• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

Whoa, I thought Wolfenstein was pretty much an imitation of the Metro formula, sans the atmosphere, powerful technology and design chops. 2033's essential. TNO felt like a gimmicky mess with bland weapons, boring enemies and an underbaked setting.

To be fair I was talking about the first 2-3 hours of Metro 2033. I'm in chapter 4 (out of 7) and the game gets better after chapter 3.

misho8723

Banned
I'm ready to give up. I can't progress through the Ghosts level in Metro 2033. Khan stops walking every time and just stands there in the middle of the train. I've tried reloading checkpoints, replaying whole levels. It simply doesn't work.

Good thing I bought the game digitally otherwise I would be able to return it.

Xbox One version here.

Use your lighter to burn the spider-webs ... not a bug.. you just need to use your brain in this game

misho8723

Banned
Basically... It is caused by a bug ;)

No.. the spiderwebs are used to slow your movement or to stop you entirely, so you must use your lighter to burn them .. it's a new element of the game, which was first introduced in Last Light.. it's a game mechanic.. so no BUG!.. just because you don't understand this game, it doesn't mean it's a bug.. don't you understand?

P.S. oh fuck.. thanks for pointing that out that to me, Deaf Spacker.. now I understand it :).. Well, atleast I made a fool out of me :D

No.. the spiderwebs are used to slow your movement or to stop you entirely, so you must use your lighter to burn them .. it's a new element of the game, which was first introduced in Last Light.. it's a game mechanic.. so no BUG!.. just because you don't understand this game, it doesn't mean it's a bug.. don't you understand?

He was hinting that the spider is a bug... I think?

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
absolutely, fp animations are bloody good

Not for me :/

Mouth movements (and eyes, or expressions in general) on npc (even the important ones) are robotic as hell, kinda kills the immersion

Monsters moves akwardly, i donnow how to explain, like, they start an attack animation, you hit 'em and the animation just completely reset, no smoothness to it at all, they seems to skip frames (really have zero technical knowledge on programming so bear with me lol)

Crouching in front of enemies in broad light and they still can't see you (really wish they would've fixed this)

I'm loving the game as much as the first time on pc, but i'm noticing a lot more problems this time around
I gotta agree with this, loving the game but these animations are a bit sucky.
Basically... It is caused by a bug ;)
240px-I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Hystzen

Not going be playing this when get home finally tonight. Amazon decided fuck it can't be arsed sending it and now has no dispatch date. At least I remembered why I stopped ordering from amazon.co.uk always had issues then not delivering when game is released

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Doing my second playthrough of 2033 on Survivor Normal and I have to admit that I am surprised at how little difference there actually is between Survivor and Spartan. I sure can't tell that resources are supposed to be limited on Survivor since I have mostly had plenty of ammo and even went guns a blazing in quite a few sections. The only difference that has had an effect are the slower releaods. That can get annoying when fighting basilisks and watchmen.

Doing my second playthrough of 2033 on Survivor Normal and I have to admit that I am surprised at how little difference there actually is between Survivor and Spartan. I sure can't tell that resources are supposed to be limited on Survivor since I have mostly had plenty of ammo and even went guns a blazing in quite a few sections. The only difference that has had an effect are the slower releaods. That can get annoying when fighting basilisks and watchmen.

Is it probably because you are playing on Normal?

Man, there's this annoying glitch where Artyom puts on his night vision goggles for every cutscene in the game... I'm not playing on until it's fixed. It's just too annoying.

So how is the framerate on xb1 for both games? I saw the DF videos and skimmed through the article on it but that doesn't cover the whole game. Also does the physical version have two or one disc? I'm guessing just one. Apologies if this was mentioned or asked before

psychotron

Just hit a part in 2033 where I had a huge room full of enemies, which I picked off one by one using stealth. It was awesome! It totally felt like I was playing Arkham Asylum (without the no killing rule), watching the others get scared as their friends disappeared. Easily my favorite part yet.

Facism

What does Very High add over High? I want to try and figure out what's causing this mouselag i'm getting when i switch. FPS is fine.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is it probably because you are playing on Normal?
Yes, I am playing on normal, but I expected the differences to be a little bit greater since I played spartan on normal also.

I guess after playing and beating The Last of Us in grounded mode I have a different opinion on what limited resources means!

Dr Dogg

Just had a moment where I inadvertently startled a librarian and ended up running around screaming like a child but finally manage to drop the guy with my last grenade, bloody hell! As much as I'm missing some of the lighting and ambient smoke effects whilst down bellow, the new lighting changes on the surface for me look great.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Just had a moment where I inadvertently startled a librarian and ended up running around screaming like a child but finally manage to drop the guy with my last grenade, bloody hell! As much as I'm missing some of the lighting and ambient smoke effects whilst down bellow, the new lighting changes on the surface for me look great.

If you have to kill a librarian, keep throwing knives handy. They worked really well against them in vanilla 2033.

RoKKeR

I'm ready to give up. I can't progress through the Ghosts level in Metro 2033. Khan stops walking every time and just stands there in the middle of the train. I've tried reloading checkpoints, replaying whole levels. It simply doesn't work.

Good thing I bought the game digitally otherwise I would be able to return it.

Xbox One version here.

I recall having some issues here, but I think there are some spider webs in your way that you have to burn. (up on D-pad)

I'm not 100% sure though, just a thought.

Edit: and I see it's been answered. So, do that.

If you have to kill a librarian, keep throwing knives handy. They worked really well against them in vanilla 2033.

OR! the super OP Helsing. Seriously... overcharged Helsing may or may not be the best weapon in the game for Ranger Hardcore survival.

Feel like a right numpty right now. In my rush to get Metro 2033 Redux I assumed both games were in the download, which in my mind for £15.99 seemed impossibly great value.

Serves me right for not looking at the store rather than just the link for Metro 2033 Redux. It's a good thing I've never played either game and can just focus on the original for now and then buy Last Light Redux later.

I need a drink lol.

Dumb question. I put on my night vision goggles. Do they automatically turn on or do I have to press another button? Please tell me it's not a glitch.

I hope they patch in some extra sensitivity options. After playing some more, I'm having a hard time getting used to it, it feels way too sluggish. The fact that the vertical sensitivity doesn't match the horizontal sensitivity doesn't help, either.

I've also noticed that there is screen-tearing at the very top of the screen on the PS4 version. I don't think you would be able to see it if your screen was set to 16:9, but I have my TV set to 1:1. It's not distracting or anything, though. I'm surprised I even noticed it, it's co close to the edge of the screen.

Dr Dogg

Ha! I'll keep that in mind. Thankfully I got through those two sections with just the one error. Got backed into a corner and the brute wouldn't let up.

OR! the super OP Helsing. Seriously... overcharged Helsing may or may not be the best weapon in the game for Ranger Hardcore survival.

Christ I forgot about that. I've been rolling with the BB Rifle instead. That and I've been hoarding all my Military Ammo for some stupid reason when I could have picked up one with a scope ages ago.

All the glitches and shoddy finishing you guys speak of... Are they more prevalent in 2033, LL or both?

I'm really only interested in playing LL again, as I rushed through it something shocking last gen.

An easy way to get the kill a librarian trophy/achievement is to take out the first one you encounter. On Survival Ranger Hardcore, I threw a sticky grenade on him, and blasted him in the face twice with a shotgun. When the grenade blew up, he died.

On the rest of the archives level you can pretty easily avoid them, or just run for it.

All the glitches and shoddy finishing you guys speak of... Are they more prevalent in 2033, LL or both?

I'm really only interested in playing LL again, as I rushed through it something shocking last gen.

I finished my playthrough of Metro 2033 last night on PS4.
I didn't encounter any glitches or bugs.

WTF is this shit?
I'm fighting against thousands of soldiers outside and my dumb character always takes his gas mask off. The funny thing is: I can't use it anymore. Lol, this game.

edit; Lol, another bug. This time he didn't put his mask off and everything worked. Nice.

WTF is this shit?
I'm fighting against thousands of soldiers outside and my dumb character always takes his gas mask off. The funny thing is: I can't use it anymore. Lol, this game.

If you're getting hit with a gas mask on it will eventually break and your character takes it off because it is broken.

Played a few hours of 2033 Redux and it feels a LOT better gameplay wise. I can stealth properly now and shoot people easier. It feels fantastic

Visually I think it's taken a bit of a negative hit, it runs much better but a lot of the feel and ambience seems missing. Seems to be less smoke and fog hanging in the air and lighting feels a little less. I dunno how to explain it.

But still, 2033 is one of my favourite games ever and this new version is even better. It plays great now

So can you not buy filters in Riga? I've never played but I saw on a guide that it recommends buying as many as possible before leaving, but the guide was for vanillia and I can't find them at all in redux.

Oh you can record videos on Ps4? I always thought that the "share" button is only for streaming.
You need a twitch account for streaming, right?

Yeah, go to share options and set how long you want to record for (I think it's 15/5/3/1 minutes), then, when something you want to record happens, just press (or hold, depending on your share button settings) the share button and press square to save clip.

Top Bottom