• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

BONKERS

I think you're misunderstanding. 0.5x SSAA basically means the game will render at half of whatever resolution you actually have selected. So with 0.5x SSAA selected, 1920x1080 becomes 960x540. That's the reason why there is no 1xSSAA, because that would just be whatever resolution you picked. 2xSSAA is the game rendering your resoluion at twice the size then fittting it to the screen so that it looks better, and so on for 3x and 4x.

Edit: Simply put, 0.5x SSAA will look worse than having no SSAA. Unless you want better performance, you should NOT use 0.5x SSAA.

It's actually the amount of pixels. 960x540 is actualy 0.25x 1080p. (One quarter the amount of pixels. Hence why 960x544 is referred to as Quarter full HD or some stupid jazz).

Half as much resolution of 1920x1080 is actually in the neighborhood of ~ 1360x765

Twice as much resolution (2xSSAA)is actually usually ~2.25x (IE 1280x720 to 1920x1080) or it can also be increasing one axis over the other. (IE: 2x1 or 1x2. This would be an even 2)

And so 4xSSAA is actually 2x2 your resolution. (2x2=4)
(So 1920x1080 + 4xSSAA = render at 3840x2160>Downsample)

Yes, the tesselation in the game is pretty taxing this time around. Hence why it is completely missing from the PS4 and Xb1 versions.

Question, anyone have a screenshot of the Screen space Reflections in the PS4 version? That will tell us how close to "Very High" it is.

I changed Tessellation from normal to high last night and saw zero fps drop, but it was probably just down to the scene maybe not having much tessellation in it. But even still it seems like the only thing to hit my FPS is volumetric lighting (when it does come up).

Is there only 2 options for motion blur? (normal/off)? Theyre the only 2 options I get, was wondering if it was bugged or something. And is SSAA the only AA option? Ive dug around the menus and cant find anything but 0.5, Auto, 2 & 4xSSAA in the options

MaLDo

Everyone is running into this issue. I'm not sure what kind of machines this game was tested on (especially with Nvidia hardware). I'm not sure how these issues aren't caught during testing (unless they were known and the game was released anyway).

Everything points to an incompatibility between physx control panel / physx indicator and the new physx version running in Redux games. When the game detects a nvidia gpu, advanced physx run in the gpu regardless your physx config in drivers. So don't trust physx indicator.

valkyre

I tried to recreate a PS4 screenshot on PC with medium, high, and very high settings. It was simply done via a Fraps screenshot (and at 900p).

PS4:

GIQ6G4.jpg

PC (high settings):

2033reduxhigh900p2_zps271547ab.png~original

For extra comparison, but not taking up more room with screenshots:

Medium settings: http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x394/belmonkey/2033reduxmed900p2_zpscab2454d.png~original

Very high settings: http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x394/belmonkey/2033reduxveryhigh900p2_zpsd0e2990f.png~original

Probably not the best comparison, but flipping between the two images in different tabs (not zoomed in), I think the PS4 screenshot isn't quite up to high settings.

Does anyone with a better eye for details have an opinion?

Edit: tessellation is off

Quite baffling how someone could say the PC shot from these 2 screenshots, looks better. Look at the glove, at the lighter, the gun. The PS4 version looks considerably better in this particular set of screens in these particular settings. I agree with your opinion.

Ofcourse PC is the definitive version if you enable all settings and you max it out, but in this specific comparison, PS4 is better.

That's odd. Mine says not yet dispatched estimated delivery Saturday. I order it last week. Do you have prime? I used first class delivery.

Nah, I don't have prime. I used first class delivery also.

If I were you, I would open a chat with a customer service representative and ask wtf is up.

Calmine

Nah, I don't have prime. I used first class delivery also.

If I were you, I would open a chat with a customer service representative and ask wtf is up.

At work atm can't do live chat. Did send an email though. If I don't anything by time I get home I'll cancel and just order it from PSN. Never had this with Amazon before disappointed

After reading all the mostly positive comments here, I'm taking the plunge on 2033 first having never played the Metro series and hope I enjoy it. Also it looks like having Russian VO adds so much more atmosphere to the game?

I trust you Gaf, this is one I'm going in on purely on recommendation, plus I need something to hold me over until Destiny

Quite baffling how someone could say the PC shot from these 2 screenshots, looks better. Look at the glove, at the lighter, the gun. The PS4 version looks considerably better in this particular set of screens in these particular settings. I agree with your opinion.

Ofcourse PC is the definitive version if you enable all settings and you max it out, but in this specific comparison, PS4 is better.

Excuse me, but the only difference between the two scenes is a slight difference in lighting due to the player position being different. (hence the extra rim light on the hand and gun: he is just closer to another light source is all, or the PS4 has different color settings, causing the light from the watch to appear less blur and more blue-white)

The games assets and shading are THE EXACT SAME. People are completely imagining things. Infact, the games FP model assets barely change at all between quality presets.

If anything, the PS4 shots seems to have less evident AO and more "blurred" shadows, that is about it. That could be chalked up the quality of the jpeg quite easily though or due to a different type of shdow filtering / AO settings.

After reading all the mostly positive comments here, I'm taking the plunge on 2033 first having never played the Metro series and hope I enjoy it. Also it looks like having Russian VO adds so much more atmosphere to the game?

I trust you Gaf, this is one I'm going in on purely on recommendation, plus I need something to hold me over until Destiny

Russian VO is definitely better, but IMO you should only do it on your second playthrough, well unless you can speak Russian.

The reason is the conversations of NPCs are not subtitled, so if you want to hear what they are saying, which adds a lot to the game's settings, then you need English.

valkyre

Excuse me, but the only difference between the two scenes is a slight difference in lighting due to the player position being different.

The games assets and shading are THE EXACT SAME. People are completely imagining things. Infact, the games FP model assets barely change at all between quality presets.

If anything, the PS4 shots seems to have less evident AO and more "blurred" shadows, that is about it. That could be chalked up the quality of the jpeg quite easily though or due to a different type of shdow filtering / AO settings.

The player position looks exactly the same, now I dont know if the rest of the game is 100% exactly the same, it could very well be, but like I said in my post, in this PARTICULAR set of pictures, PS4 looks better. Is it the position? Is it the particular scene, or something that is not fully loaded? A bug? I dont know.

Only thing I can tell for sure, is that between these 2 shots in that scene, the PS4 looks to have better lighting. And I dont have to zoom the picture 200% to notice the lighter, weapon, hand differences. They are evident.

And I also noted that PC is of course the definitive version for people with the proper machine to run it. Never questioned it I believe, saying this just in case you didnt notice it.

I've played the original Metro 2033 (360) several times, and Last Light very briefly.

I was thinking of just buying Last Light Redux separately, unless Metro 2033 Redux is worth getting the bundle for? Anyone in a similar position that has bought both?

Hollow

I think the PC high looks somewhat better than the PS4 screen.. the PC version is a bit sharper and the PS4 has less ambient occlusion

I'd chalk up the softness of the PS4 image in that comparison to the compressed jpeg. I'll give you the ambient occlusion, though.

The player position looks exactly the same, now I dont know if the rest of the game is 100% exactly the same, it could very well be, but like I said in my post, in this PARTICULAR set of pictures, PS4 looks better. Is it the position? Is it the particular scene, or something that is not fully loaded? A bug? I dont know.

Only thing I can tell for sure, is that between these 2 shots in that scene, the PS4 looks to have better lighting. And I dont have to zoom the picture 200% to notice the lighter, weapon, hand differences. They are evident.

And I also noted that PC is of course the definitive version for people with the proper machine to run it. Never questioned it I believe, saying this just in case you didnt notice it.
The only noticable differences in the screens of High PC and PS4 is the difference in shading on the hand model from the player position closer to a different light. That is it.

For example, here is high running on my PC:
Notice that same whiteish color on the hand that you said made the PS4 screenshot look better? That is only due to the player position being slightly different and more accurate to the Ps4 shot. The difference you are seeing in "better" shading is just a difference in player position.
------------------------------

Now here is an actual difference in shading: Very high adds SSR to the shading model, aka more specular, more accurate light occlusion!

Russian VO is definitely better, but IMO you should only do it on your second playthrough, well unless you can speak Russian.

The reason is the conversations of NPCs are not subtitled, so if you want to hear what they are saying, which adds a lot to the game's settings, then you need English.

It does although you don't get any subtitles for any NPC such as random people at stations - an oversight from the original game.

Thanks. It kinda sucks that NPC's don't have subtitles. I really wanted to immerse myself with Russian VO on my first playthrough. The game looks brilliant though!

Dr Dogg

is there a cfg editing guide anywhere?

It's fairly self explanatory from what the settings are within and I'd assume most of what worked with Last Light will work with these two. The user.cfg file is located in your AppData folder where ever you have your User folder pointed (so for example \Users\<user name goes here>\AppData\Local\4A Games\Metro Last Light\1100001043c166b\user.cfg).

You can change the FOV, run windowed and change the renderer there (though I wouldn't mess around with the render settings as the game auto detects the correct one) as well as a few other setting that do have a front end in the games options.

There a way to disable that intro video?

I'd imagine it's the same as Last Light again so delete legal.ogv from the root install directory (or if you're the nervous sort rename it). Or what MaLDo said.

misho8723

Banned
It does although you don't get any subtitles for any NPC such as random people at stations - an oversight from the original game.

It's not a oversight - how would you make subtitles when there are about 10 people talking around you? .. this is not like in BioShock Infinite, where everyone is wainting for you to go to them and then only two people start to talking, then you go further - another 2 people start to talking about something, then you go to the next couple, etc.. in Metro nobody is wainting fo you - if there are 2,5,10 people around you, they start talking at the same or around the same time.. how do you make subtitles for this?

TJP

It's not a oversight - how would you make subtitles when there are about 10 people talking around you?
I don't know about you but I'd like English subtitles when playing with the Russian VO when talking to:

a vendor,
when a begger asks me for a bullet or when a child asks for the same thing,
random encounters with people started by pressing interact button be it knocking on doors and getting a reaction or talking to people whom are seated.

Plus we have the newly added shooting gallery under than bar in chapter 2 (Metro 2033 Redux) where one can shoot rats for prizes. The two guys running the gallery talk but I've no idea what they are saying.

So yes, Metro isn't Bioshock but I'd still like to have English subtitles for these NPC's.

TJP

These screenshot comparisons are always interesting. I find it noteworthy that the Nvidia guide for Metro: Last Light indicates the High preset also shares many of the Very High settings too, just like the PS4 version does (without tesselation, volumetric lighting, motion blur and PhysX if I have my facts correct).

Personally I think both versions look great!

misho8723

Banned
I don't know about you but I'd like English subtitles when playing with the Russian VO when talking to:

a vendor,
when a begger asks me for a bullet or when a child asks for the same thing,
random encounters with people started by pressing interact button be it knocking on doors and getting a reaction or talking to people whom are seated.

Plus we have the newly added shooting gallery under than bar in chapter 2 (Metro 2033 Redux) where one can shoot rats for prizes. The two guys running the gallery talk but I've no idea what they are saying.

So yes, Metro isn't Bioshock but I'd still like to have English subtitles for these NPC's.

Hmmm.. in many games when you're buying something from ventors, they have no subtitles.. but some situation you have mention, i can say that atleast in the czech version they have subtitles.. and in that shooting gallery those two guys are talking about how you're shooting - "Great shot! He can't shoot a thing! etc.." .. and what i was previously saying was more about those situations where you're at a station and many people around you are talking about various things, which don't have any subtitles

Anyway, i did find another new shooting gallery in another station, that wasn't there before

Hystzen

Pre ordered from Amazon a PS4 copy for £25, looked today see it dispatched ready for sat or Sunday as got next week off they now selling it for £42.
Bhhahaha

Calmine

So just got an email from Amazon basically they're sold out and I'll have to wait. Decided to cancel and order PSN instead. Ah well.

Foxyone

I think the difference in the light on the glove and gun has nothing to do with higher settings and was either a slightly different position or just the two things having a slightly different look on the console version, because the effect doesn't look anything like the effect on very high.

I think the console version looks like high with AO turned down or off. Can AO be turned off in the config file?

I think the difference in the light on the glove and gun has nothing to do with higher settings and was either a slightly different position or just the two things having a slightly different look on the console version, because the effect doesn't look anything like the effect on very high.

I think the console version looks like high with AO turned down or off. Can AO be turned off in the config file?

In the oringnal, yeah, but I am not sure about the Redux.

EDIT: Not seeing any AO options in the config.

One way to do it actually would be buy injecting broken AO bits with inspector. That could mess up the AO and turn it off (I have done it before with last light).

psychotron

Wasn't really enjoying Metro 2033 Redux all that much on PS4, but last night I hit some very satisfying combat sections and some gorgeous (in their destruction) outdoor environments. I'm liking the game a lot more now. The creepy sections I'm running into now really make me want Deep Silver to make a current gen F.E.A.R game.

Daemul

I remember one sequence putting me on edge like never before.

When you're in that station, surrounded by all those spectres.

Nothing freaked me out more than going through Dead City, and the constant lightning lighting up the place and showing shadows on the walls

What the hell is Amazon UK doing? It was dispatched for delivery at 6 in the morning, and still hasn't arrived. I'm itching to play it.

Amazon logistics, y u so slow?

Just got to the library playing 2033. Those big monsters noises are scaring the shit out of me

2033 does that thing that Half Life 2 did where suddenly you're stuck in a Horror FPS and it can really stress you out.

you can shotgun the shit out of them and there's only a limited amount of them, too, so if it's too much you can kill your way through it

Watevaman

2033 does that thing that Half Life 2 did where suddenly you're stuck in a Horror FPS and it can really stress you out.

you can shotgun the shit out of them and there's only a limited amount of them, too, so if it's too much you can kill your way through it

much easier, albeit slower, to just stare em down

misho8723

Banned
A question about the level Lost Catacombs in M2033?

Could you before in the original M2033
go down to the pit - there are some rooms - where the bridge to Market station is ?

Starviper

Man, loving this game's atmosphere. I got it running essentially maxed out with PhysX enabled, but kept SSAA off since 0.5x is a downgrade.

For those of you with issues running PhysX, try downloading a seperate PhysX install package, uninstall it, and reinstall from the package.

Top Bottom