Top Bottom