• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

I don't know how far I am in Last Light (just watched the whole
stage show and the story section after that)
, but I think they're relying too much on cutscenes, and a lot of the traversal so far has just been constant "ARTYOM, ARTYOM, ARTYOM DO THIS THING QUICKLY ARTYOM STOP LOOKING AROUND." 2033 felt less controlled, a little less pushy, and the major cutscenes/downtime felt like they had some more space between them.

I'm playing through Last Light Redux trying to do a pacifist run and I'm running into a problem on Contagion (Oktyabrskaya). Specifically, I'm talking about the part with the collapsing walkway right before
you meet Lesnitsky and Anna
and I'm getting screwed. In Last Light the enemies wouldn't react to the collapse but now, in Redux, they're turning around and immediately going into alert mode, giving you no chance to stealth through, let alone get to the end without killing anyone. You can only imagine how big a pain in the ass this is on Ranger mode.

Has anyone else had a problem with this section? It's preventing me from progressing and it's pretty annoying.

EDIT: it appears to be a trigger moment rather than an AI glitch. I fired a pneumatic rifle ball into the room to distract the guards, they turned completely around and as I passed through and triggered the walkway collapse, they automatically went into alert mode looking for me.

In addition, I also noticed that the guards can walk through the burning debris, something I learned when I attempted to simply run past two of the guards that were programmed to take the same pathway the player does. Ugh. I love these games but this is so frustrating...

Rothmans

Neo Member
It same character it mentioned in first few seconds and 80million times because NPCs are obsessed with saying his name Atryom

I remember Artyom was mentioned several times in Last Light ; my point was that 2033 had a pretty solid story/background.

When I played Last Light three years later (I may have forgotten a bit the first one) it seemed to me that this story/background was far less interesting.

misho8723

Banned
I played Metro 2033 on Xbox360 (2011) and then Metro last light on PS3 this year (thanks to PS+)

Metro 2033 was great (some kind of alternative to Bioshock) but Last Light adds almost nothing to the first game.

Last Light is not really a sequel, not realy a reboot ; I recommend 2033 not this "Last light" in between thing that was a big disappointment.

I think both games are great... M2033 is the more horror/survival part of this games, but LL when it came out, was a big step up in quality when it comes to gameplay.. AI of enemies was better, even though a bit too easy, + takedown, functional stealth, better pacing, better animations, better gun handling, in my opinion the story is better in LL than in M2033, a somewhat more freedom in missions, more stuff to do in stations, etc..

I must say that when I first finished M2033 I had a feeling that I played game which was a mix between STALKER (atmosphere, guns, mutants, ) and Call of Duty (pacing, scripted scenes, QTE).. in the case of LL, I had a feeling that I had played a game very similiar to Half-Life games, particularly HL2, which in my opinion was great and a better experience than M2033.. now thanks to Redux, they are almost on the same level of quality.. only shame that LL didn't had more horror moments - even though Dead City, Torchlight, Khan, Undercity + DLC missions like Khan, Spider Lair & Kshatriya, all this missions have fantastic atmopshere - and LL could have been somewhat more hard & less filters and ammunition..

Overall i think LL is still the better game, but both are great games and one of the best FPS games from the last 10 years

Carroway

I remember Artyom was mentioned several times in Last Light ; my point was that 2033 had a pretty solid story/background.

When I played Last Light three years later (I may have forgotten a bit the first one) it seemed to me that this story/background was far less interesting.

The story in Last Light kind of hinges on you getting a specific ending in 2033 and also that you remember rather vividly what had happend in the last game. Although it does seem to take a backseat towards the middle of the game. The story in Last Light is abit of a mess, mostly because it feels like several stories wrapped into one, whereas 2033 had one story thread that you saw through.

However, Last light is a better story than Metro 2034, which is just a depressing tale. Not bad, but certainly different and not for the better.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't know how far I am in Last Light (just watched the whole
stage show and the story section after that)
, but I think they're relying too much on cutscenes, and a lot of the traversal so far has just been constant "ARTYOM, ARTYOM, ARTYOM DO THIS THING QUICKLY ARTYOM STOP LOOKING AROUND." 2033 felt less controlled, a little less pushy, and the major cutscenes/downtime felt like they had some more space between them.

It opens up a bit past that point. Particularly in surface sections. You don't follow people around quite as much as in 2033.

It opens up a bit past that point. Particularly in surface sections. You don't follow people around quite as much as in 2033.

Sounds good. The game's much better when it leaves you alone and stops talking at you. The whole silent protagonist thing really sucks the air out of the story sections so I'd rather just be left alone to do tasks, or at least doing stuff with an ally who's not rushing you.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just made it through the Frontlines level without being spotted. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.

I just made it through the Frontlines level without being spotted. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.

I had to do it a couple of times. I think I realized there must be a sneaky way past this checkpoint I took when the only way I could go forward was to sprint and clear this gap under the bridge that was filled with enemies on the other side.

Finished up Last Light including all the DLC yesterday, except for the Tower. That thing is so hard; I can't find a good place for cover most of the time, and then I just get surrounded and killed. I gave up on it after a few levels.

Last Light is definitely my favorite of the two games in terms of story and gameplay though, and the game made much more sense now that I've finally played the first. It also really reminds me of Half Life 2 quiet a bit.

Kssio_Aug

Why do you people are finding 2033 redux gunplay clunky? I finished it today and it was very satisfying to me, specially with the shotgun! I played on Spartan though, maybe thats it?

I will still start to play Last Light. But 2033 Redux gameplay felty pretty good to me!

Why do you people are finding 2033 redux gunplay clunky? I finished it today and it was very satisfying to me, specially with the shotgun! I played on Spartan though, maybe thats it?

I will still start to play Last Light. But 2033 Redux gameplay felty pretty good to me!

there's no oomph to the weapons, and the audio of the guns is disappointing for me. Not to mention the shooting doesn't feel satisfying when you shoot the enemies. I hated attempting to stab short things more than the shooting though. It was close to impossible.

Also who thought it was a good idea to create a bunch of fast little rat enemy fuckers who are like Sonic the hedgehog fast? Those fuckers are annoying.

Kssio_Aug

there's no oomph to the weapons, and the audio of the guns is disappointing for me. Not to mention the shooting doesn't feel satisfying when you shoot the enemies. I hated attempting to stab short things more than the shooting though. It was close to impossible.

Also who thought it was a good idea to create a bunch of fast little rat enemy fuckers who are like Sonic the hedgehog fast? Those fuckers are annoying.

I loved the guns audio and the shooting feelings! =o Shoot an enemy with a shotgun is a blast on that game!!

About those tiny enemies I laughed here! lol Yeah, those are pretty annoying. I agree with you on that!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I had to do it a couple of times. I think I realized there must be a sneaky way past this checkpoint I took when the only way I could go forward was to sprint and clear this gap under the bridge that was filled with enemies on the other side.
I ended up on the actual ground beneath the bridge for most of the level. Then I climbed up a ladder at the next checkpoint and headed across the pipes. I had to take out two guards from behind at the *very end* of the level, but that was it.

Hystzen

I liked the Lurkers they cowardly little shits until you have back turned beats just been rushed by watchmen or nosalis change of pace keeping eye in surroundings.

Nuke Soda

Thanks for the advice people, found the pipe path that I missed and got past the level with a lot less frustration. Just got past the
part where you come across random friendlies battling nosalies and then they all die except you and the last guy gives you a tape as he dies.

DOWN

Banned
Played 2033 through and it was great. The atmosphere just never dies and it looked stunning on PS4. I'll start Last Light after I've had some time with Destiny.

misho8723

Banned
Question for those ones who have played through M2033 and LL

Is this some kind of a easter egg for the fans?

P.S. ok, so a better quality of this scene :)
BD59D66FE536DEB978665C9198F2CF51CB903928

misho8723

Banned
Not sure. Those kinda look like the original models though?

Are you playing with .5 SSAA? That looks a bit fuzzzy.

Yes, they are lurkers, but the original models.. in Redux they used the new models from LL, so I don't know why they used the original models once and just for this one moment.. and no, i'm not playing with 0.5 SSAA - it's not my screen :)

How original model for a lurker looks like:
255px-Lurker.jpg

And model from LL:
255px-MLLDEVLurker.png

P.S. I must say that some mutants look scarier in original 2033, than in Redux or LL

DOWN

Banned
Yes, they are lurkers, but the original models.. in Redux they used the new models from LL, so I don't know why they used the original models once and just for this one moment.. and no, i'm not playing with 0.5 SSAA - it's not my screen :)
Looks fuzzy to me too. Maybe Steam hosting the file?

Re: people getting lost in Frontline- there are several audio conversations with guards that will tell you exactly how to take the stealth path through the level, including an explanation on why the path even has white arrows pointing the way.

Nodnol

Eurgh, so I've just got past the Red Line, and onto the lovely boss shortly after.

Only I'm at flashing red health status. Plenty of ammo around, but no health packs. After a few futile attempts, I restart the chapter; can I find any health packs anywhere!? Nope.

Debating whether to go back one chapter or two.

misho8723

Banned
Eurgh, so I've just got past the Red Line, and onto the lovely boss shortly after.

Only I'm at flashing red health status. Plenty of ammo around, but no health packs. After a few futile attempts, I restart the chapter; can I find any health packs anywhere!? Nope.

Debating whether to go back one chapter or two.

What boss?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This outdoor bit in Outpost with the gargoyles and the guards on the highway... Oh god.

Edit: oh wow, that was close. Kind of stumbled into the exit after being picked up and thrown.

Hystzen

This outdoor bit in Outpost with the gargoyles and the guards on the highway... Oh god.

Edit: oh wow, that was close. Kind of stumbled into the exit after being picked up and thrown.

I lucked out on that level a demon swooped down picked me up and dropped me at the steps into bunker dodging all the nazis. No idea how survived fall I should been killed but it only made me critical health and gas mask badly cracked

Having beat them both now back to back, I thought 2033 was pretty good and was clearly a strong vision that benefitted from the polish of Redux, whereas I thought Last Light was fantastic. As far as narrative driven shooters go, I didn't enjoy it quite as much as Wolfenstein which I played recently too, but it really was a special experience.

I can't wait to see what else 4A does.

Hystzen

Metro could work better with a Deus Ex level structure have a hub for the town parts with odd side mission and story parts with mutants or ranger business like last light liner with some different routes.

Cudder

One negative I do have for these games:

As someone who takes it pretty slow and likes enjoying NPC dialogue, it's pretty maddening that even when you take it slow in a corridor or new area, there are like 5 people talking at once from different parts of the room.

I'm not that far on Last Light and one of my main complaints, on forgettable NPC's, is already a bust. Pavel is fucking awesome, what a bro.

edit: welp. (do not read if you havent played it)
never fucking mind. Fuck you Pavel
One negative I do have for these games:

As someone who takes it pretty slow and likes enjoying NPC dialogue, it's pretty maddening that even when you take it slow in a corridor or new area, there are like 5 people talking at once from different parts of the room.
Yeah same here. Doesn't help the subtitles choose one dialogue and that's it.

The
Catacomb
and
Swamp
areas are just plain ass. Uninspired, janky, horde-esque drudgery.

LL just falls apart when you start shooting, I've decided. The movement controls are just so rough.

Now, give me a silenced revolver in a dark corner and the game starts to sing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so glad I got around to playing 2033. I've had it on Steam for years, but I impulse bought Redux on PS4 and finally got around to finishing it.

I don't really understand the story, but man, I really dug the vibe they were going for. I love playing a shooter that actually pushes back a little.

Just finished 2033 redux on the PS4 and I'm shocked that I missed this the first time around. The worldbuilding, graphics, weapons and art are all shockingly good from such an off beat studio. About the only bad thing I can say about it is the shitty English voice acting (particularly all the kids). Look forward to playing through the sequel. This was $50 well spent and I'm happy to support the developers who look to have had a rough go of things lately.

I like my games a little on the tougher side, but not tedious. What settings should I be playing on?

First thing I had to do was turn the controller sensitivity up. Even at max I could use a few more notches.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Just reached the surface in 2033. I'm finding myself very frustrated by the almost active discouragement to exploration. That's like, one of my absolutely favorite things to do in games, but I've got this damn ticking clock with the gas mask filters. And I swear, I stop to look at something, and the fucker I'm following runs off and I don't know where I'm even supposed to go.

Seriously, I paused and checked out an area, the guy yells something about jumping and he'll catch me, then I look around and have no fucking idea where he went.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just reached the surface in 2033. I'm finding myself very frustrated by the almost active discouragement to exploration. That's like, one of my absolutely favorite things to do in games, but I've got this damn ticking clock with the gas mask filters. And I swear, I stop to look at something, and the fucker I'm following runs off and I don't know where I'm even supposed to go.

Seriously, I paused and checked out an area, the guy yells something about jumping and he'll catch me, then I look around and have no fucking idea where he went.
Use your compass! It'll point you in the right direction.

I like my games a little on the tougher side, but not tedious. What settings should I be playing on?

First thing I had to do was turn the controller sensitivity up. Even at max I could use a few more notches.
Yeah the sensitivity in 2033 wasn't high enough for me either. Depends on whether you want to play more actiony or stealthy. Pick Spartan or ... uhh the other one, respectively. Sorry, I am drunk.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The Tower is the first thing in a long while that makes me think I just can't do it. I got through 2033, Last Light, and all of the other DLC chapters without any trouble but this, this is just cruel. Even after hours of attempts, I can only make it to the second wave of the first challenge.

The Tower is the first thing in a long while that makes me think I just can't do it. I got through 2033, Last Light, and all of the other DLC chapters without any trouble but this, this is just cruel. Even after hours of attempts, I can only make it to the second wave of the first challenge.

After reading people in this thread discuss how it's not balanced for a controller, I don't even know if I'll try. There are already numerous sections in 2033/Last Light where the mutant waves + animations feel a bit out of sync with the player's limitations, so I can only imagine what a full on combat challenge would be like.

Give up, breh. Live to fight another day.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
After reading people in this thread discuss how it's not balanced for a controller, I don't even know if I'll try. There are already numerous sections in 2033/Last Light where the mutant waves + animations feel a bit out of sync with the player's limitations, so I can only imagine what a full on combat challenge would be like.

Give up, breh. Live to fight another day.

I already stopped and finished up the Platinum for inFamous First Light. I was just hoping to complete this now so I can mop up the rest of the trophies when I do a Survival Ranger playthrough later on.

I understand your pain. I gave up after a few hours of trying. I did manage to get past the first challenge somehow, though I didn't get very far after that. It feels so much harder than the rest of the game; it's pretty frustrating.

Top Bottom