• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

The Chef

Yeah, I messed that one up. Where did they mention this in the story?

Right when your in the
library
He says
"When you see them DONT SHOOT! You stand your ground and do not look away...if you shoot...it will be the last thing you ever see. "

It was a pretty weighty statement so I took it to heart.

Azlan

I really want to check these games out, but between Diablo 3 and Destiny next week I don't think I will be able to. This is the first casualty of the overload of fall games to come. I have a feeling I will have a decent backlog going into next year. May be a dumb question - but is this game at all comparable to Wolfenstein or a completely different kind of FPS?

Right when your in the
library
He says
"When you see them DONT SHOOT! You stand your ground and do not look away...if you shoot...it will be the last thing you ever see. "

It was a pretty weighty statement so I took it to heart.

Ah, crap. I even remember that part. I'm an idiot.

The Chef

Ah, crap. I even remember that part. I'm an idiot.

Ha, I dont blame you honestly. Whenever anyone was talking I am always around the room looking in for crap.

However, unfortunately for that section:
The idea of not shooting them got a little tiring. The first time the library monster shows up in front of you is pretty intense. Its roaring at you and getting really close but eventually turns and leaves. Very cool the first and maybe second time. The 10th time however I would just look at them and then pull up my phone and wait for them to finish their ritual and leave and then I would continue playing. It was probably more fun to shoot everyone.

misho8723

Banned
Yeah, I guess that what he stated may apply to the older version.

So, on Redux, Normal is the same difficult as Ranger, and Hardcore is the same as Ranger Hardcore, except for the UI changes?

In the original M2033 there were at first this options: easy, normal, hardcore.. then they have released a DLC in which they added Ranger Normal - harder than hardcore, but still visible HUD, UI, etc.. and Ranger Hardcore - the same as Ranger Normal, but the HUD & UI are gone (for the most time, i don't know if the whole time).. and now in Redux, you have Normal, Hardcore, Ranger Normal, Ranger Hardcore & you have this modes now to choice: Survival (guns are reloading slower, AI is smarter, fewer filters, ammo, etc = style of the original M2033) and Spartan (faster reloading times, more filters, more ammo, etc.. = style of Last Light)

Metro 2033:
So, am I suppose to run into a bunch of enemies and fight them off?
Are the guns suppose to be extremely underpowered (besides the shotgun), or am I missing something here? (I use the Submachinegun here and there, and its just garbage)

I'm playing on Normal, I feel like I doing something wrong.

Metro 2033:
Are the guns suppose to be extremely underpowered (besides the shotgun), or am I missing something here? (I use the Submachinegun here and there, and its just garbage)

I'm playing on Normal, I feel like I doing something wrong.

Not really. I tried to be stealthy and take enemies out from behind until they find you, in which case you'll have to fight them all off.

You'll get much better guns that the SMG. You can also upgrade the strength of each weapon at the stores throughout the game.

Somehow from the descriptions before starting the game I thought Spartan would be easier than Survival. So I went for Spartan/Hardcore.

I'm getting my ass handed to me every encounter.

Carnby

Please tell me Last Light is much better than 2033. I made it to the library and overall I'm finding this game to be very underwhelming.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Please tell me Last Light is much better than 2033. I made it to the library and overall I'm finding this game to be very underwhelming.
Last Light is a lot better but if you're not enjoying 2033 at all by that point I'm not sure you'll like LL.

Hystzen

Checkpoints on Frontline what's that

Holy shit think had redo that level 7 times due to random nazi spotting me at end and causing a hail of rain on me

Kssio_Aug

In the original M2033 there were at first this options: easy, normal, hardcore.. then they have released a DLC in which they added Ranger Normal - harder than hardcore, but still visible HUD, UI, etc.. and Ranger Hardcore - the same as Ranger Normal, but the HUD & UI are gone (for the most time, i don't know if the whole time).. and now in Redux, you have Normal, Hardcore, Ranger Normal, Ranger Hardcore & you have this modes now to choice: Survival (guns are reloading slower, AI is smarter, fewer filters, ammo, etc = style of the original M2033) and Spartan (faster reloading times, more filters, more ammo, etc.. = style of Last Light)

But then, in terms of difficulty, if I chose the Normal mode or the Hardcore mode, would be exactly the same as if I chose Ranger Normal or Ranger Hardcore?

I ask this because the UI doesnt bother me at all, I dont think it is in any way intrusive and it helps me selecting the equipment and searching for stuff. I dont feel like the UI on this game affects the atmosphere by the way it is.

Carnby

Last Light is a lot better but if you're not enjoying 2033 at all by that point I'm not sure you'll like LL.

Dang...

My main complaints are the weapons feel weak. Most encounters feel like I am being overwhelmed with enemies, who barely take damage from my weapons.
The levels are short. After an encounter, we cut to the next chapter, followed by cut scenes and dialogue the remove all moment that was built.
The stealth is barley functional. If one guy sees me, I instantly have 15 soldiers firing at me at the same time.

Hammer24

Banned
Dang...

My main complaints are the weapons feel weak. Most encounters feel like I am being overwhelmed with enemies, who barely take damage from my weapons.
The levels are short. After an encounter, we cut to the next chapter, followed by cut scenes and dialogue the remove all moment that was built.
The stealth is barley functional. If one guy sees me, I instantly have 15 soldiers firing at me at the same time.

- weapons only have punch with headshots, upgrading them helps but not much
- stealth works, but differently: you need to try to separate the enemies from each other, and of course use a silenced weapon or melee
- if you play it stealthy like that, the chapters/encounters take more time, and feel right
- the game is about survival, so that's how it should be approached, I guess

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
One thing I wish they would have done is make the differences between Survivor and Spartan more significant.

As is (at least on normal) there is barely any difference between the two. I didn't come remotely close to running out of ammo on Survivor nor did I ever feel strapped for supplies.

Both modes should have distinct advantages over the other. Survivor I felt would have been better if they significantly dropped the amount of ammo and MGR, BUT also upped the amount of damage you do so that you get more of a make every shot count feel.

Perhaps the differences are more significant on Ranger mode. Can someone enlighten me?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
this game of infamous: ss arrr. help me decide gaf.

Metro 2033 is one of my all-time favorite games, so it gets an easy recommendation from me. I haven't played the Infamous series, so I can't comment on that, but you won't go wrong with Metro Redux, that's for sure.

there's your answer right there.
Probably.

Kssio_Aug

this game of infamous: ss arrr. help me decide gaf.

Have you played inFamous before? If yes, and you liked it, you may want to try this one. The thing is however: Second Son is a bit repetitive, it lacks variety of enemies and all the powers kind of feel more or less the same in the end. It is a good game, I trully enjoyed it (even platinated it) but in terms of gameplay inFamous 1 and 2 are more interesting; however in terms of characters and history maybe this one is the best.

Metro on the other hand is a bargain. The game is cheap on PSN and is awesome! It is one of the best games out there in terms of atmosphere and immersion, and the Redux gameplay is quite enhanced and trully enjoyable (compared to the original 2033 and what I have been palying).

So it is very relative I suppose. If you're a big fan of inFamous I'd recommend it for sure! If not, by the price tag and given the quality of Metro games, I would easily recommend Metro if you enjoy a good single player FPS.

misho8723

Banned
One thing I wish they would have done is make the differences between Survivor and Spartan more significant.

As is (at least on normal) there is barely any difference between the two. I didn't come remotely close to running out of ammo on Survivor nor did I ever feel strapped for supplies.

Both modes should have distinct advantages over the other. Survivor I felt would have been better if they significantly dropped the amount of ammo and MGR, BUT also upped the amount of damage you do so that you get more of a make every shot count feel.

Perhaps the differences are more significant on Ranger mode. Can someone enlighten me?

Well even in the original release of M2033, Normal wasn't that much hard... and when you know how to play the game, than even on Ranger (Normal or Hardcore) mode you barely in a situation in which you are out of filters or ammo..
The biggest differences i think when it comes to Survival and Spartan is in the way the weapons are behaving.. in Survival the reloading of them is taking some more time, aiming is more difficult, etc.. and maybe the AI is more agressive in Survival.. fewer ammo and filters, but if know how to play and looking everywhere in the area (levels), than you don't have a problem

Hystzen

Odd people think guns underpowered seems easy drop people with a Ak, VSV silenced or even revolver with heavy barrel mod. On survival hardcore btw

If not throwing knives FTW

RoKKeR

Just noticed today that we passed 2,000 posts, nice! Thanks all.

Hoping to get further into my LL play through this week but university work is ramping up by the day, which is a huge bummer. Only through the opening hour or so but it already has reminded me how much more solid and polished Last Light is. It of course takes more cues from modern shooters, (which is why it lacks charm compared to 2033) but that leads to a tighter setup overall in my opinion.

Finished Metro 2033 today and it actually turned out to be good towards the end. I wasn't really impressed with the game for the first five chapters, but I really enjoyed the parts from the library onward. The atmosphere just oozes at that point. I'll probably finish Last Light in the next couple days I'm nearly halfway through I think.

HiiiLife

Just started Last Light. Anna needs to get over herself.

GAF remind me how to actually equip the knife in my hand so I can see the character holding it? Ps4 here.

I'm really trying to like 2033 and I can easily see how hard they're trying with it, but the damned game is so Janky. A few examples so far from the 3 or so hours I've played:

When I get in a cart my legs disappear, I can see my seat and I can spin my head around 360 degrees. Really pulls you out of the experience.

Enemies will literally jump through AI controlled soldiers to go directly for you and ignore everyone else.

There's no enemy feedback whatsoever when you hit them. I had to tick the hit marker button in the options to see when I was dealing damage.

Weapons sound like peashooters. Coupled with the above, it makes the gunplay as a whole very underwhelming.

On at least 3 occasions I've seen A I characters skip across the map to sit down on a seat near me when it glitches.

Last one, but it really bothered me. At one point the man who I was walking through the tunnels with said we needed to help people defend their station from attacking packs of those dog enemies. I spent a good 20 minutes killing them until I ran out of bullets and eventually died. Replayed again and same thing happened. Getting frustrated I checked my clipboard only to find some random mission to grab explosives and blow up two tunnels. At no point in the game was this mentioned to me in conversation.

I appreciate the setting however and the atmosphere. Reminds me of a Russian fallout. Not sure I'll be picking up LL though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to starting 2033 after I finish Transistor. I'm in the mood for a kind of obtuse, weird shooter. I don't know.

HiiiLife

Bout a little over an hour into Last Light. Such a stronger start compared 2033. I'm also playing this on the hardest difficulty in Spartan. Ammo seems a little more scare than I thought. Wish I could somehow bring up my gun or pull the magazine out to see how many bullets I have left. That'd be a cool feature. Gunplay seems like an improvement over 2033. I might need to go back and play 2033 on Spartan after.

HiiiLife

Also how do I pick my grenade in Ranger Hardcore? No UI for inventory seems like a shoddy design. Lol.

And if it someone can answer my previous question regarding my character holding the knife as opposed to throwing them, I'd appreciate it.

I'm really trying to like 2033 and I can easily see how hard they're trying with it, but the damned game is so Janky. A few examples so far from the 3 or so hours I've played:

When I get in a cart my legs disappear, I can see my seat and I can spin my head around 360 degrees. Really pulls you out of the experience.

Enemies will literally jump through AI controlled soldiers to go directly for you and ignore everyone else.

There's no enemy feedback whatsoever when you hit them. I had to tick the hit marker button in the options to see when I was dealing damage.

Weapons sound like peashooters. Coupled with the above, it makes the gunplay as a whole very underwhelming.

On at least 3 occasions I've seen A I characters skip across the map to sit down on a seat near me when it glitches.

Last one, but it really bothered me. At one point the man who I was walking through the tunnels with said we needed to help people defend their station from attacking packs of those dog enemies. I spent a good 20 minutes killing them until I ran out of bullets and eventually died. Replayed again and same thing happened. Getting frustrated I checked my clipboard only to find some random mission to grab explosives and blow up two tunnels. At no point in the game was this mentioned to me in conversation.

I appreciate the setting however and the atmosphere. Reminds me of a Russian fallout. Not sure I'll be picking up LL though.
Survivor or Spartan? Spartan is much more like standard FPS with plenty ammo. And they do mention about the explosives... Dunno how can you miss that.

You can also sneak the monsters by crouching and standing still while they pass by you, remember to turn off your flashlight when sneaking. The monsters have infinite spawn there, and the NPCs will not ran out of ammo.

.Also how do I pick my grenade in Ranger Hardcore? No UI for inventory seems like a shoddy design. Lol

And if it someone can answer my previous question regarding my character holding the knife as opposed to throwing them, I'd appreciate it.

Metro 2033 the original had equipable, cookable, and useable inventory items (like grenades and throwing knives) along with the knife.

In LL and Redux games that ability is removed and you have to tab select them, or use that function on the controler (sorry I forget). This just selectis them and then you use the instant button to throw / lay the inventory item. And you cannot equip your normal knife, you can justuse it for melee kills.

I have no idea why they added this and took out the old system, both can work together IMO.

Hollow

Also how do I pick my grenade in Ranger Hardcore? No UI for inventory seems like a shoddy design. Lol.

I don't think you can equip your knife. That was only in the original 2033 if I remember correctly.

I believe grenades (pipe bombs) are left on the d-pad while holding triangle. Up is throwing knives, down is claymore mines and right is incendiary bombs.

HiiiLife

Metro 2033 the original had equipable, cookable, and useable inventory items (like grenades and throwing knives) along with the knife.

In LL and Redux games that ability is removed and you have to tab select them, or use that function on the controler (sorry I forget). This just selectis them and then you use the instant button to throw / lay the inventory item. And you cannot equip your normal knife, you can justuse it for melee kills.

I have no idea why they added this and took out the old system, both can work together IMO.

Ahhh. I see. I was just watching YouTube videos of 2033 and it showed the character physically holding a grenade with an unlit wick, lighting it with his own lighter then tossing the nade. He then proceeded to hold up 3 or 4 throwing knifes in his left hand. I was like.. I don't remember being able to do this on 2033..

I don't think you can equip your knife. That was only in the original 2033 if I remember correctly.

I believe grenades (pipe bombs) are left on the d-pad while holding triangle. Up is throwing knives, down is claymore mines and right is incendiary bombs.

Gotcha. It was bugging me when I was playing LL. I am happy that higher difficulties = less bullet sponges though. I love that LL wristwatch.

Reknoc

Bout a little over an hour into Last Light. Such a stronger start compared 2033. I'm also playing this on the hardest difficulty in Spartan. Ammo seems a little more scare than I thought. Wish I could somehow bring up my gun or pull the magazine out to see how many bullets I have left. That'd be a cool feature. Gunplay seems like an improvement over 2033. I might need to go back and play 2033 on Spartan after.

Your sort of can check your bullets, magazines or clips or whatever they are have a gap in them. If you check your watch you can see how many bullets you have left. Think there might even be a check gun button that I pressed accidentally but never found it again lol

Gotcha. It was bugging me when I was playing LL. I am happy that higher difficulties = less bullet sponges though. I love that LL wristwatch.

Yeah Ranger difficulty makes everything almost a one hit kill (depending upon body armor and location damage still though).

I find the LL watch super awesome looking too.

TJP

Another patch for each Redux game via Steam; both games got an update of just under 13MB. No patch notes thus far although the exe files (game and benchmark tool) look to have been modded, the BugTrap.dll along with the D3D11 install folder.

holy shit the Tower is hard. is there a strategy people are using or do i have to git gud?

Yeah this is what I recommend, I'm going to spoiler tag it for weapon and item purposes,
............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................git.gud..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Rivitur

Banned
Yeah this is what I recommend, I'm going to spoiler tag it for weapon and item purposes,
............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................git.gud..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Welp... I honestly believe:

We're all screwed if that's the case... Which it is.

Top Bottom