• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

I can't believe human beings actually playtested this swamp in Last Light and let it be.

I'm so fucking frustrated right now, I can't put it into words.

Edit: Finally beat it. But I had to do it twice. The first time around was such a goddamn clusterfuck with me out of shotgun shells, medpacks, and air, that I restarted the level and did it over now that I had my bearings.

Kssio_Aug

Am playing 2033 on the Xbox One and till now my thoughts are: What a great game!!

Yeah, I admit Im playing it on a easy setting: Normal - Spartan. But Im having lot of fun with it! The atmosphere is great and I loved the attention to details (the mask cracking with the hits and falls, or the demons catching you while flying and throwing at the ground, etc.)!

Amazing game! I just hope to not fall into any frustrating section.

The Chef

Cant figure out what to do here.
Top of the tower and I set the laser and am now in that Max Payne dream state. I run up to the dark one and start mashing square and I just die every time. What am I supposed to do?

RyudBoy

Top of the tower and I set the laser and am now in that Max Payne dream state. I run up to the dark one and start mashing square and I just die every time. What am I supposed to do?

When you see him, turn around and run.

Don't wanna spoil the rest, unless you get stuck again... :p

The Chef

Just beat 2033. What a great game. So much fun.

Absolutely loved the environments. I actually started to feel cold playing some parts. Really beautiful job. The characters were fun end engaging along with solid voice acting.
Stealth was great. AI was pretty dumb but still was very fun.

Playing on Ranger Hardcore was really not difficult at all. I was usually pretty concerned with ammo and oxygen but really the game is quite plentiful with both.
One thing that annoyed me was that your melee attack was completely useless.

Other than that, great game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anyone else on PS4 having the crash upon loading a save? I'm super close to the end of Last Light and I hope I'm not fucked.

Foxyone

Aside from the benchmarks that came out before the game officially released, did any other sites do any benchmarks of the new game?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Restarted the chapter and got through without a crash this time. Got the good ending for Last Light. Excellent game and one I'll remember for a long time to come. This collection has made me a huge fan of 4A. Can't wait for what they do next.

DLC chapter time!

Fbh

Yeah that one is tricky.
The damn ranger mode had me doubting if I was missing a QTE or doing something wrong

emrober5

Finished 2033 on survivor. Really loved it. I'm not a huge fps fan but the atmosphere really worked for me.

Unfortunately, I'm playing Last Light on Spartan and I'm not enjoying it as much. There is no challenge at all. Never low on ammo, masks or medkits. I wanted to play it the way it was originally released but I think ill enjoy it more on survivor.

First time playing both games. I hope they sell sell. Great game on ps4.

Also, does the game crash occasionally for anyone else? Not a huge deal but it has happened probably five times for me and I've never had any game do it more than once or twice.

Cudder

I played a couple hours of Last Light Redux on PS4, holy shit, this game looks insane. The weather and lighting effects are god tier.

Cubed

I'm still torn on buying this. Is there any real replay value, or will I play both, get the story, and have no desire or need to replay these games?

Cudder

I'm still torn on buying this. Is there any real replay value, or will I play both, get the story, and have no desire or need to replay these games?

Even if you were to play each once through it would still be worth your money. These games are amazing.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
arrrrrrrr I keep accidentally switching to my currency ammo in firefights, not even sure how it's happening, then I restart check point cause i've wasted like 30 gold bullets and then the stuttering starts! Some really annoying glitches.
Edit: yeah I just tested it, hit R normally to fill up the clip with normal ammo and it loaded in my currency ammo. Very frustrating.

arrrrrrrr I keep accidentally switching to my currency ammo in firefights, not even sure how it's happening, then I restart check point cause i've wasted like 30 gold bullets and then the stuttering starts! Some really annoying glitches.
Edit: yeah I just tested it, hit R normally to fill up the clip with normal ammo and it loaded in my currency ammo. Very frustrating.

The trigger to switch to military grade rounds is really sensitive, they probably should have made the timer at least double what it was for holding the reload button. Or on PC give a complete separate button for it.

Just finished the Kshatriya dlc chapter for Last Light and thought it was great. I wish the main games had more areas like that, with some unique areas instead of pieced together ones from the main game. But the 'scavenger hunt' aspect of it was really cool especially having to go back to the main base for supplies. It really felt more supply constrained than both main games felt at any period and I liked that. Reminded me a bit of ZombiU.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Anyone have an issue where you fully charge the arrow gun and then you lose all other inventory functions? As in changing guns, reloading, aiming down the sights, or even firing.

Daigoro

One thing that annoyed me was that your melee attack was completely useless.

Other than that, great game.

useless melee attack? someone didnt watch the video i posted last page. :p

Haha, that's hilarious. I love how your first reaction when it stopped twerking was to stab it's ass XD

yeah i found my actions pretty amusing as well lol. i was up very late playing this game the other night hah.

Playing it through on Survival and Hardcore, but I'm still swamped with supplies and ammo. Does Ranger make supplies and such more scarce?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Survival is supposed to make supplies more scarce, but so far, on ranger hardcore survival, I've had no problem with filters or ammo.

I'm thinking that, since this is my fifth playthrough of 2033, maybe I'm just used to the layout and supply locations. Or there's a few bugs. Or both.

RyudBoy

I, too, played through 2033 on Survival and encountered no issues with filters or ammo supplies.

But then again, I played on normal difficulty. :p
Gonna go back and play on the hardest setting after I finish Last Light.

Survival is supposed to make supplies more scarce, but so far, on ranger hardcore survival, I've had no problem with filters or ammo.

I'm thinking that, since this is my fifth playthrough of 2033, maybe I'm just used to the layout and supply locations. Or there's a few bugs. Or both.

there's your answer right there.

Just started playing Metro 2033 on the hardest settings possible. With no UI and button prompts what am I in for?

BTW this is my first time playing this game. I just want a full on survival experience

I can't believe human beings actually playtested this swamp in Last Light and let it be.

I'm so fucking frustrated right now, I can't put it into words.

Edit: Finally beat it. But I had to do it twice. The first time around was such a goddamn clusterfuck with me out of shotgun shells, medpacks, and air, that I restarted the level and did it over now that I had my bearings.

They still didn't fix that shit in the Redux version? I stopped playing there for a while because the amount of bugs/glitches made me furious. Got stuck in the ground and had to reload like 10 times on the 360 version.

Rivitur

Banned
Just started playing Metro 2033 on the hardest settings possible. With no UI and button prompts what am I in for?

BTW this is my first time playing this game. I just want a full on survival experience
WzkK3Hv.jpg

It will take you a while to get the buttons down but you will get stuck not knowing what to do because the lack of prompts I'm calling it.

Omni

Is there a reason why children in 2033 sound like 40 year old women?

I spent far too long trying to convince myself that they weren't just adult midgets.

Fisty

what game are you playing right now? i'm laughing thinking about all the crazy hard parts in Last Light.

Oh jeez its not that tough, sometimes though youll just need to run towards the exit, skipping lots of stuff.

Tips: Hold L1 to bring up the menu (you cant see it in Ranger Hardcore)

With L1 held, press up to check watch. Left to charge your batteries (with R2 once the charger is out). Right to pump up a pneumatic weapon (again with R2). Down for health pack. Triangle to turn on/off flashlight, Square for Gas Mask on/off, X to swap out filters (check watch to see how close you are to running out, or just listen for suffocation), and Circle to for NVG's on/off (past certain point in the stories. Just pressing L1 instead of holding will wipe the gas mask.

Touchpad brings up clipboard/lighter. With these out, press L2 to raise the lighter or R2 to raise the clip board. With the clipboard up, you can see your supply levels and switch between R1 weapons (grenades, knives)

Anyway, Redux was my first time touching either game and I beat Ranger Hardcore Survival first in 2033 and im just past the swamp in Last Light. Challenging, but fair... and extremely immersive.

Rivitur

Banned
A question about the diffoculty settings:
Normal = Ranger, and Hardcore = Hardcore Ranger, except for the UI?
No, you can choose the difficulty from the main menu (easy, normal, hard) then when you begin the game you choose spartan or survival mode. Then you choose normal (ui,prompts, what not) ranger (no ui but button prompts) then ranger hardcore (no nothing not even button prompts to turn off light/open doors)

Is there a reason why children in 2033 sound like 40 year old women?

I spent far too long trying to convince myself that they weren't just adult midgets.
Play it in russian and problem solved.

English they still haunt my dreams damn radiation makes grown men into children.

Kssio_Aug

No, you can choose the difficulty from the main menu (easy, normal, hard) then when you begin the game you choose spartan or survival mode. Then you choose normal (ui,prompts, what not) ranger (no ui but button prompts) then ranger hardcore (no nothing not even button prompts to turn off light/open doors)

Are you sure?
I cant remember to see a menu with: easy/normal/hard.

What happened to me was, when starting the game 1st I could choose between Spartan / Survival; then I could choose between Normal / Ranger / Hardcore / Ranger Hardcore.

Kind of a PSA for the anal retentive:

There's definitely a noticeable FP animation downgrade in Survivor when compared to Spartan.

It seems as if everything is slowed down to some degree (aiming down sights, reloading, strafing, momentum, etc) and this blanket slowdown fucks with the smoothness of animations something shocking.

I'm an animation sort of guy, so I find this insufferably bad, but others may not be so affected. Spartan looks a whole lot more polished, if I recall correctly.

Kind of a PSA for the anal retentive:

There's definitely a noticeable FP animation downgrade in Survivor when compared to Spartan.

It seems as if everything is slowed down to some degree (aiming down sights, reloading, strafing, momentum, etc) and this blanket slowdown fucks with the smoothness of animations something shocking.

I'm an animation sort of guy, so I find this insufferably bad, but others may not be so affected. Spartan looks a whole lot more polished, if I recall correctly.
If you are on a deice which can record it, I would definitely help making a webm comparison.

If you are on a deice which can record it, I would definitely help making a webm comparison.

Dude, I think I'd rather enjoy the game for what it is rather than start over again for a 4th time and sour the experience completely. If I get around to recording some share capture stuff, I'll be sure to chuck it in here.

It was pretty damn apparent, if my memory serves me correctly. Granted, I've only gone through the first half hour on Survivor, noticed that something was amiss, restarted on Spartan and noticed that it was more or less fixed, so hopefully I'm not seeing things.

Hammer24

Banned
Are you sure?
I cant remember to see a menu with: easy/normal/hard.

What happened to me was, when starting the game 1st I could choose between Spartan / Survival; then I could choose between Normal / Ranger / Hardcore / Ranger Hardcore.

Exactly the same for me too.

Top Bottom