• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

wsippel

Banned
Threi said:
missles = shotgun mode

BAM > *recock* > BAM > *recock* > BAM

up + A (reload) when done.
Yeah, I love it. Becomes kind of a reflex after a while. Feels much better than grinding for missiles.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Threi said:
I don't really agree, I think the controls are pretty straightforward. Instead I believe people have that thought in the back of their head that "hmm they should have used the nunchuk" because they heard reviewers say it. Same with the voice acting, same with the dialogue. I think that a lot of the posts in this thread say that they "get used to the controls" or "don't notice the bad VO" after a while are simply because they stop looking for it when they are more engaged in the actual game.

This is pretty much it. After following this thread non stop for a week and reading all the reviews, I felt like the story was gonna be a pain no matter what and certain aspects of the game would be bad no matter what. I'm not that impressionable of a person but I was concerned about a lot of stuff I heard going in.

But after a couple hours of playing it I forgot about all that shit and started to enjoy it for myself. I would have been better off just avoiding all the pre-release stuff but at this point none of it really matters anymore.

Off-topic, but anyone have any thoughts on what Metroid track (from any game) would make a nice ringtone? Changed my text message to the Item found theme from Super Metroid

I would go with the Brinstar theme from Super Metroid.

Or Underground Depths
but it might start too slow for a ring tone.

Snuggler said:
He sounds familiar but I can't find any info on the voice actors outside of Samus.

At the start of the game he was describing the weapons and it was exactly like MGS3. I would be shocked if it wasn't him. In fact I wish he would call Samus after every weapon upgrade so he can give a detailed description.

Amazon still hasn't shipped it

Should I email them complaining? It's been a couple days.

For Soul Silver and Galaxy 2, I went with free shipping and got the games 3 days after release.

Other M hasn't even shipped yet!

wsippel said:
Yeah, I love it. Becomes kind of a reflex after a while. Feels much better than grinding for missiles.
Exactly. With the pace of this game, it makes more sense. Just think them into fruition. I mean, she already turns into a ball that drops unlimited bombs on top of other crazy abilities.

Now that I've 100% the normal mode and beat hard mode, I think I'll go for a 100% speed run. :D

BigAT

So I'm stuck fairly early on and could use some help. In Sector 1
I hit the area where you slide down the hill and have to avoid the thorns. Now I'm stuck in the area where there's a hole in the glass wall small enough for a morph ball to fit through, a missile upgrade in a vent that is off the ground and a door going forward that requires the super missile, which I don't have. I can't backtrack either, because the only way out is the hill I came in, which requires the speed boost in order to get up (also don't have that). The only other door out of this entire area is red currently. What am I missing here?

kiryogi

Banned
BigAT said:
I hit the area where you slide down the hill and have to avoid the thorns. Now I'm stuck in the area where there's a hole in the glass wall small enough for a morph ball to fit through, a missile upgrade in a vent that is off the ground and a door going forward that requires the super missile, which I don't have. I can't backtrack either, because the only way out is the hill I came in, which requires the speed boost in order to get up (also don't have that). The only other door out of this entire area is red currently. What am I missing here?

there's a vent before the super missile door above you.

These are my impressions from last night, only played for a bit:

I don't what it is about it, if it is just the fact that it isn't a 2D game or if its the design but this:

Metroid-The-Other-M-not-Metroid-Dread.jpg

Doesn't feel anything like this

SuperMetroid_20070820_4_1187650266_640w.jpg

I really really prefer the latter.

The controls are fine, you will have a hang of them almost instantly. Even the switching to first person thing is no problem. I am surprised that the first person missile shooting is honestly not that bad at all. Samus move at such a great speed, jumping feels right, its just nice to see her in third person. It is a beautiful game to look at as well.

The game structure is identical to Fusion so far. You enter an area and go to the navigation computer. It downloads a map and tells you where you need to go. The difference being each section in Fusion allowed for exploration and had many hidden paths, so far this game is way too linear. There are lots of hallways with simple enemies so all you do is run and press A and everything dies in your path. I know that is sort of what you do in 2D Metroid games as well but it feels different. Honestly this is a bigger shock to the system than Prime ever was. I think since we all have played a FPS before the transition was easier. I really don't know what to compare this game to, its a unique mix of gameplay that is for sure.

The game is good when harder enemies show up. These enemies have different attack patterns and you will need to use your dodge powerup move to beat them. Some have different strategies than other, like whether or not to use missiles. Here the combat feels important and fun. It is a bit Ninja Gaiden like I must admit, honestly I wish every room had these kind of enemies, might as well go full action game if you are going to remove exploration.

I am still in the early hours which I have read from everyone is the worst part. Every once in a while I see something that reminds me I am playing Metroid like a door that is blocked with a super missile which I don't have yet. Or a powerup unreachable at this moment. Also the one boss I fought was pretty good. But for the most part you just go down the path they want you to go, fight the enemies the game scripted for you and watch cutscenes.

The cutscenes are well done, beautiful CG. I don't care much for the story, its fine, I guess people that like this stuff will eat it up. While the graphics are gorgeous the music is lacking. I don't know what is going on but all I hear is random mood music, its garbage. Metroid is known for its music, where the hell is it?

scitek

BigAT said:

Keep going past the missile upgrade, the vent rounds a corner into another room.

Kard8p3

BigAT said:

there should be a vent you can jump into

Threi

notag
MiamiWesker said:

I don't what it is about it, if it is just the fact that it isn't a 2D game or if its the design but this:

I really really prefer the latter.
well that may be because those aren't the same enemies...

just sayin

kiryogi

Banned
MiamiWesker said:

What Threi said. Infact when you actually face the kihunters in Other M. It's so much better. You have like at least 3 different ways to dispose of them. Tear off their wings, and then toss'em around. Or just blast'em sky high.

Boney

Banned
Threi said:
well that may be because those aren't the same enemies...

just sayin
Ripping the wings of those things is so much fun. Then just run straight into them and overkill them.

:lol

The enemies are not the point, the two pictures just so happened to have similar enemies. I am saying other M doesn't feel like Super Metroid/Fusion/Zero Mission.

BigAT

kiryogi said:
there's a vent before the super missile door above you.
Thanks. You have to be much closer than I expected to grab vents. That is pretty obvious, but I jumped at that one several times without grabbing on so I assumed I couldn't.

Threi

notag
the sound the ones later on in the game make are creepy as hell.

MiamiWesker said:

The enemies are not the point, the two pictures just so happened to have similar enemies. I am saying other M doesn't feel like Super Metroid/Fusion/Zero Mission.
If the games don't have a similar feel how do those two pictures prove it? In both pics Samus is shooting bugs, in both pics there isn't a major difference in colour depth. The only real difference is that SM is completely organic while Other M has synthetic environments, and that is completely intentional. Is that the "feel"?

kiryogi said:
What Threi said. Infact when you actually face the kihunters in Other M. It's so much better. You have like at least 3 different ways to dispose of them. Tear off their wings, and then toss'em around. Or just blast'em sky high.
The lethal strikes are sooooo good in this game.

MiamiWesker said:

And you know what, that's okay. Just by looking at Other M, my expectations did not fall in line with the other Metroids and I'm able to separate that fact and enjoy Other M for what it is. Of course the expectation shouldn't be made for everyone to do the same, because we all want different things.

kiryogi

Banned
donkey show said:
The lethal strikes are sooooo good in this game.
Indeed! I have to wonder tho, like my question earlier, was there any other lethal strikes folks managed to discover or wonder about? It's really neat being able to do one when you thought you couldn't before. One particular one
that creature that has the green belly and has a mouth in it's back. If you freeze it, you can lethal strike it.
I'd love to see a list :eek:

MiamiWesker said:
Make a Metroid level in LBP 2 please. :)
:lol :lol :lol maybe...

kiryogi said:
Indeed! I have to wonder tho, like my question earlier, was there any other lethal strikes folks managed to discover or wonder about? It's really neat being able to do one when you thought you couldn't before. One particular one
that creature that has the green belly and has a mouth in it's back. If you freeze it, you can lethal strike it.
wat?!?! mindblown.

VerTiGo

Banned
I owe to Super Mertroid as to why I am a gamer to begin with. To this day, still my unmatched favorite game of all time, but with that said, I adored Fusion and all THREE Prime games. Furthermore, Other M is awesome. I was hyped from the beginning and the game is just as great as I knew it would be.

So, this thread can suck it.

Kard8p3 said:
Nooooo, don't give them any more clicks!

I owe to Super Mertroid as to why I am a gamer to begin with. To this day, still my unmatched favorite game of all time, but with that said, I adored Fusion and all THREE Prime games. Furthermore, Other M is awesome. I was hyped from the beginning and the game is just as great as I knew it would be.

So, this thread can suck it.

Eh? A majority in the thread love this game.

Threi

notag
kiryogi said:
The big thing with the horns that charges at you you can lethal strike if you jump on it's head

Threi said:
If the games don't have a similar feel how do those two pictures prove it? In both pics Samus is shooting bugs, in both pics there isn't a major difference in colour depth. The only real difference is that SM is completely organic while Other M has synthetic environments, and that is completely intentional. Is that the "feel"?

Those two pictures show how similar the games look. You take a look at that and think Other M is a perfect translation of Super Metroid but the play feels completely different. So far I would argue that Prime feels more Metroid like than this game does. And that is the point, its looks like Super Metroid, it kind of controls like Super Metroid but it strangely doesn't feel like it at all.

kiryogi

Banned
Threi said:
The big thing with the horns that charges at you you can lethal strike if you jump on it's head

What thing with the horns? In sector 2? The sheegoth like thing or the wolves?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Woohoo I just got the
Varia suit and slayed the Lava Dragon.

Now that is how you do a boss fight, kids, that was a lot of fun. And the finisher was so badass even though it was spoiled by one of the trailers. Other M is firing on all cylinders now.

Eh? A majority in the thread love this game.

Yeah...the last few pages have been a love fest. What a difference it makes to actually play the game.

I think the biggest change is the pace of action and movement. In the older 2D action games, you are always moving in a direction. Just about every 2D action game translated into 3D has become scripted arena fights. Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania being two prominent franchises. I haven't played Other M yet, but from the videos I've watched, it seemed to make the same transition. Especially with the influence of Team Ninja.

VerTiGo

Banned
I'd even say that Other M has completely wiped out the Prime games for me and I did indeed love those games, especially the first two, but this feels like a real Metroid game thru and thru, the emphasis on story doesn't really change much.

Kard8p3

donkey show said:
Nooooo, don't give them any more clicks!

I found it on the site you Go to for Nintendo news and just figured some might be interested. Abbie even mentions that she's lurked here and saw what people were saying about her.

Kard8p3 said:
I found it on the site you Go to for Nintendo news and just figured some might be interested. Abbe even mentions that she's lurked here and saw what people were saying about her.
As much as I'd like to hear her thoughts about the opinions in this thread, I'm still not clicking it.

Any objections, Abbie?

Kard8p3 said:
I found it on the site you Go to for Nintendo news and just figured some might be interested. Abbe even mentions that she's lurked here and saw what people were saying about her.

Good, maybe she'll see how ignorant she is about sexism.
Seriously, it's an affront to actual women rights movements that she thinks this video game is sexist.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Thanks again for the help Donkey Show.

I beat the game and I figure I'll give my impressions.

Graphics - Simply put, this is one of the best Wii games to show off what the system is capable of. It looks really good and for the most part they nail the atmosphere. Some of the effects and bosses look next gen. Samus' model looks the best it ever has. I absolutely love it. Her animations are also top notch. The other thing that really shines are the enemies. They look really good and the bright colors mix in well with the techno-organic vibe the levels portray.

Controls - My biggest complaint of the game are the controls. Let me start off by saying that I absolutely hate using the Wii remote in the sideways function that this game requires. All of the buttons are small and the tiny d-pad Nintendo has been using on their systems since the GC came out is hard for me to keep my thumb from sliding off of. I also find that the spot where the wrist strap connects digs into my hand so in general it's very uncomfortable to play like this and any game that offers a different option, I choose it. So from the get go, using this set up was something I was against. If you're used to playing games like this and it doesn't bother you then it probably won't be as big an issue.

What's ironic is that what was an attempt to make controls simple and bring in new gamers I feel has massively backfired. It's unnatural to constantly be switching the Wii remote from the sideways position to the pointing position. I found my right hand still hovered over the A button while in the sideways configuration quite a few times throughout the game because there's so much switching. This to me overcomplicated things because if they just would have used the nun-chuck, your hands would have already been in the right position. This also would have given them more buttons to use which are needed for action games like this. Also, although I think navigating through the worlds using the d-pad works, it could have been a lot more accurate had they used the analog stick. There are a lot of reasons they could have uses the nun chuck set up but for some reason they chose not too. I think it would have been better to use it in the long run and the people who are complaining would have been happy and they people who don't mind the current setup probably wouldn't have minded using the nun chuck either. Instead we have a disaster that will probably turn a lot of people off initially. The thing is, it does get a little bit better by the end of the game, but it never feels right.

Gameplay - The game relies around switching between first and third person. You can only use missiles in first person. Despite the sideways config, I'm curious why Nintendo/Team Ninja didn't give you the option of pressing the minus button on the Wii remote to switch between missiles and your power beam, but what's done is done. It's quite jarring at first, but by the end of the game, you should be used to it. I do think it will turn a lot of people off though.

There are some parts that make you wonder wtf the developers were thinking. There are a few sections of the game where you're forced to use first person to look for a needle in a haystack. I don't have the words to describe just how terrible this is, but I actually thought my game was locked up. This won't be the only time that I think I hit a game killing bug either. At the end of the game I thought I was missing a critical item and finally had to get help to get thru it. Next are the instant deaths. There are a lot of them and if it weren't for the fact that the game gives you unlimited continues and you can infinitely recharge your health and ammo I doubt anyone would have finished this game. All of these things are quite frankly nerve racking.

Where the game shines is in the third person perspective. It's hard for me to describe just how satisfying the combat and exploration is but it's great. Some people have said this isn't Super Metroid in 3D, but I couldn't disagree more. This part of the game is exactly what I want and why I suffered thru all of the bad parts. It's a lot of fun and nice to actually see Samus' model run around. Also, first person is very handy for this part of the game because you can look around for hidden items. Because of the fixed camera you might not see everything and first person mode is a god send for games like this. Anyone who's played Castlevania: Lament of Innocence of Devil May Cry know what I'm talking about.

One other area that deserves a lot of praise is the combat and camera system. Everything is very smooth and although some people might not like the way things are automated, I love it. The action is very fast paced and had the combat been strictly in third person, I would want a lot more baddies to kill. The camera also works well here. Despite the fact that I don't like the mandatory first person for missiles, the transition is very well done. There are also very little load times if any and that includes when moving in and out of CGI cutscenes.

Music - Sadly the music is non existent as a lot of people have noted. There's nothing else to say, but it makes you wonder what could have been because the music is very influential on the mood of the game. To make matters worse, in the ending credits you here a few of the old jingles in a remix while the credits role. I really wish they would have taken the time to give the game a soundtrack.

Story - I'm not going to get into the whole sexism thing, but there are some awful, awful moments with the voice acting. It could have been better, but despite the flaws on the way the it's told, the story itself was pretty good imo. There are some major plot holes though, one being
The death of Adam Malkovich. I went on a suicide mission to kill the Metroids, but the Queen is still alive for you to fight. What was the point?

Overall - The game was enjoyable especially after the first few hours. There are definitely some very frustrating moments that would have needlessly taken me quite a while to get thru had it not been for people here at the GAF. Anyway, about the third level in
when you get your wave beam/speed boost
things really open up and the game starts to hit it's stride. I credit this because it's not as necessary to use missiles and there's less story being told. By the end of the game it totally feels like Metroid and you'll be having fun despite the games limitations. All in all, it is one of the best games on Wii and deserves to be played. Just keep in mind that it's not perfect. If I had to rate it, I would give it a 7 out of 10, but it could have been a 10 out of 10 had they fixed the controls and voice acting and given the game a soundtrack.

desertdroog

Metroid Other M has been the most expensive gaming experience for me. Due to not having enough component inputs on my TV, I traded my old 20 gig Xbox for the new 250 gig s model, so that I could use HDMI, of which my set has four inputs, and then use the Wii component cable. And then I had to get rid of all the white Xbox peripherals for continuity sake and decor.

Metroid M Other is a grand offering on this IP, Animu narrative be damned. I'm sitting here in my office with dark circles under my eyes and a four hour caffeine binge due to the 2 am play sessions with this game.

Please don't wait so long for another Metroid game Nintendo...and I applaud the risk taken in bringing this game back to third person.

Kard8p3

Abbie basically says some comments on the internet are taking things too far. She mentions that her comment about not wanting to be friends with people who like this game was just sarcasm. She says the story would work out great if it was set earlier in the timeline but as is she doesn't think samus should be acting this way late in her career. She did like the story that didn't deal with the backstory of samus though. She also said she started to really enjoy the game at the end. They do bring up not liking the authorization of weapons from adam and propose other ways to do it. That's about it really.

Kard8p3 said:
Abbie basically says some comments on the internet are taking things too far. She mentions that her comment about not wanting to be friends with people who like this game was just sarcasm. She says the story would work out great if it was set earlier in the timeline but as is she doesn't think samus should be acting this way late in her career. She did like the story that didn't deal with the backstory of samus though. She also said she started to really enjoy the game at the end. They do bring up not liking the authorization of weapons from adam and propose other ways to do it. That's about it really.

Hell of back track there, Abbie.

pulga

Banned
Glad to see so many people getting stuck, Metroid is fucking back!

Goddamnit, gotta wait about a week for my package to get here :'( I hate you guys.

Threi

notag
farnham said:
Let me guess

we are wise gaming journalists and those who oppose us are probably some fanboys on the internetz. so we win!
listening now, there is a fair bit of that, can't really blame em though, considering this thread pre-g4 review, metroid fans are right there in the realm of the crazies.

That being said she (kinda) justifies her viewpoint, I still don't agree with it, but that's fine. My issue isn't with her tbh, its with people who are easily influenced by what she says and can't form their own opinion of the game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It seems like when I get stuck in a Metroid, no matter what generation it is, it's because I missed some stupid tiny little morph ball hole. I love it though.

Getting lost leads me to searching every little nook and cranny in the area and finding all the power ups and stuff. In most games it would piss me off but in Metroid it just feels natural.

I gotta shut 'er down from now since the girlfriend is home but I'm 5 hours in and loving it. Expectations have been met, or even exceeded.

etiolate

Banned
Well after much story discussion, I can finally comment on the gameplay. Even after all my worries of the story making me want to pound my dick, the gameplay frustrations made me not even care any more.

Problems that could have been fixed with adding the nunchuk:

-This game is always just guessing what you mean to do. Did you mean to jump on that guy? Well jumped over him. Did you mean to shoot that guy or that guy? Did you mean to sense dodge?

Auto aim generally works, but if something is over your head then Samus will not even recognize it. So you dpad run away from it, then turn back so you can aim at it, but the enemy just shot a projectile and the game thought you meant to sense dodge. So now you roll forward, unleash that charge shot, but now you're again too close to the target and it flies off past it. This doesn't break the game, but its very frustrating and should never make it to the final stage of a Nintendo main franchise. This is AAA shit we're suppose to be making here.

-Firstperson/3rd person: This is doable, but annoying and totally disconnects you from the game. It gets very tiresome switching between the two, and if you want to really take in a room then get prepared for a lot of stop and go. Yes, constant stop and go in an action game.

Other Design Falures

-WHERE'S WALDO THE MINIGAME: Holy shit. This has given me the most dick pounding emotional moments of all. The graphics are not detailed, you have to oomph brightness to see shit and then you realize the textures are rather bland and average. Now the game freezes you out, sticks you in visor mode with limited range and waits for you to find some obscure or benign object before it lets you progress. So, so bad. Again, should have been cut. Was this game play tested? Shouldn't someone had said "wtf are you doing here?"

-The Crip Walk: This is where the game emphasizes to you that something peculiar or spooky is about to happen. This would be ok if it was used extremely close to the events. Instead you get sequences like the Lab where you are stuck in crip walk mode for multiple sequences and instead of making things spooky, you get both frustrated and amused by how awful it is. It's laughable to see Samus cripple stalk around a building endlessly.

-Dragon's Lair Instant Deaths: What is this doing in a modern game, let alone a Metroid game? So regressive.

-No exploration: This is judging from about 4-5 hours in, but the game even closes off places you've been. It doesn't even let you mindlessly backtrack for explorations sake. And to be needlessly locked out of areas makes no sense. Why is this happening? It is one more reminder that this is a game.

-Linear as fuck: see above

I'm not going to get into the lack of music, but I will say it's another sign of how low tier this game is. If you stripped the Metroid title and characters, handed me this game and told me it was a $20 game off of steam then I would believe you. It's a cheap Ninja Gaiden/MGS hybrid of sorts. It doesn't qualify as even a $30 steam title since something like Trine was far more polished than this game. Other M has no music, no musical cues, horrible screen displays with black backgrounds that cover enemies on screen in the midst of battle, and not even a pause screen to adjust sound or brightness. The game just feels cheaply made in spite of the money obviously spent on the cinematics. The art is sometimes just laughable. The rest of the time its Dino from the Flinstones pinning you down.

Redeeming factors after 5 hours.

It is playable, the finishing moves are nice and feel rewarding, and some of the boss/miniminiboss fights are fun.

Top Bottom