• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
holy shit the Tower is hard. is there a strategy people are using or do i have to git gud?

I can't complete even the first challenge....

That shit was not tested on consoles it's just too damn hard.
I made it through by the skin of my teeth. The PC video walkthroughs are not really all that helpful since they enable freakishly quick aim that isn't possible on the consoles and that is something you need on these challenges. They really aren't fair challenges on consoles and they need to be nerfed. At least on normal.

However for the first one the ONLY tip I can offer is to stay in the middle catwalk behind the cover like in the video BUT absolutely make it a high priority to shoot soldiers that are unlocking spawn points. If they unlock spawn points you are pretty screwed and it becomes very difficult. If you do that then enemies will at least stay in front of you and you will have a chance.

For the fourth one, it's much harder since enemies require many more bullets to bring down, but try and unlock the first set of soldiers and then quickly unlock the second set. Once you unlock the second set I recommend retreating up to the third floor above the second set of soldiers and help them pick off soldiers and place high priority on keeping them alive. They probably won't totally survive but you can get through a few waves. If you keep them alive long enough to unlock the snipers on the third floor you will actually have a chance to succeed.

My snipers got killed and I got freakishly lucky by hitting 3 consecutive headshots while I was 1 bullet away from death.

The final challenge took me two tries. It's not too hard as long as you save the claymores for the final wave. If you made it through the second challenge you should be able to make it through the last challenge. Just make sure to throw grenades at the grates while nosalisks are trying to break through you can take out a ton of them that way.

Nevertheless I got that trophy and have no interest in touching that DLC level again.

psychotron

Finished Last Light.....last night, lol. I really didn't enjoy it when I played on PS3, but after completing 2033 for the first time on PS4, I really enjoyed my time with Last Light.

The only part that was annoying, was the same part that pissed me off in the PS3 version, which is the part near the end where you are basically ambushed by snipers and soldiers on the ground. I had no filters left at all, so I always spent the beginning of the fight scrambling to find filters on the ground. I finally was able to grab them quick, set up claymores on the ground and pick off the rest.

I also got the GOOD ending!

I'm enjoying myself a lot more now, but man, am I glad that I opted for LL alone and that it was only 30AUD.

Be it mechanically or visually, the jank is pretty strong with the Metro games - there's just no two ways about it.

I think what it comes down to is that its bread and butter just isn't that great. The shooting mechanics are probably the most undercooked and "off" feeling I've experienced in an FPS; and while the stealth mechanics are quite fun to employ (the game's saving grace for me), they're very barebones and egregiously exploitable.

Things it does well? Atmosphere and possibly the best silenced revolver ever.

Survivor or Spartan? Spartan is much more like standard FPS with plenty ammo. And they do mention about the explosives... Dunno how can you miss that.

You can also sneak the monsters by crouching and standing still while they pass by you, remember to turn off your flashlight when sneaking. The monsters have infinite spawn there, and the NPCs will not ran out of ammo.

Maybe it bugged out on me then because of all the times I replayed that section the explosives were never mentioned. I'm playing it on Survivor btw. Seemed the most fun to try out.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Some really annoying bugs in the 2033 Redux PC right now:

1. Ammo counts seem fucked. In the journal, it'll say I have 0 or the wrong number of pieces of ammo, yet I clearly have more than it says. Makes doing ammo trades wonky. Alternatively, I think the game is making me lose ammo between levels.

2. The stealth music loops continues looping well past when it's supposed to stop, interfering with other music or cutscenes.

3. Some of my keyboard bindings get reset every time I start the game. (this might be because my user.cfg is read only, I'll test that out later.)

4. The game doesn't save found diary pages. If I reload a chapter after having restarted the game, all previous chapters' pages are lost. Right now, the only way to get all the pages is to play the entire game in one sitting.

The game is fully playable, but these things add up and make for a frustrating experience.

leng jai

I'm enjoying myself a lot more now, but man, am I glad that I opted for LL alone and that it was only 30AUD.

Be it mechanically or visually, the jank is pretty strong with the Metro games - there's just no two ways about it.

I think what it comes down to is that its bread and butter just isn't that great. The shooting mechanics are probably the most undercooked and "off" feeling I've experienced in an FPS; and while the stealth mechanics are quite fun to employ (the game's saving grace for me), they're very barebones and egregiously exploitable.

Things it does well? Atmosphere and possibly the best silenced revolver ever.

Be thankful you didn't get 2033. The jank is 10 times worse there.

Even though I knew the
Librarians weren't going to attack me if If stared them down, that whole section was still terribly tense for me. The atmosphere, the knowing that they are gonna jump out of their ceiling holes at any minute and land in front of me, making sure my back isn't turned to any of them at any moment.
Scary stuff.

Cudder

Even though I knew the
Librarians weren't going to attack me if If stared them down, that whole section was still terribly tense for me. The atmosphere, the knowing that they are gonna jump out of their ceiling holes at any minute and land in front of me, making sure my back isn't turned to any of them at any moment.
Scary stuff.

That segment was expertly crafted. Great stuff.

KNoon

Neo Member
Yeah, it's fucking impossible. I can't even beat the first challenge.

It's all about preparation and enemy management. I found if you let the enemies get either of the first two gates open relatively early (in Round 1 of the Tower), that was game over. However, if you effectively use cover and make every shot count, the tower can be felled in no time. It is far harder than it should be though, especially for a leader-board focused mode . Also, the levels without humans are leagues easier.

Can I pick any chapter to get the Weaponsmith achievement in 2033? The wiki mentions it is a continuous run, but the achievement itself doesn't say anything about that. Maybe it was continuous in the original game?

Maybe it bugged out on me then because of all the times I replayed that section the explosives were never mentioned. I'm playing it on Survivor btw. Seemed the most fun to try out.

The game does have quite a few bugs, in my second run a bunch of guys just died by themselves alerting the others so my sneaking was broken quite a few times.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Can I pick any chapter to get the Weaponsmith achievement in 2033? The wiki mentions it is a continuous run, but the achievement itself doesn't say anything about that. Maybe it was continuous in the original game?

The game does have quite a few bugs, in my second run a bunch of guys just died by themselves alerting the others so my sneaking was broken quite a few times.
I think that issue is fixed in Redux and you can just load chapters for the missing weapons. Achievement guides have weapon availability charts which makes it easy.

God I love these games, dat atmosphere!
Having a blast revisiting 2033 in ranger mode, game can get tense as hell, specially when you're outside and have to worry about filters. The game rewards exploration when you're on the surface but the clock is always ticking.
I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic settings and this one is one of my favorites.

I really don't think the Metro games are janky at all, although I only play on Ranger Hardcore where damage is much higher. Blasting a guy with a shotgun and having him go flying into a wall as blood sprays all over your mask is pretty satisfying. To be fair sometimes he will go into that wall, but it's rare that the actual mechanics are sound.

Some really annoying bugs in the 2033 Redux PC right now:

1. Ammo counts seem fucked. In the journal, it'll say I have 0 or the wrong number of pieces of ammo, yet I clearly have more than it says. Makes doing ammo trades wonky. Alternatively, I think the game is making me lose ammo between levels.

2. The stealth music loops continues looping well past when it's supposed to stop, interfering with other music or cutscenes.

3. Some of my keyboard bindings get reset every time I start the game. (this might be because my user.cfg is read only, I'll test that out later.)

4. The game doesn't save found diary pages. If I reload a chapter after having restarted the game, all previous chapters' pages are lost. Right now, the only way to get all the pages is to play the entire game in one sitting.

The game is fully playable, but these things add up and make for a frustrating experience.

Yup, for me, the biggest issues with the game are technical ones. 2033 may have been a bit janky, but one area you couldn't fault was its technical chops. It looked amazing and still looks great today. But 2033 bizarrely has more graphical glitches and fuck ups than OG 2033 ever had.
The 'Defense' chapter had flickering ground textures, like the whole ground flickered any time you moved.
I fell through the floor of the train to D6 and clipped right out of the game.
In the basement area of D6 I saw cables running down the walls of a hallway that would vanish if I stepped back through the doorway into the hall. Like step into the hall, cables appear out of nowhere. Step back out the door, cables vanish.
Millers model slid slowly across the floor in a stationary position to a control panel to press a button in D6 instead of walking.
The game has hung a bunch of times at startup and had to be launched in safe mode. The 'first time setup' thing launches every time I launch the game and runs the msiexec.exe shit.

Literally none of this happened in OG 2033. So its disappointing to find a remaster that's technically worse than its source material.
The improvements are great tho, it looks lovely and the awful sections like the amoebas and the wonky librarians have been totally fixed so its worth the asking price and still a great game.

Finished 2033 redux last night. Survival mode, Ranger difficulty. Overall its a great game, but I do have a few niggles. I guess it comes with the territory since ive played over 50 hours of OG 2033 on PC, and before that, finished it about 3 or 4 times on 360. I love 2033 so much, its easily one of my favourite FPSes of all time. Even the annoying glitches and bugs cant ruin Redux

Karish

Just got this from Gamefly. Have never played either game. Worth starting with 2033 or should I go straight into, what appears to be the superior, Last Light.

The shotgun pistol in Last Light is such a limited weapon compared to the other shotguns, but GOTDAYUM it feels amazing to use in stealth or quick 1v1 encounters. Straight launching enemies.

rubex75

Banned
I'm desperate to get Redux. I love playing Last Light on PS3 and I never got the chance to play 2033, so the both in one package for current-gen is one I really want to buy.

The shotgun pistol in Last Light is such a limited weapon compared to the other shotguns, but GOTDAYUM it feels amazing to use in stealth or quick 1v1 encounters. Straight launching enemies.

Such an awesome weapon, but I feel like it alerts other guards without fail, even when silenced? I thought I could use it as a silenced pistol :(

Be thankful you didn't get 2033. The jank is 10 times worse there.

Haha. Yep. Was well aware of that, thankfully. There's only so much a redux can do, hey?

Such an awesome weapon, but I feel like it alerts other guards without fail, even when silenced? I thought I could use it as a silenced pistol :(

I think that happens without fail pretty often due to some of the pellets missing and smacking walls causing noise.

I think...

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Comments on gameplay changes to the later levels of 2033:

The plated nosalises have been replaced with the spiderbugs from LL. This section is much more enjoyable now.

The amoeba section has been revised. The pods now only drop a single amoeba, it feels like there are fewer of them, and with careful aim, it's pretty easy to get through. A massive improvement over the original. It also looks better.

I made it through by the skin of my teeth. The PC video walkthroughs are not really all that helpful since they enable freakishly quick aim that isn't possible on the consoles and that is something you need on these challenges. They really aren't fair challenges on consoles and they need to be nerfed. At least on normal.

However for the first one the ONLY tip I can offer is to stay in the middle catwalk behind the cover like in the video BUT absolutely make it a high priority to shoot soldiers that are unlocking spawn points. If they unlock spawn points you are pretty screwed and it becomes very difficult. If you do that then enemies will at least stay in front of you and you will have a chance.

For the fourth one, it's much harder since enemies require many more bullets to bring down, but try and unlock the first set of soldiers and then quickly unlock the second set. Once you unlock the second set I recommend retreating up to the third floor above the second set of soldiers and help them pick off soldiers and place high priority on keeping them alive. They probably won't totally survive but you can get through a few waves. If you keep them alive long enough to unlock the snipers on the third floor you will actually have a chance to succeed.

My snipers got killed and I got freakishly lucky by hitting 3 consecutive headshots while I was 1 bullet away from death.

The final challenge took me two tries. It's not too hard as long as you save the claymores for the final wave. If you made it through the second challenge you should be able to make it through the last challenge. Just make sure to throw grenades at the grates while nosalisks are trying to break through you can take out a ton of them that way.

Nevertheless I got that trophy and have no interest in touching that DLC level again.

wow, nice job, dude. like others have said, i can't even get past the first room.
what difficulty did you play on, btw?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

The plated nosalises have been replaced with the spiderbugs from LL. This section is much more enjoyable now.

The amoeba section has been revised. The pods now only drop a single amoeba, it feels like there are fewer of them, and with careful aim, it's pretty easy to get through. A massive improvement over the original. It also looks better.

Oh yeah the amoeba section got nerfed hilariously hard and deservedly so. I'm not gonna put spoiler tags on that because they openly refer to them in the achievements.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah the amoeba section got nerfed hilariously hard and deservedly so. I'm not gonna put spoiler tags on that because they openly refer to them in the achievements.

I understand, and you raise a good point. I usually try to err on the side of caution with this kinda stuff, though, as there are people here playing for the first time.

I finished 2033 Redux earlier. The gameplay changes and improvements make it my preferred version of the game. The bugs are frustrating, but they don't outweigh the refinement that 4A did for 2033 Redux. If you're diving into the Metro series for the first time, the Redux version is where I'd recommend starting. I imagine many of the issues that the games currently have will be addressed in the coming weeks.

And in reference to my earlier post, my keybinds not saving was my fault for setting user.cfg to read only. Oops.

misho8723

Banned

And how does Miller act in the part with amoeba? Does he shoot at them this time properly aka is he more active in shooting them?

If this section is now good and not so frustrating, then the section against the tank and soldiers on the stations with Pavel is almost the new "amoeba" level for me :)..so frustrating

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
And how does Miller act in the part with amoeba? Does he shoot at them this time properly aka is he more active in shooting them?

If this section is now good and not so frustrating, then the section against the tank and soldiers on the stations with Pavel is almost the new "amoeba" level for me :)..so frustrating

Miller seemed to focus on shooting the amoebas, while I focused on the pods. It worked out pretty well.

Hystzen

I didn't even fire one bullet thanks to Miller mopping up amoebas.

The time I had a crash on PS4 was D6 flamethrower soon cart started moving it quit application. Had to restart a checkpoint on dungeon after the 3rd battle with noses my AI team just stood in place instead triggering next part.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

If you move slow he can handle all of them himself since they only come maybe 2-3 at a time.

misho8723

Banned
Miller seemed to focus on shooting the amoebas, while I focused on the pods. It worked out pretty well.

If you move slow he can handle all of them himself since they only come maybe 2-3 at a time.

That's good to know.. I played the original 2033 last week for the second time, and that section on Ranger Normal was nightmare... again :D.. thank god they fixed this section this time around

I finished 2033 earlier today, overall it was a good game. I'd give it a solid 7.5....maybe a 7.7, if I'm feeling generous, lol.

Now on to Last Light.

Anyone getting crashes in the Bandits level of Last Light redux? I buy some weapons and walk back towards the car and the game crashes without fail.

Cubed

Welp, I've played about 30 minutes of 2033 Redux so far... Not feeling it yet. Graphics are good, but the controls are really wonky and the guns lack punch. I can't judge the story yet.

However, I'm stressing that these are initial impressions. Still, the gunplay and controls likely don't get better, I just need to acclimate, and that may not happen easily.

Top Bottom