• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

GavinUK86

My god this is the worst First Person Shooter I've played since....I honestly can't remember

- unskippable ingame cutscenes
- characters talking all time (not interesting)
- characters blocking your way (you're not allowed to progress until you've heard boring dialogue)
- 90 % you're folllowing some person you've just met (hello Call of Duty), so there's no tension at all
- doors locked until friendly A.I. opens them
- enemy design is just bad
- enemy hordes... fuck this.
- "Trial and Error"

I hope this game gets better. The new Wolfenstein (even the second half) is a masterpiece compared to this game (so far).

Five shotgun shots right into the face? No problem, this human being is still laughing at me.
What a horrible game. Game design straight from developer hell. The metacritic score has to be a joke, right?

edit: Holy shit I just died and the last checkpoint was 25 minutes ago. Fuck this game. I'm done.

I have no idea what game you're playing but it doesn't sound like Metro 2033 to me.

Most of your points are complaining about the game trying telling you a story but you just don't want that. It sounds like you're too impatient and just want to run around shotgunning everything that moves. Maybe Call of Duty is more your type of game?

If you're not interested in the story and dialogue then I suggest you go and play something else.

You're completely wrong about the game design too. One hit kill with most weapons for me.

how am I supposed to read the shop gun shop menu? where does it say how many bullets I'm getting per "order"

This menu is really bad at communicating to the player

I have no idea what game you're playing but it doesn't sound like Metro 2033 to me.

Most of your points are complaining about the game trying telling you a story but you just don't want that. It sounds like you're too impatient and just want to run around shotgunning everything that moves. Maybe Call of Duty is more your type of game?

If you're not interested in the story and dialogue then I suggest you go and play something else.

You're completely wrong about the game design too. One hit kill with most weapons for me.

No I'm not against story telling but you're right...something was clearly wrong with my game. I quit and restarted it and now the enemies in this section are dying after one headshot. I also saw an event that wasn't there before (trigger)....so..a bug maybe?

GavinUK86

No I'm not against story telling but you're right...something was clearly wrong with my game. I quit and restarted it and now the enemies in this section are dying after one headshot. I also saw an event that wasn't there before (trigger)....so..a bug maybe?

Maybe.

If you stick with it, it's honestly a great game.

Faith

286690_2014-08-29_000cwpmq.png

286690_2014-08-29_000lnokx.png

286690_2014-08-29_000utppb.png

286690_2014-08-29_000t3rkl.png

286690_2014-08-29_000dvplc.png

286690_2014-08-29_000teoxh.png

286690_2014-08-29_00058qiz.png

286690_2014-08-29_0008aoqb.png

286690_2014-08-29_000qsodx.png

Played 2033 Redux for an hour and I'm still blown away by the graphics. Find it even more impressive than Crysis 3.

misho8723

Banned
I really like that even though they did bring the game to the new engine from LL, it still feels like Metro 2033 - well i mean in Survival mode, i don't know how it's in Sparta mode - the guns feel better than in original, but not so "good" like in LL - and i like that clunky fell to them.. this is the first chapter of Artyoms story, he isn't perfect when it comes to handling of weapons, so this is area of Redux edition which i really like they didn't change as much.. for somebody that's a problem, and i can see why, but for me this is the perfect balance.. although the mutants animations could be better - in 2033R they aren't as good as in LL - but whatever :)

Fbh

Finally got mine on Ps4 and managed to play a bit over an hour.

So far it's great, love the atmosphere and while it's not the PC version I still think it looks nice (plus the locked 60 fps are nice):

Started in survival mode hardcore ranger because it just felt like the "right" way to play.

My only complaint right now is that while I understand that hardcore has no HUD, they could at least explain every game mechanic once (or show you an image with the controls).
Is there any site where they explain this?.

I'm all for figuring out stuff on my own. But I died like 5 times in an early section thinking I was doing something wrong until I realized It was a QTE.
I'm also supposed to have a flashlight, right? How do I turn it on?

So far it's great, love the atmosphere and while it's not the PC version I still think it looks nice (plus the locked 60 fps are nice):

Started in survival mode hardcore ranger because it just felt like the "right" way to play.

My only complaint right now is that while I understand that hardcore has no HUD, they could at least explain every game mechanic once (or show you an image with the controls).

I'm all for figuring stuff out on my own. But I died like 5 times in an early section thinking I was doing something wrong until I realized It was a QTE.

Should be up on the D-Pad, I think. You can check the controls in the settings menu, there's a couple of presets to choose from.

Unrelated note, just finished the Trolley Combat level again. Just as it did in the original, the game seems to insist on me putting on my night vision goggles and then proceeding to blind me the entire level through. Then, about halfway in, it throws a bug in my face that requires me to restart the level. Just as I'm dreading the tank encounter that was in this level in the original... The level ends. Either it got scrapped, or I'm just that good. :lol

Graphics are good

The animations are pretty damn rough though

Do you mean the thirdperson animations of NPCs or something?

The FP and contextual animations in this game are fantastic. Similar with the human engage animation and the monster movement ones.

Rivitur

Banned

I'm all for figuring stuff out on my own. But I died like 5 times in an early section thinking I was doing something wrong until I realized It was a QTE.
There's a reason why ranger isn't encouraged on your first play through lol. If you don't know the controller scheme look in the options menu.

misho8723

Banned
Should be up on the D-Pad, I think. You can check the controls in the settings menu, there's a couple of presets to choose from.

Unrelated note, just finished the Trolley Combat level again. Just as it did in the original, the game seems to insist on me putting on my night vision goggles and then proceeding to blind me the entire level through. Then, about halfway in, it throws a bug in my face that requires me to restart the level. Just as I'm dreading the tank encounter that was in this level in the original... The level ends. Either it got scrapped, or I'm just that good. :lol

The tank boss is gone.. now you're the reason that train fall down into the water :)

Editing the config for Last Light reset the difficulty from Ranger Hardcore to normal, weird. Time to restart >_>

At least the fov is changed and I got a bit of SSAA going.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
What was your previous fix for the stuttering?

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Windows-7-amp-Core-Parking-a-better-way-to-Turn-It-OFF-m1861804.aspx

It works, it's just that it seems to reset upon a checkpoint restart. Exiting the game fixes it full out, but sometimes restarting the checkpoint a second time also works. I think it must have something to do with loading.

It's actually the amount of pixels. 960x540 is actualy 0.25x 1080p. (One quarter the amount of pixels. Hence why 960x544 is referred to as Quarter full HD or some stupid jazz).

Half as much resolution of 1920x1080 is actually in the neighborhood of ~ 1360x765

Twice as much resolution (2xSSAA)is actually usually ~2.25x (IE 1280x720 to 1920x1080) or it can also be increasing one axis over the other. (IE: 2x1 or 1x2. This would be an even 2)

And so 4xSSAA is actually 2x2 your resolution. (2x2=4)
(So 1920x1080 + 4xSSAA = render at 3840x2160>Downsample)

Ok, thanks for the correct :D

A few tips for people with no experience with pc games files.

Config files for Redux games are user.cfg and are located in "%localappdata%\4A Games" folder. There will be files for original games and both redux editions. Exact location depends of version/country. In my case 2033 Redux is in "\Metro 2033\110000100a2aa66\user.cfg" and Last Light Redux is in "\Metro Last Light\110000100a2aa66"

Modify r_base_fov value to higher FOV. Recomended 56 for 16:9 resolutions.
Add r_flares 0 to turn off glares and lens effects.
You can use a whatever you want value for supersampling. Game menu only allows for factors 0.5 (upscaling), 1 (native), 2, 3 and 4. In my case, Last Light is locked at 60 fps with SSAAx2 but 2033 is not. So I've used SSAAx1.5 in the config file. Use r_supersample variable for that.
Or reduce/eliminate the factor applied between axis X and Y in the camera using the controller stick. joy_sens_x (values from 0.1 to 1) is the base speed for horizontal camera turn. joy_sens_y_scale is the factor applied for vertical movement. Default value is too low for me, so I've used 0.96 instead. Value 1 means same turn speed for both axis.

Random question, but you the same Maldo that does the Crysis mods?

T.O.P

Banned
The first person animations are pretty good. I love the reloads in particular.

absolutely, fp animations are bloody good

Do you mean the thirdperson animations of NPCs or something?

The FP and contextual animations in this game are fantastic. Similar with the human engage animation and the monster movement ones.

Not for me :/

Mouth movements (and eyes, or expressions in general) on npc (even the important ones) are robotic as hell, kinda kills the immersion

Monsters moves akwardly, i donnow how to explain, like, they start an attack animation, you hit 'em and the animation just completely reset, no smoothness to it at all, they seems to skip frames (really have zero technical knowledge on programming so bear with me lol)

Crouching in front of enemies in broad light and they still can't see you (really wish they would've fixed this)

I'm loving the game as much as the first time on pc, but i'm noticing a lot more problems this time around

BONKERS

I changed Tessellation from normal to high last night and saw zero fps drop, but it was probably just down to the scene maybe not having much tessellation in it. But even still it seems like the only thing to hit my FPS is volumetric lighting (when it does come up).

Is there only 2 options for motion blur? (normal/off)? Theyre the only 2 options I get, was wondering if it was bugged or something. And is SSAA the only AA option? Ive dug around the menus and cant find anything but 0.5, Auto, 2 & 4xSSAA in the options

SSAA since Last Light has been the only option. It's essentially a hybrid AA solution though.

Because it combines standard SSAA with their hybrid AAA/FXAA solution.

It seems to work well for the most part.

Personally if you have the hardware power, 1.5x1.5 driver downsampling + 4xSSAA = sex

In the oringnal, yeah, but I am not sure about the Redux.

EDIT: Not seeing any AO options in the config.

One way to do it actually would be buy injecting broken AO bits with inspector. That could mess up the AO and turn it off (I have done it before with last light).

I wouldn't mess with the AO in this game. It's fine.

Unless there is a specific way to disable it, but I doubt it. It's probably integrated into their GI solution

i don't really understand your complaints. what you call boring dialogue I call world building and characterization. Going up to groups of NPC's and listening to what they say to me and each other is amazing. where else would you get the story from in a game like this without dialogue between characters? it's way better than picking up audio logs like in every other shooter out there.

People like this are stuck in their ways and games like this obviously aren't intended for people like them.
To people like this, FPS games should all be like Doom, Duke Nukem and the like where you do nothing but shoot everything that moves, look for the keys, find the secrets! Beat the boss! Rinse repeat. *Yawn*

Which is ok, even if I disagree in every possible way.

Mr. Tibbs

My god this is the worst First Person Shooter I've played since....I honestly can't remember

- unskippable ingame cutscenes
- characters talking all time (not interesting)
- characters blocking your way (you're not allowed to progress until you've heard boring dialogue)
- 90 % you're folllowing some person you've just met (hello Call of Duty), so there's no tension at all
- doors locked until friendly A.I. opens them
- enemy design is just bad
- enemy hordes... fuck this.
- "Trial and Error"

I hope this game gets better. The new Wolfenstein (even the second half) is a masterpiece compared to this game (so far).

Whoa, I thought Wolfenstein was pretty much an imitation of the Metro formula, sans the atmosphere, powerful technology and design chops. 2033's essential. TNO felt like a gimmicky mess with bland weapons, boring enemies and an underbaked setting.

misho8723

Banned
Does anyone else have a problem with flickering textures/objects in the PC version ? It can't be because of tesselation, because this feature I had ON in Last Light and not once did I see some form of this problem in that game

Marjar

Banned
It's nice to finally be able to play Metro 2033 without that godawful stealth of the original game.

It looks fantastic too. Lip syncing could be better (some characters have super flappy tongues for some reason), but that's a bit nit picky.

2033 on normal so far definitely seems harder than Last Light was on normal.

Foxyone

My Radeon 6570m manages ~40+ FPS at high settings (no physx or tessellation) 900p with 0.5x SSAA (= ~1/3 the pixels of 1080p). Considering how much mid-range desktop GPUs destroy this laptop GPU, I would have thought they'd easily manage 3x the resolution and get around 60 FPS at high settings. Does the game perform alright at high settings on typical desktop GPUs?

Card Boy

Banned
It's nice to finally be able to play Metro 2033 without that godawful stealth of the original game.

It looks fantastic too. Lip syncing could be better (some characters have super flappy tongues for some reason), but that's a bit nit picky.

2033 on normal so far definitely seems harder than Last Light was on normal.

did they remove stealth completely or just make it better?

RoKKeR

did they remove stealth completely or just make it better?

It's LL's system, which is significantly better. Still a bit wonky, but that's sort of what you get across the board with Metro.

Recalling that 2033 is certainly rough around the edges but it nails the pacing, setting and atmosphere. I just got to the part where
the railcars buddy of yours blows himself up and you go speeding down the hill into the black abyss thinking "oh fuck I'm going to be alone down here."
Just fills you with dread without saying a word, it's well done.

All in all I think LL is a better designed game, which isn't surprising considering 2033 was 4A's first outing. But 2033 certainly has a charm and mood that wasn't quite replicated in the sequel. (though it came close) Looking forward to playing LL soon.

Whoa, I thought Wolfenstein was pretty much an imitation of the Metro formula, sans the atmosphere, powerful technology and design chops. 2033's essential. TNO felt like a gimmicky mess with bland weapons, boring enemies and an underbaked setting.

Wolf's an iteration on what those devs were doing before Metro was even a twinkle in 4A's eye, quite obviously in some chapters. The voice acting and characterization are far superior in that game as well.

With that said, 2033 is fun so far. It's not all perfect, but I love the atmosphere + pacing. Stealth is satisfying when it works as well- blowing out candles, shooting lanterns and stabby stabby.

b0uncyfr0

Why don't you force AA through Nvidia Inspector? I'm forcing Ultra SMAA

So if we've disabled SSAA (for the middle tier peeps playing), i saw something about some AAA/FXAA kicking in. How does SMAA work with that?

Normally the two put together are a recipe for disaster no?

RoKKeR

The surface areas in Metro 2033 are so unbelievably better than the original. The point when you
leave the Metro for the second time and encounter the Nazis on the surface
is vastly improved.

Sitting at the main menu on 2033 Redux and can't decide if I want Survivor or Spartan.

Survivor is the way to go for 2033. Last Light's design is more tailored to action while 2033 is more about resource management (sort of) and more of a scavenging, not-guns-blazing.

DasFool

My Radeon 6570m manages ~40+ FPS at high settings (no physx or tessellation) 900p with 0.5x SSAA (= ~1/3 the pixels of 1080p). Considering how much mid-range desktop GPUs destroy this laptop GPU, I would have thought they'd easily manage 3x the resolution and get around 60 FPS at high settings. Does the game perform alright at high settings on typical desktop GPUs?

My 7850 is running this at 60 most of the time on high with no tessellation or SSAA. When I turn it up to very high, it averages around 40-45. Still looks fantastic.

Sitting at the main menu on 2033 Redux and can't decide if I want Survivor or Spartan.

Go survivor. I just started another playthrough on spartan and all the resource management is gone. They just flood you with ammo and supplies. Kinda kills the atmosphere.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I am loving Last Light so far. It's even better than 2033. So glad Redux happened so I finally got the chance to play these. Awesome series.

Mr. Tibbs

Wolf's an iteration on what those devs were doing before Metro was even a twinkle in 4A's eye, quite obviously in some chapters. The voice acting and characterization are far superior in that game as well.

Different strokes for different folks.

I think the storytelling and characterization in Wolfy is absolutely appalling. I couldn't stand any of the characters. The Tarantino comparisons (unless folks are meaning Four Rooms) are without merit.

To me, it doesn't play like Riddick. The stealth and action was seamless in Chronicles, but it's just awkward here in TNO (they try to remedy the broken stealth by having guard face away from you forever when you enter a new area). It's like a less successful version of Last Light. Riddick is a masterpiece, TNO's a good shooter marred by serious pacing issues and a bit of an identity crisis.

HiiiLife

For the life of me I can't remember how to pump this damn air gun.

Edit: got it. The gunplay mechanics in this game feels weird.

Facism

this night vision goggles bug is seriously getting on my fucking tits. Everytime control is taken away from me, NV GOGGLES ON LOL FUCK YOU CAN'T SEE ANYTHING. Really fucked me on the trolley level, really fucking me on every cutscene. How could this shit get through testing?

Fbh

Damn this game is awesome.
Just played the first "outsie world" level in 2033 loved the level design of that area and just how great it looks.

Sadly I had to swich from the Russian voices to the english dub. It's a bit dissapointing that they only have subtitles for the main dialogs. I would understand if they didn't have subtitles for every side conversation in the stations but sometimes NPC's talk directly to you and you can't understand them.

How does it look on PS4?

Personally I think it looks nice.
Obviously not as good as the PC version but I'm playing Metro 2033 right now and I think they did a fine job with it.

Over at the console screenshot thread there are several pics of the game running on Ps4 (I also uploaded a few).

Also keep in mind that it's one of the few games on Ps4 to actually run at 60fps.
Unlike stuff like Tomb Raider and Battlefield 4 which has constant slowdowns to 40-50fps, this seems to be really solid 60 fps.

Yeah, don't play on Ranger mode on your first playthrough, you'll just get frustrated and pissed off.

The way difficulty works in the Metro games, is the higher the difficulty, the easier you are to kill, but also, the easier it is for you to kill enemies. So at lower difficulties, you have more health, but enemies are also bullet sponges, taking awhile to kill, whilst at the higher difficulties, both you and the enemies are glass cannons, killing and dying incredibly fast, up to the point of one shot - one kill.

If you employ stealth you will get through Ranger mode, though there are some sections, where you'll need some damn fine aiming and dodging skills to get through.

This sounds A W E S O M E!!!

How does it look on PS4?

Lighting looks fucking great in certain scenes I won't spoil for you (I know, lack of volumetric yadah yadah) The world itself looks great also thanks to the solid art direction. The characters look way too "last gen" to be honest. That's the only criticism I have and I actually look they look plain bad artistically.

As mentioned, game is 1080p with post-processing AA and looks crisp as fried chicken. The most solid 60fps I've seen since my time with Ground Zeroes.

I'm ready to give up. I can't progress through the Ghosts level in Metro 2033. Khan stops walking every time and just stands there in the middle of the train. I've tried reloading checkpoints, replaying whole levels. It simply doesn't work.

Good thing I bought the game digitally otherwise I would be able to return it.

Xbox One version here.

I'm ready to give up. I can't progress through the Ghosts level in Metro 2033. Khan stops walking every time and just stands there in the middle of the train. I've tried reloading checkpoints, replaying whole levels. It simply doesn't work.

Good thing I bought the game digitally otherwise I would be able to return it.

Xbox One version here.

Same situation, but with PS4 digital version instead.

I love the Metro games and this Redux version has been great so far, just a bit disappointed that I can't play any further because of this bug.

Edit: Through trial and error I found out that you need to use the lighter in order to burn the webs. Maybe Khan should have said something about using a lighter instead of just standing there. Oh well, no biggie.

Top Bottom