• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

Hi MetroGAF!!

I just jumped in to 2033 and i have set the game to run on the below settings:

B8Eam13.jpg

uNDvAgX.jpg

Is there anything i should change to get the most out of how the game looks?

I'm have a fairly powerful PC (OCd 4770k, OCd 780Ti, 144Hz / Gsync Monitor).

I'm getting really high frame rates (around 70 - 100, so i can probably stand to turn some things up.

MaLDo

I tried to recreate a PS4 screenshot on PC with medium, high, and very high settings. It was simply done via a Fraps screenshot (and at 900p).

PS4:

GIQ6G4.jpg

PC (high settings):

2033reduxhigh900p2_zps271547ab.png~original

For extra comparison, but not taking up more room with screenshots:

Medium settings: http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x394/belmonkey/2033reduxmed900p2_zpscab2454d.png~original

Very high settings: http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x394/belmonkey/2033reduxveryhigh900p2_zpsd0e2990f.png~original

Probably not the best comparison, but flipping between the two images in different tabs (not zoomed in), I think the PS4 screenshot isn't quite up to high settings.

Does anyone with a better eye for details have an opinion?

Edit: tessellation is off

It's not a great scene to do a comparisson but what I can see is:

PS4 have the extra spec layer in weapon and hands that is missing in medium and high PC.
Very high in PC have those specs in weapon and hands plus every other surface. Easily visible in that red light plastic in the left wall or the metal of the cabinets. PS4 is near very high in main character but near Medium PC for rest of the scene in that matter (those fluorescent tubes).

Parallax mapping in vertical decals seems disabled in High PC, but enabled in PS4.

Shadow resolution seems low res and worse filtering in PS4 than PC high. I guess those parameters are cpu intensive.

Ambient occlusion is a bit worse in PS4 than PC high.

Reflections (SSR) are disabled in PS4. Fluorescent tube metal base.

Nugg

Hey, I'm about to play those games for the very first time, on PS4. I'm a bit lost regarding difficulty settings. So many options! I like a challenge, I like realism, but I also don't wan't the game to be excessively frustrating. What would you guys recommend?

Tokubetsu

Playing the PC version of 2033 Redux here and is it just me or is the sound mix worse than the original? Or is this one of those games where I have to set my windows/sc config to 5.1 speakers to downmix properly to stereo?

Gurish

Hey, I'm about to play those games for the very first time, on PS4. I'm a bit lost regarding difficulty settings. So many options! I like a challenge, I like realism, but I also don't wan't the game to be excessively frustrating. What would you guys recommend?
From my experience as a first time player who've tried the various modes i would recommend go with Survival-Hardcore for a first playthrough.

Ranger mode for a first playthrough is just too confusing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, 2033 Redux is a *HUUUUGE* upgrade over 2033 regular (maxed out on PC). They did a fantastic job with improving it. Whatever minor things are missing (and there are some things 2033 does better) count for little in the end as the overall image is much better in Redux (not to mention performance which is still terrible in OG 2033).

Facism

It's fairly self explanatory from what the settings are within and I'd assume most of what worked with Last Light will work with these two. The user.cfg file is located in your AppData folder where ever you have your User folder pointed (so for example Users<user name goes here>AppDataLocal4A GamesMetro Last Light1100001043c166buser.cfg).

You can change the FOV, run windowed and change the renderer there (though I wouldn't mess around with the render settings as the game auto detects the correct one) as well as a few other setting that do have a front end in the games options.

I'd imagine it's the same as Last Light again so delete legal.ogv from the root install directory (or if you're the nervous sort rename it). Or what MaLDo said.

Cool. I can run at very high but there's something enabled with it that adds a shiton of mouselag :(

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, 2033 Redux is a *HUUUUGE* upgrade over 2033 regular (maxed out on PC). They did a fantastic job with improving it. Whatever minor things are missing (and there are some things 2033 does better) count for little in the end as the overall image is much better in Redux (not to mention performance which is still terrible in OG 2033).

What about LL?

MaLDo

A few tips for people with no experience with pc games files.

Config files for Redux games are user.cfg and are located in "%localappdata%\4A Games" folder. There will be files for original games and both redux editions. Exact location depends of version/country. In my case 2033 Redux is in "\Metro 2033\110000100a2aa66\user.cfg" and Last Light Redux is in "\Metro Last Light\110000100a2aa66"

Modify r_base_fov value to higher FOV. Recomended 56 for 16:9 resolutions.
Add r_flares 0 to turn off glares and lens effects.
You can use a whatever you want value for supersampling. Game menu only allows for factors 0.5 (upscaling), 1 (native), 2, 3 and 4. In my case, Last Light is locked at 60 fps with SSAAx2 but 2033 is not. So I've used SSAAx1.5 in the config file. Use r_supersample variable for that.
Or reduce/eliminate the factor applied between axis X and Y in the camera using the controller stick. joy_sens_x (values from 0.1 to 1) is the base speed for horizontal camera turn. joy_sens_y_scale is the factor applied for vertical movement. Default value is too low for me, so I've used 0.96 instead. Value 1 means same turn speed for both axis.

Daemul

From my experience as a first time player who've tried the various modes i would recommend go with Survival-Hardcore for a first playthrough.

Ranger mode for a first playthrough is just too confusing.

Yeah, don't play on Ranger mode on your first playthrough, you'll just get frustrated and pissed off.

The way difficulty works in the Metro games, is the higher the difficulty, the easier you are to kill, but also, the easier it is for you to kill enemies. So at lower difficulties, you have more health, but enemies are also bullet sponges, taking awhile to kill, whilst at the higher difficulties, both you and the enemies are glass cannons, killing and dying incredibly fast, up to the point of one shot - one kill.

If you employ stealth you will get through Ranger mode, though there are some sections, where you'll need some damn fine aiming and dodging skills to get through.

Man, the sensitivity is way too low, even on the highest setting. Aiming up and down is even slower than left to right. Gonna take some getting used to.

Anyone else with SLI notice that 2033 Redux doesn't support it? My performance is so poor...

Maldo posted about an SLI bit change you can make using the Nvidia Inspector tool to allow for much better SLI scaling:

http://maldotex.blogspot.com/2014/0...tro-2033-redux.html?showComment=1409256972537

That unfortunately SLi bit breaks the reflecection rendering and can be pretty orienting in scenes with shiney surfaces (outside or indoors with shiney floors).

Cudder

Starting a new game in Last Light for some reason makes you lose all of your collectibles in 2033. Don't start Last Light if you're planning on going for the 2033 platinum or you'll have to gather everything again.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Starting a new game in Last Light for some reason makes you lose all of your collectibles in 2033. Don't start Last Light if you're planning on going for the 2033 platinum or you'll have to gather everything again.

I saw that warning on PowerPyx's website fortunately. I'm not even installing LL until I wrap up 2033.

That is really silly, bit weird out the settings between the two games are mirrored. Makes sense for the console releases but not when they're seperate exes on PC. But even there you can download them separately....Guess I'll back up my save? Was about to start Last Light but I don't want to go hunting for the few journals I missed right now.

Ok so i went with this settings i posted above and i have to say, the game is beautiful. The lighting is especially amazing. Looks so crisp at 1440p.

I missed these games the first time around so i'm pretty blown away.

Do you always follow someone in these games? Currently playing 2033 (for the first time) and this is getting annoying.
Reminds me of COD, so dumb. And this game isn't horror/scary at all. Half of the time you're forced to watch unskippable ingame-cutscenes or characters blocking your way for no reason. Holy shit.

For some reason the controls on the 2033 Redux PC version just feel fucked sometimes, like cutscenes break the feel of the controls some how I can't explain or prove it but something feels off sometimes. Another thing for others using the bicycle shotgun thing, does the laser sight not center for anyone else, it's like an 2 inches the the left of the center and it's driving me crazy, might switch shotguns because of it.

For some reason the controls on the 2033 Redux PC version just feel fucked sometimes, like cutscenes break the feel of the controls some how I can't explain or prove it but something feels off sometimes. Another thing for others using the bicycle shotgun thing, does the laser sight not center for anyone else, it's like an 2 inches the the left of the center and it's driving me crazy, might switch shotguns because of it.

I think this is how it is tbh. yeah

Do you always follow someone in these games? Currently playing 2033 (for the first time) and this is getting annoying.
Reminds me of COD, so dumb. And this game isn't horror/scary at all. Half of the time you're forced to watch unskippable ingame-cutscenes or characters blocking your way for no reason. Holy shit.

I agree. Everything feels more dated than it really should.

Very clunky combat mechanics as well. So how many bullets does it take to kill something? 2 or 50? Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Not impressed so far.

My god this is the worst First Person Shooter I've played since....I honestly can't remember

- unskippable ingame cutscenes
- characters talking all time (not interesting)
- characters blocking your way (you're not allowed to progress until you've heard boring dialogue)
- 90 % you're folllowing some person you've just met (hello Call of Duty), so there's no tension at all
- doors locked until friendly A.I. opens them
- enemy design is just bad
- enemy hordes... fuck this.
- "Trial and Error"

I hope this game gets better. The new Wolfenstein (even the second half) is a masterpiece compared to this game (so far).

My god this is the worst First Person Shooter I've played since....I honestly can't remember

- characters blocking your way (you're not allowed to progress until you've heard boring dialogue)
- 90 % you're folllowing some person you've just met (hello Call of Duty), so there's no tension at all
- "Trial and Error"

I hope this game gets better. The new Wolfenstein (even the second half) is a masterpiece compared to this game (so far).

Well, it's a real story-based shooter. Last Light is a bit better (where applicable) in most of the aspects you mentioned.

That said, I'm having a blast with 2033 Redux. I could barely remember anything that happened in the original, so it's cool seeing it again, and now it actually plays decently when compared to its predecessor.

Five shotgun shots right into the face? No problem, this human being is still laughing at me.
What a horrible game. Game design straight from developer hell. The metacritic score has to be a joke, right?

edit: Holy shit I just died and the last checkpoint was 25 minutes ago. Fuck this game. I'm done.

Liamc723

Five shotgun shots right into the face? No problem, this human being is still laughing at me.
What a horrible game. Game design straight from developer hell. The metacritic score has to be a joke, right?

Come on man, I understand some of your problems, I'm even having a few issues too, but it's not that bad.

Play on Ranger Hardcore, enemies die in one shot to the head without exception. And you're not with the AI for 90% of the game, only the beginning and penultimate chapters.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I checked the past few pages, couldn't find anything.

Once the game had booted to the Main Menu, and it automatically detected the settings for me, I noticed everything looked a bit .... low res. I found in Video options it was set to native res, but still everything didn't look right. I changed SSAA to 2x, accepted it, and everything looked crisp (as expected). I then turned off SSAA, and everything remained sharp, as expected at native res.

However, when I quit and relaunch the game, its goes back to looking low res, almost like its reverting to 0.5x SSAA, even though the options show it as disabled.

Could the game be forcing this, possibly down to me running a 1GB card currently ?

Cudder

- "Trial and Error"

i don't really understand your complaints. what you call boring dialogue I call world building and characterization. Going up to groups of NPC's and listening to what they say to me and each other is amazing. where else would you get the story from in a game like this without dialogue between characters? it's way better than picking up audio logs like in every other shooter out there.

I don't get what you mean by enemy design is bad. I thought it was pretty fucking great.
the part where you "fight" the Librarians is utterly incredible and introduces a new way to move through the environment and overall tension. and the area with the small enemies that burrow underground and can come out of any hole and attack you is pretty great too especially since you can hear them scurrying beneath the surface.

Top Bottom