• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Welp, I've played about 30 minutes of 2033 Redux so far... Not feeling it yet. Graphics are good, but the controls are really wonky and the guns lack punch. I can't judge the story yet.

However, I'm stressing that these are initial impressions. Still, the gunplay and controls likely don't get better, I just need to acclimate, and that may not happen easily.
Turning the sensitivity up all the way and getting a few hours in made 2033 really click for me. It's got some rough edges, even in Redux, but it does get quite good.

I think I'm in chapter 6 or 7 of 2033 right now. So far definitely enjoyed it more than the first time I played it (I quit on the first level because the shooting felt like ass). I gotta say my biggest disappointment, outside of the really old school feeling of the gameplay itself in its wonkiness, would be how little interaction I had with people. I wanted to explore this universe and maybe be given free roam to go around these decently sized cities and have side quests and stuff. Obviously the game didn't owe me that, it never even hinted that it was going to give me this, but I still feel disappointed that it was such a corridor shooter. I mean haha yeah corridor in a metro jokes on you Woofington.

We have a silent protagonist, little interactions with npcs, not that many strong side characters, and like every NPC is the same model except for that one prostitute early on in the game and the outstanding spartan dudes. Also I'll reiterate, where did they find this person to voice the children? Or do Russian children all sound like constipated disney dwarves?

edit: also in my list of complaints there's one that's not so much a straight up complaint as a laughable one. The AI is in denial lol, I've killed so many people 'stealth-like' like right behind someone and they don't bother turning around, or because it's dark they miss the body lol.

Also I didn't use knives until like chapter 5 and I felt like an idiot, makes some stealth encounters much easier.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just used all my regular ammo and *just barely* made it through the demolition section with Khan in 2033. Am I screwed?

I just used all my regular ammo and *just barely* made it through the demolition section with Khan in 2033. Am I screwed?

I stealthed that entire section, only having to use a few shotgun rounds when a couple of the monsters saw me transition from one side of the metro to the other...damn trash can fires lighting me up.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Total sections I've managed to sneak through so far: 0

I only just read up on the watch stealth thing.

Why is the filter measured in time? Do I lose a set amount every time I use one?

pelican

Should have been more conservative with your ammo...but no you can continue to progress.

Remember this isn't a spray and pray type of game.

Nodnol

What's everyone's go-to when to comes to weapons?

I've generally been running one stealth based weapon, and one "shit-hits-the-fan-kill-everything" weapon.

I have a massive soft-spot for the airgun though, I've forgotten the name of it. Very satisfying headshots! Dropped that though for the AK74 with silencer and IR, combined with a trusty shotgun.

Total sections I've managed to sneak through so far: 0

I only just read up on the watch stealth thing.

Why is the filter measured in time? Do I lose a set amount every time I use one?

Just stick to the shadows, keep crouched, make sure your stealth indicator light isn't blue (that mean's you're visible), use throwing knives or silenced headshots if you absolutely have to. The night-vision goggles really help too as some areas can get very dark.

In regards to the filter, yes, they only last for a set amount of time. There will be a sound to alert you when you need to change the filter (it comes through the DS4 speaker if you're playing on PS4), Artyom's breathing will become laboured and you're controller will rumble.

I have a massive soft-spot for the airgun though, I've forgotten the name of it. Very satisfying headshots! Dropped that though for the AK74 with silencer and IR, combined with a trusty shotgun.

Same here. The shotgun was for those moments when you're overwhelmed and in a confided space.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the advice. :)

I think I had my torch on, which didn't help.

I'm really enjoying this.

misho8723

Banned
I have never seen this trailer for Metro 2033 alpha version : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT2BbruE9Ws
And never seen screens from this version of the game:
Library_alpha_0003.jpg

metro-2033-the-last-refuge-20060817022904854.jpg

Interesting stuff

Hystzen

What's everyone's go-to when to comes to weapons?

I've generally been running one stealth based weapon, and one "shit-hits-the-fan-kill-everything" weapon.

In Metro 2033 redux the VSV that is given to you in dark station by the ranger at start. VSV uses armour piercing rounds according to lore so the armoured people drop quicker plus it has silencer. Only gun needed in that game rest become pointless even mops up most mutants in a 2-3 shots.

Last light silence revolver with trusty AK and throwing knives

I have never seen this trailer for Metro 2033 alpha version : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT2BbruE9Ws
And never seen screens from this version of the game:
Library_alpha_0003.jpg

metro-2033-the-last-refuge-20060817022904854.jpg

Interesting stuff

That's really interesting, I remember hearing about it long ago and remember it having a long development time, but I've never seen footage of it. You can tell they had the vision of what they wanted with 2033 but the tech just wasn't there.

02va5vc0zn7.jpg

emrober5

Finished Last Light. Great games and I'm glad I got to play them for the first time on ps4. I was truly impressed with the visuals at points in Last Light. However, I probably should have taken a break between them. Jumping into Last Light right after 2033 kinda burned me out. I found myself sprinting through areas when I knew I was close to the end.

I had a few issues with the game crashing, and the cgi cutscenes were shockingly low quality compared to the game, but overall it was a good purchase and I will definitely be picking up their next game.

I've just started Last Light - should I choose the RPK or the Kalash? I was thinking the Kalash, to use it the same way I used it on 2033 (silencer and IR scope), but if the RPK is stronger and can hold more ammo, I might as well go with that, right?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I've just started Last Light - should I choose the RPK or the Kalash? I was thinking the Kalash, to use it the same way I used it on 2033 (silencer and IR scope), but if the RPK is stronger and can hold more ammo, I might as well go with that, right?
RPK is a better weapon! Choose it.

Reese-015

Welp, I've played about 30 minutes of 2033 Redux so far... Not feeling it yet. Graphics are good, but the controls are really wonky and the guns lack punch. I can't judge the story yet.

However, I'm stressing that these are initial impressions. Still, the gunplay and controls likely don't get better, I just need to acclimate, and that may not happen easily.

These are my sentiments as well and it's very much how I felt when I first played 2033 way back... To the point that, while I adored the game's atmosphere and visual fidelity, it just didn't click with me gameplay-wise. I feel that Redux improves it enough for it to work, I think I'll actually play through it now, loving it thus far, even with its meh gunplay & animations. I wonder if LL improves a lot in these regards.

Hystzen

Man my no kill or try not to kill rule always goes out the window when on Bandits level. I knock out nazis and communists but that level every time I see what those people done or doing I always trigger badass rage atryom. Throwing knives and stabbing necks.

Nodnol

Finding a particular spot tricky.

Past Venice...

Ive just past the Church, headed down into the catacombs (as if post-apocalyptic Moscow wasn't creepy enough). I've reached a point where I've pulled a lever and I'm waiting for an elevator. Waterfalls and wheels either side, in case there's more than one. Anyone, most encounters are avoidable, but here I think I'm faced with fighting, and I keep getting my arse handed to me. Bit low on ammo, a few throwing knives, one incendiary, two grenades. Any tips? I'm contemplating restarting the chapter, but does anyone know if it starts before the church is attacked? I traded my AK for the Kalash 2012 and sacrificed filling up on ammo and health packs. Think I sold myself short!

Hystzen

Finding a particular spot tricky.

Past Venice...

Ive just past the Church, headed down into the catacombs (as if post-apocalyptic Moscow wasn't creepy enough). I've reached a point where I've pulled a lever and I'm waiting for an elevator. Waterfalls and wheels either side, in case there's more than one. Anyone, most encounters are avoidable, but here I think I'm faced with fighting, and I keep getting my arse handed to me. Bit low on ammo, a few throwing knives, one incendiary, two grenades. Any tips? I'm contemplating restarting the chapter, but does anyone know if it starts before the church is attacked? I traded my AK for the Kalash 2012 and sacrificed filling up on ammo and health packs. Think I sold myself short!

You can create a choke point in left corner if getting overwhelmed throw incendiary to slow them down so can reload guns. Use throwing knives first as only they slowly appear at start then switch to pistol or lowest ammo weapon

misho8723

Banned
Spartan is run and gun

Survival with hardcore is balance between stealth and able to shoot if things go tits up. Have be careful as you be killed if careless

Well even on Spartan mode & Ranger (normal or hardcore) the game isn't run & gun - don't forget, two - three bullets and you're down, sometimes even one bullet to the head and you are dead too :D... you would be killed over and over again.. but you would have plenty of ammo, so that's nice :)

Any general consensus on which is the "better" mode for Metro 2033 – spartan or survival?

I'm playing Spartan on hard but still playing it relatively stealthy and careful. My understanding is that it gives you more resources/bullets around the map as you search, so less of a pain. And it's already hard enough to find enough resources to when on the outside, I don't want to imagine how it is in the other mode.

Scoot2005

Banned

I felt the same way in the beginning. It gets a bit better later on. If it hasn't clicked after say 3 hours then you might be shit out of luck.

Deadbeat

Banned
Survival/spartan is a half assed addition like 1999 mode in bio inf. Should have known better it would be a joke.

Also they half assed the watch checking animation from what 2033 had originally.

Carbonox

Got the Platinum Trophy in Metro 2033 Redux earlier and have started Last Light. Currently where you have to find Pavel in the
Nazi base

Absolutely loving it so far. Stealth areas seem more fun than in 2033.

Nuke Soda

Forgot how much the armory level sucks in Metro 2033, pretty sure stealth is impossible in this level and the checkpoints are cruel.

misho8723

Banned
Forgot how much the armory level sucks in Metro 2033, pretty sure stealth is impossible in this level and the checkpoints are cruel.

I think you mean another level, because armory is when you are chased through the station and Andrew seves you.. the next level is Front Line and that level is pretty hard for stealth and even for shooting through it

Hystzen

I think you mean another level, because armory is when you are chased through the station and Andrew seves you.. the next level is Front Line and that level is pretty hard for stealth and even for shooting through it

If you take the pipes then the floor you can easily sneak through it the issue is no checkpoints on that level so one wrong move you screwed

I found the worst level is the one where
you have to go through the frontlines of Nazi vs Communists
because the game really needs to do more visual cues in the sense of letting me know I can walk over pipes and even reach the end of the level by going all the way down below the bridge. I attempted to rush through the enemies so many times, then fight them, and eventually I decided to go back because the checkpoint was shitty and I realized that what looked like typical video game 'out of bounds insta death' is actually something you can walk through if you're careful enough to reach it.

I hated that level so much. If I had known I could continue being stealthy I would've done it so much sooner.

Cubed

I felt the same way in the beginning. It gets a bit better later on. If it hasn't clicked after say 3 hours then you might be shit out of luck.

I'm enjoying it a little more right now. Just ascended to Moscow.

Still, I hope Last Light feels a little tighter.

Kssio_Aug

because the game really needs to do more visual cues in the sense of letting me know I can walk over pipes and even reach the end of the level by going all the way down below the bridge. I attempted to rush through the enemies so many times, then fight them, and eventually I decided to go back because the checkpoint was shitty and I realized that what looked like typical video game 'out of bounds insta death' is actually something you can walk through if you're careful enough to reach it.

I hated that level so much. If I had known I could continue being stealthy I would've done it so much sooner.

LOL
I have not ran into that problem. I tried once on the top of the bridge also and got owned fast. So I decided going below it and it was very doable... actually I think I failed just once doing it stealthy below it.

But thats something that Metro 2033 tries to teach you from the beginning. Its like the game is telling you to avoid confronts every time that this is possible. Its like
the librarians part... the guy advise you to look them in the eyes and not fight 'em. And that actually works pretty well! lol

Just finished Redux 2033 here. Loved pretty much everything of it! May start Last Light soon! =P

Carroway

After having completed both 2033 and Last Light redux, I can say that this series is awesome! I had played the original 2033 on PC and it had its fair share of bugs and jank, so playing the remastered edition on PS4 felt like an entirely different game. I will admit though, there were several times in Last Light were I was on the surface when I had no more filters. The event on Red Square specifically forced me to do it, in under a minute or suffocate, which added an extra layer of tension to the entire ordeal.

I hope the release another one, even though I am not sure when or what that would be.

Vercimber

After having completed both 2033 and Last Light redux, I can say that this series is awesome! I had played the original 2033 on PC and it had its fair share of bugs and jank, so playing the remastered edition on PS4 felt like an entirely different game. I will admit though, there were several times in Last Light were I was on the surface when I had no more filters. The event on Red Square specifically forced me to do it, in under a minute or suffocate, which added an extra layer of tension to the entire ordeal.

I hope the release another one, even though I am not sure when or what that would be.

I totally agree. I have radiophobia, actually, so the game was straight-up survivor horror for me!

Nuke Soda

I must be have named the wrong level because that is where I am stuck.

Hystzen

I must be have named the wrong level because that is where I am stuck.
Easy path
When start level go back take out 2 guards in a box is night vision goggles. Now follow soldiers who get off the trolley. You will see a guy being executed get close guy in right then use throwing knife kill guy on left and take out guy on right with takedown. Keep going past the dude you saved see a lamp and break in railings jump onto pipe follow it round til see a white arrow follow that to a stash on dead body. Jump down to lower level keep heading down and put on gas mask. Walk casually along the floor to a pipe keep eye out for tripwires. Rest you find easy as you end up in nazi side near end of level

Rothmans

Neo Member
I played Metro 2033 on Xbox360 (2011) and then Metro last light on PS3 this year (thanks to PS+)

Metro 2033 was great (some kind of alternative to Bioshock) but Last Light adds almost nothing to the first game.

Last Light is not really a sequel, not realy a reboot ; I recommend 2033 not this "Last light" in between thing that was a big disappointment.

Beat Metro 2033 Redux.

Over-all I enjoyed it and I'm ashamed I didn't give it a proper try the first time I played it, as it was a decently fun game. Like I said before, it's a shame the game isn't free roam but a corridor shooter with levels. Still a very fun game, even if by the end I had completely ran out of bullets and was forced to use the military grade ones. The story was pretty simply post-apocalyptic setting, nothing to write home about, but the fact you had to constantly go up to the surface with the mask was cool. I wish they would have had more constant masks and filters, because there were points I would literally have to run around the level to find some more which alerted everybody of my presence.

The biggest negative of the title I'd have to say is the feel of the gameplay. The movement, the jumping, the melee, and especially the shooting felt clunky. Besides that, the voice acting was shoddy at points with the saving grace being that everybody had accents I guess, the kids sounded too far off and immersion-ruining of what kids should sound like. I especially laughed at the random one who said something like "I'm going to get a spanking!".

I guess my expectations of what the game is were a bit too high as I always heard fantastic stuff about it, but it ended up being a very solid game as a whole package. Just not as amazing as I was lead to believe by many.

I give it a 7.5/10. I won't play Last Light anytime soon with Destiny about to come out. But I'll eventually play it.

Hystzen

I played Metro 2033 on Xbox360 (2011) and then Metro last light on PS3 this year (thanks to PS+)

Metro 2033 was great (some kind of alternative to Bioshock) but Last Light adds almost nothing to the first game.

Last Light is not really a sequel, not realy a reboot ; I recommend 2033 not this "Last light" in between thing that was a big disappointment.

Err Last Light is a sequel it deals with aftermath of 2033 it continues story 1 year later.

Top Bottom