• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

Rizzi

I had some money left in my PSN wallet so I bought 2033. This game manages to creep me out more than just about anything else that I have played.

I hope they patch in some extra sensitivity options. After playing some more, I'm having a hard time getting used to it, it feels way too sluggish. The fact that the vertical sensitivity doesn't match the horizontal sensitivity doesn't help, either.

I also found it painfully sluggish but the sensitivity is adjustable for looking around and when ADS. Not just the presets.

All shooters should have both of these options.

Agreed.

RoKKeR

I had some money left in my PSN wallet so I bought 2033. This game manages to creep me out more than just about anything else that I have played.

It's the close I get to playing horror games. I'm a pretty big wuss when it comes to horror and I'm always just "on-edge" when playing Metro, even if I know what to expect.

The Chef

Welp, just ran into a game breaking bug.
Playing 2033 I get killed by some creature. When I hit "Continue from last checkpoint" I start in the water and die in a second or two. An endless death loop wonderful.
Dont know if I have the energy to start over. $25 well spent.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
With the tweaks, I think Metro 2033 is greater than ever and certainly better than the sequel. The game feels so dirty, so solitary, so grimey, and so...I dunno, the only word I can think of is survival. Classic game.

With the tweaks, I think Metro 2033 is greater than ever and certainly better than the sequel. The game feels so dirty, so solitary, so grimey, and so...I dunno, the only word I can think of is survival. Classic game.

try playing Stalker with the complete mod

Playing 2033 I get killed by some creature. When I hit "Continue from last checkpoint" I start in the water and die in a second or two. An endless death loop wonderful.

Restart the level... not the whole game...

Cudder

just start the current chapter over?

The Chef

Forgot I could do that.
Thanks guys.

Hey also, can I throw knives? I thought I just picked one up but am not sure how to equip/use it. PS4.

RoKKeR

Forgot I could do that.
Thanks guys.

Hey also, can I throw knives? I thought I just picked one up but am not sure how to equip/use it. PS4.

Hold down Y/Triangle which opens up the weapons menu and press up on the D-pad, should select knives for you. Use RB/L1 to throw.

psychotron

Just finished 2033. Wow, it just kept getting better as it went along. I kept stopping to take in the beautiful visuals on the last level. I'd already beaten Last Light on PS3 but now the story makes more sense and I'm excited to go through on Redux.

So, Redux 2033 looks worse than 2033?
A friend sent me his Redux screens and I took some 2033 myself...

r2dxvIy.jpg

Sm8VsZR.jpg

Redux
cOvG6so.jpg

ssBhcIn.jpg

Dysun

Not really feeling 2033 so far. I'm on Chapter 4 and thoroughly unimpressed. Some of my friends told me to skip it and head for Last Light, anyone else here feel the same way?

I will probably end up finishing 2033 now that I've gotten this far though.

Cudder

Not really feeling 2033 so far. I'm on Chapter 4 and thoroughly unimpressed. Some of my friends told me to skip it and head for Last Light, anyone else here feel the same way?

What don't you like about it?

The first 2-3 hours were pretty boring/ horrible imo. Didn't like it at first but I'm on chapter 4 right now and loving it.

Fbh

Is it worth it upgrading weapons in the stations?.

So far I'm doing fine with the shotgun + revolver combo. Yesterday I was thinking about getting a laser sight for the shotgun but decided not to, and then in the next level I actually found a shotgun with laser sight.

Do you continue to find upgraded weapons or was that an exception?

So, Redux 2033 looks worse than 2033?
A friend sent me his Redux screens and I took some 2033 myself...

Most people I've talked to say they like Redux better and that it gives them better performance on their hardware.
I just keep seeing the same 2-3 screenshots of specific places were the original looks better

misho8723

Banned
So how many new places - rooms did you discover in Redux which weren't in the original?
I did find some shooting galleries in some stations so far, new rooms in Lost Catacombs in the pit under the bridge to Market station and some new rooms in Dead City 2

I hope they patch in some extra sensitivity options. After playing some more, I'm having a hard time getting used to it, it feels way too sluggish. The fact that the vertical sensitivity doesn't match the horizontal sensitivity doesn't help, either.

I've also noticed that there is screen-tearing at the very top of the screen on the PS4 version. I don't think you would be able to see it if your screen was set to 16:9, but I have my TV set to 1:1. It's not distracting or anything, though. I'm surprised I even noticed it, it's co close to the edge of the screen.

Didn`t the devs say in the digital foundry interview that the ps4 version is v-synced?!

Been playing 2033 a bit, but the two times I tried it, both times I got eye strain. Don't know what's causing it, as I normally only have that with low fps FPS games. Was really looking forward to the games too.

Andrew LB

Banned
My god this is the worst First Person Shooter I've played since....I honestly can't remember

You must be a CoD camper fan eh?

- unskippable ingame cutscenes
- characters talking all time (not interesting)
- characters blocking your way (you're not allowed to progress until you've heard boring dialogue)
- 90 % you're folllowing some person you've just met (hello Call of Duty), so there's no tension at all
- doors locked until friendly A.I. opens them
- enemy design is just bad
- enemy hordes... fuck this.
- "Trial and Error"

1. Yes, You can skip cut scenes. but you'd clearly miss the story. People like you are why good games get bad ratings. Metro is not a game for console kiddos who only want mindless button mashing machine-gunning.
2. See answer #1
3. I haven't had problems with characters blocking my way.
4. The longest you follow someone is just a few sections, and thats Pavel.
5. Do people just normally leave their lockers unlocked?
6. Your subjective opinion. Not necessarily factual.
7. But i thought you wanted "no-story" and "machine gun rampage"?
8. If you don't want to have to figure things out, go watch a movie.

T.O.P

Banned
Loving the game

Just wish they fixed the stealth, if i'm not forced into a firearm fight it's just too easy to clear the area with the knife, AI is just not good on that

RoKKeR

Just finished 2033. Had a great time revisiting the game. The second half is much stronger than the first (though Dead City is a great level) and the game really comes into it's own in the later stages.
The Library
is just as terrifying as it was before, too. All in all the improvements and new engine made for a much more enjoyable play through than the original as all of the systems came together more effectively than they did in the past.

Really looking forward to moving onto Last Light as I feel it's just a better designed game through and through. Will revisit 2033 afterwards... I want that 100% gamerscore!

Ran into minimal bugs on my way through, and it looked unbelievably good on the XB1, probably the best looking game I've played on the console next to Ryse.

1. Yes, You can skip cut scenes. but you'd clearly miss the story. People like you are why good games get bad ratings. Metro is not a game for console kiddos who only want mindless button mashing machine-gunning.
2. See answer #1

Lol, no.
Even the original Half Life (1997!!!) tells a story without removing control from the player constantly (a.k.a. unskippable ingame cutscenes).
And as I said before I'm really liking this game now...but the first 2-3 hours were bad.

Lol, no.
Even the original Half Life (1997!!!) tells a story without removing control from the player constantly (a.k.a. unskippable ingame cutscenes).
And as I said before I'm really liking this game now...but the first 2-3 hours were bad.

I think the first hour or 2 definitely require some patience but then it really gets better. I could not stop playing the game for a good couple of hours. It's my first time with Metro 2033 so I had no idea I was getting into.

JJD

2. See answer #1

Do you really expect anyone to take you seriously talking like that? Be careful with troll statements like the first one or you won't last here.

Fbh

Damn 2033 keeps getting better and better.

BTW, how do you wipe your mask on Ps4? It's one of the few things I still haven't figured out (I just went ahead and started in ranger mode)

Loving the game

Just wish they fixed the stealth, if i'm not forced into a firearm fight it's just too easy to clear the area with the knife, AI is just not good on that

Stealth that is a bit more challenging would be nice I guess.
But I preffer the current stealth over being forced into firefights.

RoKKeR

I ran out of filters at D6. Fuck, what do I do know? Dont tell me I have to restart from Polis or something.

They are around. Look for orange little boxes about eye height on walls, or lockers in the various rooms. I was short on supply but I always found them in a pinch, even if I had to run for a bit without a mask on.

The Chef

Damn 2033 keeps getting better and better.

BTW, how do you wipe your mask on Ps4? It's one of the few things I still haven't figured out (I just went ahead and started in ranger mode)

Stealth that is a bit more challenging would be nice I guess.
But I preffer the current stealth over being forced into firefights.

Dude I totally agree, and I did the same thing by starting in Ranger Mode. LOVING this game. The steal AI isn't the greatest but I totally love it.

I was in the same boat trying to figure out buttons with Ranger and here are the things that I wish I knew sooner:

L1 - Wipe mask
Hold R1 and hit up on the d-pad. He will hold up his gun to look at ammo and you can see your watch better.
Hit the touch pad and then press R2 to hold up your journal. Hit L1 to light your lighter to see your journal.
Hold Triangle and hit your directional buttons to select different throwing items. Up is knife.

Apparently there is a way to switch ammo?? I have NO idea how to do that.

I ran out of filters at D6. Fuck, what do I do know? Dont tell me I have to restart from Polis or something.

Same thing happened to me and I was in a panic attack. Running as fast as I could to save my life until I just managed to find a filter and swap it out. Havent been that anxious about running out of oxygen since Sonic.
Game rocks.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Switch ammo by holding the reload button. You can tell if you're using standard rounds or MGRs by their appearance (MGRs are distinctly golden).

The first time I played 2033, I poorly managed my filters, and spent most of the last few levels running, briefly wearing my mask, etc.

Nizz

I hope they patch in some extra sensitivity options. After playing some more, I'm having a hard time getting used to it, it feels way too sluggish. The fact that the vertical sensitivity doesn't match the horizontal sensitivity doesn't help, either
This is one of the things I'm having issues with. The controls feel so sluggish, even at max sensitivity. Both general and ADS sensitivities are maxed. The game (2033) is just not connecting with me too. I really like the atmosphere and the graphics and framerate are top notch. But it's just not gelling with me. :/

All shooters should have both of these options. I always wished I could turn down the ADS sensitivity in BF4, but keep the movement sensitivity high.
Lucky for you BF4 offers this option since one of their most recent patches. It's in the options menu at the bottom.

Top Bottom