• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

DOWN

Banned

Well if that's the difference between high and very high, that's reassuring. Looks almost the same, and undoubtedly will be nearly impossible to critique a difference if you aren't comparing side-by-side.

Looks like Very High has a little less fog so maybe it has less to hide.

Lookinh at the skin shader and shadows in the game, i think the ps4 version is on high. High does not have object blur, uses simplified skin shading, has lower res shadows with no penumbra effect as well as no tesselation by default.

DOWN

Banned
Damn. Bows are my favourite way to play stealth.

image.php

thinking bout the bows

Kezen

Banned
Lookinh at the skin shader and shadows in the game, i think the ps4 version is on high. High does not have object blur, uses simplified skin shading, has lower res shadows with no penumbra effect as well as no tesselation by default.

This is what IGN (...) has to say on the subject :
Already a great-looking game, this Last Light is visually a step up from the previous PS3/360 iteration, although Redux's PlayStation 4 and Xbox One editions still aren’t on par with the 2013 PC version running at high settings – which is disappointing, if not surprising.

This is what IGN (...) has to say on the subject :

I guess this would follow the trend of games like BF4 and watch dogs, which are like High/medium PC settings with the Very High version of textures.

Makes sense given how the consoles are balanced (lots of VRAM mid to low GPUs with CPUs that have trouble doing lots of draw calls).

ALso, how are you playing the PS4 version early :D

Kezen

Banned
I guess this would follow the trend of games like BF4 and watch dogs, which are like High/medium PC settings with the Very High version of textures.
Makes sense given how the consoles are balanced (lots a VRAM mid to low GPUs with CPUs that have trouble doing lotsa draw calls).
Can't you directly write to the GPU buffer to dispatch draw calls on consoles ?

ALso, how are you playing the PS4 version early :D
Stores are breaking street dates where I live.

Can't you directly write to the GPU buffer to dispatch draw calls on consoles ?
Stores are breaking street dates where I live.

Where do you live? This is a moment where I want to say "dammit" for using steam.

@drawcalls, yeah they can, but they also need powerful CPUs to still get many drawcalls even then. According to the recent SIGGRAPH slides from Crytek, the amount of drawcalls in Ryse originating from shadows were threatening the existence of Ryse coming at all to xb1. To get around it they had to implement a distance static shadow map to keep the framerate up.

Kezen

Banned
Where do you live? This is a moment where I want to say "dammit" for using steam.
France.

@drawcalls, yeah they can, but they also need powerful CPUs to still get many drawcalls even then. According to the recent SIGGRAPH slides from Crytek, the amount of drawcalls in Ryse originating from shadows were threatening the existence of Ryse coming at all to xb1. To get around it they had to implement a distance static shadow map to keep the framerate up.
Interesting. I'd like to learn more about the subject but that's not the thread for that.

France.

Interesting. I'd like to learn more about the subject but that's not the thread for that.

How does checking your watch work btw? Or checking your ammo in Ranger Hardcore survivalist?

That was always a problem in Metro LL, not knowing how much ammo you had left due to the "0" HUD in ranger hardcore.

Picking this up, i don't have a PC that can run these well enough to enjoy all the crazy stuff in the originals, so ill take these versions lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is motion blur needed at 60fps ? I'm playing the PS4 version as I write this and I think it looks very good. If fact I'm having a very hard time telling myself I'm not playing on PC.

It still can add to smoothness but I just really like motion blur in general. I consider it a necessity at 30fps but was just hoping to finally see a game running at 1080/60 on PS4 with good motion blur. It's not really a big deal though.

This game looks really good on xb1. Smooth as butter and a whole lot nicer looking than wolfenstein. No screen tearing so far either. The ability to wipe your visor is quite neat. Really hate the ADS right now but I guess it's old school weaponry.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This game looks really good on xb1. Smooth as butter and a whole lot nicer looking than wolfenstein. No screen tearing so far either. The ability to wipe your visor is quite neat. Really hate the ADS right now but I guess it's old school weaponry.

I LOVED Wolfenstein but it's not exactly hard to look better than that game
KuGsj.gif

Only thing I Have to compare it to really. This is really smooth so far but I'm quite early in. Sound is very nice too. Taking a break from Diablo so thought I would give this a shot.

I've seen some people saying the Normal mode is very easy.
For a newcomer do you recommend that difficulty or the Hardcore?

Pollux

Are crushed blacks noticeable? The seemed bad in some screenshots I've seen.

RoKKeR

Great to hear. Looking forward to grabbing my copy on Tuesday.

Are crushed blacks noticeable? The seemed bad in some screenshots I've seen.
Well you set the gamma at the start so.. No? My TV is also set properly. That being said, I'm not actively looking for "crushed blacks"

It looks nice and I have them both on pc with my 4gb amd 290. The good thing is no frame rate hitches and no tearing.

BUT my god the controls are terrible. So Damn confusing. I'm starting with LL for some reason and some of the button layouts make no sense at all.

It took me so long to rememebr how to turn off my Damn flashlight then there is the lighter button. Then there's an inventory button and another one for weapons.. It's not really logical.

The game is out in 3 days, and only 9 pages in the OT. With a majority of the posts pertaining to graphic comparisons across platforms. No one is buying this game are they? :<

RoKKeR

The game is out in 3 days, and only 9 pages in the OT. With a majority of the posts pertaining to graphic comparisons across platforms. No one is buying this game are they? :<

The Metro franchise name simply doesn't carry a lot of weight. It has plenty of fans and will probably sell decently given 4A's expectation, but it simply isn't on the level of popularity of a lot of even mid-tier franchises out there.

Shredderi

The Metro franchise name simply doesn't carry a lot of weight. It has plenty of fans and will probably sell decently given 4A's expectation, but it simply isn't on the level of popularity of a lot of even mid-tier franchises out there.

Which is a shame. One of the best single player FPS games I've ever played.

Cubed

The thirst is still real for PS4 and XB1 owners. We'll buy a lot of games we'd otherwise pass on just to fill the void til late Fall.

I know I am. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this game is mediocre or bad and is only going to get sales because of the summer drought; I just mean more people are willing to give it a shot when they're just desperate to play something on their new systems.

Codiox

My preorder is on! Can't wait, never played the games.

DOWN

Banned

Thread title should have had the game in all caps.

METRO REDUX looks way more sinister and intriguing

METRO
REDUX

M E T R O
R E D U X

Awesome game title.

The thirst is still real for PS4 and XB1 owners. We'll buy a lot of games we'd otherwise pass on just to fill the void til late Fall.

I know I am. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this game is mediocre or bad and is only going to get sales because of the summer drought; I just mean more people are willing to give it a shot when they're just desperate to play something on their new systems.
I can definitely agree with this. I haven't played my PS4 since Transistor, and MGS:GZ before that. I passed on TLOU:R and DIII:UEE since I already played both of them on their original platforms. Metro:R and Dark Souls 2 DLC should hold me out until Destiny.

Nizz

I'm getting it. Preordered the PS4 version last week. Amazon should get it here Tuesday, it's going to be a long day at work that day. &#128527;

I still think the game should have been released in the middle of the mouth.
I know a antecipated released date could mean a less polished game but a lot of people are interested in the game however they won't buy it because of Destiny.

psychotron

I still think the game should have been released in the middle of the mouth.
I know a antecipated released date could mean a less polished game but a lot of people are interested in the game however they won't buy it because of Destiny.

Middle of the mouth is best.

Top Bottom