• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I understand your pain. I gave up after a few hours of trying. I did manage to get past the first challenge somehow, though I didn't get very far after that. It feels so much harder than the rest of the game; it's pretty frustrating.

It would be one thing if it was even fun, but it's not. It's like they took everything that makes these games great and threw it out for The Tower. On top of that, the weapons they give you suck, only the AK is viable and it's ammo runs out too quickly so the boxes of spare ammo run out very fast.

Kssio_Aug

I hope that they ballance that Towe DLC for the console versions. Have not attempted it yeat, but it seems like a general consensus.

I'm getting near the end of Last Light. I just reached Polis and wow I thought 2033 was pretty good,but I definitely prefer Last Light. I liked the atmosphere and story better in this one easily especially the diaries and some of the radio stuff. Fantastic game.

I'm getting near the end of Last Light. I just reached Polis and wow I thought 2033 was pretty good,but I definitely prefer Last Light. I liked the atmosphere and story better in this one easily especially the diaries and some of the radio stuff. Fantastic game.

Gotta agree with this guy, I was expecting the worst after the discussion here, but a lot of my complaints with 2033 dealt with the lackluster side characters and/or villains, not to mention the npc models and voice acting. While the VA work is not amazing still, it's much better in here with the children not all voiced by a high pitched Arnold Schwarzeneger.

The characters have been pretty solid, and the addition of "boss fights", while one was particularly infuriating
fuck that giant shrimp I made it with like 4 seconds to spear of filter
I appreciate the addition regardless. The shooting imho feels a bit more solid this time around, but not quite there up with the good shooters though. We've had less towns to visit this time around if my feelings are correct, but the amount of side characters have made up for it.

I think my biggest gripe is why is Artyom narrating and writing in the diary, and still he refuses to speak in the game? lol

edit: apparently I'm 2/3rds of the way through. I could probably finish this game monday imho and then not have it in my backlog when Destiny comes.

How is PC performance of this game? Better than the original releases?

I can't get a consistent 60FPS on my GTX 780 and the game is fucking ancient by PC game standards. This is with DoF turned off mind you.

Omni

I'm kinda stuck on a part in 2033. No idea where it is in the game as I haven't played it before

You're in a building and you come across this big monster thing. He charges at you and it takes a lot of ammo to take him out. When you do that, you have to drop down in a hole in the floor and there's another one that crashes through a door.

Then I'm pretty sure if you kill that one there's another

how in the world are you supposed to do this. can you skip it or is it just a matter of grinding until you get it?

I'm kinda stuck on a part in 2033. No idea where it is in the game as I haven't played it before

You're in a building and you come across this big monster thing. He charges at you and it takes a lot of ammo to take him out. When you do that, you have to drop down in a hole in the floor and there's another one that crashes through a door.

how in the world are you supposed to do this. can you skip it or is it just a matter of grinding until you get it?

Look it in the eyes.
Deeply. Truly.

Kssio_Aug

You mean
at the library
? The big guys?
If so, then
dont fight 'em. When they look at you stare them in the eyes and move out of their way, if you do that they wont attack you!

You mean
at the library
? The big guys?
If so, then
dont fight 'em. When they look at you stare them in the eyes and move out of their way, if you do that they wont attack you!

If you as a senpai notice them, then they will be happy and leave you alone. Until they want to be noticed again.

Yeah, do what everyone else said, but also...
don't turn your back on them while they're looking at you, or you they'll kill you. And don't make any sudden movements.

-------------------------------------

I'm enjoying the stealth in Last Light more than in 2033, which was already enjoyable. I was in a long room filled with Nazis yesterday, and there was a huge water mill running down the middle of the room...and here I was stealthing it like a ninja, throwing them knives, and I hit one guy and he stumbles back and flops over the bar into the water. His buddy then comes over and leans over the railing and says something like "What was that? I'm sure I heard a splash just now".

It was a cool moment. I didn't expect that to happen.

I really like the stealth in this game. Shooting out the lights, taking people out with well-placed throwing knives, melee attacks, silenced headshots...it's all so satisfying. That room was full of activity when I entered it, and after 20 mins, I looked back, and it was void of almost any light, and everyone was dead. And not one of them saw me.

Felt good.

Balboa

Just had my save corrupted after starting Last Light, got an error near the beginning and it seems to have destroyed my save for both games!
Is this a one off or a common problem? Need to know if it's worth starting again or waiting for a patch. PS4 version

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I think Last Light might have the best looking ventilation shafts I ever seen in a game lol

Last Light's final FMV is pure lol. So B-grade and rushed. The last few hours of the game feel exceptionally rushed, come to think of it.

+ Although quite easy, stealth is fun and satisfying. As others have mentioned, ridding an area of both its pesky light sources and baddies is very enjoyable, even if it is somewhat repetitive and exploitable. This is something that Metro does right; and it's also in no small part to the...
+ Best. Revolvah. Evah. As for the other weapons, they range from awesome (shotgun pistol, Shambler, etc) to shite (Bastard, all of the assault rifles).
+ Nice atmosphere and visuals.

- Far too cinematic for its own good. Too much blatant scripting and funneling.
- Discourages exploration in a borderline insulting way; boxes and invisi-walls everywhere.
- Very mediocre VA on the whole.
- Sloppy, inconsistent animation.
- Shooting mechanics are serviceable and nothing more. Feedback is terrible. The gulf in quality between firing, say, a Kalash at the body and loosing a headshot with the revolver is both astounding and aggravating. 4A know how to make a gun feel good to fire, but they also certainly know how not to... It's a great stealth game with shooting peppered throughout; it's an extremely average set-piece FPS.
- Movement mechanics and accompanying animations are mediocre. Sprinting is janky, jumping is janky, traversal is janky, etc. I don't think it's too far-fetched to say that everything Metro does is not all it should be thanks to jank.
- Worst. Sounding. Assault rifles. Evah.
- Depending on your tolerance for it, there's a lot of B-grade, Euro Dev cheese towards the end.

As you can see, I'm somewhat dark on the game. Its areas of weakness are ones that I, being the type of gamer that I am, consider quite important and worthy of scrutiny. That being said, what it does very well - and even if it is only one thing - is the moment-to-moment stealth gameplay; that alone tips the scale in favour of "I LIKE THIS GAME", but I don't think I'll be playing it again.

Ah, well. 'Twas a decent and cheap distraction until Destiny!

I just got to the part where you
walk through the crashed plane and then get ambushed by a load of monsters
, but I only had 17 seconds of air left in my filter....which makes no sense because I'm the type of person who looks in every nook and cranny for supplies. So...I complete the first ambush, then we jump over a ledge into another area, where we get ambushed again....and by this point I have ZERO air, Artyom is breathing like a madman. Dying.

I run down the stairs into the metro, ignoring the monsters...but the door is locked, so here I am, waiting for the guy to hurry his ass up so we can proceed into the next area, I fall down and presumably die due to lack of oxygen, then the cutscene audio plays while I have a black screen, and luckily, It counted as completing the level.

I have no problem with the gas filter mechanic in this game, as I feel is adds a layer of tension and really helps with immersion...but I'm not fond of being punished for exploring areas for supplies. That part, imo, was poor level design. I should have been sufficiently supplied with filters as I was using the air in my current filter to search for supplies. I almost ended up having to start that entire level over again.

Not cool, Metro, not cool.

Mafro

Playing on PS4 and the ridiculously low stick sensitivity even when turned up full is really annoying, especially when you're surrounded by enemies and can't react quick enough through no fault of your own.

, but I only had 17 seconds of air left in my filter....which makes no sense because I'm the type of person who looks in every nook and cranny for supplies. So...I complete the first ambush, then we jump over a ledge into another area, where we get ambushed again....and by this point I have ZERO air, Artyom is breathing like a madman. Dying.

I run down the stairs into the metro, ignoring the monsters...but the door is locked, so here I am, waiting for the guy to hurry his ass up so we can proceed into the next area, I fall down and presumably die due to lack of oxygen, then the cutscene audio plays while I have a black screen, and luckily, It counted as completing the level.

I have no problem with the gas filter mechanic in this game, as I feel is adds a layer of tension and really helps with immersion...but I'm not fond of being punished for exploring areas for supplies. That part, imo, was poor level design. I should have been sufficiently supplied with filters as I was using the air in my current filter to search for supplies. I almost ended up having to start that entire level over again.

Man, the exact same thing happened to me; same place and everything. Probably died around 5-6 times before it let me through seemingly at random.

It's quite poor that the game can pretty much lock you into a fail-state like that. And you're right, the filter balancing is a mess there; every other time, I have been beyond comfortable in terms of filter time.

d00d3n

If you want to stealth 2033 redux, is it worth it upgrading the revolver with a silencer in the first store? How soon will you find comparable/better stealth weaponry with lots of ammo?

Hystzen

Wait people have filter issues? They thrown everywhere even on surface so you never run out only level they are not is on Echoes level in Last Light but that is on purpose to make you feel on edge. Even on that level you have more then enough to reach end. Playing on hardest difficulty doesn't seem change filter drops always have enough

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
In the Spartan mode I don't think I ever fell below 20 minutes of spare filters ever after accumulating that much early on. They practically coat the levels in them.

Mafro

If you want to stealth 2033 redux, is it worth it upgrading the revolver with a silencer in the first store? How soon will you find comparable/better stealth weaponry with lots of ammo?
I just bought a silencer for the Bastard early on and that served me well. About a third of the way into the game when you get to the Armoury station you'll be able to buy the VSV rifle which has a silencer built in and is a pretty good mid-to-long range gun, especially if you buy the 2x sight for it.

d00d3n

I just bought a silencer for the Bastard early on and that served me well. About a third of the way into the game when you get to the Armoury station you'll be able to buy the VSV rifle which has a silencer built in and is a pretty good mid-to-long range gun, especially if you buy the 2x sight for it.

Thanks!

Man, the exact same thing happened to me; same place and everything. Probably died around 5-6 times before it let me through seemingly at random.

It's quite poor that the game can pretty much lock you into a fail-state like that. And you're right, the filter balancing is a mess there; every other time, I have been beyond comfortable in terms of filter time.

Same here, I just completed the part where
you get the controllable buggy, and you can stop off at various points throughout the tunnel to explore
, and even at the end, when you have to use your gas mask to explore some of the areas, I still had well over 15 minutes at the end of it. The part I described earlier on is the only time I've ever had problems with my filters running out on either games.

One thing I'm liking a lot more about Last Light is the larger focus on human combat. I like the monster sections, as I did on 2033 also, but I love the stealth in this game, so I'm glad to have so many huge areas filled with humans.

legacyzero

Banned

Eventually, you'll get throwing knives, and an air-powered bolt gun too. Great for stealth.

The only weapon I use for stealth is the silenced AK47. I'd rather save my revolver ammo for stronger enemies and take out humans with a single bullet of the plentiful AK ammo.

I also use throwing knives.

And my fists!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
A sequel without the same main character and without a clear transition (or at least I did not get it)
I think you're thinking of the book Metro 2034. Metro 2034 has nothing to do with Artyom.

The book Metro 2035 which will be out in before too much longer will be based off if Last Light.

Hystzen

Same here, I just completed the part where
you get the controllable buggy, and you can stop off at various points throughout the tunnel to explore
, and even at the end, when you have to use your gas mask to explore some of the areas, I still had well over 15 minutes at the end of it. The part I described earlier on is the only time I've ever had problems with my filters running out on either games.

One thing I'm liking a lot more about Last Light is the larger focus on human combat. I like the monster sections, as I did on 2033 also, but I love the stealth in this game, so I'm glad to have so many huge areas filled with humans.

That part where have no filters is on purpose it only part in both games where you meant be desperate. The game tells you hurry up few times in that part with chatter. "I'm running low on filters artyom" etc etc.

That part where have no filters is on purpose it only part in both games where you meant be desperate. The game tells you hurry up few times in that part with chatter. "I'm running low on filters artyom" etc etc.

I get that, and I don't mind being in desperate situations, but this wasn't being in a desperate situation, this was "I have zero air and I'm being introduced to a second horde of enemies...wtf am I supposed to do!?". Lol. The only reason I completed the level was because it bugged and allowed me to complete the level despite being dead on the floor.

Hystzen

I get that, and I don't mind being in desperate situations, but this wasn't being in a desperate situation, this was "I have zero air and I'm being introduced to a second horde of enemies...wtf am I supposed to do!?". Lol. The only reason I completed the level was because it bugged and allowed me to complete the level despite being dead on the floor.

You should only fight a group after that demon attacks after plane sequence. By then it just keep moving behind your bro to the end. I was same when first played it then I actually noticed how fun it is for a change being low on air and thinking crap crap crap.

In other news I got both Bad endings in redux hell yeahhhhh

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
For those stuck on The Tower DLC, have tried this strategy here?
http://www.trueachievements.com/a189116/test-complete-achievement.htm?showguides=1

The video is from the vanilla PC version. But the guy did it on ranger mode. So I guess that maybe on Xbox One setted at Spartan/Normal mode may be doable.

This doesn't help much for people who are struggling on the conse versions. The biggest problem I have with that video is that relies on freakish quick accuracy that just isn't possible on a console.

Some of the strategies are helpful but you are guaranteed to die a lot. It took me so many tries on normal difficulty.

It's one of those things that wasn't properly play tested and should be nerfed on at least normal difficulty, especially the fourth challenge.

The key for the first challenge is to stay on the catwalk and give high priority to soldiers trying to unlock the spawn points. If you can prevent the spawn points from being unlocked you will have a chance.

Bam, Enlightened ending on 2033, couldn't get it the first time I played through the original. Not sure if they made it easier, but I'm glad I got to see it regardless.

HiiiLife

The exact same thing happened to me. I enjoy the tension of having limited air but I couldn't help but feel this particular part was a tad stupid. I never sprinted so maniacally in my life.

I'm curious about the books. Is the story as simplistic as the games or are they more elaborate with more characters?

I know 2033 is based off Artyom, is it too far off from the events of the game? And I hear 2035 will come out, is it based off Last Light or after last light?

I'm curious about the books. Is the story as simplistic as the games or are they more elaborate with more characters?

I know 2033 is based off Artyom, is it too far off from the events of the game? And I hear 2035 will come out, is it based off Last Light or after last light?

The story is very different in the game from the novel. Artyom is just a kid who relies on other people to survive, sometimes to an infuriating degree. He is never sent to D6, either, since he's not experienced enough. Most stations have different names, as well.

There's some interesting other stuff, like a cult and two old guys telling stories, but I wouldn't exactly call it better than the game.

2034 I haven't read, but it's supposedly a side story. 2035 is based on Last Light.

The story is very different in the game from the novel. Artyom is just a kid who relies on other people to survive, sometimes to an infuriating degree. He is never sent to D6, either, since he's not experienced enough. Most stations have different names, as well.

There's some interesting other stuff, like a cult and two old guys telling stories, but I wouldn't exactly call it better than the game.

2034 I haven't read, but it's supposedly a side story. 2035 is based on Last Light.

Hmmmm. Kind of brought down my interest. I've read too many 'relying on others' post-apocalyptic stories, and if it's infuriating then I might pass. I guess I can wait for the eventual next game if it ever happens.

I'm officially stuck.

Just finished the depository, and now I ran out of ammo right before being sent into the blast door. Spiders everywhere and I can't fight back. :

Assuming this is 2033 you're talking about you're stuck in a tough spot because I'm pretty sure you don't get to buy more ammo at any time after this point. So you might have to reload. At the end of the game during the last sequence I was out of every bullet type and I was forced to use the military grade bullets, and that's with having a decent amount of ammo at that point. I think my mistake was
not taking the flamethrower
since they seem to give you a decent amount of ammo for that throughout the levels.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Has anyone ran into any freezing and loading issues on PS4, I've just deleted and reinstalled and still can't get to the title screen, on top that my modem is playing up, so I have no psn too.

HiiiLife

Just did the swamp on Last Light. That was nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be. Unless I'm thinking of a different swamp.

Just did the swamp on Last Light. That was nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be. Unless I'm thinking of a different swamp.

I think most people consider it hard during the second section because if they're like me they were running out of filters. I literally beat the second swamp area with like 10 or so seconds to spare before the cutscene end. And before that I died a bunch of times and had to resort to seeing walkthroughs because I needed to know locations of filters cause in the opening section i was already with 3 seconds left.

HiiiLife

I think most people consider it hard during the second section because if they're like me they were running out of filters. I literally beat the second swamp area with like 10 or so seconds to spare before the cutscene end. And before that I died a bunch of times and had to resort to seeing walkthroughs because I needed to know locations of filters cause in the opening section i was already with 3 seconds left.

See for whatever reason I had an abundance of filters. Playing on ranger hardcore right now. If anything the sense of direction is what bugged me. Didn't realize I could find the other fuel drums in the plane.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Hmmmm. Kind of brought down my interest. I've read too many 'relying on others' post-apocalyptic stories, and if it's infuriating then I might pass. I guess I can wait for the eventual next game if it ever happens.

Id suggest reading the books for yourself. I have and enjoyed them for what they are. Though expect typos and whatnots if its the digital copies you secure from amazon.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
See for whatever reason I had an abundance of filters. Playing on ranger hardcore right now. If anything the sense of direction is what bugged me. Didn't realize I could find the other fuel drums in the plane.

Same thing happened with me. I just got lost and fell in the water a lot while exploring so I was turned around when I got out. I'll probably enjoy it more on a replay.

Top Bottom