• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Alright I need a little help. 4 1/2 hours in.

So I just met up with my team
past the Biosphere simulation area, it's one of the stupid over the shoulder slow walking parts. Maurice is on the computer and I think Higs told me to follow him but I can't go any further than the save room. Both exits seem to be closed.
It's a total pain in the ass walking around so slow and not knowing where to go. This is one of those things that hold this game back from greatness.

when i got my first energy tank, and didn't hear the exciting metroid chime, i gotta say i was pretty bummed out

so far, i can't say i've really had bigtime fun with the game, most of the time i'm just sort of noticing things that bother me...

it's a good game, but it's no metroid so far

scitek

I invited Abbie Heppe to do a podcast talking about the game, but she declined because she's too busy. :lol Thanks anyway, Abbie.

scitek said:
I think a cutscene interrupts the fight if you just survive long enough.
LOL. That's what I had thought initially... but in Hard Mode, I didn't have the luxury of 75 missiles and several e-tanks at the ready. :lol

Snuggler said:
Alright I need a little help. 4 1/2 hours in.

That's weird. You should be able to move past the save point.

Snuggler said:
Yeah, it won't let me save and the door is red and won't open or let me scan it.

Damn.
Restart and try again? On my multiple playthroughs, I don't even talk to anyone. I just slow walk to where ever I had to go.

scitek said:
I invited Abbie Heppe to do a podcast talking about the game, but she declined because she's too busy. :lol Thanks anyway, Abbie.

:lol I think she knows that she messed up big time. Possibly the worst review of the year.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
donkey show said:
Restart and try again? On my multiple playthroughs, I don't even talk to anyone. I just slow walk to where ever I had to go.

Ah I got it.
I guess I had to save first, which I tried to do but I must not have been holding the 'mote straight up enough or something.

It's the game's fault.

Fuck fuck fuck! Fuck you seur delivery man, he wants to get kicked out of job becuase he wants a compensation (instead of leaving the job), so he is doing his work badly and havent delvered the nintendo products to the store where I had the game.
Motherfucker, I hope they sue you! In Spain, we are pretty stupid, but when its something about money they want to get smart and try to get advantage from the system. We are fucking thieves!

Teknoman

The over the shoulder sections dont seem that slow to me. She definitely moves at a decent speed...but I guess compared to dashing all over the place beforehand, it could throw some people off.

Red

Teknoman said:
The over the shoulder sections dont seem that slow to me. She definitely moves at a decent speed...but I guess compared to dashing all over the place beforehand, it could throw some people off.
My problem is that they're so unnecessary. Why not just give the player full control for those sequences? It doesn't change the narrative, it just makes walking down hallways a chore.

Desiato

This game is the shit. Pure Metroid goodness with some badass fighting thrown in for good measure. I feel so sorry for the people that don't like this game.

Boney

Banned
schennmu said:
:lol I think she knows that she messed up big time. Possibly the worst review of the year.
Nah, I'd decline as well. It's only gonna get her hate from obsesive fans. Not worth it.

Crunched said:
My problem is that they're so unnecessary. Why not just give the player full control for those sequences? It doesn't change the narrative, it just makes walking down hallways a chore.

It's so epic and immersive
I agree, total bullshit. Well, at least there seems to be only one part where it's annoying

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Fuck fuck fuck! Fuck you seur delivery man, he wants to get kicked out of job becuase he wants a compensation (instead of leaving the job), so he is doing his work badly and havent delvered the nintendo products to the store where I had the game.
Motherfucker, I hope they sue you! In Spain, we are pretty stupid, but when its something about money they want to get smart and try to get advantage from the system. We are fucking thieves!

:lol Spain, never change!

Boney said:
Nah, I'd decline as well. It's only gonna get her hate from obsesive fans. Not worth it.

I think she got enough hate already. Why not stand up to your word? Sad thing is that this gave G4 a shit ton of hits, so they are probably pretty happy with it.

Finally played it last night. And I don't know guys, but it's not getting to me. As a longtime fan of the series (my favorite series other than Zelda and Street Fighter), I feel torn.

I don't know what to say about it, to be honest.

The funny thing is it's not the cut-scenes or even Samus' monotone voice-acting that's throwing me off. It's the gameplay that's a bit jarring right now. I will say one thing: the first person aiming is horrible. It's useful when you look around for items or routes, but it's absolutely atrocious whenever I try to hit something with a missile.

That's all I'm going to say. I still want to try my best to like this game and get into it, but like Samus' beauty mark that feels out of place, it's really taking some effort to get used to it.

I will play more today and see how I feel about it afterward. I keep reading everyone saying the first few hours is horrible than it opens up. I guess I need to keep playing it and find out for myself.

demonkaze

Quick question, I've just recieved my PAL copy of the game and I have a WII with homebrew on it, how would I play this on it? I tried running it via the disc channel but it just gives me a black screen. Would I have to run this through Neogammer or something, that's a pain if so.

The Hermit

Oh boy... I really don't care about the story but the gameplay is classic Metroid. I am loving it! :D

Just beated "you know who" and I am kinda sad cause it feels its quite close to the end and I have just barelly clocked 6 hours :/

Door2Dawn

Banned
I'm stuck at the part where
You jump down the tree looking thing and the camera switches to 3rd person view. Where do I have to look to move forward?

Door2Dawn said:
I'm stuck at the part where
You jump down the tree looking thing and the camera switches to 3rd person view. Where do I have to look to move forward?
Look for some brown pill bug looking things on the ground

heringer

I'm kinda baffled now that I remember the IGN and Gamespot videos when the guy just couldn't pull of the overblast move. I mean, seriously? It's so easy to do it that it's almost a win button against some enemies. :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh man I just got attacked by
the Crazy Chicken. Man down :(.

I look forward to fighting that thing for real. This environment is awesome btw.

Boney

Banned
It boggles my mind that some of you have problems with the missiles. It feels so good spamming 3 missiles and bam, bye bye stuff.

Maybe I'm a consumer whore and apologist that likes to be raped in the ass... i don't know...

Gino

So far my only complaint about the game is the dialog.

The gameplay is awesome and feels fully like metroid to me.

I'm loving it.

BigAT

This may have been asked already, but I've been avoiding discussion on the game up until now. Does anyone know who voices Samus?

Also, I can't look at Anthony without cracking up due to whoever had that goofy avatar of his visor going up and down.

scitek

Boney said:
She might get that reaction from the lunatic fringe, i.e. the people that leave the comments, but I'd love to have a serious discussion with her about it. Not a debate, but just a friendly conversation. But she has to go and be a woman about it.
Kidding

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Boney said:
It boggles my mind that some of you have problems with the missiles. It feels so good spamming 3 missiles and bam, bye bye stuff.

Maybe I'm a consumer whore and apologist that likes to be raped in the ass... i don't know...

Yeah, I find it kind of difficult in hectic fights with several enemies or at least one fast enemy, it can be tough and frustrating to pull off a shot in that tiny window of opportunity.
but most of the time, this isn't the case. You just have to put some distance between you and the target and it works OK. I'd prefer a lock on system but I'm getting used to it.

The first person stuff is great outside of combat, it really does make sense. With the fixed camera angles it would be really difficult to spot some of the stuff like morph ball holes but being able to scan the environments for them makes it pretty intuitive.

scitek said:

IMHO she's now realizing either how stupid she was, that she was being overly sensitive, or that it was just BS to get hits and there for is unimportant now.

Boney said:

I'm calling BS. Because if you REALLY felt passionately about it, that you were truly offended by it, why not have a civil discussion. Why not come and try to defend your point?

schennmu said:
I think she got enough hate already. Why not stand up to your word? Sad thing is that this gave G4 a shit ton of hits, so they are probably pretty happy with it.

Exactly. A few people on here have given some pretty solid, counter arguments to her claims. I think the fact that most people aren't walking away thinking this is sexists says something. If she really felt it was then why not talk about it, in a way that allows civil discussions. I would really love to hear her counter argument to what others have said. Because I personally think her claims of it being sexist and her argument have no legs to stand on.

Kard8p3

BigAT said:
This may have been asked already, but I've been avoiding discussion on the game up until now. Does anyone know who voices Samus?

Also, I can't look at Anthony without cracking up due to whoever had that goofy avatar of his visor going up and down.

Her name is Jessica Martin.

heringer

Oh, and about the refilling thing.. I think it's great. I thought you could just refill your health at any time, but it isn't quite that easy. It takes some time and it's only possible when your health is critical, which means it's a gamble since you pretty much die if you get hit while refilling. Way better than absorbing obs.

Also, I'm amazed by how smooth the transition between CGI, cutscenes and gameplay is. There was one time after a CGI that I asked myself "wait, this is real time now? When did that happen?".

heringer

Shin Johnpv said:
IMHO she's now realizing either how stupid she was, that she was being overly sensitive, or that it was just BS to get hits and there for is unimportant now.

I'm calling BS. Because if you REALLY felt passionately about it, that you were truly offended by it, why not have a civil discussion. Why not come and try to defend your point?

Exactly. A few people on here have given some pretty solid, counter arguments to her claims. I think the fact that most people aren't walking away thinking this is sexists says something. If she really felt it was then why not talk about it, in a way that allows civil discussions. I would really love to hear her counter argument to what others have said. Because I personally think her claims of it being sexist and her argument have no legs to stand on.

Eh, it's the internetz dude. I think her claim is outlandish, but I can understand why she would rather stay out of the discussion.

[Nintex]

Voice acting has either grown on me or it was never that bad(or they improved for the final) in any case this game is amazing. It's now officially a Metroid game since I'm stuck after 2.5 hours. The graphics are slick and I love the variety in animations. Controls work really well and so far no problems with the first person stuff. The game takes some time to get used and is quite challenging. I guess that's why some reviewers didn't like it... dunno.

Cygnus X-1

Well, I decided to buy it in the end. I hope I will be able to play it without thinking too much at how things could have been made better.

scitek

Kard8p3 said:
Her name is Jessica Martin.
180px-Jessica_Martin_3.jpg

JessM2.png

Boney

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Voice acting has either grown on me or it was never that bad(or they improved for the final) in any case this game is amazing. It's now officially a Metroid game since I'm stuck after 2.5 hours. The graphics are slick and I love the variety in animations. Controls work really well and so far no problems with the first person stuff. The game takes some time to get used and is quite challenging. I guess that's why some reviewers didn't like it... dunno.
The game does an awful job at explaining the mechanics. I think plenty of people aren't playing it "right". It's a pretty glaring flaw.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, with a blonde wig she would look like Samus. I take it they used her appearance. Very Nice.

I actually do like her as a voice actress, she has a nice voice that seems fitting for Samus.
It's just some of the dialog (mostly the voice overs) that are working against her.

Is "remember me" guy Sigint?

He sounds familiar but I can't find any info on the voice actors outside of Samus.

Teknoman

Off-topic, but anyone have any thoughts on what Metroid track (from any game) would make a nice ringtone? Changed my text message to the Item found theme from Super Metroid :D

Teknoman said:
Off-topic, but anyone have any thoughts on what Metroid track (from any game) would make a nice ringtone? Changed my text message to the Item found theme from Super Metroid :D
The item finding fanfare.

EDIT: lol beaten. Alternatively, the elevator bleep bloop music.

Threi

notag
Boney said:
The game does an awful job at explaining the mechanics. I think plenty of people aren't playing it "right". It's a pretty glaring flaw.
I don't really agree, I think the controls are pretty straightforward. Instead I believe people have that thought in the back of their head that "hmm they should have used the nunchuk" because they heard reviewers say it. Same with the voice acting, same with the dialogue. I think that a lot of the posts in this thread say that they "get used to the controls" or "don't notice the bad VO" after a while are simply because they stop looking for it when they are more engaged in the actual game.

heringer said:
Eh, it's the internetz dude. I think her claim is outlandish, but I can understand why she would rather stay out of the discussion.

I hear what you're saying. It is the internetz. I just think if you're gonna claim to be a gaming journalist, and you're going to make outlandish claims then you need to be ready to back those claims up and face what ever is going to come from it.

I understand not wanting to reply to the "ur a stupidz cunt" comments as those are stupid and should be ignored. However when some one says well he's her CO from her military days, and while she is a bounty hunter she's interrupted a GF mission, and if she wants to be a part of it she needs to play by the COs rules and therefor its not a she's a woman has to listen to a man type thing. I think she should reply to those comments.

That's just me *shrug*, I think gaming journalists need to be held to at least close to the same standards regular journalists are.

Top Bottom