• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Red

evilromero said:
The music for sure is very reminiscent of MGS, as is some of the industrial scenery.
I thought the exact same thing. Can't put my finger on why, but it makes me recall Shadow Moses for some reason. Best MGS game that never was. Difference here is, I actually like Other M.

Ramirez

Ok, I give up, someone help me, pertaining to the rising water room.

I think I've shot all of the charge shot activators or whatever, and the water is rising above my head if I stand in the middle platform now. I see a doorway underneath the last set of "islands", but I see no way of getting there, am I even in the right room at the moment? I have access to another room where you can take the bridge away and there's a missle upgrade via morphball in the bottom, but the door is red and I see no way of opening it in the room, there's just a bunch of cpus. HALP.

Red

Ramirez said:

I think I've shot all of the charge shot activators or whatever, and the water is rising above my head if I stand in the middle platform now. I see a doorway underneath the last set of "islands", but I see no way of getting there, am I even in the right room at the moment? I have access to another room where you can take the bridge away and there's a missle upgrade via morphball in the bottom, but the door is red and I see no way of opening it in the room, there's just a bunch of cpus. HALP.
Is this the room in Sector 1? If so,
wall jump on the right side.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ramirez said:

Is this the room where the water is now rising up and down continuously? If so, you need to go to the far right, and time a wall jump to get behind the barrier and kick your way up to the top.

farnham

Banned
Gouken said:
Is anyone having a problem running "Metroid Other M"? i just bought a U.S copy of the game and it doesn't run on my U.S Wii machine. i called the store and they said some copies have problems running properly. every time i insert the game i get a "cannot read disc" error. i even tried it on my daughters PAL Wii and it's giving me the same problem.

The thing is it's a U.S game, but the back cover writing is in english, french and spanish, and it says "Made in USA" and the strange part is it also says "For sale and use in Malaysia, Singapore, UAE and Saudi Arabia" wtf?

edit: my wii is un-moded and it plays other game discs perfectly fine.
probably due to the dual layered dvd

you have to contact nintendo

theyll give you a new disc drive

In preparation for Other M which I plan to get tomorrow I've been replaying Zero Mission (77% items, wha??) and now Super Metroid.

It has to be said that Super Metroid is one of the prettiest 2D games ever created. The sprites and the animation are amazing. The game really shines in a s-video TV. The music is so haunting and eerie and adds so much to the experience and it sounds even better in surround sound. And while I have to give the edge to Zero Mission in level design the overall look of Super Metroid is a pure delight.

As a side note, for the first time ever I have mastered the impossibly difficult wall jump. It only took me 16 years to get it :lol

Ramirez

EatChildren said:
Is this the room where the water is now rising up and down continuously? If so, you need to go to the far right, and time a wall jump to get behind the barrier and kick your way up to the top.

Got it, thanks. I would have never of thought to do that. :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ramirez said:
Got it, thanks. I would have never of thought to do that. :(

You're welcome. I got stumped there for a little too.

This game would be so much better if I could skip the cutscenes on my first playthrough. It's not the worst story or anything but the dialogue is something out of R.L Stine and it's really annoying to go through long stretches of game and then have everything grind to a halt for an overlong cutscene I can't skip. If the cutscenes just focused on the story at hand and ignored all the flashback shit(I hope there's a worthwhile pay-off for those because if it's just to flesh out Samus and nothing more then it's pretty useless) I don't think I'd mind them as much and they'd immediately be much shorter too. At this point I would gladly sacrifice the entire story for the sake of enjoying the gameplay more.

Speaking of which, I really enjoy the gameplay a lot though. After about an hour I had completely adapted to the controls and had no problem jumping between standard view and first person to squeeze out a few rockets. Boss fights are a bit underwhelming so far but they're still fun. I don't mind the linear design too much provided the game doesn't end up feeling super short(The game could easily be made much longer if they didn't keep locking you out of returning to past areas. Completely eliminates the "Maybe I missed something, I'll run back to this area to make sure" aspect). Auto-aim hasn't betrayed me too often and combat feels great despite being a little too basic. Dodging is for babies though. It's lenient to the point of stupidity. It's 1 step away from being fully automated. I stopped at the fire zone and I really hope difficulty picks because right now it's a cakewalk and it seems I'm going to have to rely on hard mode to get my challenge fix.

One thing I can't ignore...the music, where is it? It's 90% ambiance and comes off more dull than moody. It's even worse when you load a save and get an updated version of the Super Metroid opening theme during the loading screen. I can only imagine how much better the experience would be with music of that quality driving the audio.

Overall, it has some obvious problems everyone has touched on over and over but as long as it doesn't end up feeling super short I think it'll be a nice 8/10.

Gouken

Banned
farnham said:
probably due to the dual layered dvd

you have to contact nintendo

theyll give you a new disc drive

new disc drive? as in a new wii? i dont think that's possible since i have a U.S Wii but i'm in brazil.

dammit this is my most anticipated game of 2010 and it's not workin!!! :(

farnham

Banned
Gouken said:
new disc drive? as in a new wii? i dont think that's possible since i have a U.S Wii but i'm in brazil.

dammit this is my most anticipated game of 2010 and it's not workin!!! :(
hmm when have you bought your wii ?

or better

have you played smash bros brawl or metroid prime triology on your wii ? (if those work dual layer should be no problem)

Gouken

Banned
farnham said:
hmm when have you bought your wii ?

or better

have you played smash bros brawl or metroid prime triology on your wii ? (if those work dual layer should be no problem)

about 6-9 months after the official launch.

i'm gonna send the game back and get a refund :(

Gouken

Banned
heringer said:
I bet it's the dual layer thing. That can be a bitch.

There's a Wii disc cleaner that supposedly works like a charm.

i'm not sure i can find those here, will a regular CD cleaner work?

Red

Chet Rippo said:
To be honest, I completely forgot about Hunters for a second there. :lol

As for your aiming problem, you might be sitting to close to the sensor.
Yeah, when I'm too close (four to six feet away) I get controls that tend to "stick" to one side of the screen, causing Samus to spin in circles and completely ruining any chance I have of getting an attack in. When I move back, though, the cursor suddenly starts shuddering all over the place and sometimes cuts out completely (six-fifteen feet away). It's like I have to choose between what I want to piss me off at any single moment.

Even when the remote is responding properly, I can never get it to imitate 1:1 aiming. It's always a few inches off, probably because the "box" that is recognized by the game is smaller than my TV itself. The cursor always cuts out before I reach the edge of the screen, so it makes trying to turn around a total pain.

It's an issue I've always had with Wii aiming, and I wish all games would adopt Motion+ as standard so the problems would be eliminated.

As an aside, I just Googled the problem and found this, which I'm going to try out later today (I have a both a wired and a wireless sensor bar). Looks like that is a very inelegant solution, though, so it probably won't get me anywhere.

I really like the game so far. The controls work really well IMO. I haven't had any problems with them whatsoever. I got used to the first person switch in the first 15 minutes. The dialogue is pretty corny but I can get over it and interpret it my own way without much effort. The music (or lack there of) is my only gripe. Going from Super, and the Primes to this is sad. It's mostly ambiance, which isn't bad, but it could be better with some good music which all Metroid games have had. I'm still very satisfied with the game. The dodge mechanic works too easily IMO, but it's not a gamebreaker by any means (a lot better than if it didn't work at all). People worried about items flashing on the map can be relieved as there have been a few that have popped up on me and I'm absolutely baffled as to where it is and how to get to it. Granted I'm not very far into the game, I'm quite satisfied.

Man oh man. Went from excited a while ago to hesitant after hearing preview impressions, to excited again after hearing it's better than preview, and now after playing it I'm back to "mixed bag".

I'm just not feeling any atmosphere after just getting ready to head to Sector 1. Honestly, I'm hoping this is just getting ramped up because even the GBA Metroids had a lot of foreboding atmosphere in spades early on.

The auto-aim mechanic is just very strange and I don't like it. It really makes the game feel like it's on auto-pilot....something very uncharacteristic of the series in any iteration. One of the very first encounters had me literally sitting in the back mashing fire over and over and not taking a single hit. That doesn't sit very well with me. Hopefully this changes as the game picks up.

Sound design is honestly sub-par which is terribly disappointing. Chimes and music are all forgettable. First time I got a power up and heard some odd music cue I just went "...what?" :-| Sound is a huge aspect to an experience, so again I hope this picks up.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Several hours in: put me in the "fucking awesome" camp.

The main thing is that I honestly think many people are going to hate this game because they will be 100% determined to experience it as a different game than what it is. This is not Super Metroid, it is not Metroid 5 with Shadow Complex style 2.5d gameplay.

And it is a crime if someone bitches that this game is janky, awkward, or "doesn't work". This is one of the most polished gaming experiences this generation. EVERYTHING is like butter, everything feels as if it has been gone over with a fine toothed comb. Nevermind the god damned first person transitions all the wailing is about. Every door load, cut scene transition, enemy encounter, sub-boss introduction, weapon switch, item get, unobtrusive tutorial messages that don't pause the game and don't interrupt your play. Every aspect of the technical quality and the game's raw programming. This /is/ a "triple A" game by this generation's standards and the art style works so well with the graphics that like Super Mario Galaxy, upscale it to 1080p and LOL @ Wii graphics complaints. It looks better, is modeled better, and is designed better than most (not ALL, simmer down boys) games that have come out on the HD consoles. And it animates incredibly, with Samus being the star of the show.

Basically, this is what Team Ninja buys you - incredibly solid feeling gameplay, a world that clicks under your character's feet and feels real, inventive and demanding combat (LOL @ auto-aiming is n00b mode), and style.

About the d-pad: I've no problems with it, and I wonder if some people are going to make themselves suffer by trying to jam the d-pad around as if it's an analog stick trying to "be precise". Samus is on a variety of grids and movement splines. The game plays like butter and there is no ambiguity about how you are moving in 3D space. There's so much work put into making sure the playing experience is enjoyable and fluid it makes a lot of other games look like janky crap.

What I will say about the first person switch and missile usage is that it's brilliant but some folks are going to play this game wrong. Reviewers who whined for an analog stick to turn this into Metroid Prime entirely missed the point and played a different game. This is Ninja Gaiden in Space: you are not supposed to go visor and run around like Master Chief shooting willy-nilly. You are supposed to execute the correct counter play to what each enemy (or group of enemies) does and visor look w/ missile lock-on is one of those moves. Complaining that this isn't an FPS in visor mode is like playing Vanquish and saying it sucks because you can't play it like Gears of War. Different games, get over it, learn how to play.

Most of all, the first person stuff may in fact (so far) be slightly underutilized in some ways. There's room for many more awesome sequences such as the elevator. The visor mode allows Metroid Prime's legacy to not be forgotten and contribute something significant to 3rd person Metroid. (Speaking of polish: the freakin' UI smoothly wraps around your visor when going in and out of first-person view. There is not a detail in this game that hasn't been coated with turtle wax.)

Much like Mario Galaxy 1, there are areas that are rougher than others, but again, I can see how this game is honestly blazing new territory. If another game is made that takes cues from this design, the potential for polish is immense.

I'm not even going to get into the story because others have discussed the reality (versus the negative hype) of the story's good and bad points, and it's STILL much less groan inducing than MGS4 and FFXIII. Maybe I just don't have preconceptions of being Samus' boyfriend, so I'm not obsessed with the character, but I even have grown to like the story and the characters halfway through.

PLAY MOAR NAO BYE BYE

EDIT: Okay and yes to balance my immense excitement that the game doesn't disappoint after all, I will fully agree the music is bizarrely underutilized. What is there is good, and there are many places where they could have used a lot more of it. But even so, in the big picture, it's a small thing.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I'm pretty sure I'm at the final boss and I don't have
super bombs. I don't know how this happened but whenever I go to the menu, they're not there. Do you need them for the last boss

Though my impressions did seem rather negative, that isn't to say it's all bad. It's just perhaps a bit of an odd-ball to me. It feels somewhat amateurish in some ways, which is catching me off guard. Again, it probably will pick up shortly.

MadOdorMachine said:
I'm pretty sure I'm at the final boss and I don't have
super bombs. I don't know how this happened but whenever I go to the menu, they're not there. Do you need them for the last boss
It'll come naturally.
=)

farnham

Banned
Gouken said:
about 6-9 months after the official launch.

i'm gonna send the game back and get a refund :(
If your Wii has the Dual Layer problem you could just softmod the other Wii (PAL Version) and play it on that with GeckoOS. You can also rip the DVDs content into an iso file and play it on your Wii off a harddrive if you softmod it. A lot of people on Neogaf play wii games that way. Go to the Wiibrew thread

TUSR

Banned
So if I am a big Prime fan where there is no interaction between Samus and other human beings, will I enjoy this game. MP 3: Corruption or whatever it was on the Wii really turned me off towards the series because there were humans in the cut scenes and I didn't enjoy them being there.

Hiltz

Finally died the first time during the
Warrior Wasp encounter
. This is a good example of how its nearly impossible to successfully perform the concentrate move with all of the enemies swarming around not to mention those projectiles coming at you from above. I wonder if there's an upgrade later on that makes it faster to do the concentrate move. I already screwed myself for not getting the accelerator yellow tank for the charge beam, thinking that you just had to scan it.

Squire Felix said:
So if I am a big Prime fan where there is no interaction between Samus and other human beings, will I enjoy this game. MP 3: Corruption or whatever it was on the Wii really turned me off towards the series because there were humans in the cut scenes and I didn't enjoy them being there.

Beware. This is so much more in that direction than even Corruption. Samus now has a voice, back story, talking to humans, etc.

Squire Felix said:
You won't enjoy the first hour or 2 of the game for sure. I'm told that after the first hour or 2 it tones that aspect down and is more metroid-esqe but I haven't gotten far enough to confirm.

careksims

Space A Cobra said:
One thing I can't ignore...the music, where is it? It's 90% ambiance and comes off more dull than moody. It's even worse when you load a save and get an updated version of the Super Metroid opening theme during the loading screen. I can only imagine how much better the experience would be with music of that quality driving the audio.

One of the biggest complaints I have of the game so far. I can not much for OCRemixes here. :( I kept thinking of all the great music from SM and then here I forget there was something playing in the background.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I just owned the
tree dinosaur in the forest room
, that was a fun fight.

The game can kick some serious ass when it wants to. Aside from a few moments of frustration, I'm having a blast with it. Just 4 hours in but that's a lot for me in just a small period of time.

TUSR

Banned
King Chozo said:
You won't enjoy the first hour or 2 of the game for sure. I'm told that after the first hour or 2 it tones that aspect down and is more metroid-esqe but I haven't gotten far enough to confirm.
Thats really disheartening for me, I love the Metroid series. Super Metroid and the Prime series. But human interaction and human interactions that drive the plot isn't what Metroid is about, or how I see the games.

Its all about environment and really setting the mood that the place you are in is unique and that the story can be driven and told by the place you are in. The perfect word to describe what I mean is 'Atmosphere'

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Squire Felix said:
Thats really disheartening for me, I love the Metroid series. Super Metroid and the Prime series. But human interaction and human interactions that drive the plot isn't what Metroid is about, or how I see the games.

Its all about environment and really setting the mood that the place you are in is unique and that the story can be driven and told by the place you are in. The perfect word to describe what I mean is 'Atmosphere'

I agree with what you're saying, but for the most part that is what Other M has been. There were a few lengthy cutscenes earlier in the game but I've gone about 3 or so hours with only one 30 second cutscene breaking up the action. Unless it gets worse later in the game, I don't see how it's a major issue.
I've been playing Super Metroid for the first time and for the most part this feels like a 3D/modern version of it. It isn't a Metal Gear game with cutscenes taking up as much time as gameplay.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Im completely stuck in that big room with water going up & down in Sector 1. I've look around everywhere and i dont see anything to move that big gate blocking the way to the next door.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
The trial and error sections of this game are killing it for me. I normally don't need help with games, but I don't have the patience to try and figure out how to get thru this.

I defeated the Queen Metroid and now there are a room full of 3 or 4 baddies. I have to shoot them in first person mode. Sometimes, they'll go into a shell but I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I've tried a charge beam, grapple beam and missiles and nothing seems to be working. How do you get thru this section?

Bisnic said:
Im completely stuck in that big room with water going up & down in Sector 1. I've look around everywhere and i dont see anything to move that big gate blocking the way to the next door.

all the way to the right on the last island. You have to wait for the island to go down and then come up slightly to jump against the wall all the way to the right. There's like a I don't know how to describe it a double wall there that you have to be lower than to be able to wall jump up inside of it.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Bisnic said:
There's a spot where you have to
wall jump IIRC. You have to wait for the water to lower just a bit.

Edit - Sorry I guess I should have spoilered.

TUSR

Banned
Snuggler said:
I agree with what you're saying, but for the most part that is what Other M has been. There were a few lengthy cutscenes earlier in the game but I've gone about 3 or so hours with only one 30 second cutscene breaking up the action. Unless it gets worse later in the game, I don't see how it's a major issue.
I've been playing Super Metroid for the first time and for the most part this feels like a 3D/modern version of it. It isn't a Metal Gear game with cutscenes taking up as much time as gameplay.
nanomachines
facepalm.jpg

Red

Squire Felix said:
I hated Corruption, but love Other M. It has problems, but they don't much detract from the overall experience.

Seriously it is very good, I am in the 9/10 camp. It plays differently than other entries, but feels the same.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Squire Felix said:
nanomachines
facepalm.jpg

Heh, nothing like that in Other M. Like I said before, outside of the intro the story and cutscenes have been very brief and unobtrusive. Reading this thread you'd think otherwise, but it hasn't been the case so far. It's been almost all solid gameplay.

It seems to be getting better and better as I go on, I was a little unsure in the first hour or so but now I'm really into it. It's worth playing for yourself.

On a different note, am I the only one who can't stop mashing the shoot/charge button for no reason? I do the same thing in Super, I just shoot nonstop as I run around, it's strangely entertaining.

TUSR

Banned
Snuggler said:
Heh, nothing like that in Other M. Like I said before, outside of the intro the story and cutscenes have been very brief and unobtrusive. Reading this thread you'd think otherwise, but it hasn't been the case so far. It's been almost all solid gameplay.

It seems to be getting better and better as I go on, I was a little unsure in the first hour or so but now I'm really into it. It's worth playing for yourself.
Ill buy it if anything in it reminds you of phenandra drifts.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
MadOdorMachine said:
The trial and error sections of this game are killing it for me. I normally don't need help with games, but I don't have the patience to try and figure out how to get thru this.

I defeated the Queen Metroid and now there are a room full of 3 or 4 baddies. I have to shoot them in first person mode. Sometimes, they'll go into a shell but I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I've tried a charge beam, grapple beam and missiles and nothing seems to be working. How do you get thru this section?

This was the most frustrating part of the game for me. I'm only half-sure of what I even did, and I definitely know I did it by accident.
You can't kill them. Fend them off, but look around for something else to shoot at. Someone else to shoot at.

scitek

MadOdorMachine said:

I think a cutscene interrupts the fight if you just survive long enough.

EDIT: See? I had no idea what I did, it just moved on. :lol

MadOdorMachine said:
Okay, I'll give it another whirl. You've been a big help Donkey Show, thanks.

No prob man!

MadOdorMachine said:

This is tricky since so much is going on at once, but it's easy once you know what to do.
The key is getting a lock on MB. Shoot one of those monsters with the missiles, then quickly get a lock on another monster in the background. Charge up your super missile until it goes multi-lock and it should lock onto MB. Fire away and watch from there.
:D

Kard8p3

MadOdorMachine said:

Unfortunately I had this part spoiled for me somewhat

I don't know who but I know there's a woman that you're supposed to lock onto to progress.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
scitek said:
I think a cutscene interrupts the fight if you just survive long enough.

I actually did this part like 10 times, and lasted a really long time in a few, but passed it successfully within the first 2 seconds of my last attempt by the aforementioned accident.

Top Bottom