• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

seph1roth

Ok i think i know what's happening.

Nvidia drivers are using my CPU for Physx, problem is...i'm not using physx (advanced physx i mean)

Even with that option disabled i think nvidia should detect my GPU for physx but it doesn't...

I uninstalled and reinstalled Nvidia drivers and nothing happened, same as before.

I don't know what to do at this point.

Metro 2033 Redux looks so beautiful on my GTX 770 at Very High/Advanced Physx @ 1080p. However, I was carrying that kid....Dat mouse acceleration....uggggh

blinkz

Has anybody else been at the loading screen for the first chapter in 2033 for 10+ minutes like I have on xbox one, this is insane

misho8723

Banned
LOL wait til you get to the part where you have the kid piggybacking on you. If that part doesn't piss everyone off I don't know what will. And if people don't understand how mouse acceleration works, they should point them to that section too.

What? What is the problem with this mission? I played this section this monday - M2033 original - on PC with mouse+keyboard and had not a single problem with it.. the worst levels are Frontline and Biomass, particulary the second one is fucking bullshit on Ranger mode.. fuck that mission

TJP

Reading the Guru3D forums is quite sobering as many people are having serious issues running the Redux versions; naturally there are those who've yet to have an issue too. I've been fortunate as both redux versions are working fine for me (FWIW latest Nvidia drivers plus PhysX version 9.14.0702) although the benchmarking tool has gone kaput at random times.

For those with serious performance issues, there is no ETA for the next Nvidia driver: https://forums.geforce.com/default/...ith-multiple-gpus-support-/?offset=22#4295273

I've had a single in-game issue just after the Nosalis attack after Hunter is introduced that I wished I'd recorded. I counted a futher 6 Nosalis that dropped from the ceiling and vents as Hunter talking away in the scripted post-battle speech; I jumped up on the table and left the two men to kill them which was a very ranger hardcore playthrough move ;) I tried to join in however Arytom stood with the gun outstretched after the reloading animation occured, yet the revolver had no ammo. This happened after the 12MB patch was released.

Gator86

I gave 2033 another chance and still hate it. It's a shame. I bought it back in the day but my, PC was too shitty to run and it and after Last Light on ps3 I was really looking forward to it. It's just too clunky.

I'm not sure if it's my sound system, which is fine for every other game, but the beasts footsteps make no noise at all so I hear the generic roar to indicate enemies are around then I'm magically surrounded. Nothing makes me want to keep playing considering the story and characters are shallow beyond belief and the game plays terribly. Maybe it changes later but I can't imagine forcing myself to play it more with Diablo and other games to play. I'm glad people here have been having fun with it though.

I gave 2033 another chance and still hate it. It's a shame. I bought it back in the day but my, PC was too shitty to run and it and after Last Light on ps3 I was really looking forward to it. It's just too clunky.

I'm not sure if it's my sound system, which is fine for every other game, but the beasts footsteps make no noise at all so I hear the generic roar to indicate enemies are around then I'm magically surrounded. Nothing makes me want to keep playing considering the story and characters are shallow beyond belief and the game plays terribly. Maybe it changes later but I can't imagine forcing myself to play it more with Diablo and other games to play. I'm glad people here have been having fun with it though.

Why do you think the game plays terribly? You don't like the gunplay?

Gator86

Why do you think the game plays terribly? You don't like the gunplay?

The movement seems really slow and clunky to the point you seem more drunk than weighty. The combat just feels off. I can't find any aiming settings that made the game feel comfort either. The double barrel, which you wind up relying on a good chunk of the early hours of the game, is painfully unreliable. On survival mode, Ranger difficulty it seems almost entirely random how many shots it takes to kill even at point blank range.

Those things, along with the generally glitchy enemies, kill it for me. Completely silent enemies who appear behind you and kill you in two hits is just insufferable when your movement and weapons function so awkwardly.

RyudBoy

The little kid you give a piggyback ride was annoying as shit.

And I hated the gunplay at first, but it's growing on me. The pistol just feels so good. Kinda reminds me of Rage.

Ok i think i know what's happening.

Nvidia drivers are using my CPU for Physx, problem is...i'm not using physx (advanced physx i mean)

Even with that option disabled i think nvidia should detect my GPU for physx but it doesn't...

I uninstalled and reinstalled Nvidia drivers and nothing happened, same as before.

I don't know what to do at this point.

Although it's saying that it's using the CPU, it's not. Redux uses a new version of PhysX that you don't have installed. So the PhysX on-screen indicator talks with the old Physx library that is on standby while Redux games are running, so it says "Physx-CPU". BUT, the new PhysX library running into the game is using the GPU.

I tested this in the firing range at the start of Last Light Redux because there are a lot of PhysX enable effects when you shoot the walls, and if it was actually using the CPU, it would have dropped to like 10fps.

Alright, about to start up 2033. Played a few hours on PC but it's been a long time.

Can someone more familiar of the recommend me a game mode to start on?

The game gives me the choice of Survival or Spartan mode. I like the idea of survival mode more (scarcity/tense atmosphere and a more survival horror vibe) as the game describes it, but I'm worried I'll miss out on some of the proclaimed improvements of this Redux version.

Is Survival essentially the vanilla 2033 experience or is it still improved, with simply the player health and ammo amounts reduced being the only real difference vs spartan?

Foxyone

I tried to recreate a PS4 screenshot on PC with medium, high, and very high settings. It was simply done via a Fraps screenshot (and at 900p).

PS4:

GIQ6G4.jpg

PC (high settings):

2033reduxhigh900p2_zps271547ab.png~original

For extra comparison, but not taking up more room with screenshots:

Medium settings: http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x394/belmonkey/2033reduxmed900p2_zpscab2454d.png~original

Very high settings: http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x394/belmonkey/2033reduxveryhigh900p2_zpsd0e2990f.png~original

Probably not the best comparison, but flipping between the two images in different tabs (not zoomed in), I think the PS4 screenshot isn't quite up to high settings.

Does anyone with a better eye for details have an opinion?

Edit: tessellation is off

seph1roth

Although it's saying that it's using the CPU, it's not. Redux uses a new version of PhysX that you don't have installed. So the PhysX on-screen indicator talks with the old Physx library that is on standby while Redux games are running, so it says "Physx-CPU". BUT, the new PhysX library running into the game is using the GPU.

I tested this in the firing range at the start of Last Light Redux because there are a lot of PhysX enable effects when you shoot the walls, and if it was actually using the CPU, it would have dropped to like 10fps.

Anyway, with this ridiculous performance for a high end PC, i'll not continue playing till 4AGames fixes both Redux versions.

That's it...

sja_626

Question regarding the PSN version, how does the full "Metro Redux" download work as opposed to the two individual ones?

I assume downloading them separately gives you 2 different items in the library, 2 different trophy sets etc.

I would expect downloading the complete edition with both would just let you download both. But it's listed as a "full game" rather than a "bundle" and also the download size is smaller than if you add up the other two individual sizes. So is it perhaps a completely separate thing with a single library item and unified trophy set that lets you choose in game between 2033 and Last Light?

I tried to recreate a PS4 screenshot on PC with medium, high, and very high settings. It was simply done via a Fraps screenshot (and at 900p).

PS4:

GIQ6G4.jpg

PC (high settings):

2033reduxhigh900p2_zps271547ab.png~original

For extra comparison, but not taking up more room with screenshots:

Medium settings: http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x394/belmonkey/2033reduxmed900p2_zpscab2454d.png~original

Very high settings: http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x394/belmonkey/2033reduxveryhigh900p2_zpsd0e2990f.png~original

Probably not the best comparison, but flipping between the two images in different tabs (not zoomed in), I think the PS4 screenshot isn't quite up to high settings.

Does anyone with a better eye for details have an opinion?

ps4 looks better than the pc high screenshot, as it should given olevs comments

Is there any reason the trophy for beating 2033 on "Survival" is silver, but the "Spartan" trophy is gold? I thought Spartan was easier? =\

EDIT: Even stranger, looking at the Xbox achievements, you get 50 points for completing Survival but only 40 for finishing Spartan..... wtf!

seph1roth

Mmmm, comparing side by side all the screenshots...i think is a mix between High and Medium.

No tesselation btw, look at the emergency light at the top compared to PC. Also, less shadows or reflections.

Even with that, a really good job with PS4 version in my opinion. (that's more that i can say to the PC version...)

I know i'm really angry with this situation.

Foxyone

The kind of thing that catches my attention is the item on the wall at the left of the image. It looks darker behind the object at high settings, perhaps like it has better ambient occlusion? I dunno, there's people who know more and could see more than me.

Edit: btw, tessellation is off, since consoles don't use it.

the screen labeled ps4 has more depth and better material shading across the entire scene. easily noticeable on the gun and glove. also has better AO and more accurate lighting.

Glad I picked this up on ps4. Will get the PC redux on sale for $10 or less.

Looks nice. Ranger mode is no joke. Not even any prompts for the qte sections.

The kind of thing that catches my attention is the item on the wall at the left of the image. It looks darker behind the object at high settings, perhaps like it has better ambient occlusion? I dunno, there's people who know more and could see more than me.

Edit: btw, tessellation is off, since consoles don't use it.

That's no fun, got to show the PC version in its full glory :p

And I had no issues with the PC version outside of the library chapter being very crash prone. I have no idea why that one chapter alone had issues, but it was crashing every time I died. Videocard wasn't anywhere near its max and the CPU was fine so I can only assume it was the game's fault. Can't really speak for optimization because I have a 780 Ti which is somewhat unfair. Ran at 60 FPS, max outside of SSAA 99% of the time.

Looking forward to getting to Last Light and seeing how Survival Mode changes then up there.

Edit: Although there were some weird things here and there. Enemies getting stuck in walls when shot when the shotgun, demons throwing me into inaccessible areas causing the game to warp me across the map, can't remember if such things were present in the original.

Physx really makes the grenade explosions in both 2033 and Last Light incredible. Having a fully lit room become dark with rubble and blown out walls everywhere is a really neat effect. Introduction of Sparten mode actually means I might use them in subsequent playthroughs as I won't be taking stealth path.

Is it just me or can the monster enemies phase through you on some Kitty Pryde shit?

4A and Crytek need to be banned from putting non-human opponents in their games. Literally banned and fined to hell and back if they don't comply.

AlexIIDX

Playing for the first time and I have no HUD, no clue what some of these gadgets do...Did I lose my auto rifle when that guy gave me his shotgun? How do I switch back?

Obscured

Going through on Ranger and Survival for my first playthrough and really enjoying it so far (XB1). Just got to the market. I can't get over the lighting.

I did have some of the control issues, first not knowing how to put on the gas mask, then not being able to pick up the gun from the armory and finally the QTE on the hand cart.

I get the whole play normal first, but it could be dealt with a bit better. I still like playing through it like this even with those slight annoyances. Little things like not realizing you need to have where your reticule would be to pick up things. I missed the first safe key because I was slightly off from center and thought it was something I just couldn't pick up.

Also playing through with Russian (just feels right), but I wish I could understand all of the chatter.

Here is another later outdoors comparison between the Redux and 2033, just for fun. Both look really good (2033 has aged really well) and it's definitely a matter of personal preference. I much prefer the super bright look of the Redux as that's one of the first things I think of when I think of winter, brightness. Winter is super damn bright.

Both are downsampled from 4k, all settings maxed out (except SSAA is at 2, 4x + 4K causes drivers to crash).

2033:

Redux

I'm trying to play 2033 Chapter 1 on Xbox One, but it gets stuck loading at 99%. I've tried reinstalling the game three times now. Once on the internal hard drive, once on my external, and another time on the external again offline so the game wouldn't update. Each time after installing the game, I had the same loading issue.

After not having any progress in fixing the loading issue, I went to play Last Light first instead. When I completed the Ashes level I got hit the 99% loading issue in Last Light also.

Has anyone with this issue found a way to fix the loading?

I'm thinking about picking up the Shambler (aut-shotgun) and VSV (Auto Sniper) at the Armory. Is it worth buying now, or should I wait to find one lying around somewhere down the line?

Shambler costs 70 and the VSV 150. 30 and 128 with trade-in.

I'm thinking about picking up the Shambler (aut-shotgun) and VSV (Auto Sniper) at the Armory. Is it worth buying now, or should I wait to find one lying around somewhere down the line?

Shambler costs 70 and the VSV 150. 30 and 128 with trade-in.

Shambler is the best weapon in the game in my opinion. Can be silenced, has surprising range, and having 6 shots makes it a powerhouse. The air weapons are better for long range encounters of course though.

Dominator

I started 2033 today for the first time on PS4 and I just can't get into it... I'll give it another shot but it might not be for me. I'll give Last Light a shot though.

Shambler is the best weapon in the game in my opinion. Can be silenced, has surprising range, and having 6 shots makes it a powerhouse. The air weapons are better for long range encounters of course though.
What's your opinion on the VSV and the Kalash 2012? I'm just not sure if it's worth spending prized ammo on new weapons, or if I should wait to loot them of a dead body.

What's your opinion on the VSV and the Kalash 2012? I'm just not sure if it's worth spending prized ammo on new weapons, or if I should wait to loot them of a dead body.

Not a big fan of the assault rifles as they don't suit my playstyle. Never spent much time with the VSV, but you will find one so I wouldn't spend too much money on one. Kalash is good, but I would recommend that you avoid putting the biggest scope on it as it makes close quarters combat much more difficult. Nice thing about assault rifles is you find a lot of ammo for them even on ranger hardcore and you can kill an enemy in one or two shots with them as long as you hit their head.

R_Deckard

I think you have the screens confused.
No he's right, look at the arm and the glove. The higher specular reflection and shadow on arm/bullet and gun is better than high which looks flat.

Look at very high and you see the same detail and reflection with it extending to the world, look at the funnel on the wall to the left.

It sits between high and very high aside the complete loss of volumetric light for some reason in 2033 which must be a time issue, maybe a patch like PC coming. It is less in ps4 than even non patched PC (have not played LL yet to check).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
No he's right, look at the arm and the glove. The higher specular reflection and shadow on arm/bullet and gun is better than high which looks flat.

Look at very high and you see the same detail and reflection with it extending to the world, look at the funnel on the wall to the left.

It sits between high and very high aside the complete loss of volumetric light for some reason in 2033 which must be a time issue, maybe a patch like PC coming. It is less in ps4 than even non patched PC (have not played LL yet to check).

I was referring to his AO comment, hence it's bolding in the quote.

I'm trying to play 2033 Chapter 1 on Xbox One, but it gets stuck loading at 99%. I've tried reinstalling the game three times now. Once on the internal hard drive, once on my external, and another time on the external again offline so the game wouldn't update. Each time after installing the game, I had the same loading issue.

After not having any progress in fixing the loading issue, I went to play Last Light first instead. When I completed the Ashes level I got hit the 99% loading issue in Last Light also.

Has anyone with this issue found a way to fix the loading?

I know they released a patch for the OS as people were having problems installing the game from disc. Have you tried updating your console? Are you on the dash beta?

Is tessellation the secret ultra?

Yes, the tesselation in the game is pretty taxing this time around. Hence why it is completely missing from the PS4 and Xb1 versions.

Question, anyone have a screenshot of the Screen space Reflections in the PS4 version? That will tell us how close to "Very High" it is.

Top Bottom