• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

Just finished playing through 2033 Redux. I enjoyed it so much more this time around compared to original 2033. The improved gunplay, visuals, and performance of the redux basically solved most of the issues I had with the original game. Yeah, the AI of the nosalises and a lot of the encounters with them are still is a bit rough. They just run straight at you and there are always too many of them, but that never was that much of a problem. In the original those encounters were almost unplayable with the slow, kinda clunky gunplay and the framerate going to shit for me.

I was also reminded how much more intense 2033 is, there is a lot more sorta horror stuff. I think as a whole I still like Last Light more, but 2033 is a wonderful game. The Libary section is probably the highlight of the whole game. I kinda missed the "stare them down" info my first time through and it sucked. The LL stealth is also very welcome, it made the stealth way easier and satisfying.

Anyways, the 2033 Redux is superb from top to bottom. 4A continues to be awesome and I will continue to support them always and forever. It's really exciting to think what their next games will be like. I know they have another "different" Metro game in the works, which is super exciting and some sort of space thing, which I can't even imagine how awesome that'll be.

RoKKeR

Anyways, the 2033 Redux is superb from top to bottom. 4A continues to be awesome and I will continue to support them always and forever. It's really exciting to think what their next games will be like. I know they have another "different" Metro game in the works, which is super exciting and some sort of space thing, which I can't even imagine how awesome that'll be.

Yep, seeing how well they did with Redux is making me really pumped to see what they come up with next.

Enjoying this a lot more than I originally did for 2033, and it actually runs good this time which is nice. I have to echo some of the complaints about just the general sluggishness of it though, not so much in active gameplay but the amount of scripted scenes that take control from you. For example one chapter if you want to replay has over 2 minutes of scripted scene before they give you control, there is just too much of this in the game. Still I am enjoying it.

Here is some of my gameplay with the Razer Hydra if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knlnail7H6k

d00d3n

For those of you who are not able to start the game (loading msiexec window, then nothing), try this:

quote from Steam forums:
Okay, I got the game running after this same problem, and here is what I did:

Open the Metro 2033 Redux game folder (from the Steam subfolders).
In there, open folder _CommonRedist (that is how it was named for me).
Now open folder vcredist and the folder inside that (for me it was named 2012).
You should see now two exe files.

I opened vcredist_x64.exe, and it prompted me for admin privileges, which I gave ok to.
The install was ok. After that tried to run the game again, and it worked perfecly.

Omfg, this actually worked. And the sick thing is that I tried installing both vcredist versions before, but not from the folder in the app (_CommonRedist/2012). If you excluded the vcredist fix because you tried it on your own, please try running the x64 exe from the in app folder. I tried a ridiculous amount of fixes, and this is the one that worked for me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm a fair ways into Redux,
where you find and carry Sasha
, and being honest to myself I must admit that no amount of fanciful porting can make me like Metro 2033. It'll forever allude me: I like survival horror, I like the atmosphere, and I like the setting. But it's like almost everything about this game is designed in a way that shits me, and the parts that I really love are too few and far between.

Will finish if just to see if they fixed the amoeba.

d00d3n

Need some advice on game modes for 2033 redux:

I was a big fan of Last Light, but not so much of 2033. Played LL almost completely using stealth and choking takedowns, even got the good ending.

So, what game mode should I pick at the beginning of 2033 redux to be able to use stealth without ridiculous randomness and basically get the last light experience? Spartan seems like the appropriate choice (?), but what about the second option: normal, hardcore, ranger, ranger hardcore? Will spartan/normal be too easy? Will spartan/hardcore break the ability to do stealth efficiently?

This Outpost level in 2033 is kicking my ass. Any tips? If it's not running out of bullets, it's my mask breaking, or running out of filters.

THe nazi outpost on the surface? Yeah that level really fucked me up too. I played 2033 a ton of times and i know how to stealth every level in it but they made soem changes to that map that make it pretty hard to sneak through. I kept getting to the ground floor exit and any time id press E to open the door id get shot to death automatically while in the door opening animation. And they really increased the amount of enemies outside the outpost too as you head to black station. An awful lot harder than in OG 2033.

I like the change they made to the start of the library level too. Im absolutely loving this all over again

Dr Dogg

Well just finished 2033, which is surprising as after serval failed attempts to clock the original I never really got over the first half. Combat, weapon handling and enemy movement felt better than the original for sure but something still feels off a little to me (plus it didn't help that there some collision detection issues when on stairs or such like). Visually I'm still in two minds about the additions and omissions but from a performance point of view three iterations of the 4A Engine have really got some efficiency going.

Going to start up Last Light proper later on and will post a more thorough summary of my time with both when I've finished that.

So going through 2033 Redux I noticed at multiple location that there was the 7.92 or 12.7 mm ammo in a couple ammo boxes. Did I miss one of the rifles or the minigun pick up at some point? That would be awesome if it was hidden somewhere and I missed it.

I took a screenshot while turning the camera, to try and capture the screen-tearing I was talking about, but when I viewed the screenshots in my capture gallery, the screen-tearing wasn't evident.

Anyone know why that is?

I'll try again and just spam the hell out of the screenshot button, lol.

Edit: Nope, still not showing in screenshots, but it shows when I record gameplay. Weird.

I took a screenshot while turning the camera, to try and capture the screen-tearing I was talking about, but when I viewed the screenshots in my capture gallery, the screen-tearing wasn't evident.

Anyone know why that is?

I'll try again and just spam the hell out of the screenshot button, lol.

Edit: Nope, still not showing in screenshots, but it shows when I record gameplay. Weird.

LIke I posted eariler, it is not surprising that the game has tearing as it is probably doing the if 16,6 ms then Vsync and tear if not type of Vsync. Which is great.

DiscoDave

Only played a bit of 2033 seem's ok so far but im hoping that the narrative bit that keep's coming up with every section of the game so far isn't there all the way threw, espically when the sections seem quite small so far. As i said though havn't played much at all.

seph1roth

Are you having issues? It seems more or less fine for me. Heres a video with FPS counter so you can see my framerate on a 770 GTX. Lowest it goes is 45, @ 1920x1200, very high, physx on, tesselation very high

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AspUdrnmgjI

I have the same GPU, fps drops to 30-25 without physx.

Same with LL redux, original LL on ultra works fine, mostly 60fps every time but LL Redux drops to 30fps without physx.

I have a curious problem, if i install both Metro redux and original Metro LL, physx indicator says it works on the CPU on all games, for example, if i try Borderlands 2 with Metro redux games installed framerate drops like hell to 10fps or something like that.

If i uninstall both Metro redux with all redist an temp files and then i play Metro LL and Borderlands 2, on both games Physx works on the GPU and obviously without any drops.

I tried a billion things and nothing happens, and here i am waiting for a solution.

I'm liking this (2033) the more I play. The visuals are great, the framerate is great, solid gunplay, great atmosphere, and I like the stealth too. Pretty pleased so far.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I started a new game and noticed they patched a couple of the volumetric lighting sections back into the game, as noted by others earlier in this thread. I hope this means they'll be patching back in more of the original lighting, as some of those comparison pictures are just frustrating to look at.

Other than that, it's been great to return to one of my favorite video games. Frontline is still such a cool level to sneak through.

Sober

Last Light was really good. I definitely saw the comparisons to HL2 there. Well, except for the parts where people were saying Anna = Alyx because she really wasn't present for much of the game anyway. I guess you had other companions (which feels like a hallmark for the Metro games instead) which were just as good though.

I have the same GPU, fps drops to 30-25 without physx.

Same with LL redux, original LL on ultra works fine, mostly 60fps every time but LL Redux drops to 30fps without physx.

I have a curious problem, if i install both Metro redux and original Metro LL, physx indicator says it works on the CPU on all games, for example, if i try Borderlands 2 with Metro redux games installed framerate drops like hell to 10fps or something like that.

If i uninstall both Metro redux with all redist an temp files and then i play Metro LL and Borderlands 2, on both games Physx works on the GPU and obviously without any drops.

I tried a billion things and nothing happens, and here i am waiting for a solution.

Have you tried installing an older version of physx? I remember 2033 would crash at startup for me unless i installed the version of physx that was bundled with the games install directory

Just ran some tests to see if GPU physX with a dedicated GPU was working.

Nope.

0% GPU load on the GPU that is responsible for it during the Benchmark. This is comparison to the Metro LL benchmark where the same GPU goes up to 20% utilization.

Furthermore, using the default SLI bits I get 1 get on average 1 fps better with Tri-SLI in comparison to 2 way SLI.

SIGH.

KiteGr

I'm thinking of getting this, but I have a couple of questions!

I'm planning on playing the game on it's original language, but I don't know Russian and in the GT review it was mentioned that in Metro 2033, there where subtitles only on the major story dialogue.
Has this been fixed?

Also, have they improved the enemy AI of 2033?

I think that the Cave level in Metro 2033 is my favourite. It's a perfect blend of atmosphere and action, and reminds me a lot of Aliens.

It's also one of the few games i have played where i felt less comfortable when playing a solo mission. It's amazing how much more secure you feel when travelling with Kahn or the Rangers.

valkyre

This game, while great in many ways , has some design issues that i absolutely hate.

The gas mask for one is just immensly irritating...and if you are out of filters, well you are fucked. If you opt to just try and make it without reloading the chapter then have fun dying countless times until you learn the entire stage by heart... What kind of bullshit is this? Filters are almost non existent, and for some parts you are left with no store to purchase filters. Say what? You are a completionist and want to explore environments? Well too bad , Metro 2033 says fuck you...

How horribly designed is this? How hard was it for someone to just put 2-3 places in the stage were you can refill 5-10 mins of air? Or a filter station? Something?!!

I practically had to learn the entire black station level by heart always running so that i wont suffocate....

There is one thing to be immersed and another to be ridiculously annoyed by a design choice...

The Chef

This game, while great in many ways , has some design issues that i absolutely hate.

The gas mask for one is just immensly irritating...and if you are out of filters, well you are fucked. If you opt to just try and make it without reloading the chapter then have fun dying countless times until you learn the entire stage by heart... What kind of bullshit is this? Filters are almost non existent, and for some parts you are left with no store to purchase filters. Say what? You are a completionist and want to explore environments? Well too bad , Metro 2033 says fuck you...

How horribly designed is this? How hard was it for someone to just put 2-3 places in the stage were you can refill 5-10 mins of air? Or a filter station? Something?!!

I practically had to learn the entire black station level by heart always running so that i wont suffocate....

There is one thing to be immersed and another to be ridiculously annoyed by a design choice...

Disagree with you completely.
I am playing on Ranger Hardcore and have had a couple scares with lack of filters but if anything I have found it to be incredibly enjoyable and real.

The first time you step foot outside I was walking around that building forever, examining ever little crevice for goodies. Plus, that whole area was very confusing to find my way around which was something else I really enjoyed. It doesn't feel linear. But the exciting part for me was just knowing I had to be conscious of my oxygen. It wasn't until later that I see my watch and realize that "oh crap...I have no oxygen" that I started hauling ass. As I started choking I stumbled on a corpse, ripped his off and screwed it onto my mask. I LOVE that!

The last scare I had was again outdoors and there is a large spotlight pointed my direction and a TON of soldiers between me and my goal. Glancing at my watch I knew I only had less than 3 minutes of air. I must have gone about this 10 different ways. Trying to stealth my way into there and hopefully get a mask. Running in there with grenades and guns blazing to no success. Finally I pumped up my air gun, aimed and shot the spotlight out and then quickly made my way around the outskirts from cover to cover till I was nearly at the end. Ripped my mask off when I finally was out and ran the last distance and made it inside without being shot at. For me that was incredibly fun and satisfying and even on Ranger I find that there are ALWAYS masks to be found.

Has anyone tried Survival in Ranger Hardcore?

I finished Metro 2033 with it and I'm halfway into Last Light with those settings. Seems really easy as long as you are careful, I remember having a lot less ammo in the original 2033 Ranger Hardcore mode. Last Light's ranger hardcore mode was always easy, and I have a bit less ammo so far but still haven't run into any issues.

LTWheels

Finding 2033 tough on survival hardcore. You die so quickly to melee attacks. Having difficulty dealing with them, especially with your slow mobility.

THe nazi outpost on the surface? Yeah that level really fucked me up too. I played 2033 a ton of times and i know how to stealth every level in it but they made soem changes to that map that make it pretty hard to sneak through. I kept getting to the ground floor exit and any time id press E to open the door id get shot to death automatically while in the door opening animation. And they really increased the amount of enemies outside the outpost too as you head to black station. An awful lot harder than in OG 2033.

I like the change they made to the start of the library level too. Im absolutely loving this all over again

Well I passed it. It was just a matter of finding an extra filter before heading outside. Loving this game.

Anyone with AMD and latest catalyst 14.8 experiencing some issues? I just updated to 14.8 and now my game has flickering texture in some places, which never happened before. Also when I equip the 6 shotguns, the shadow on the gun will be glitched when running or walking, really annoying, no other guns has the same issue.

Cudder

FUCK, I just beat 2033 for a second time on Spartan, but this time I didn't get the opportunity to get the Enlightened trophy at the end, and I have no idea why. I was pretty sure I got a lot more morale points than I did in my prior playthrough, which DID give me the opportunity to get it. Is there anyway I can reload a chapter from somewhere to increase my chance of getting it?

Adjusting the FOV for Last Light really does mess with some of the animations, especially blinking in the cutscenes. Some shadows get messed up as well, becoming disconnected. Suppose it's still worth the extra screen space though.

Rivitur

Banned
I'm thinking of getting this, but I have a couple of questions!

I'm planning on playing the game on it's original language, but I don't know Russian and in the GT review it was mentioned that in Metro 2033, there where subtitles only on the major story dialogue.
Has this been fixed?

Also, have they improved the enemy AI of 2033?

Currently playing it in Russian with English sub's and haven't had a problem and the ai is improved to be more like Last lights. There are moments where they act weird but the majority of the time they are great.

Nizz

Ok,the game is clicking with me now. It must have just been the first couple of hours of 2033 but I'm into it. But my opinion on the sensitivity still stands, the game still feels sluggish.

If they were to patch in updated sensitivity where you turn/aim faster I can see some replays of this game in my future. 😊

KingJolly

Banned
After playing Last Light on PS3 and absolutely falling in love with the series, I just had to pick Redux up so I could play 2033 and Last Light again in all glory 60fps and 1080p. Man it feels great having the game feel so smooth and it looks terrific.

seph1roth

Have you tried installing an older version of physx? I remember 2033 would crash at startup for me unless i installed the version of physx that was bundled with the games install directory

Yup, same issues...

4 example, in the menu screen, game runs at 50fps, at the beginning of the game, when Artyom is climbing up the stairs, 40fps.

Is not a big drop but you can get the idea (VHQ and without physx)

Top Bottom