• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

schennmu said:
She wants Samus to be like Elena or Chloe from Uncharted!
Ok, then make Adam like Nathan Drake and we're ready to go :lol

How is that NOT sexist?
They're basically just whiny eye candy with guns.

Story - I'm not going to get into the whole sexism thing, but there are some awful, awful moments with the voice acting. It could have been better, but despite the flaws on the way the it's told, the story itself was pretty good imo. There are some major plot holes though, one being
The death of Adam Malkovich. I went on a suicide mission to kill the Metroids, but the Queen is still alive for you to fight. What was the point?

To be fair...
The Metroids in sector 0 couldn't be killed by ice, plus they had assumed all the Metroids in the facility were in sector 0. The scientists lucked out with the Queen and used it for continuing research outside of the ones in sector 0, but it still maintained the ice weakness.

Glad I could help though!

desertdroog said:
Please don't wait so long for another Metroid game Nintendo...and I applaud the risk taken in bringing this game back to third person.
They should have an Other M: Sigma with Anthony Higgs mode.

Abbie basically says some comments on the internet are taking things too far. She mentions that her comment about not wanting to be friends with people who like this game was just sarcasm. She says the story would work out great if it was set earlier in the timeline but as is she doesn't think samus should be acting this way late in her career. She did like the story that didn't deal with the backstory of samus though. She also said she started to really enjoy the game at the end. They do bring up not liking the authorization of weapons from adam and propose other ways to do it. That's about it really.

KXMkM.jpg

wsippel

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
The death of Adam Malkovich. I went on a suicide mission to kill the Metroids, but the Queen is still alive for you to fight. What was the point?
I don't think Adam is dead. MB probably isn't dead, either. And I don't think the queen you've fought was even remotely important, and I believe the squad entering the scene at the very end were not important, either. MB smiles at the very end. All of that was a ruse I think.

The plot holes are that obvious and huge that they couldn't have been a mere oversight...

pulga

Banned
etiolate said:
Well after much story discussion, I can finally comment on the gameplay. Even after all my worries of the story making me want to pound my dick, the gameplay frustrations made me not even care any more.

Problems that could have been fixed with adding the nunchuk:

-This game is always just guessing what you mean to do. Did you mean to jump on that guy? Well jumped over him. Did you mean to shoot that guy or that guy? Did you mean to sense dodge?

Auto aim generally works, but if something is over your head then Samus will not even recognize it. So you dpad run away from it, then turn back so you can aim at it, but the enemy just shot a projectile and the game thought you meant to sense dodge. So now you roll forward, unleash that charge shot, but now you're again too close to the target and it flies off past it. This doesn't break the game, but its very frustrating and should never make it to the final stage of a Nintendo main franchise. This is AAA shit we're suppose to be making here.

-Firstperson/3rd person: This is doable, but annoying and totally disconnects you from the game. It gets very tiresome switching between the two, and if you want to really take in a room then get prepared for a lot of stop and go. Yes, constant stop and go in an action game.

Other Design Falures

-WHERE'S WALDO THE MINIGAME: Holy shit. This has given me the most dick pounding emotional moments of all. The graphics are not detailed, you have to oomph brightness to see shit and then you realize the textures are rather bland and average. Now the game freezes you out, sticks you in visor mode with limited range and waits for you to find some obscure or benign object before it lets you progress. So, so bad. Again, should have been cut. Was this game play tested? Shouldn't someone had said "wtf are you doing here?"

-The Crip Walk: This is where the game emphasizes to you that something peculiar or spooky is about to happen. This would be ok if it was used extremely close to the events. Instead you get sequences like the Lab where you are stuck in crip walk mode for multiple sequences and instead of making things spooky, you get both frustrated and amused by how awful it is. It's laughable to see Samus cripple stalk around a building endlessly.

-Dragon's Lair Instant Deaths: What is this doing in a modern game, let alone a Metroid game? So regressive.

-No exploration: This is judging from about 4-5 hours in, but the game even closes off places you've been. It doesn't even let you mindlessly backtrack for explorations sake. And to be needlessly locked out of areas makes no sense. Why is this happening? It is one more reminder that this is a game.

-Linear as fuck: see above

I'm not going to get into the lack of music, but I will say it's another sign of how low tier this game is. If you stripped the Metroid title and characters, handed me this game and told me it was a $20 game off of steam then I would believe you. It's a cheap Ninja Gaiden/MGS hybrid of sorts. It doesn't qualify as even a $30 steam title since something like Trine was far more polished than this game. Other M has no music, no musical cues, horrible screen displays with black backgrounds that cover enemies on screen in the midst of battle, and not even a pause screen to adjust sound or brightness. The game just feels cheaply made in spite of the money obviously spent on the cinematics. The art is sometimes just laughable. The rest of the time its Dino from the Flinstones pinning you down.

Redeeming factors after 5 hours.

It is playable, the finishing moves are nice and feel rewarding, and some of the boss/miniminiboss fights are fun.

Most of what you're complaining about is shit the majority of GAF has been praising or random nitpicking. Sounds to me you just suck at the game. But what do I know, I'm still waiting for the game to get here.

But I'm fairly certain you suck at it. Can't you sense move away from the enemy?

kiryogi

Banned
pulga said:
Most of what you're complaining about is shit the majority of GAF has been praising or random nitpicking. Sounds to me you just suck at the game. But what do I know, I'm still waiting for the game to get here.

But I'm fairly certain you suck at it. Can't you sense move away from the enemy?

I agree, he probably just sucks at it.

AceBandage said:
How is that NOT sexist?

The problem with this girl is that she has no idea what she's talking about.

I love the Uncharted games, but I didn't get the note that Elena and Chloe have suddenly become role models for modern women :lol

They also call Other M a watered down Fusion.

etiolate said:

At least we know you came in with an open mind...

Glix

wsippel said:
I don't think Adam is dead. MB probably isn't dead, either. And I don't think the queen you've fought was even remotely important, and I believe the squad entering the scene at the very end were not important, either. MB smiles at the very end. All of that was a ruse I think.

The plot holes are that obvious and huge that they couldn't have been a mere oversight...

My whole issue with that is couldn't Samus roll in, drop a few power bombs and then quickly roll out? Seemed like a silly sacrifice. Maybe the Lazurus project will rebuild him! :D

MadOdorMachine said:
If I were a mod I would change your tag to "Mission Complete!" You saved me a lot of frustration. Thanks so much!
No problem man! Glad I could help. I think that's one of the glaring weaknesses in this game. There are several things assumed, like the FPS mode searching, but it doesn't mesh as well as it should thus leading to frustration.

I still think the good truly outweighs the minor bad in this game which is why I'm on the Other M (and Anthony Higgs) defense force fo' life.

Glix said:
My whole issue with that is couldn't Samus roll in, drop a few power bombs and then quickly roll out? Seemed like a silly sacrifice. Maybe the Lazurus project will rebuild him! :D
Well...
it took a power bomb in the gut of a Queenie to get rid of it. Doubt it would've been that easy. =P

Boney

Banned
Ok reached the Lab, and although I've generally had no trouble with Samus voice actor, how come she can't make an angry voice? It felt so dull...

Glix

donkey show said:
Well...
it took a power bomb in the gut of a Queenie to get rid of it. Doubt it would've been that easy. =P

No, no, He even says that they just need to do enough damage to trigger the eject/self destruct sequence. The power bomb seems made for the task, it fucked up the room the queen was in pretty good. Hell, they could have gotten in Samus' ship and just shot up the Sector 0 part of the Bottle Ship for crying out loud.

Reminded me of Titanic. Leo, go find something else to lay on! "No, I must stay here and die, so I can hold Kate Winslet's hands!!!"

AniHawk

AceBandage said:
How is that NOT sexist?

Elena was good. Hell, she should've been the main character instead of the soulless psychopath Naughty Dog thought was a charming fellow. Unfortunately, Naughty Dog thought Elena's only true value was in a fridge. SMH.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Annoyed by the framerate. I expected more from Team Ninja in this regard. The framerate drops below 60 fps constantly. Some entire rooms are rendered slower. It doesn't drop hard, mind you, but it loses its smooth feeling quite often. Also, whenever you transition between rooms, the framerate drops from 60 fps as well. So, really, you don't spent that much time with a perfect 60. It still remains high enough as to not ruin the gameplay, but it definitely kills the polish.

This game is no Metroid Prime, though. Playing it makes me want to put the Prime Trilogy in the Wii instead.

horrible screen displays with black backgrounds that cover enemies on screen in the midst of battle, and not even a pause screen to adjust sound or brightness.
Well, I did find that certain types of Wii output methods combined with certain hardware results in serious black crush and darkening. No problem with component, but composite and HDMI (special adapter) result in this issue when run through my receiver. Made it unplayably dark, but it's totally fine now.

Red

I'm six hours in now, just fought what I'm going to assume is something that hatched out of the Ridley-looking wolf lizard beast.
It's the third or fourth time I've fought it, second encounter with it after saving Anthony.

Man this game is awesome. I love it. Can't wait to replay it.

PounchEnvy said:
Adam: "
I'm sorry for being rough with you earlier.
" Kinky.
Well, he did handle her when she was naive and inexperienced.

Glix said:
No, no, He even says that they just need to do enough damage to trigger the eject/self destruct sequence. The power bomb seems made for the task, it fucked up the room the queen was in pretty good. Hell, they could have gotten in Samus' ship and just shot up the Sector 0 part of the Bottle Ship for crying out loud.

Reminded me of Titanic. Leo, go find something else to lay on! "No, I must stay here and die, so I can hold Kate Winslet's hands!!!"
But did he self destruct it? :O

desertdroog

Oh yeah, and I grabbed the Trilogy limited edition at K-Mart for $49.99. Thanks to this thread for reminding me about it. Double-Dip Get! It will be nice to do the first two primes with the Wii control scheme.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
etiolate said:
Problems that could have been fixed with adding the nunchuk:

-This game is always just guessing what you mean to do. Did you mean to jump on that guy? Well jumped over him. Did you mean to shoot that guy or that guy? Did you mean to sense dodge?

Auto aim generally works, but if something is over your head then Samus will not even recognize it. So you dpad run away from it, then turn back so you can aim at it, but the enemy just shot a projectile and the game thought you meant to sense dodge. So now you roll forward, unleash that charge shot, but now you're again too close to the target and it flies off past it. This doesn't break the game, but its very frustrating and should never make it to the final stage of a Nintendo main franchise. This is AAA shit we're suppose to be making here.

-Firstperson/3rd person: This is doable, but annoying and totally disconnects you from the game. It gets very tiresome switching between the two, and if you want to really take in a room then get prepared for a lot of stop and go. Yes, constant stop and go in an action game.

I really feel like the only people who are going to put up with the controls in this game are the die hard Metroid and Team Ninja fans. They really are inaccessible for the average gamer and anyone who says they aren't gimped are drinking some bad ass kool aid.

The nun chuck would have solved a lot of issues you're right. The auto aim works most of the time, but in the 2D games, you hold down the left shoulder button IIRC to aim up. This could have been remedied. Here's my ideal set up with the Wii remote and nun chuck:

Third Person

B & A - Shoot and Jump. These can be switched in the option menu but I think it would probably work better this way as default.

D-Pad down - Morph Ball

Minus button - Selects missiles

Z button - Lock on to your target.

C button - Switch to first person.

This is a traditional Metroid setup. In addition, you could use the pointer to help navigate the auto aim. This would be handy for those guys on the ceiling or if you want to shoot behind you.

First person

B button - Shoot

Z button - Lock onto your target.

A button - Dodge

Having the controls set up this way in first person would be the exact opposite of the way the game is currently designed. In other words, now when you enter first person mode, your view is fixed and you have to hold down "B" to free look. In my way, it would be the exact opposite. Whenever you enter first person mode you would be in free look and whenever you found your target, you would lock onto it. It would also give you the ability to dodge, but you still wouldn't be able to walk around.

I also think this control set up would have opened up other options. I'm not against the first person mode, I just wish you could shoot missiles in third person. Having first person does mix up the monotony though and could have added much needed gameplay changes. I would rather them have had sections where first person was mandatory, just in a different way - as mini games. I also would have liked the grappling hook to have been used to strip away armor in first person mode like in MP3.

Nessus

Boney said:
It boggles my mind that some of you have problems with the missiles. It feels so good spamming 3 missiles and bam, bye bye stuff.

Maybe I'm a consumer whore and apologist that likes to be raped in the ass... i don't know...

I feel the same way about the controls in general.

The "NES" style I have had no problems with whatsoever.

I'm actually very surprised because of all the complaining I heard about it before I actually got a chance to try it. And it doesn't seem like a d-pad should work so well in a 3D game, but for me it does. Unequivocally.

I honestly don't feel like the game needs or would even noticeably benefit from having an analog stick.

Every once in a while I forget to point at the right place on the screen while switching to first person and the game loses track of the pointer for a couple seconds, but by and large I've had no issues with that either.

Yes, the over the shoulder bits are annoying, as are the forced "Where's Waldo" bits (which wouldn't be *so* bad if they'd just increase the detectable area for the point you're looking for. They actually seem to add a delay so you must hold the cursor over it longer than you would to scan anything in the actual game), and the game would be better without them.

Kard8p3

dark10x said:
Annoyed by the framerate. I expected more from Team Ninja in this regard. The framerate drops below 60 fps constantly. Some entire rooms are rendered slower. It doesn't drop hard, mind you, but it loses its smooth feeling quite often. Also, whenever you transition between rooms, the framerate drops from 60 fps as well. So, really, you don't spent that much time with a perfect 60. It still remains high enough as to not ruin the gameplay, but it definitely kills the polish.

This game is no Metroid Prime, though. Playing it makes me want to put the Prime Trilogy in the Wii instead.

Well, I did find that certain types of Wii output methods combined with certain hardware results in serious black crush and darkening. No problem with component, but composite and HDMI (special adapter) result in this issue when run through my receiver. Made it unplayably dark, but it's totally fine now.

This is the first time I've heard about framerate problems. Does it really constantly drop?

Kard8p3 said:
This is the first time I've heard about framerate problems. Does it really constantly drop?

Yes, a lot :( It doesn't really bother me because the game is a technical marvel for a Wii game already. Still that extra polish would have been nice.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Nessus said:

I'm actually very surprised because of all the complaining I heard about it before I actually got a chance to try it. And it doesn't seem like a d-pad should work so well in a 3D game, but for me it does. Unequivocally.

I honestly don't feel like the game needs or would even noticeably benefit from having an analog stick.

Every once in a while I forget to point at the right place on the screen while switching to first person and the game loses track of the pointer for a couple seconds, but by and large I've had no issues with that either.

Yes, the over the shoulder bits are annoying, as are the forced "Where's Waldo" bits (which wouldn't be *so* bad if they'd just increase the detectable area for the point you're looking for. They actually seem to add a delay so you must hold the cursor over it longer than you would to scan anything in the actual game), and the game would be better without them.
The problem with the NES set up isn't so much moving around with the d-pad although it does suck that it's so tiny. The problem with the NES set up is that you're constantly having to switch positions and there aren't enough buttons to do what needs to be done. They got around it the best they could, but it could have been a lot better. See my posts above about controls to see why this is such a problem if they're wanting to expand the audience.

BARKSTAR

Banned
I'm a huge Metroid fan and am currrently 6 hours into the experience. I have to honestly say though that anyone complaining that this game is D-Pad only is spot on. What a stupid design decision and it is a stumbling block to making this game what it could have been.

As has already been mentioned the animation of Samus and the way she moves around the environment is superb and should really be handled using the analogue stick. This also leaves the free hand aiming at the screen for the first person pointing controls which would have been much better considering the use of missiles has been limited to this mode only. Switching between the two I handle fairly effortlessly but it still seems way off.

The game also seems fairly linear so far and I know this will annoy many but I am a fan of Super Metroid, Fusion, Prime 1 and Prime 3: Corruption so I don't mind how the game progresses being altered every so often. I do hope exploration opens itself a bit more later into the game.

Graphics are great for the most part but the music in the game so far is very disappointing. After the tunes in Super Metroid and the Prime games this is a bit of a shame.

Metroid fans should definitely give this a go as it is a direction in gameplay that I am glad to see the game go towards but the controls really are the most ridiculous decision I've come across in a while. For a next gen game of a major franchise to have been released with this flaw really is a shame and I very much doubt I'll be giving it another playthrough due to the uncomfortable nature this provides. A pity.

dwebo

please help with the waldo part :(

In the outside area? Look at the
green slime on the ground behind you
. That took me awhile too :lol

edit: damnit!

Also, I just fought the
crane machine
at the end of section 2(?).
Samus then proceeds to NOT CHECK the freakin' thing to find out who the traitor is, and then rides the elevator thinking to herself, "hmm, who could the traitor be?"
Really, Samus, really?

Glix

Nessus said:

Yeah, the Dpad works great. The game is designed with it in mind, and it is NOTHING like the nightmare that was Mario64 DS.

You are correct with the complaints as well. The first person parts are awful. I don't think you have to hold it over longer, I think you can't be holding B. You have to hit B on the right area, at least thats how it seems to me. Those parts are AWFUL.

The Tank Control over the shoulder parts are just plain silly.

Neither of these things ruin the game, they just annoy the few times they pop up.

Boney

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
green blood on the ground behind samus
Bah, I saw that, but nothing happened. Thanks dude!

These are by far the worst parts of the games, and no reviewer brought 'em up :lol

Boney said:
please help with the waldo part :(

That's right after the sequence where you were
pinned down by the monster and had to shoot it's tail with rockets
right?

If so....

green goo on the floor

Edit: Too late

Threi

notag
I have encountered no enemy so far that is so far out of reach that jumping + shooting at them couldn't make the autoaim work. Why would you intentionally stay directly beneath an enemy and try to shoot it?

wsippel

Banned
Glix said:
That's the thing:
The only plausible reason Adam shot Samus was to make sure she wouldn't do what you suggested. And that only makes sense if he needed time to capture a Metroid or two and evacuate before the whole lab goes to hell. If my theory is correct, there was no sacrifice. Even better, Samus would be left to attest his death. Don't forget that Samus and Adam haven't met in at least a decade at that point. People change...

Red

What bothers me more than the frame rate drops are the loading screens. Feels like Mass Effect 1 at some parts, with three second holds in the action before the next section comes up. Not sure why the "invisible" loading from the Prime games wasn't used.
donkey show said:
Exactly. I need to take some vids to show you guys how it's done. =P I honestly never felt hindered by the NES controls at all, especially during combat. If I messed up, it was my fault.
Seems to me there are a lot of blind spots around Samus. I run into it more often with weak enemies like Geemers (probably because they are more numerous): Samus will look almost right at one, but not quite, and shoot like half a foot off to the side. It's frustrating, but it's like split-second frustrating and doesn't hinder the flow too much.

Threi said:
I have encountered no enemy so far that is so far out of reach that jumping + shooting at them couldn't make the autoaim work. Why would you intentionally stay directly beneath an enemy and try to shoot it?
Exactly. I need to take some vids to show you guys how it's done. =P I honestly never felt hindered by the NES controls at all, especially during combat. If I messed up, it was my fault.

I honestly don't think I'd be able to do this boss battle if I had the issues that y'all are bringing up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuPMcdmwUV0

But hey, if it doesn't click, it doesn't click.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
BARKSTAR said:
I'm a huge Metroid fan and am currrently 6 hours into the experience. I have to honestly say though that anyone complaining that this game is D-Pad only is spot on. What a stupid design decision and it is a stumbling block to making this game what it could have been.

As has already been mentioned the animation of Samus and the way she moves around the environment is superb and should really be handled using the analogue stick. This also leaves the free hand aiming at the screen for the first person pointing controls which would have been much better considering the use of missiles has been limited to this mode only. Switching between the two I handle fairly effortlessly but it still seems way off.

The game also seems fairly linear so far and I know this will annoy many but I am a fan of Super Metroid, Fusion, Prime 1 and Prime 3: Corruption so I don't mind how the game progresses being altered every so often. I do hope exploration opens itself a bit more later into the game.

Graphics are great for the most part but the music in the game so far is very disappointing. After the tunes in Super Metroid and the Prime games this is a bit of a shame.

Metroid fans should definitely give this a go as it is a direction in gameplay that I am glad to see the game go towards but the controls really are the most ridiculous decision I've come across in a while. For a next gen game of a major franchise to have been released with this flaw really is a shame and I very much doubt I'll be giving it another playthrough due to the uncomfortable nature this provides. A pity.
Exactly. It isn't that the game isn't unplayable, but it could have been so much better. I'm curious what people who have no attachment to Metroid or Team Ninja think about the controls.

Glix

Crunched said:
What bothers me more than the frame rate drops are the loading screens. Feels like Mass Effect 1 at some parts, with three second holds in the action before the next section comes up. Not sure why the "invisible" loading from the Prime games wasn't used.

Am I not seeing this because I ripped the game to my drive? Or maybe you have a bad laser?

Or do you mean the elevators? They were nothing compared to ME :D

Poyunch

So I'm doing some item hunting since I've given some freedom now and I need some help. What do I do with the Grapple Beam point in the glass area where you fight the chameleons for the first time? I already have the grapple beam.

Glix said:
Am I not seeing this because I ripped the game to my drive? Or maybe you have a bad laser?

They pop up every once in a while. It is pretty disruptive. I was doing some wall jumping and it loaded in the middle of a jump. I got disoriented and fell only for it load again.

Threi

notag
MadOdorMachine said:
Exactly. It isn't that the game isn't unplayable, but it could have been so much better. I'm curious what people who have no attachment to Metroid or Team Ninja think about the controls.
They're fine.

Red

Glix said:

No, like running down a hall or midway through a large area the game will freeze for a moment, then "loading" shows up on the bottom right of the screen. Usually lasts between 2-4 seconds. It's happened maybe a dozen times so far (six hours of play time). Happened a couple times on the bridge facing the volcano in the fire sector, just as a reference point.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Threi said:
Auto lock is more of a problem in first person for me, especially when there are multiple enemies. There are times when it's really hard to get a shot off because you can't move/dodge. That's why I said on the previous page that it could have been remedied by using the nun chuck. Auto aim works for the most part brilliantly in third person, but I wish I could have locked onto an enemy and concentrate fire on him - similar to Zelda, Metroid Prime or Ninja Gaiden. Instead, you have to kind of run around to re-calibrate. Auto aim for the most part works well though.

Threi

notag
MadOdorMachine said:
Auto lock is more of a problem in first person for me, especially when there are multiple enemies. There are times when it's really hard to get a shot off because you can't move/dodge. That's why I said on the previous page that it could have been remedied by using the nun chuck. Auto aim works for the most part brilliantly in third person, but I wish I could have locked onto an enemy and concentrate fire on him - similar to Zelda, Metroid Prime or Ninja Gaiden. Instead, you have to kind of run around to re-calibrate. Auto aim for the most part works well though.
I'm guessing you are referring to the hive things that pop up regularly and have to blow apart with missles, there are two ways to go about that:

1) Shoot all the bugs beforehand and blow up the hive before it spits out more
2) Release the B button and fire charge beams/just spam the place

nunchuck would have solved nothing. Z-Targeting would still present issues with multiple enemies, and if you wanted movement while in first-person then you essentially would just make it metroid prime. I think some people are missing the point here that the first person mode isn't an ideal way of aiming, it's a supplementary tool to solve puzzles. Its essentially arguing that you should be in the x-ray visor 24/7 in the prime games.

Top Bottom