• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

BTW, PC users, maldo etc... I figured out the GPU PhysX was indeed not working in the game. THe advanced PhysX option would delegate those PhsX to the CPU (the extra debris, etc...). It is pretty easy to test this right now just by unloading a magazine at the wall with GPU physX enabled and multi-card. One card, if GPU physX is on, should show higher utilization the more you shoot the wall. Currently the original and LL do this, but redux does not.

Changing the physX packages in the game to a more recent group (from the game daylight), I was able to enable the GPU physX and have the indicator show in game.

Problem with this? On my rig, in Tri-SLI this causes pretty big stutter as soon as the physX objects come on the field. Changing the PhysX usage in NVCP to CPU... fixes this completely. The FX also look the EXACT SAME.
Strange... huh?

I'm loving Metro 2033 so far, but am really bummed that with the Russian V.O. option, the english subtitles are only provided for main characters and not average npc chatter. It would probably difficult, but I'd really like 4A to patch that in for all dialogue.

Anyone else's metro disk (ps4) sound like it's being eaten by the ps4 on start up sometimes?. Every other disk that goes into the ps4 is fine. Just metro has this issue for some reason.

Also no marks or scratches on the metro disk at all.

Faith

Dat gun model

ihnCQSH31Ek2w.png

Dunno if this is considered a spoiler or not, so click to view!
Is that from 2033?

I just left the metro in 2033. I hope it gets better. It wasn't boring but I liked Last Light more from the beginning.

HiiiLife

A few hours in and I just got past the part where you
use the flamethrower for the first time outside D6. For me the game started picking up right where the whole Reds vs Nazi thing began.
Def enjoying my time now as compared to the beginning of the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wow, the Last Light Dead City chapter was fantastic. I've heard some people say that LL was lacking in atmosphere compared to 2033 but that chapter was exceptional from an atmospheric standpoint.

HiiiLife

Also, my main complaint is the gunplay in 2033. I dunno why but it doesn't feel very responsive and satisfying. Maybe its just the PS4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Also, my main complaint is the gunplay. I dunno why but it doesn't feel very responsive and satisfying. Maybe its just the PS4.

It feels a lot better in Last Light. Enemies in 2033 don't react to shots as well and seem to have a more health. Redux carried over some of the combat improvements but LL still plays better.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Also, my main complaint is the gunplay in 2033. I dunno why but it doesn't feel very responsive and satisfying. Maybe its just the PS4.
Oh no. If anything it feels better. The original 2033 felt absolutely awful to me. Never finished the game in its original form due to this.

HiiiLife

It feels a lot better in Last Light. Enemies in 2033 don't react to shots as well and seem to have a more health.

I'm really eager to try it out. 2033 really picked up a few chapters in. The Library.. *shudders*

BTW thus game really does an awkward job teaching the player what's what. The wristwatch is used to detect if radiation is nearby?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm really eager to try it out. 2033 really picked up a few chapters in. The Library.. *shudders*

BTW thus game really does an awkward job teaching the player what's what. The wristwatch is used to detect if radiation is nearby?

That was my same reaction to 2033. First few chapters were kind of dull but it really picked up about a third of the way through. Last Light has been awesome the whole way through, except for one chapter in a swamp.

HiiiLife

Oh no. If anything it feels better. The original 2033 felt absolutely awful to me. Never finished the game in its original form due to this.

I played it on the 360. Let's just say I don't think I finished the first chapter. Haha. Glad I came back around for the remaster.

That was my same reaction to 2033. First few chapters were kind of dull but it really picked up about a third of the way through. Last Light has been awesome the whole way through, except for one chapter in a swamp.

Can't wait to find out what weapons the developers came up with. When I found out they put a shotgun in made out of bicycle parts I fell in love.

Nizz

Do you think part of the lack of responsiveness is due to the controls/sensitivity? I think I'm close to the library section people have mentioned and while the game (2033) has gotten better and I'm into it the controls still feel sluggish.

I don't know if it still feels that way in LL or is it just in 2033. I won't know until I finish 2033 first.

HiiiLife

Do you think part of the lack of responsiveness is due to the controls/sensitivity? I think I'm close to the library section people have mentioned and while the game (2033) has gotten better and I'm into it the controls still feel sluggish.

I don't know if it still feels that way in LL or is it just in 2033. I won't know until I finish 2033 first.

I don't think so. My sensitivity is all the way up and it still feels sluggish.

misho8723

Banned
Wow, the Last Light Dead City chapter was fantastic. I've heard some people say that LL was lacking in atmosphere compared to 2033 but that chapter was exceptional from an atmospheric standpoint.

Well in LL there are some scary, tension or atmospheric missions just like in 2033 - levels like Torchlight, Echoes, Regina, Sundown, Undercity, Khan or by you mentioned Dead City.. or the DLC missions like Spider Lair, Khan - great stuff - and in my opinion the best mission with the best atmosphere = Kshatriya

Carbonox

It takes until achievement hunting to really get a grasp on how the stealth mechanics work. To be fair my first run through Metro 2033 involved pure shootbang (did Spartan mode). Looking forward to Survival mode where I can actually put the stealth tactics to consistent use. The Front Line mission in particular is so much more satisfying when you go through the entire thing without being seen.

Nizz

I don't think so. My sensitivity is all the way up and it still feels sluggish.
Same here, I have sensitivity maxed in 2033 (both the overall sensitivity and the ADS sensitivity) and it still feels slow. I'm worried it'll be the same deal with Last Light.

If they could somehow patch in a new range of sensitivity more in line with something like say, Battlefield 4, I would be super happy. This is on PS4 just in case anyone's wondering.

MaLDo

BTW, PC users, maldo etc... I figured out the GPU PhysX was indeed not working in the game. THe advanced PhysX option would delegate those PhsX to the CPU (the extra debris, etc...). It is pretty easy to test this right now just by unloading a magazine at the wall with GPU physX enabled and multi-card. One card, if GPU physX is on, should show higher utilization the more you shoot the wall. Currently the original and LL do this, but redux does not.

Changing the physX packages in the game to a more recent group (from the game daylight), I was able to enable the GPU physX and have the indicator show in game.

Problem with this? On my rig, in Tri-SLI this causes pretty big stutter as soon as the physX objects come on the field. Changing the PhysX usage in NVCP to CPU... fixes this completely. The FX also look the EXACT SAME.
Strange... huh?

Yeah, I can't talk details but the patch is ready since last friday. Anyway, I think the performance discrepancies will continue after the patch with the new library (which is basically the same as using the library from another game).

Same here, I have sensitivity maxed in 2033 (both the overall sensitivity and the ADS sensitivity) and it still feels slow. I'm worried it'll be the same deal with Last Light.

If they could somehow patch in a new range of sensitivity more in line with something like say, Battlefield 4, I would be super happy. This is on PS4 just in case anyone's wondering.

even though the sensitivity is a bit low it's fine to me because of the rock solid 60fps. not every game has to be the same.

MaLDo

It's almost impossible not to make mistakes/omissions when doing these things. I actually remember you making mistakes as well, in some of the proclamations you made. These things almost need a body of peer reviewers where people correct each other as each knows or notices a different thing. But it'd probably take way too much time to do that for a timely article.

What do you mean? I am a player who puts opinions in a forum. If I was wrong about something a year ago (do you have a link?), is it justified today that a technical article is short on content? No one paid me to write articles so I can't deal your argument.

Everyone can be wrong about something sometimes. But if you do a technical analysis of three versions of a game, it is logical to dig a bit more in the details. A close-up of the hands / weapons / enemies to talk about tessellation. How the added in every asset tessellation broke a few things. For example, in the Dictator93 shots

If you look at the floor, there are a few assets that have disappeared under the new inflated geometry.

Another example from Dictator93. Rounding the weapon side, that metal part has disappeared but the base texture shows the dark zone the artist put to obscure the contour of the missing piece. The are more examples as the band of cloth a npc is bearing in the head or the jacket fabric on the artyom arm that pass through the watch bracelet.

What about shadows? What are the real differences between the versions? Screenshots about every difference? The lod object? Why not search for a similar config across platforms to compare the performance in a more apples to apples vs. Everything can be analyzed in depth. And even if you put a limit somewhere, the actual article is far away from that because sums it up in one line.

And then there's more apart from the graphic bits. How 4A could prepare a 1.4 GB patch in one day that open the more visible differences between platforms? Was it really a day 1 patch? I think is not. Why someone with actual and public access to developers can't dig a bit more?

I enjoy the swamp area because it is the most "free roam" in LL i think.

Yeah, I can't talk details but the patch is ready since last friday. Anyway, I think the performance discrepancies will continue after the patch with the new library (which is basically the same as using the library from another game).

Good news and bad news at the same time. I am not sure what to think!
Aren't they testing the viability of mGPU configs anywhere? Like Nvidia?

And then there's more apart from the graphic bits. How 4A could prepare a 1.4 GB patch in one day that open the more visible differences between platforms? Was it really a day 1 patch? I think is not. Why someone with actual and public access to developers can't dig a bit more?

Being part of the "press" they have distinct advantages when getting time with the devs. They should use this time well and write well concerning the topics at hand. All the things you point out above are obvious things (shadows, how is tesselation done, what is its performance, what does PGU physX look like, comparison shots between lods and obvious breaking points), I would expect them in any Tweak Guides article from 2003. Yet they are missing here.

Imagine an interview with the devs that questioned the nature of that Day 1 patch, or that questioned the way tesselation is implemented sometimes in game, or asked more specifically about their AI routines.

While it is nice to hear the usual questions about ESRAM, PS4 GPGPU, whatever... these things are obvious now and just feed boring console wars. These interviews should be awesome times to hear about cool engine designs...

EDIT: LOL double post

I just started getting stuck into Last Light again since last gen and boy, for all the praise certain FP animations get - they're superb, don't get me wrong - there's some seriously vomit-in-the-mouth stuff going on as well.

The biggest offender by far is how the hands/gun return to their neutral position when you halt your movement without any easing transition animation. They just snap back as if a whole bunch of frames have been skipped. It looks abysmal. Additionally, some of the ADS animations are just super janky. The way the revolver snaps to is very messy.

I dunno. I really don't remember it being this obvious, but this is stuff that really sticks in my craw. It's not just a one-off sketchy NPC animation; this is with you every second. I can't recall an FPS in the last 5 years that simultaneously excelled and failed at FP animation so blatantly.

I just started getting stuck into Last Light again since last gen and boy, for all the praise certain FP animations get - they're superb, don't get me wrong - there's some seriously vomit-in-the-mouth stuff going on as well.

The biggest offender by far is how the hands/gun return to their neutral position when you halt your movement without any easing transition animation. They just snap back as if a whole bunch of frames have been skipped. It looks abysmal. Additionally, some of the ADS animations are just super janky. The way the revolver snaps to is very messy.

I dunno. I really don't remember it being this obvious, but this is stuff that really sticks in my craw. It's not just a one-off sketchy NPC animation; this is with you every second. I can't recall an FPS in the last 5 years that simultaneously excelled and failed at FP animation so blatantly.

I think that jank you are seeing there is due to the spartan mode survior mode differences. In survivor the animations are much more purposeful and slow... can you show what you mean by the FP weapon stopping from moving?

I think that jank you are seeing there is due to the spartan mode survior mode differences. In survivor the animations are much more purposeful and slow... can you show what you mean by the FP weapon stopping from moving?

Oh, wow. That's a thing? I guess I'm starting over on Spartan. Kind of poor that they've implemented that in such a way, but I guess I take back some of the vitriol.

Not really sure how I'd show you, mang; and I'd have to have another look to verify, but basically, the position of the weapon/hands when you're stationary... Once you start moving and the hands/weapon bob accordingly, it returns to the static stationary position without a natural cessation in the bobbing once you stop moving again. It just snaps back in a single, jarring frame.

misho8723

Banned
Fuck.. the mission Trolley Combat is way more difficult than in the original 2033.. last week when I played the original, i didn't die once on Ranger difficulty, but now in Redux, I did already like 30x times

Omni

Just bought this game on Xbone. The first game is at 60% downloaded so I'm gonna start playing

Is it better to choose Survival or Spartan? I've never played these before

Just bought this game on Xbone. The first game is at 60% downloaded so I'm gonna start playing

Spartan is more run-and-gun style with more ammo and Survival focuses on ammo scarcity and resource management. I know my personal style of play is more run-and-gun focused, so I played my first time through on Spartan.

Joeki11a

Banned
I impulse bought this and kinda regret it...

Starter with 2033 and I am at chapter 6 maybe and it has been a boring linear affair.
I wish It was more outside those parts were interesting, story isnt all that either just the atmosphere is cool.

Previewed Last Light for 3 hours and looks to be more of the same, I will probably sell this next week for Destiny.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, I just hit a bad glitch on PS4. Every time I try to load my save at a checkpoint (Last Light spoiler)
when the flamethrower Red is approaching the rangers at D6
the game crashes as soon as it hits 100% :(

I chose survival on 2033 and I have tons of ammo and resources. I'm playing on hard...or whatever the difficulty mode above normal is called. I thought I would have a lot less ammo than what I have.

Beat 2033 yesterday evening on my PS4. Went into this redux pretty much blind, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed the game besides the last few minutes. Looking forward to trying out Last Light when I have the time.

I chose survival on 2033 and I have tons of ammo and resources. I'm playing on hard...or whatever the difficulty mode above normal is called. I thought I would have a lot less ammo than what I have.

Have you made it up to the
librarians
(monster spoiler) yet? They ate up quite a lot of my ammo, even in Spartan mode.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Do the NPCs refer to you as "Spartan" or "Survivor" depending on what difficulty you are playing on?

I could have sworn I chose "Survivor", but this NPC I'm with keeps calling me "Spartan"...

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Umm... what is this? I must've made the game much harder than it needed to be...

Stare directly into their eyes (not too close or not too far) and they will go their own business. But do not turn too fast on them.

Also, I found them much much creepier in the novel :p

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

There is really very little difference between the two at least on normal.

The only noticeable difference was the slower reload times. I sure couldn't tell that ammo was more scarce though.

Top Bottom