• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

Haven't noticed any sound glitches on the PC or anything else major. The one thing there has been a lot of though is blasting a creature or human with the shotgun and having them get thrown with such force that they go through walls and get stuck.

And on ranger hardcore all enemies, human and creature alike, go down with one shot to the head with pretty much every weapon. Hasn't been a single time where a good shotgun blast hasn't taken them down. Although once I put the silencer on it sometimes took two if I was relatively far away. Luckily you can still use it to take out lights from halfway across the map.

Woah, this looks much better. I love you 4A!
Downloading now. Will consume this game once I'm back from work.

Xander51

Really impressed with how solid the framerate is on PS4. It's also cool to see all the changes they made to 2033, it feels like a proper remake.

Should i get Redux on PC or PS4?

I want steady 1080P 60fps (preferably maxed out), would these specs suffice?:
PC
i5 3570k
Radeon 280X 3GB
8GB RAM

PC vs PS4 graphics comparison looked pretty identical to me(but it was compressed footage)

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!

PC
i5 3570k
Radeon 280X 3GB
8GB RAM

PC vs PS4 graphics comparison looked pretty identical to me(but it was compressed footage)

If you don't get maxed I'd reckon you'd be pretty damn close. I say go for PC.

Mr. Tibbs

Holy cow, 2033 Redux runs great on my modest rig (i3-2100, 6950) and looks absolutely stunning. I love that they've removed the 3rd person cinematic cutaways and are strictly sticking to first person (barring the opening). Makes for a more consistent experience. I've only played for a couple of hours but it's clear a ton of love went into this re-release.

TJP

PC
i5 3570k
Radeon 280X 3GB
8GB RAM

You'll probably get close to max settings sans advanced PhysX at a consistent 60fps for the majority of the game. Swtiching to High will give you the most console like experience based on what IGN recon. Either way, I believe you'll be well pleased with PC or console as 4A know what they're doing.

derFeef

2033 looks and runs great on Xnox One. Playing on Ranger - feels great after switching to control scheme 3 :) How do I swipe off the mask though?

Had a go on it via VPN last night. I think theres some definite improvements but also some definite downgrades. Character models are a lot better, but they didn't do anything to change the guy Eugene (who rides the handcart with you and gives you a shotgun when nosalies attack), and his plastic mannequin head sticks out like a sore thumb.
Also, in that section when you wake up to the nosalies attack, theres a scripted bit where you fall off the handcart, then have to run to the station door. I remember in OG 2033 that bit blew me away every fucking time because as you run to the door, a spotlight sweeps left to right across the tunnel and it looked incredible. They totally removed the spotlight it in redux :|
The removal of a lot of the volumetric lights does hamper the atmosphere a bit, but the trade off is the new lighting looks a bit more natural and realistic IMO.
Also the lens flare off the moon in the prologue when you get attacked by the nosalies outside looks like a fucking laser beam.
Performance is obviously a lot better, everything maxed with advanced PhysX on and im still getting 60fps. (even 2xSSAA drops me down to 30-40fps which isn't bad considering)

Hammer24

Banned
Has anyone actually read the novel? I want to now!
Metro_2033_russian_book_front_cover.jpg

I swear when this game was first being shown, the lead designer in an interview or something (it was with GameSpot) said he didn't bother reading the novel either haha.

You guys are missing out. BOTH books are fantastic!

Had a go on it via VPN last night. I think theres some definite improvements but also some definite downgrades. Character models are a lot better, but they didn't do anything to change the guy Eugene (who rides the handcart with you and gives you a shotgun when nosalies attack), and his plastic mannequin head sticks out like a sore thumb.

The way that dudes mouth and tongue move really freak me out, he just looks creepy as all hell.

The way that dudes mouth and tongue move really freak me out, he just looks creepy as all hell.

Yeah I know the game kinda wants you to be looking at the cool scene as you ride off in the handcart but if you just look to your right and look at Eugene as he says the couple of lines about leaving the home station being "fun, or better yet, dangerous", it honestly comically shit. He looks like a ventriloquists dummy

*Voice Language: Russian*

*Subtitles On*

Time to rock!

I'm gonna give this a shot.

Does no one else see how they all talk with duck mouths? Not sure how to word it better, but they don't open the sides of their lips when they speak and it looks strange. I never noticed in 2033 or LL. Doesn't really bother me as it's actually kind of funny.

Fady K

I haven't been excited about an FPS like this in quite some time. I missed out on the first two but the atmosphere is just to my liking from what I saw. I have a thing for creepy abandoned environments in games, scares me well.

I haven't been excited about an FPS like this in quite some time. I missed out on the first two but the atmosphere is just to my liking from what I saw. I have a thing for creepy abandoned environments in games, scares me well.

Yup. I was surprised it didn't get the following it deserved the first time around. The atmosphere is so fucking thick in these games you can taste it.

Shredderi

so the discount on steam was pre-order only? so much for me buying this when the paycheck comes in :/

Oh fucking hell! Stupid me didn't realize this. Was gonna play this on the weekend and wanted to support these guys, but I just can't go from a 9.99e mindset to 19,99e that fast. Fuck.

Oh fucking hell! Stupid me didn't realize this. Was gonna play this on the weekend and wanted to support these guys, but I just can't go from a 9.99e mindset to 19,99e that fast. Fuck.
It would've been helpful if a deal expiration was listed. I missed out on the $12 upgrade as well.

Dr Dogg

I am seeing a lot of PhysX. The benchmark especially shows a lot.

I had a quick play around this morning (whilst a bit more alert) and yeah Physx effects do seem present but are toned down quite a bit from the original versions. Actually in 2033 I'm not sure if it's just that most of the volumetric fog is missing as well as changes to lighting in certain areas. In Last Light fog volumes don't appear as dense and particles are scaled back in number and velocity (haven't got to an area easy to compair cloth or rigid body effects effectively yet).

I don't know if it's due to a problem with drivers my end (I've got through the last 3 releases and an unreleased set of Physx drivers as well as playing around with various WHQL and beta drivers and always the same result), moving to the latest implemtation of Physx or was just straight up a stylistic choice but it's a noticeable difference (even the title screen of Last Light has had the smoke effect really toned down). I'll pop a couple of videos and screenshots up later in when I get home.

zeox

It would've been helpful if a deal expiration was listed. I missed out on the $12 upgrade as well.

to be fair, the steam page explicitly states it as a pre-purchase offer. I just wasn't smart enough to read it before it was too late :(

Pre-purchase today to take advantage of an exclusive loyalty bonus offer – a 25% discount for each original Metro title in your Steam Library.

I had a quick play around this morning (whilst a bit more alert) and yeah Physx effects do seem present but are toned down quite a bit from the original versions. Actually in 2033 I'm not sure if it's just that most of the volumetric fog is missing as well as changes to lighting in certain areas. In Last Light fog volumes don't appear as dense and particles are scaled back in number and velocity (haven't got to an area easy to compair cloth or rigid body effects effectively yet).

I don't know if it's due to a problem with drivers my end (I've got through the last 3 releases and an unreleased set of Physx drivers as well as playing around with various WHQL and beta drivers and always the same result), moving to the latest implemtation of Physx or was just straight up a stylistic choice but it's a noticeable difference (even the title screen of Last Light has had the smoke effect really toned down). I'll pop a couple of videos and screenshots up later in when I get home.

In the first game, when guns would go off... they would leave lingering smoke which would move around the scene. That is missing in Last light and here.

It is pretty obvious in a number of scenes in comparison to the first game.

Anung

Un Rama
This has been dispatched to my house but I'm on holiday at the minute. Really dying to play through both again. When I get back it'll be 3 days before Destiny released. First world problems.

Dr Dogg

In the first game, when guns would go off... they would leave lingering smoke which would move around the scene. That is missing in Last light and here.

It is pretty obvious in a number of scenes in comparison to the first game.

Yeah I noticed that when you're on the cart ride and get the shotgun. In the original after a while that scene would have smoke still hanging around all over the screen, where as in the Redux unless you have the light on that whole scene looked flat to me. I'd like to see what the grenade effects look like as they had debris, fog volumes and particles all in one effect and I though was one of the better Physx effects.

I haven't really put enough into 2033 Redux to draw any conclusions but I'm in two minds already. I'm loving the performance gains, new character models, much better tessellation implementation and depth of field effect but some of the missing or paired back smoke effects and lighting changes (or removals) have really changed the mood of the game in certain scenes. The whole atmosphere of Riga station feels a lot less oppressive and ran down now the smoke is close to dust particles and the lighting seems a lot brighter in places as well.

dock

I haven't played either Metro game before, so I'm thinking of getting this for PS4, but I don't know much about the game.

What am I shooting? I'm a bit worried about shooting endless dudes, such as Half Life 2's masked enemies. How much is spent in menus and messing around with guns? I don't generally like FPS games, and the gun-fetish aspect, but I'd like to give this a try for the atmosphere.

I haven't played either Metro game before, so I'm thinking of getting this for PS4, but I don't know much about the game.

What am I shooting? I'm a bit worried about shooting endless dudes, such as Half Life 2's masked enemies. How much is spent in menus and messing around with guns? I don't generally like FPS games, and the gun-fetish aspect, but I'd like to give this a try for the atmosphere.

My advice would be to just watch some streams on PS4. It's not your usual type of FPS, I can tell you that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Enjoying a fresh playthrough of 2033. Game still has its moments. Overall I find it better looking due to the significantly improved models and textures, along with most of the lighting, but sometimes it doesn't hit me quite as hard as the original did. It's a lot brighter, and the motion blur is toned down to almost nothing, making some really visually impressive sequences from the original less so this time around. The opening Nosalis rush really relied on the blur of enemies to sell the intensity. As a whole everything feels less foreboding and miserable.

Fighting Nosalis is still like rubbing glass in your eyes. I fucking loathe Nosalis encounters as much as I did in 2033.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Almost done with 2033 (ps4). Visually its beautiful. Game is pretty buggy though, anyone else experience moments where you need to restart from the last checkpoint because an event didn't trigger?

I think the motion blur missing is what I noticed the most. Especially on the cart ride. I immediately noticed it was missing. I hope they add it back in. On a different note, everywhere I look, it's all tessellated. It adds some depth to the environment and I think it looks great.

Fady K

Yup. I was surprised it didn't get the following it deserved the first time around. The atmosphere is so fucking thick in these games you can taste it.

I hope the second one gave it better recognition! And you're right, I didn't even play the game yet but the atmosphere is hauntingly attractive.

The Chef

Oh man I am crazy.
Started on Ranger Hardcore, got irritated that I couldn't figure out how to do anything (put mask on, turn on flashlight etc).
Restarted on a lower difficulty setting that allowed for HUD.....hated it. Felt like it completely robbed me of an immersive experience. Played for a bit just so I could get an idea how the menu system worked (L1).
Restarted AGAIN and am doing Ranger Hardcore and am really enjoying it. There is something so satisfying about just relying on your own abilities and just trying to remember how to do things.

I am insane.

BTW a few questions. I noticed in videos you can look at your watch it seems? How do you do that? Also, I cannot figure out how to wipe my mask. PS4 btw.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Oh man I am crazy.
Started on Ranger Hardcore, got irritated that I couldn't figure out how to do anything (put mask on, turn on flashlight etc).
Restarted on a lower difficulty setting that allowed for HUD.....hated it. Felt like it completely robbed me of an immersive experience. Played for a bit just so I could get an idea how the menu system worked (L1).
Restarted AGAIN and am doing Ranger Hardcore and am really enjoying it. There is something so satisfying about just relying on your own abilities and just trying to remember how to do things.

I am insane.

BTW a few questions. I noticed in videos you can look at your watch it seems? How do you do that? Also, I cannot figure out how to wipe my mask. PS4 btw.

Press L1 to wipe the mask. As for the watch, I think its the touchpad (not entirely sure)

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
You guys affraid that your console might explode if you push test the buttons to find out what each one does ?

i'm so on the fence about picking this up for ps4. is it good or is it just ok? i'm afraid i'll find it mediocre, not bother to finish both games, and feel like i wasted my money...

Top Bottom