• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

bidguy

Banned
im liking this a lot more than the original on 360

ranger hardcore is kinda cheap though whats the reason to hide qte prompts ? i was really confused when i started on ranger hc because of that

dock

My advice would be to just watch some streams on PS4. It's not your usual type of FPS, I can tell you that.

Thanks. Yeah, it seems interesting enough and mostly about exploring.

Another question:

Which Metro game should I play first?
I expect to play through one of them and then come back to the other a few months later.

Thanks. Yeah, it seems interesting enough and mostly about exploring.

Another question:

Which Metro game should I play first?
I expect to play through one of them and then come back to the other a few months later.

I haven't finished them both myself , but I would suggest playing the first game first. Not sure if you need to, but that would make the most sense to me.

Newboi

Can you disable UI elements in other difficulties than Ranger?

You can only disable hints, crosshair, and subtitles. This will get rid of most of the UI save for ammo count, but It's still a very different experience than playing on Ranger mode. If you are playing this game for the first time and you decide to play on Ranger mode, be sure to look online to see all of the context sensitive action you can do. There are a lot of situational or context sensitive actions you can do in this game that aren't shown in the control menu. There will be many instances where you'll be confused as to what to do and probably be killed because of it, as Ranger mode removes all UI including any prompts and object highlights that can get your attention or inform you as to what to do.

Man, 2033 runs terribly on my PC. I wasn't expecting anything great, but goddamn, my poor GTX 660 can barely hold together on High, with AA and AF turned off.

valkyre

You can only disable hints, crosshair, and subtitles. This will get rid of most of the UI save for ammo count, but It's still a very different experience than playing on Ranger mode. If you are playing this game for the first time and you decide to play on Ranger mode, be sure to look online to see all of the context sensitive action you can do. There are a lot of situational or context sensitive actions you can do in this game that aren't shown in the control menu. There will be many instances where you'll be confused as to what to do and probably be killed because of it, as Ranger mode removes all UI including any prompts and object highlights that can get your attention or inform you as to what to do.

Thanks for the elaborate answer. Much appreciated. I guess I will not try Ranger at my first go and opt for the hard difficulty after it. But knowing me I will try Ranger on my 2nd playthrough, once I know all context sensitive actions.

Cheers.

Fisty

Oh man I am crazy.
Started on Ranger Hardcore, got irritated that I couldn't figure out how to do anything (put mask on, turn on flashlight etc).
Restarted on a lower difficulty setting that allowed for HUD.....hated it. Felt like it completely robbed me of an immersive experience. Played for a bit just so I could get an idea how the menu system worked (L1).
Restarted AGAIN and am doing Ranger Hardcore and am really enjoying it. There is something so satisfying about just relying on your own abilities and just trying to remember how to do things.

I am insane.

BTW a few questions. I noticed in videos you can look at your watch it seems? How do you do that? Also, I cannot figure out how to wipe my mask. PS4 btw.

I did the same thing, but I was streaming so it was pretty embarassing standing there for 30 min trying different button combos to figure it out. I mean, yea I love no hud games but you seriously should be able to have the hud when you hold L1, its pretty stupid not to, even if you have played 30 times. There are 8 different buttons that do 8 different things when you hold L1 down, cut us some slack jeez. TLOUs grounded mode was perfect, only quick hud when you switch weapons

Just 1 moar day!!
I admit that I was thinking starting the game in Ranger but after reading some comments I gotta take it easy.

Normal Survival it is.

Newboi

Nope, it's turned off.

If you are still having bad performance, you could try setting SSAA to 0.5x. This will internally render the game at half the resolution you currently have the game set to and then upscale the game to your selected resolution. This will massively improve performance, but will make the image very soft. You can curtail this somewhat by downsampling from a higher resolution than your monitor supports then running the SSAA algorithm at 0.5x.

Just some screens for comparison between M2033 original and M2033R (with day1 patch)

Original
zpcb.jpg

Redux
ypcb.jpg

Original
1pcb.jpg

Redux
0pcb.jpg
Yeah one of the many Volumetric lights which are still missing.

Seriously hope the patch tthem all back in... the patch only added two as my playthrough is currently confirming (the ones' I conveniently made posts about).

Foxyone

If you are still having bad performance, you could try setting SSAA to 0.5x. This will internally render the game at half the resolution you currently have the game set to and then upscale the game to your selected resolution. This will massively improve performance, but will make the image very soft. You can curtail this somewhat by downsampling from a higher resolution than your monitor supports then running the SSAA algorithm at 0.5x.

Do the console versions run without SSAA, or do they use 0.5x? I'm still wondering what they're doing to keep 60 FPS.

Cudder

Just beat 2033 on PS4 for the first time. Absolutely loved the game. Wish I had played on Ranger though, normal was too easy. I was watching someone stream and he brought up a menu where you can change ammo for guns as well as your grenades? How the hell do you bring that up? I went through the whole game not knowing you could do that.

I think in going to try for the platinum before I start Last Light.

One more thing, the stream I was watching was playing on the hardest difficulty. He was pretty much killing guards and monster with one or two bullets. Does increasing the difficulty decrease enemy health as well as yours?

EvB

My game seems to have glitched. I'm stuck at 99% loading on chapter 1 let the journey begin.

have quit, rebooted, hard booted and does the same thing each time :(

phalestine

aka iby.h
Just beat 2033 on PS4 for the first time. Absolutely loved the game. Wish I had played on Ranger though, normal was too easy. I was watching someone stream and he brought up a menu where you can change ammo for guns as well as your grenades? How the hell do you bring that up? I went through the whole game not knowing you could do that.

I think in going to try for the platinum before I start Last Light.

One more thing, the stream I was watching was playing on the hardest difficulty. He was pretty much killing guards and monster with one or two bullets. Does increasing the difficulty decrease enemy health as well as yours?

You hold R1, then use the dPad to choose your secondary (Knife, Grenade, etc...) and press R1 to use.

My game seems to have glitched. I'm stuck at 99% loading on chapter 1 let the journey begin.

I got a few quirks as well. Had to restart Chapter 4.

I can't grab the weapon in the armory. The guy just puts it on the table and looks at me expectantly, but nothing I do works. :lol

EDIT: Apparently I just wasn't holding the button long enough. I'm a true ranger.

misho8723

Banned

Yes.. you can kill enemies with only one or two shots, but on the other hand, enemies can kill you too with only one-two shots

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Someone from friends list was just asking me about this, but he said the PS3 version is better because it has multiplayer?!

cabot

Does anyone have a handy source for the controls? (including context sensitive)

I'm going in Ranger and Russian audio, just as the first time I ran through 2033 and the third of LL i played.

I do remember getting stuck in LL moreso than 2033 though, can you actually turn on a flashlight? I only used the darn lighter.

RoKKeR

Someone from friends list was just asking me about this, but he said the PS3 version is better because it has multiplayer?!
Your friend is delusional haha. MP in Last Light was scrapped like a year before release back in 2012. (thankfully)

Newboi

Do the console versions run without SSAA, or do they use 0.5x? I'm still wondering what they're doing to keep 60 FPS.

The console versions definitely don't run with SSAA. Super-Sampling involves internally rendering the game at multiples of your currently set resolutions (2x should render the game internally at twice the current resolution, 4x four times, etc). DigitalFoundry's breakdown article of Metro Redux on the consoles shows that the PS4 version natively renders at 1080p and the Xbone natively renders at 912p (I think I remember this right).

The consoles use a Post Process solution for AA (actually all versions of it do I believe with the PC getting the addition of optional SSAA). I think most of the performance gains come from tweaking the individual effects, shaders, and levels of tessellation in order to hit their desired performance goals.

Fbh

Ok I'm going to give this 1 more day or I will just go with the digital version.

It still hasen't arrived to my country and a local store just changed the "date" on their website from "During the week of the 25th" to "soon"

Dr Dogg

Right then so after a little bit of playing around here's a few comparisons from 2033 and 2033 Redux regards to missing smoke and lighting effects (don't have vanilla 2033 installed so went digging into the vault to find these lovely 1650x1050 shots!)

Yeah seeing the difference from that first time you walk down the stairs in Riga station was a kick in the nuts. To me it looks incredibly bland in comparison to the original.

Anywho the whole Physx conundrum. Taking Bonkers advice in to account I fired up the benchmarks for both Last Light and LL Redux and they are in fact pretty much exactly the same, effect for effect. Played a bit further in and it does indeed look like apart from the opening segment particle and fog effects are like for like (though default gamma looks quite a bit higher in Redux as there is next to no shadow depth in the first underground section by comparison to the original). So to prove I'm not going totaly mad here's a couple of webm's showing the differences in Physx in the opening segment.

Last Light Original
http://a.pomf.se/xduhct.webm

Last Light Redux
http://a.pomf.se/ajnfsl.webm

So just to point out the differences, less volumetric fog in elevator shaft, lower density fog volumes and smoke particles in alcove across from elevator and before the door after the gang get off the elevator and fewer and less dynamic particles from the wielder to the top left in the next room. No idea why this is the case, might be a stylistic choice, might be to do with switching to Physx 3.0~, might be to do with performance, who knows. So far it does just appear to be that area but it immediately stuck out for me like the toned down effects in the opening of 2033.

Regards to performance though considering there's not too much in the way off difference between the two Last Light releases I'm getting between 10-20% greater efficiency from Redux on the same settings (various benches at ave mid 70's for LL and low 90's for Redux and in game is about the same kind of gains) so that's a big plus for me in my book.

Sober

Enjoying a fresh playthrough of 2033. Game still has its moments. Overall I find it better looking due to the significantly improved models and textures, along with most of the lighting, but sometimes it doesn't hit me quite as hard as the original did. It's a lot brighter, and the motion blur is toned down to almost nothing, making some really visually impressive sequences from the original less so this time around. The opening Nosalis rush really relied on the blur of enemies to sell the intensity. As a whole everything feels less foreboding and miserable.

Fighting Nosalis is still like rubbing glass in your eyes. I fucking loathe Nosalis encounters as much as I did in 2033.
LOL wait til you get to the part where you have the kid piggybacking on you. If that part doesn't piss everyone off I don't know what will. And if people don't understand how mouse acceleration works, they should point them to that section too.

seph1roth

Ok i don't understand what's happening with Redux in my PC.

4770K 770 OC 4Gb

VHQ drops to 25fps

HQ drops to 35-40fps

No SSAA, No Physx

Metro 2033 perfomance is BULLSHIT and Metro LL being 1:1 from original i have a 20% less frames than the original version.

I'm not going to play this anymore if 4AGames doesn't make at least an acceptable optimization, this is crap, literally.

Cuyejo

Bought Last Light on the PS4 as I already had 2033 on Steam, visuals look great but I noticed a constant screen tearing located at the top of the screen every time there is rapid movement. I find it weird it wasn't reported by DF. Maybe it's a bug as otherwise the framerate is a solid 60fps.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The one thing I like about Ranger mode is that it doesn't turn enemies into bullet sponges.

It actually does the opposite in that it makes enemies and you much easier to kill.

PhysX is still using my CPU and not GPU :/ It's literally the only game that does this too.

It could just be the visual indicator not recognizing it correctly. I will try later with a dedicated physX card and report back to you.

Ok i don't understand what's happening with Redux in my PC.

4770K 770 OC 4Gb

VHQ drops to 25fps

HQ drops to 35-40fps

No SSAA, No Physx

Metro 2033 perfomance is BULLSHIT and Metro LL being 1:1 from original i have a 20% less frames than the original version.

I'm not going to play this anymore if 4AGames doesn't make at least an acceptable optimization, this is crap, literally.

What are your Tesselation settings?

Try Very High with no tesselation, see what happens.

Also, please make sure you have the latest Nvidia Drivers.

Dr Dogg

PhysX is still using my CPU and not GPU :/ It's literally the only game that does this too.

I was getting the same with every set of drivers I used (337.88, 340.52, 340.65 even tried different Physx drivers in 9.0725, 9.13.1220 and even 9.14.0702) but I've got the feeling as this is so far the only Physx 3.x~ game out that it reports back to the drivers and subsequently NV Control panel differently. I seem to recall as of the latest version of Physx doesn't require the user to have the latest Physx drivers installed as everything should be included in the game install and in the Included Physx dll's.

One thing that is for sure that you can't run either of the Redux versions with a dedicated Physx card. I tried and the other card sat there doing nothing but there is a slight increase in GPU load during benches with it enabled and fairly consistently. Where as CPU usage doesn't differ much at all when comparing benches with or without Physx enabled. There's a couple of peeps asking on the Steam forums and on Nvidia's as well so fingers crossed we might get an official answer sometime soon(ish).

I was getting the same with every set of drivers I used (337.88, 340.52, 340.65 even tried different Physx drivers in 9.0725, 9.13.1220 and even 9.14.0702) but I've got the feeling as this is so far the only Physx 3.0~ game out that it reports back to the drivers and subsequently NV Control panel differently. I seem to recall as of the latest version of Physx doesn't require the user to have the latest Physx drivers installed as everything should be included in the game instal.

One thing that is for sure that you can't run either of the Redux versions with a dedicated Physx card. I tried and the other card sat there doing nothing but there is a slight increase in GPU load during benches with it enabled and fairly consistently. Where as CPU usage doesn't differ much at all when comparing benches with or without Physx enabled. There's a couple of peeps asking on the Steam forums and on Nvidia's as well so fingers crossed we might get an official answer sometime soon(ish).

The game in general on PC needs quite a bit of love from a Driver and Dev standpoint. Nvidia should notice how poor the SLI scaling is... similarly 4a should notice how unoptimized the Tesselation is in a number of scenes and where the volume lights should be.

Hope we get some updates...

Dr Dogg

The game in general on PC needs quite a bit of love from a Driver and Dev standpoint. Nvidia should notice how poor the SLI scaling is... similarly 4a should notice how unoptimized the Tesselation is in a number of scenes and where the volume lights should be.

Hope we get some updates...

Hahaha to be fair I hadn't really noticed what was causing my fans to spin up during my brief time with 2033 as I was still staying over 60 but I guess now that the environment is tessellated but not designed that way from the outset it might end up being a bit heavy handed (there's a lot going on in the level design so I wonder if it's Crysis 2 level meshes).

I kind of half expected Game Ready Drivers for this seeing as the Metro franchise has been a bit of a poster child for Nvidia's tech. The SLI bits that Experience grabs are straight up Last Light's ones and range from 90% scaling all the way down to 30% at times for me. I grabbed the ones Maldo posted on his blog but someone (maybe yourself?) mentioned some effects are temporally unstable but they scale a lot better.

Fingers crossed everyone involved is aware and on the ball. I haven't seen Nvidia's Andy round here in ages but I get the feeling they're cooking up a performance and tweaks guide so we might get some answers or at least some insight soon.

seph1roth

It could just be the visual indicator not recognizing it correctly. I will try later with a dedicated physX card and report back to you.

What are your Tesselation settings?

Try Very High with no tesselation, see what happens.

Also, please make sure you have the latest Nvidia Drivers.

Latest nvidia drivers, tried Tesselation on VHQ and NO tesellation, differences are minor (3-5fps)

And btw, AGAIN Nvidia is playing with me, again Physx with CPU...uninstalled all nvidia drivers, reinstalled, and continues running with the CPU...

Newboi

Latest nvidia drivers, tried Tesselation on VHQ and NO tesellation, differences are minor (3-5fps)

And btw, AGAIN Nvidia is playing with me, again Physx with CPU...uninstalled all nvidia drivers, reinstalled, and continues running with the CPU...

Everyone is running into this issue. I'm not sure what kind of machines this game was tested on (especially with Nvidia hardware). I'm not sure how these issues aren't caught during testing (unless they were known and the game was released anyway).

I had to disable core parking on my rig and change my SLI bit to get better scaling. I get 60fps constant at 1080p with no microstutters now, but the game microstutters out the wazoo when I increase the resolution to 2560x1440 (downsampling).

The opening menu screen occasionally bugs out for me on first launch. I have to close and relaunch the game in order to get everything to render correctly.

Faenix1

So what's the general consensus on the PS4 version, and this version in general? Worth it?

Played through about 1/2-2/3 of Metro 2033 on PC (Medium-ish settings), but I stopped for whatever reason
Got Metro Last Light via PS+, but I never bothered since I didn't beat 2033.

Was interested in Ranger mode, but the lack of QTE prompts - event tho I beat most if it already - makes me hesitant to try it.

Newboi

So what's the general consensus on the PS4 version, and this version in general? Worth it?

Played through about 1/2-2/3 of Metro 2033 on PC (Medium-ish settings), but I stopped for whatever reason

Was interested in Ranger mode, but the lack of QTE prompts - event tho I beat most if it already - makes me hesitant to try it.

I've heard nothing but glowing reviews for the PS4 version. I would get it if your PC isn't capable of running them at maxed out quality settings.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

PS4 version is excellent. Locked 1080/60 and load times are incredibly short.

Kureizu

So how scary are these games? I'm a total wuss when it comes to scary games and I avoid all of them.

From what I'm reading and the screenshots you guys are posting I'm extremely tempted to pick it up, but I'd hate having to stop playing it because of the scares and all that stuff.

So how scary are these games? I'm a total wuss when it comes to scary games and I avoid all of them.

From what I'm reading and the screenshots you guys are posting I'm extremely tempted to pick it up, but I'd hate having to stop playing it because of the scares and all that stuff.

I thought the first game was scarier compared to the sequel. The sequel is pretty much an action game, the original has some scary areas IMO

Top Bottom