• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

The Librarians--DEAR GOD.

I can't. I just can't. This is where I quit the game.

Im so glad they fixed the librarians! staring them down actually works now and seems far less random than before

also wish id gotten a non-steam screenshot of this section but it was so awesome imma post it anyways

286690_screenshots_20jejuy.jpg

As someone who is a huge pussy when it comes to horror (in any medium), I almost shat my pants last night when I did the section in 2033 where you have to plant the explosives. A big part of it was the noises the monsters made...great atmosphere, but damn I was scared playing that section in the dark with my headphones on.

And HOLY JESUS, wtf is that thing?! ^^^^

I'm gonna carry on playing, but part of me is thinking:

Ive_Made_a_Huge_Mistake.jpg

Digital Foundry seems to have finally done an analysis of the Metro Redux:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-metro-redux-face-off

Might need a new thread if there isn't one yet.
DF needs to learn where and how to look for different graphical techniques.

Saying the specular element of PBR has been applied means practically nothing.

Fresnel? Local Reflections? IBL? What does he mean?!

The PC SKU has Screen Space Reflections... which is probably 100% what he is referring to. Similarly... it appears to use a different skin shader and AO in comparison to the console versions.

Not pointing out where and how the Tesselation is actually used is quite silly.

Tesselation is used in three areas of the game from my experience.

1. Player FP model for hands and arms.
2. Character and monster models... with displacement maps and sillouhette rounding.
3. Environmental tesselation... nearly everywhere.

All of which is missing from the console versions and is much better done than the original 2033.

Also his statement about muzzle flash shadows is incorrect. For example, the Rail GUn has them as well as the flame thrower.

Lastly, he does not point out the new particle lighting, the lack of volumetric lights in scenes where they would have little to no performance impact (it is as if they were forgotten), and how the DOF in the game (while better) is missing from the view model.
------------------------------------------------------------

I hate to say this again, but Leadbetter may be good at pointing out framerate differences on the graphs... but the actual articles and the technical information in them is extremely lacking. Many GAFers could do a much better job.

Foxyone

DF needs to learn where and how to look for different graphical techniques.

Saying the specular element of PBR has been applied means practically nothing.

Fresnel? Local Reflections? IBL? What does he mean.

The PC SKU has Screen Space Reflections... which is 100% what he is referring to. Similarly... it appears to use a different skin shader and AO.

Not pointing out where and how the Tesselation is actually used is quite silly.

Tesselation is used in three areas of the game from my experience.

1. Player FP model for hands and arms.
2. Character and monster models... with displacement maps and sillouhette rounding.
3. Environmental tesselation... nearly everywhere.

------------------------------------------------------------

I hate to say this again, but Leadbetter may be good at pointing out framerate differences on the graphs... but the actual articles and the technical information in them is extremely lacking. Many GAFers could do a much better job.

I would have liked if it had at least touched on the subject of what comparable PC settings might be. There's just a list so far of things that are different

Console versions have:

- No tessellation
- No motion blur
-Lower "specular effects"
- Lower-level shadows
- (and I'd guess from my comparison pics earlier) Lower ambient occlusion

cause steam screenshots are compressed and overall worse quality than using 3rd party software like fraps etc

You can have steam save an uncompressed PNG btw. It is in the settings for screenshots.

I would have liked if it had at least touched on the subject of what comparable PC settings might be. There's just a list so far of things that are different

Console versions have:

- No tessellation
- No motion blur
- Lower-level shadows

Yes, seriously. I really wish the would "review" how they do their tech reviews.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Console versions have:

- No tessellation
- No motion blur
- Lower-level shadows
I'm not sure the consoles versions are comparable to the PC presets available. It seems like they've using a mix of settings.

The PC enhancements are quite nice indeed but I still dislike the way 4A uses tessellation in their games (on character models). The models simply look bloated as opposed to more detailed.

MaLDo

[...] Leadbetter may be good at pointing out framerate differences on the graphs... but the actual articles and the technical information in them is extremely lacking. [...]

They have the equipment but not the knowledge. It is quite evident in every comparison.

I'm not sure the consoles versions are comparable to the PC presets available. It seems like they've using a mix of settings.

The PC enhancements are quite nice indeed but I still dislike the way 4A uses tessellation in their games (on character models). The models simply look bloated as opposed to more detailed.

For the characters that do not use displacement maps, this is a side effect of "Phong Tessellation."

The monsters, for example use displacement maps and do not have this problem.

They have the equipment but not the knowledge. It is quite evident in every comparison.

Yep.

Hey btw, I tried using a dedicated PhysX card in Redux and it does not seem to be utilized at all. This is in comparison to LL or the original where it does work. Thought that was odd. (are all physX calculations on the CPU now or something?)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Do you have any tips on good reading?

For the characters that do not use displacement maps, this is a side effect of "Phong Tessellation."

The monsters, for example use displacement maps and do not have this problem.
Yes, you're right. The monsters do look pretty good. You spend a LOT of time following NPCs in the game, though, so human models are always in your face (a complaint I have with both these games, really, as you spend way too much time following people).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Does anyone else hate how the nosalieses(can't spell that name lol) just run up to you and spam attack over and over? Their attack patterns are so rough, when they are continuously rushing you its just really frustrating getting ganged up on real fast with the same attack pattern

thumb

Banned
I feel like an idiot, but I can't figure out how to change my ammo type. I'm playing in Ranger mode, so no HUD. Figured out I needed to push the touchpad to change secondary item, but primary ammo is still a mystery.

thumb

Banned
Does anyone else hate how the nosalieses(can't spell that name lol) just run up to you and spam attack over and over? Their attack patterns are so rough, when they are continuously rushing you its just really frustrating getting ganged up on real fast with the same attack pattern

Easily the worst enemy. You can't stealth them, and their appearances are often heavily scripted, meaning available tactics are limited. I'm currently stuck in an area where you are trapped and they just spawn and spawn. Hooray.

Foxyone

I'd chalk up the softness of the PS4 image in that comparison to the compressed jpeg. I'll give you the ambient occlusion, though.

How much compression can a jpeg have? I'm guessing it must be quite a bit if a 900p png can look sharper than a 1080p jpeg?

Wizardry

Banned
I'm gonna wait for a patch or two before I dig into this on PC. Plus we need those 343 drivers from Nvidia pretty badly at this point.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Can somebody explain how in the actual fuck you were able to get through the Tower DLC in Last Light Redux on PS4/X1?

I made it through the first 3 challenges with extreme difficulty, but the fourth one is absolutely slaughtering me on normal difficulty. Enemies are bullet sponges and overwhelm you to the point of intense frustration. I have no idea if I've even made it past the first wave.

Please tell me if there is an easier way to get through this. I only want to hear from people who did it on the PS4/X1 version since PC gamers have significant advantages that make this challenge much easier.

Ekklessia

Neo Member
I feel like an idiot, but I can't figure out how to change my ammo type. I'm playing in Ranger mode, so no HUD. Figured out I needed to push the touchpad to change secondary item, but primary ammo is still a mystery.

You just hold down the reload button. I think only machine guns can use them.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Can somebody explain how in the actual fuck you were able to get through the Tower DLC in Last Light Redux on PS4/X1?

I made it through the first 3 challenges with extreme difficulty, but the fourth one is absolutely slaughtering me on normal difficulty. Enemies are bullet sponges and overwhelm you to the point of intense frustration. I have no idea if I've even made it past the first wave.

Please tell me if there is an easier way to get through this. I only want to hear from people who did it on the PS4/X1 version since PC gamers have significant advantages that make this challenge much easier.

Anyone?

Sorry, but this challenge has me so angry and frustrated. Its game modes like this that seriously make me question the sanity of the developers.

Dysun

Finished 2033 earlier.

I can't say I found it all that compelling. Too many chapters consist of following someone else to their death in a linear tunnel, or on rails (literally ahhh).
The sections where the game opens up and you head up to the surface are much more enjoyable. Although the gas mask air filter mechanic feels pretty lousy and tedious (Press LB + A every 2 minutes!). AI and enemy encounter design for the nosalis is just bad. Throw wave after wave of enemies at you who can be easily kited. Fighting soldiers was fine, unless I tried a stealth approach which I felt just didn't work right. Enemies see you from anywhere if they are scripted to do so, or you can literally crouch next to one and remain undetected. No consistency.
I must have heard 'Artyom' 100 times in 8 hours

I'll probably do something else before I jump into Last Light

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I get the feeling it is not designed arond a gamepad. Hence the difficulty.
Well they need to fix that because as is the only you have any chance is if you can knock them out with head shots as they exit the portal. If you miss then they start pouring out and then open the spawn points which causes you to get flanked.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I have to say, the timed gas mask mechanic is one of the worst design elements ever.

Establishing some arbitrary hard gate that requires you to start an entire chapter over if you mess up, or worse, the game messes you up.

Finite timed resource, wtf seriously. I was in the first plane section in Last Light, and I was stuck behind the partner guy who was walking super slow. By the time we were finally able to get out of the plane, I ran out of oxygen. I was checkpointed with like 10 seconds of oxygen left.

Ugh. Hate it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have to say, the timed gas mask mechanic is one of the worst design elements ever.

Establishing some arbitrary hard gate that requires you to start an entire chapter over if you mess up, or worse, the game messes you up.

Finite timed resource, wtf seriously. I was in the first plane section in Last Light, and I was stuck behind the partner guy who was walking super slow. By the time we were finally able to get out of the plane, I ran out of oxygen. I was checkpointed with like 10 seconds of oxygen left.

Ugh. Hate it.

You should never come remotely close to running out of Oxygen in Last Light. How is that even possible? In every playthrough I did I always had well over 20 minutes by the end of the game.

KingJolly

Banned

I love it it adds a sense of urgency, which goes hand in hand with the desperate, depressive atmosphere and just makes the game more immersive. After all you're in a post apocalyptic nuclear waste world filled with mutants. Not exactly a place to stroll around like you own the place.

A bit like how Lost Planet 1 you had to move it less you wanted to freeze to death. I really love these survival type games, hope to see more of them.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's almost impossible not to make mistakes/omissions when doing these things. I actually remember you making mistakes as well, in some of the proclamations you made. These things almost need a body of peer reviewers where people correct each other as each knows or notices a different thing. But it'd probably take way too much time to do that for a timely article.

Okay, SO. I finally beat 2033 (pretty good) and I'm starting Last Light now (really looking forward to it). Based on the English voice acting in 2033 I really want to play this in native Russian. I just started and already I prefer it, even if following subtitles is a little more difficult in a game, but I've just run into my main hesitation for playing in another language: unsubtitled side dialogue. Just like in 2033 (although you had to play that in English) a lot of character's that are having side conversations don't have subtitles. Apart from missing interesting world building dialogue, I'm worried that I'll miss some conversations that would earn me stupid moral points because I couldn't understand them and didn't bother sticking around to listen.

Anyone have any recommendations in regards to this? Is it worth it?

RoKKeR

Okay, SO. I finally beat 2033 (pretty good) and I'm starting Last Light now (really looking forward to it). Based on the English voice acting in 2033 I really want to play this in native Russian. I just started and already I prefer it, even if following subtitles is a little more difficult in a game, but I've just run into my main hesitation for playing in another language: unsubtitled side dialogue. Just like in 2033 (although you had to play that in English) a lot of character's that are having side conversations don't have subtitles. Apart from missing interesting world building dialogue, I'm worried that I'll miss some conversations that would earn me stupid moral points because I couldn't understand them and didn't bother sticking around to listen.

Anyone have any recommendations in regards to this? Is it worth it?

I have only played the Metro games in Russian and have no plans on turning back in order to get inconsequential side dialogue. It's almost more enjoyable for me to fill in what I think they might be saying at bar then having it subtitled.

If it's important, they'll subtitle it. If not, use your imagination. Playing in Russian is amazing.

I have only played the Metro games in Russian and have no plans on turning back in order to get inconsequential side dialogue. It's almost more enjoyable for me to fill in what I think they might be saying at bar then having it subtitled.

If it's important, they'll subtitle it. If not, use your imagination. Playing in Russian is amazing.

You're right. I'm really curious what this four minute conversation between these soldiers in Last Light is about but all I know is it's much more immersive than how I played 2033.

I still wish the subtitling were more thorough though.

Fbh

Just finished 2033.
Survivial mode hardcore Ranger.

Awesome game. Loved the atmosphere and gameplay. I'm not a big fan of horror games but I really liked how this one manages to create tense moment without the need of cheap jump scares (specially in survivial/ranger were you die fast and can't waste bullets).
I've seen some people complain about the air filter mechanic but I never had any issues with it. If you do a bit of exploration you can allways find some filters above ground, specially in safe boxes (but also dead bodies).

My only 2 complaints would be that:
- It had an above average number of bugs: Some enemies had like a kind of "lag" and it took them a few seconds to react to being shot, I saw a few enemies go through walls and at one point I magically got a HUD (which I shouldn't in ranger), my second weapon disappeared and subtitless didn't show but I could fix the problem by restarting the chapter.

- Subtitles: I wanted to play this in russian but it's a shame they only had subtitles for the main dialogs. It sucks not being able to understand the side dialogs and as someone who read the first book I actually really enjoyed hearing random people hinting at events and situations from the book.

I'm going to start Last Light tomorrow. From what I've seen the majority of people on Gaff seem to agree that it's better, so I can't wait.
I'm thinking about playing it in spartan mode, as I understad that's the "original" way (like survivial was the original of 2033).

PS: Also, from some videos I've seen It looks like playing it with different difficulty settings really adds a lot of replay value. For me this was more of a survival/stealh experience but it looks like you can also play it as a more traditional shooter

KingJolly

Banned
You're right. I'm really curious what this four minute conversation between these soldiers in Last Light is about but all I know is it's much more immersive than how I played 2033.

I still wish the subtitling were more thorough though.

Go for whats best for you. But me personally I can't sacrifice the world building just for a tad bit more realisticness. Many things the citizens say are very interesting or funny or heart wrenching and really adds more to the oppresive atmosphere.

Playing 2033 on ranger right now, no crosshair takes some getting used to.
It's pretty tense and no hud at all does add to the immersion.

BONKERS

Sometimes I wonder...

""We're curious to see how the removal of temporal artefacting/shimmer impacts differences in resolution.""
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-metro-redux-face-off#comment-4832596

Here's one for you
https://mega.co.nz/#!7dxwjABA!BLTApxmLyD9Z1KPyvFbylEujhsRNjrPBZy97KI7TOrU

1280x720 with 8xSGSSAA, let your video player upscale it to 1080p if you watch on a 1080p TV/monitor (You'll have to mind the black crush, when making the video, was a color space issue. Made this video over a year ago, my bad)

Welfare

First time playing this series, and I beat 2033 Redux yesterday, and I have to say, I am loving this.

Not going into Last Light till I get the remaining achievements in 2033, so I have to ask, is it better than 2033 in any aspect? Want to know what I can expect going in.

Hollow

How much compression can a jpeg have? I'm guessing it must be quite a bit if a 900p png can look sharper than a 1080p jpeg?

The raw captures on the PS4 are between 300-600KB for a 1080p jpg and that's without upload compression.

Anything short of a 1MB jpg for a 1080p image is pretty compressed.

I'm hoping Sony can allow PNG captures in the future otherwise I'm gonna need to get a capture card to get around the compression.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Pretty far in Last Light now. This game is absolutely great. 2033 was a good game with some issues but LL is excellent and well polished.

Top Bottom