• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

El_Chino

So how scary are these games? I'm a total wuss when it comes to scary games and I avoid all of them.

From what I'm reading and the screenshots you guys are posting I'm extremely tempted to pick it up, but I'd hate having to stop playing it because of the scares and all that stuff.
It's not scary at all in my opinion. Just has a Paranormal factor to the story.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So how scary are these games? I'm a total wuss when it comes to scary games and I avoid all of them.

From what I'm reading and the screenshots you guys are posting I'm extremely tempted to pick it up, but I'd hate having to stop playing it because of the scares and all that stuff.
It's more atmospheric than anything else. There's a couple points in 2033 that might get you if you're sensitive to that sort of thing but it's far, far from a horror game.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Ok i don't understand what's happening with Redux in my PC.

4770K 770 OC 4Gb

VHQ drops to 25fps

HQ drops to 35-40fps

No SSAA, No Physx

Metro 2033 perfomance is BULLSHIT and Metro LL being 1:1 from original i have a 20% less frames than the original version.

I'm not going to play this anymore if 4AGames doesn't make at least an acceptable optimization, this is crap, literally.

I'm getting locked 60 with a 2600k@Stock and 770 4GB + 750TI on HQ + VH tessellation with PhysX. But i'm not far into the game. Does the performance tanks later on?

Newboi

I'm getting locked 60 with a 2600k@Stock and 770 4GB + 750TI on HQ + VH tessellation with PhysX. But i'm not far into the game. Does the performance tanks later on?

You are the first person I've found so far to have good performance with PhysX enabled. Everyone posting on the Geforce forums state the game doesn't even touch their dedicated PhysX card. Could you be more descriptive with your settings? For all I know, there could be a bug that prevents the PhysX from using the GPU if the Quality setting is set to Very High.

Faenix1

I've heard nothing but glowing reviews for the PS4 version. I would get it if your PC isn't capable of running them at maxed out quality settings.

My PC has a GTS 250 in it, and an AMD Athlon II X4 - or something along those lines. Any game with a PC/PS4 release, I don't even consider the PC version. lol

DasFool

I'm easily flustered by horror in games and 2033 can become quite tense at times, especially when you are totally alone. There are only two areas in the game that make me hesitant to play: the library and the lurker subway. They are tight spaces with enemies constantly harassing you and the dynamic of the sound makes you unsure of where they really are. Other than that, it has the occasional jump scare and monsters can sneak up and startle you, nothing too bad.

Last Light isn't scary.

Dr Dogg

Another one of my favourite scenes has fallen victim to a lighting change :(
Original
15063247771_2a3c695717_o.jpg

Redux
14879666419_22007ff371_o.png
Sorry for the hideous low quality jpg on the Original shot but it's been a while and I've seem to have misplaced the uncompress png I had. Though despite the drastic lighting difference I'm really a fan of the environment tessellation in Redux.

Gurish

How do i check how much ammo i have when in ranger mode (PS4)?

Game is great BTW, highly recommended, visually gorgeous as well.

GavinUK86

Another one of my favourite scenes has fallen victim to a lighting change :(

Sorry for the hideous low quality jpg on the Original shot but it's been a while and I've seem to have misplaced the uncompress png I had. Though despite the drastic lighting difference I'm really a fan of the environment tessellation in Redux.

I actually prefer the Redux look to the original here.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I think the only part of the series that made me feel legitimately uncomfortable was the Spider DLC for Metro: Last Light. Other than that the series is really tame as far as scariness goes.

Dr Dogg

I actually prefer the Redux look to the original here.

It's one of those things that you could easily argue that the original's lighting and effects work were quite over the top (lighting that wouldn't look out of place at a movie premier and so much smoke you'd think the residents of the Metro system all smoked 40 a day). Though in some scenes it really did add to the atmosphere.

I felt the one above had an otherworldly appearance which fitted the scene perfectly and having the focus on the blown out volumetric light that worked really well with the distortion effect. The baked lighting in Redux by comparison looks really flat but does show off the walls and how striking the difference is between the environment effects between the two.

In an ideal world I'd love a combination of both!

AJLma

2033 definitely does seem more demanding than LL was. I don't know if it's my imagination and forgetting how good LL looked but it seems like 2033 may be a better looking game overall.

2033 definitely does seem more demanding than LL was. I don't know if it's my imagination and forgetting how good LL looked but it seems like 2033 may be a better looking game overall.

It wasn't as well optimized as MLL. At least on the PC, you had to knock down some really taxing effects like DX11 tessellation for it to not run like hot garbage. Once you did knock that down, though, it ran and looked incredible.

U2NUMB

Something is wrong with my game... On x1, goes to load up chapter one and it takes 10+ minutes to get to 99% and then it just sits there. This can not be right.... I have restarted the game 3 times and it's slowly again inching up the loading %.

Is this a known issue?

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Something is wrong with my game... On x1, goes to load up chapter one and it takes 10+ minutes to get to 99% and then it just sits there. This can not be right.... I have restarted the game 3 times and it's slowly again inching up the loading %.

Is this a known issue?

It was doing this for me on PC, reinstalling fixed.

murgo

Hey guys, quick question about the newly added safe boxes in 2033. How the heck do you open them? I checked all over the place for a key or something at the first box you find :(

Hey guys, quick question about the newly added safe boxes in 2033. How the heck do you open them? I checked all over the place for a key or something at the first box you find :(

I read somewhere that it's dependant on difficulty. But I've come across two later in the game that had keys hiden nearby that unlocked them. I'm really unsure.

It wasn't as well optimized as MLL. At least on the PC, you had to knock down some really taxing effects like DX11 tessellation for it to not run like hot garbage. Once you did knock that down, though, it ran and looked incredible.

The tesselation cost next to nothing in the first game actually. It was the DOF and MSAA which killed compuers (and still can).

RoKKeR

So what's up with the "I want to believe. Metro2035.com" signs scattered throughout 2033? I definitely don't remember those my first time around...

Dr Dogg

So what's up with the "I want to believe. Metro2035.com" signs scattered throughout 2033? I definitely don't remember those my first time around...

There were posters in Last Light when the book was meant to be releasing in December last year. It's subsequently been delayed a few times since but the one poster you see at the start of 2033 Redux I've seen in Last Light (the 'I want to believe' one).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The tesselation cost next to nothing in the first game actually. It was the DOF and MSAA which killed compuers (and still can).
That's surprising.

I wonder if anyone will actually be able to get tesselation up and running on consoles this gen. I know that was one of Naughty Dog's big goals. I actually expected some in this since they talked about it in the "A Look at Redux" video but i assume it would have compromised the superb framerate.

TheTrain

This is why i think the original 2033 is much better than the Redux, in terms of fidelity with the books and with the original Metro atmosphere:

Market level

iWk35cHOUSL9a.png

After that loading screen

iPnJ4ePueoThs.png

Yes! Dark skies, fear, sorrow!
No wait... .-.

That's surprising.

I wonder if anyone will actually be able to get tesselation up and running on consoles this gen. I know that was one of Naughty Dog's big goals. I actually expected some in this since they talked about it in the "A Look at Redux" video but i assume it would have compromised the superb framerate.

It was only applied to character models and did not use much if any displayment. So it was not as intense as the tesselation in LL or Redux for example (which is EVERYWHERE).

One of the cooler and smarter ways to use tesselation is for particle shading or volumetric stuff actually. Not just better more round geometry.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is why i think the original 2033 is much better than the Redux, in terms of fidelity with the books and with the original Metro atmosphere:

Market level

iWk35cHOUSL9a.png

After that loading screen

iPnJ4ePueoThs.png

Yes! Dark Skies!
No wait... .-.
I actually really like that change. It makes that area seem much more desolate, burnt out, and abandoned, instead of just dark. It also adds some variety in the surface sections instead of having them all be pitch black.

It was only applied to character models and did not use much if any displayment. So it was not as intense as the tesselation in LL or Redux for example (which is EVERYWHERE).

One of the cooler and smarter ways to use tesselation is for particle shading or volumetric stuff actually. Not just better more round geometry.
That's pretty cool. Didn't know about the volumetric stuff. I really want to see it for character silhouettes though. I think that makes a huge difference.

ChawlieTheFair

I've found the keys are often reasonably close by, though sometimes they were also decently far away. I'd compare it to power node rooms in Dead Space in terms of distance.

Actually now that I think about it, there was one seperated by a loading screen between finding the key and finding the safe. I might be wrong though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've found the keys are often reasonably close by, though sometimes they were also decently far away. I'd compare it to power node rooms in Dead Space in terms of distance.

Actually now that I think about it, there was one seperated by a loading screen between finding the key and finding the safe. I might be wrong though.
I found a lot of keys but not the safes :lol

why is the character movement so odd in this game? at times it seems to move very slowly and I have no idea why
There's a couple points where you're carrying someone so it moves slowly or there's something else holding you back, like a spider web or gas.

I actually really like that change. It makes that area seem much more desolate, burnt out, and abandoned, instead of just dark. It also adds some variety in the surface sections instead of having them all be pitch black.

That's pretty cool. Didn't know about the volumetric stuff. I really want to see it for character silhouettes though. I think that makes a huge difference.

Hey you should get some screen shots of some of the character models and monsters btw.

I am curious if they are using the displacement maps and PN triangles the PC version uses.
why is the character movement so odd in this game? at times it seems to move very slowly and I have no idea why

You are probably running into spider webs. Burn them away with your lighter.

Dr Dogg

Well I just had a notification in Steam and it appears Last Light Redux has Trading Cards now. Well that or they've just started dropping.

PC version, have had no issues what so ever up to this point but now it is crashing every other death.

Edit: Not crashing, but it get stuck in the load.

There was a patch today. Not sure about the notes on that but after the patch enabling SSAA @ .5x turned the image quality to dogshit. I ended up turning it off again.

ChawlieTheFair

There was a patch today. Not sure about the notes on that but after the patch enabling SSAA @ .5x turned the image quality to dogshit. I ended up turning it off again.

Well it would do that normally, .5 SSAA is cutting your current resolution in half, rather than increasing it. Putting it to at least 2x is when it should look better.

ChawlieTheFair

Same thing there...

Not sure what's up. Wasn't having this issue at launch.

I think you're misunderstanding. 0.5x SSAA basically means the game will render at half of whatever resolution you actually have selected. So with 0.5x SSAA selected, 1920x1080 becomes 960x540. That's the reason why there is no 1xSSAA, because that would just be whatever resolution you picked. 2xSSAA is the game rendering your resoluion at twice the size then fittting it to the screen so that it looks better, and so on for 3x and 4x.

Edit: Simply put, 0.5x SSAA will look worse than having no SSAA. Unless you want better performance, you should NOT use 0.5x SSAA.

Weird, got past that checkpoint and it isn't crashing any more.

Edit: Nevermind, lol. Has there been another patch since the lighting one? Had NO issues before today. I even played for about 30 minutes before I got to the library started having issues.

Hollow

The only crash I had was the tram just after you get the flamethrower and were fighting a group of nosalis with the rangers.
PS4 version btw.

Puflwiz

Banned
The only crash I had was the tram just after you get the flamethrower and were fighting a group of nosalis with the rangers.
PS4 version btw.

I crashed in the exact same spot. Did you try shooting the anomaly with the flamethrower? I thought that's what did it.

Top Bottom