• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Ok, this is the first time I'm really stuck.

I'm in the
Heavy Gravitation
area on my way to
Sector 0
and need to cross a large gap. Using double jumps does not help because the gravitation is pulling me down. No idea what to do. Am I just being stupid or is this really tough to find out? If so, please give me a subtle hint.

wsippel

Banned
kiryogi said:
You are correct. But it wasn't only the directing, I believe I recall Sakamoto handpicked folk weren't as professional? Samus is meant to be socially awkward considering her lifestyle and past. So yes as flat and horrible it may seem, that's who Samus really is.

To quote further. Here's what Sakamoto had to say for when picking the JP actress
Jessica Martin is a professional stage actor, though.

schennmu said:

I'm in the
Heavy Gravitation
area on my way to
Sector 0
and need to cross a large gap. Using double jumps does not help because the gravitation is pulling me down. No idea what to do. Am I just being stupid or is this really tough to find out? If so, please give me a subtle hint.
Space Jumps work in this area, but the timing is different. Mashing 2 fast should do the trick.

gogojira

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I'm about two hours in, and the script is horseshit. I'm actually embarrassed for Sakamoto. Samus' inner monologue reads like a high school fanfic, no exaggeration.

Gameplay is a bit more of a mixed bag. It's a weird hodgepodge of mechanics. Hard to believe the goal here was simple intuitive controls, because this is much, much, much more convoluted than any of the 2D games.

I will say it's good to see some old school enemies properly represented in 3D though. The flora and fauna definitely feel more metroid-y to me than the Prime series.

I'm damn near the end now and it gets better as you go along from a gameplay perspective. You become a ball of death, like any good Metroid and you get a sense of power unmatched in the Prime trilogy ... until the inner monologues portray her as weak.

It's weird because the the bits that don't involve exploring Samus' character and inner thoughts are alright. I'd rather there not be an intrusive story, but at the very least I find it interesting.

But fuck, Sakamato's obsession with portraying Samus as this delicate being is weird and shows her in a light so opposed to what she's been in the past. Only being two hours in, you honestly haven't seen the worst of it. You've seen some cringeworthy shit, yes, but it really doesn't stop there.

It's sad because chronologically speaking, we're supposed to believe this is a Samus after Super Metroid. Fuck that.

At the very least, Metroid Prime portrayed her as a goddamn space warrior. It got a little janky when the lame ass other hunters got involved in Corruption, but you got to kill them and Samus never explored her deepest emotions of how the other hunters made her feel insecure, alone. No hearts were fucking pierced, that's for sure.

It's all pretty sad because had I not cringed repeatedly at Sakamoto's poorly written Samus script, I would be solely focused on the quality of the game, which while not perfect, is damn good. It's more action heavy than I'd like, but where I'm at most creatures are simply fodder.

Tritroid

EatChildren said:
Same. In fact, its blatantly obvious Samus' actress is high quality, and that all the problems lie in the writing and likely voice directing. If I recall correctly from some interview, the voice actress for Samus (both regions) was directed to sound flat and emotionally guarded. She's doing it here, and doing her best to salvage the dialogue, but every slip up is just the convoluted writing. Which, again, is in no way worse than the crap in every single Metal Gear Solid title.
I agree with this. During narration segments, the actress definitely speaks with flat, almost forced, monotone and you can tell it was somewhat of a struggle for her to pull off. During scenes where she's communicating with Adam or the other soldiers, she can pull off some pretty damn good acting (
The flashback cutscene where Adam is forced to make the decision to kill his younger brother for example; That was a pretty good instance where the actress showed off some awesome skill.
)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
gogojira said:
At the very least, Metroid Prime portrayed her as a goddamn space warrior. It got a little janky when the lame ass other hunters got involved in Corruption, but you got to kill them and Samus never explored her deepest emotions of how the other hunters made her feel insecure, alone. No hearts were fucking pierced, that's for sure.

This is a problem I'm seeing in a lot of people; you're applying an idea to Samus that was never there. Metroid Prime did not portray her as a goddamn space warrior. Metroid Prime didn't portray Samus as anything. She was an mute without any character.

Obviously this makes some impact on people as, like yourself, they craft their own image of Samus. But Samus not expressing emotion after killing the other hunters was not an expression of character but instead simply not part of the game. The Prime games, and every Metroid other than Fusion and Other M, dont make any effort to put a narrative on Samus' character.

So this idea of Samus that so many have, and are not seeing in Other M, is almost 100% a fabrication out of nothing. You, them, we've all taken an empty template and filled it with our own concept and imagery of who Samus is as a character.

The problem isn't that Samus doesn't match an already established idea of Samus. There was no established character. The problem is that going from a blank template that has dominated six games to something so specific is going to clash with the imagination of fans.

wsippel

Banned
gogojira said:
I'm damn near the end now and it gets better as you go along from a gameplay perspective. You become a ball of death, like any good Metroid and you get a sense of power unmatched in the Prime trilogy ... until the inner monologues portray her as weak.
I guess you're either not all that close to the end then, or you have a weird definition of a weak charakter.

Tritroid

Just got to
Ridley
last night.
I really didn't know 'little birdie' was him...wasn't expecting that at all. I really enjoyed that whole segment though, from Samus' reaction to the fight itself and the godly music.

I think it's extremely too obvious however
who Madelin Bergman is. I mean come on, MB? I knew that even before it was spelled out that the Federation had recreated an AI replacement for Mother Brain.

Haunted

This game hits some really fucking high.. uh highs once you get the Wave Beam, imo.

The later parts have some of the best Metroidin' I've done in like, decades.
Also, best shinesparking ever and the gravity areas are awesome, really showing off some clever level design on both counts. Sakamoto definitely out-metroid'd Shadow Complex there.

gogojira

wsippel said:
I guess you're either not all that close to the end then, or you have a weird definition of a weak charakter.

Adam just went bye-bye on Tourian, somewhere I wish Samus would've went because I wanted to take retread those grounds.

In my time playing, in-game enemy shredding Samus turns into sappy mess anytime the word Adam is mentioned.

Edit: Not a good time to strike up an argument so I'll refrain for now. Off to work.

wsippel

Banned
Tritroid said:
I think it's extremely too obvious however
who Madelin Bergman is. I mean come on, MB? I knew that even before it was spelled out that the Federation had recreated an AI replacement for Mother Brain.
Madeline Bergman is not Mother Brain.

Tritroid

wsippel said:
Madeline Bergman is not Mother Brain.
:eek:

Well, unless you mean technically speaking no, but she's still the AI replacement for her...yes?

Nevermind, don't tell me. :lol

robor

EatChildren said:
This is a problem I'm seeing in a lot of people; you're applying an idea to Samus that was never there. Metroid Prime did not portray her as a goddamn space warrior. Metroid Prime didn't portray Samus as anything. She was an mute without any character.

Obviously this makes some impact on people as, like yourself, they craft their own image of Samus. But Samus not expressing emotion after killing the other hunters was not an expression of character but instead simply not part of the game. The Prime games, and every Metroid other than Fusion and Other M, dont make any effort to put a narrative on Samus' character.

So this idea of Samus that so many have, and are not seeing in Other M, is almost 100% a fabrication out of nothing. You, them, we've all taken an empty template and filled it with our own concept and imagery of who Samus is as a character.

The problem isn't that Samus doesn't match an already established idea of Samus. There was no established character. The problem is that going from a blank template that has dominated six games to something so specific is going to clash with the imagination of fans.

And BAM there it is.

Another note is the developers intentions. The Metroid series has been by and large a chain of experiments, that is why such things like SM are so great, because each iteration keeps pushing for something else beyond the established core designs. There is not one identical Metroid game in the whole franchise, this is why it's such a beautiful beautiful thing.

heringer

gogojira said:

It's all pretty sad because had I not cringed repeatedly at Sakamoto's poorly written Samus script, I would be solely focused on the quality of the game, which while not perfect, is damn good. It's more action heavy than I'd like, but where I'm at most creatures are simply fodder.
Not entirely true. Yeah, they never got very deep into her emotions, but the ending does show her
siting alone in Skytown remembering the Hunters and feeling sad because of them.
There's also a moment right after she
kills one of them (can't remember which one) that shows her closing her hand very tightly (do you have an expression to that gesture? I dunno) alluding to her sadness.

So yeah, it's not like she
killed them without giving a shit.

Haunted

Just so I'm having a bit of balance in this thread, the game would be much better if they just flat-out removed Samus' inner monologues. Her interaction with the other characters is absolutely fine, maybe a bit excessive as far as traditional Metroid goes, but with the groundwork laid out in Corruption (which I absolutely loved), it doesn't feel too out of place.

But those monologues... man. Amateurishly voiced, badly written, tedious and just borderline insulting in how they feel the need to explain everything down to the last letter, even when things are laid out plainly in the images already. I'd mute them if I could, and I believe nothing would be lost as far as comprehension ability or characterisation goes while atmosphere and immersion would gain a lot.

edit: also, rarely has a game transitioned so beautifully and seamlessly between in-game and CGI. Great stuff. I haven't rewatched some of the cutscenes but I suspect they've actually used a couple frames of in-game graphics in the videos to make the transitions as perfect as possible. And it works.

heringer said:
Not quite true. Yeah, they never got very deep into her emotions, but the ending does show her
siting alone in Skytown remembering the Hunters and feeling sad because of them.
There's also a moment right after she
kill one of them (can't remember which one) that shows her closing her hand very tightly (do you have an expression to that gesture? I dunno) alluding her sadness.

So yeah, it's not like she
killed them without giving a shit.
Yep, yep. It's all there if you just look closely enough. A similar scene in Metroid M
just has her just flat-out stating what she's thinking instead of letting her subtle and quiet body language speak for itself. And having this read to the audience from a script like a 3rd-grader doesn't help! It's pretty bad.

Haunted

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I'm about two hours in, and the script is horseshit. I'm actually embarrassed for Sakamoto. Samus' inner monologue reads like a high school fanfic, no exaggeration.

Gameplay is a bit more of a mixed bag. It's a weird hodgepodge of mechanics. Hard to believe the goal here was simple intuitive controls, because this is much, much, much more convoluted than any of the 2D games.

I will say it's good to see some old school enemies properly represented in 3D though. The flora and fauna definitely feel more metroid-y to me than the Prime series.
Agreed.

Funnily enough though, this actually ends up being in our (long time fans and core gamers) favour, because when this relatively complicated system of 3rd person and 1st person switching actually clicks, it really clicks.

schennmu said:

I'm in the
Heavy Gravitation
area on my way to
Sector 0

Don't let me down GAF

Desiato

I'm still just at the beginning, but I really like it. The game oozes with atmosphere, and the music kind of reminds me of Dead Space.

kiryogi said:
Just started up Hard mode and ran thru it for a bit. Oh man. The boss in Sector 3 was a giant PITA. I know it's no comparison to whats ahead. Only 3 hits to survive. But man some of it's behavior was so hard to predict. Couldn't tell when to jump or dodge correctly :lol I'm up to Sector 2 now.

And another gameplay note... for those that have finished or maybe at least gotten to sector 2

Anyone know if you can do Lethal Strikes or Overblast on that fanged wolf creatures? It seems like all you can do is blast them and missile them

Donkey_show: Fucking badass at your videos. I am not looking forward to that :lol

Thanks man! That battle was the most nerve wracking out of all of them. :lol Good luck, cuz you'll need it. =P

Also, I don't think you can lethal strike/overblast those enemies.

So I have 4 boss battle vids up, so spoilers if you're not careful:

Normal mode -
Phantoon
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM9FSZ9mm-I
Hard mode -
Ridley
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuPMcdmwUV0
Hard mode -
Nightmare
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpBn4zHEP1g
Hard mode -
Queen Metroid
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4hhCT9L5Xg

wsippel said:

ImNotLikeThem said:
Just to make sure you are aware, space jump is not just a double jump, it keeps going as long as you keep jumping.

Hmmm, I'm talking about the area with
extremely strong gravitation (not anti grav)
, so I don't think that works. But maybe my execution is off? And yeah, I meant space jumping, not double jumping. I will try again later, thx.

schennmu said:
Hmmm, I'm talking about the area with
extremely strong gravitation (not anti grav)
, so I don't think that works. But maybe my execution is off? And yeah, I meant space jumping, not double jumping. I will try again later, thx.
If it is the part where you need to
grapple up to be able to wall jump up to the platform, and then run left over to a big gap, then yes, your execution is off. you need to jump faster to compensate for the extra gravity.
mash mash mash the 2 button.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Did the update, but I can't get the game to start. Keep getting disk errors. :(

EatChildren said:
:lol at the cutscene and dialogue hate. Its no fucking worse than Metal Gear Solid.

Though, really, that isn't saying much.

Yeah, I think you answered your own statement there already :/ It really is only marginally better than Metal Gear Solid, but considering MGS4 was so embarrassingly bad in the writing department it means nothing at all. Come now!

evangd007

EatChildren said:

Amen brother. The complaints about the betrayal of Samus's character is like when the Harry Potter fandom complained about The Deathly Hallows because it deviated from the "canon" in their fanfics.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
JasoNsider said:
Yeah, I think you answered your own statement there already :/ It really is only marginally better than Metal Gear Solid, but considering MGS4 was so embarrassingly bad in the writing department it means nothing at all. Come now!

Yeah, I know. Its moreso listening to the reviews hur dur on how bad the cutscenes and dialogue are, yet never, ever bringing up similar complaints against the MGS franchise. I guess I went in expecting something much worse than what we've got.

Anyway, my thoughts on the gameplay so far is that it's really good. Definitely feels similar to Fusion in its lineerity, but as a whole is unmistakably 'Metroid'. I can totally see why people wont like it, or be disappointed, but as much as I'd like Prime 4 and Super Metroid 2 I'm also eager for something fresh. So far, Other M is without a doubt 'Metroid', but in the same way that Prime did many of its own things so does this.

And, for what it's worth, I'm enjoying it more than Fusion. Fusion was fantastic, but I almost feel like the linearity of the gameplay works much better here. It also helps that the boss fights are actually good.

So I'm not like 9 - 10 hours in and pretty close to the end of the game so I thought I would give my impressions.

Story : The story is no where's near as bad as people on the internet have made it seem. I also do not get where the complaints of it being sexist are coming from, in the slightest. I don't know Abbie whatever her name is who wrote that review. So I don't know if she's overly sensitive, stupid, or just looking for attention, but it has to be one of those. I haven't walked away from this feeling Samus was a "frail weak woman" in the slightest. I've walked away with man some things have fucked Samus up emotionally big time. That happens to everyone, I know Marines who went to war and came back completely fucked up. Like others have said I think the problem is that people had this image of who Samus was in their heads. Only because we've never been privy to her thought process before. Who knows how other battles with certain foes have effected her in the past, we just don't know cause we weren't shown that. I think people are just over reacting because the character isn't what they expected. Yeah the game does have some dialog problems, which feels like typical Japanese over wordy writing. I don't know how much freedom the localization team had on this but it would have been nice if they could changed how things were worded more.

Gameplay : Fucking awesome. I've had no problem with holding the Wiimote sideways to play this, and the D-pad controls work perfectly for it. Maybe it's because I've played NSMBW, and Wario, and some other stuff that have used the controller that way in the past that I'm more used to it. Same with the first person aiming, I've had no issues with it what so ever. It's not something you should/have to use all the time. I really only use it here and there. You have to be quick with it. I'm loving the combat. You really have to get good at dodging, and doing lethal strikes. Once you get that stuff down though, you're jumping around and killing shit left and right like a total bad ass. I'm really not bothered by the authorization thing. It's how military shit goes. It makes sense to me. From a gameplay perspective it's really no different than walking into a room and finding an object. Which she couldn't do here anyway. This isn't a world the Chozo once in habited, this is a space station built by the GF. There's still plenty of Missle and energy expansions hidden through out the game to find. Not all of them are marked on the map either, I've found quite a few that weren't.

Cutscenes : Really well done. I have to give the team who did them credit, they look really good. I hope once you beat the game there's an option for watching them.

Overall right now I'd give the game like an 8 - 8.5 out of 10. It's not perfect, and it has some flaws, but overall its been fun, and a fine entry in the series. I can't see how any one can call this not a metroid game and call Hunters one.

A question for those who have 100%ed the game.
There's a missle expansion in sector 3, where you drop down a long shaft and have to space jump over lava to it. I wall jump off the one side but unlike any other area I space jump across it seems to pull me down into the lava. I've tried timing my jumps super fast like during the gravity section but that doesn't seem to work either. Any thoughts from folks who have 100%ed it.

scitek

EatChildren said:

Actually, she does reflect on the other hunters in one of the endings. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw7fA-umoio&feature=related

Shin Johnpv said:
A question for those who have 100%ed the game.
There's a missle expansion in sector 3, where you drop down a long shaft and have to space jump over lava to it. I wall jump off the one side but unlike any other area I space jump across it seems to pull me down into the lava. I've tried timing my jumps super fast like during the gravity section but that doesn't seem to work either. Any thoughts from folks who have 100%ed it.
Can you see the item you're looking for? I can't really get a clear picture of where it's at in my head right now. Perhaps a couple more specifics, if you don't mind.

sdornan

Metroid Other M, written by Stephanie Meyer

I'm not bothered by them deviating away from the previous games, as I never had a strong attachment to the Metroid universe in the first place. What does bother me is terrible writing with awkward phrasing and the complete overuse of adjectives.

ImNotLikeThem said:
If it is the part where you need to
grapple up to be able to wall jump up to the platform, and then run left over to a big gap, then yes, your execution is off. you need to jump faster to compensate for the extra gravity.
mash mash mash the 2 button.

Yes, it's that part. THX!!!

scitek

sdornan said:
Metroid Other M, written by Stephanie Meyer

I'm not bothered by them deviating away from the previous games, as I never had a strong attachment to the Metroid universe in the first place. What does bother me is terrible writing with awkward phrasing and the complete overuse of adjectives.

I wish they'd have rewritten the script for the English VAs. I know they wanted to keep it as close to Sakamoto's original writing as possible, and probably save some money, so they probably just translated it and handed it off for reading, but that really wasn't a good idea. :lol

mantidor

EatChildren said:

While I agree to some extend, the Prime games did have characterization, mostly from outside parties. The logs from the pirates show her as someone relenteless and highly effective in killing them. The logs of the federation soldiers show for her admiration, and the cutscenes show her emotions in a very subtle way. The one that always made an impact in me, and is my favorite, was the way she looked at dark samus in echoes when you finally beat her.

She wasn't entirely a blank template, and the little they showed was portraying someone that seems completely different from the one in Other M, specially because Other M is a sequel to all but one game, if it were a prequel it wouldn't clash as hard.

Since I still have to play the game, maybe my opinion will change, but what I've seen, which is admitedly very little, gives me that impression.

EatChildren

mantidor said:
She wasn't entirely a blank template, and the little they showed was portraying someone that seems completely different from the one in Other M, specially because Other M is a sequel to all but one game, if it were a prequel it wouldn't clash as hard.

There is absolutely nothing in Other M, so far for me (and I'm under the impression I'm very far in the game), that clashes with any of the so called character building of any previous Metroid game, including all the scanned logs from all three Prime games.

Its an overblown non-issue. For all we know, Sakamoto may have envisioned this Samus very, very early on. What happened is that much of Samus, over the years, has been a blank canvas for fans. Yes, there are hints here and there, but nothing to the extent of Other M. Fans painted their picture of Samus, and now that Other M hits they're finding its a completely different picture.

I dont blame them, because I did the same thing. Other M's Samus is not entirely the Samus I pictured. But that doesn't really matter, because the Samus that's here still doesn't technically clash with anything, and doesn't really devalue her character.

Anybody throwing around terms like 'sexist' are the ones most hurt, as obvious from their irrational knee jerk reaction.

scitek said:
I think the Prime games are being ignored by Sakamoto. :|

This too.

scitek

mantidor said:
While I agree to some extend, the Prime games did have characterization, mostly from outside parties. The logs from the pirates show her as someone relenteless and highly effective in killing them. The logs of the federation soldiers show for her admiration, and the cutscenes show her emotions in a very subtle way. The one that always made an impact in me, and is my favorite, was the way she looked at dark samus in echoes when you finally beat her.

Since I still have to play the game, maybe my opinion will change, but what I've seen, which is admitedly very little, gives me that impression.

I think the Prime games are being ignored by Sakamoto. :|

donkey show said:
Can you see the item you're looking for? I can't really get a clear picture of where it's at in my head right now. Perhaps a couple more specifics, if you don't mind.

So the item in question is a missile upgrade. You drop down a long shaft, and normally you would jump to the right halfway down the shaft and roll into a gateway that's partially open to get into another hallway. If you drop down all the way though you have a long pool of Lava on your left, and right before the lava is like a gate, like those cheap metal fences. You can jump up and then wall jump off the metal fence/gate thing and you're supposed to space jump across over the lava to reach the missile expansion. For some reason though she doesn't space jump level and each jump she falls further and further down like the lava is pulling her towards it. So every time I reach the ledge that the missile expansion is on I'm too far down and can't get on it.

robor said:
Your review was quite positive, I was wondering what the flaws are in your eyes?

I'm not a fan of the limited energy recharge, and enemies not dropping missile/health recharge units. It wasn't a game breaker or anything like that for me, and I could handle doing the concentration thing during most boss fights. I just wasn't a fan of it. Maybe if the concentration gave you back more health
I'm at the end and can only recharge 2 my main bar and 2 more units
or if it allowed you to recharge energy when ever you wanted to, I would have liked it more I think.

The forced over the shoulder sections were kind of a pain as well. Though mostly because of how slow you moved during them. There's one section where you go in and out of that a bunch of times, and it felt like it took so long to get through just because of how slow they had Samus walking then. I get what they were going for with it, I just would have liked to have been able to move a bit faster.

Like I said too I think the story/dialog wouldn't be getting such negative feedback if they had re-written the dialog to flow, and have the pacing of I guess say a native English speaker, if that makes sense. It didn't bother as much as others, but I think it would have definitely helped the story if they had done that.

And then just the same flaw I saw in Fusion, and that's just the linearity of it. I didn't think it was as bad as Fusion, where they actually lock you off at times from going to other areas of the world. I was still able to say ohh shit with this ability I can not grab that item I saw back in such and such sector, and could go do that before going where the game wanted me to. Although I did notice if you did that, you ran into more now loading spots on doors. It seems that the game loads upcoming sections based on where its telling you to go and not on where you're actually heading. It seemed when I would follow the story path I didn't run into any doors that took a few seconds to open, but if I went to back track to an item I could now get, I definitely ran into them.

wsippel

Banned
mantidor said:
While I agree to some extend, the Prime games did have characterization, mostly from outside parties. The logs from the pirates show her as someone relenteless and highly effective in killing them. The logs of the federation soldiers show for her admiration, and the cutscenes show her emotions in a very subtle way.
It's no different in Other M. In fact, I actually kind of enjoy that setup. She's an extremely powerful and dangerous individual, but she's not a generic, cold blooded killing machine. It's a bit heavy handed early on in the game, but that changes as the story progresses, at least in my opinion. And I'm not even sure her personality really changes all that much, I think the players perception changes as he understands her motives better.

Shin Johnpv said:
So the item in question is a missile upgrade. You drop down a long shaft, and normally you would jump to the right halfway down the shaft and roll into a gateway that's partially open to get into another hallway. If you drop down all the way though you have a long pool of Lava on your left, and right before the lava is like a gate, like those cheap metal fences. You can jump up and then wall jump off the metal fence/gate thing and you're supposed to space jump across over the lava to reach the missile expansion. For some reason though she doesn't space jump level and each jump she falls further and further down like the lava is pulling her towards it. So every time I reach the ledge that the missile expansion is on I'm too far down and can't get on it.
Ah! I know what you're talking about. You're doing the right thing, but I think you're initial jump off the wall is too low. Space jump before you wall bounce off the grate. If you can hit the wall at the apex of a space jump, you should have enough height to clear the wall you're trying to get past. And make sure you're mashing your space jump over that lava flow so you don't lose too much height.

Gouken

Banned
Is anyone having a problem running "Metroid Other M"? i just bought a U.S copy of the game and it doesn't run on my U.S Wii machine. i called the store and they said some copies have problems running properly. every time i insert the game i get a "cannot read disc" error. i even tried it on my daughters PAL Wii and it's giving me the same problem.

The thing is it's a U.S game, but the back cover writing is in english, french and spanish, and it says "Made in USA" and the strange part is it also says "For sale and use in Malaysia, Singapore, UAE and Saudi Arabia" wtf?

edit: my wii is un-moded and it plays other game discs perfectly fine.

Gouken said:
Is anyone having a problem running "Metroid Other M"? i just bought a U.S copy of the game and it doesn't run on my U.S Wii machine. i called the store and they said some copies have problems running properly. every time i insert the game i get a "cannot read disc" error. i even tried it on my daughters PAL Wii and it's giving me the same problem.

The thing is it's a U.S game, but the back cover writing is in english, french and spanish, and it says "Made in USA" and the strange part is it also says "For sale and use in Malaysia, Singapore, UAE and Saudi Arabia" wtf?

edit: my wii is un-moded and it plays other game discs perfectly fine.
I heard launch units are having an issue playing it, although mine hasn't seen any problems. Is that what you have?

Gouken

Banned
donkey show said:
I heard launch units are having an issue playing it, although mine hasn't seen any problems. Is that what you have?

well i guess, i bought my Wii 6 months after it was introduced. i read online that the wii has a problem running dual layer disc, but then again MP Trilogy and SSBB are dual discs and they run perfectly fine on my unit. :(

Top Bottom