• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Hiltz

The D-pad is tiny on the Wii remote ? I have big hands and there's no complaints from me about it. Now the D-pad on the DS Lite is another story. If anything, I think it would have been nice during combat if Samus could slow down and not move as fast.

I'm just happy that the d-pad in Other M works well enough to get the job done.

For the record, I am not fan of the over the shoulder mode and the forced FPS sections where you have to search for something that's generally hard to spot. Sadly, I don't even know why Sakamoto and Team Ninja felt the need to include such features.

The Hermit

Just finished the game, the credits are rolling right now.

Its fun, but too short. Loved the way I unlocked the power bomb, that shit is powerful indeed. Still, its one of the worst Metroid I've played, I still wonder if it is better or worse than Fusion.
I am gonna reload the save so I can 100%... I wonder what will be the surprise.

Also about the plot :
Wasn't Adam the AI in Fusion? The fact he desintegrated makes that kinda hard, doesn't it?

EDIT: Whoa WTF!!

Boney

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
Auto lock is more of a problem in first person for me, especially when there are multiple enemies. There are times when it's really hard to get a shot off because you can't move/dodge. That's why I said on the previous page that it could have been remedied by using the nun chuck. Auto aim works for the most part brilliantly in third person, but I wish I could have locked onto an enemy and concentrate fire on him - similar to Zelda, Metroid Prime or Ninja Gaiden. Instead, you have to kind of run around to re-calibrate. Auto aim for the most part works well though.
If you want to deal damage to one specific enemy. Then jump on top of him.

Threi

notag
schennmu said:
Thanks for showing off the excellence of the boss battles in this game. It will take me some time to master the game like that.

And I'm going to say it again: NES controls > Shitty Nunchuck
Not necessarily that, but the game was designed with the NES controls in mind, and it works. Adding nunchuk support wouldn't be detrimental by no means, but it definitely wouldn't have made any significant improvement. Could they have made a different game structure designed after Wiimote + Nunchuk support? Sure, and it may or may not have been more fun to people. I'm not going to argue hypotheticals though, my stance is the controls they have in this game work absolutely fine for their intended use.

Kard8p3

dwebo said:
In the outside area? Look at the
green slime on the ground behind you
. That took me awhile too :lol

edit: damnit!

Also, I just fought the
crane machine
at the end of section 2(?).
Samus then proceeds to NOT CHECK the freakin' thing to find out who the traitor is, and then rides the elevator thinking to herself, "hmm, who could the traitor be?"
Really, Samus, really?

during that point it shows that he had already left

Red

Threi said:
Not necessarily that, but the game was designed with the NES controls in mind, and it works. Adding nunchuk support wouldn't be detrimental by no means, but it definitely wouldn't have made any significant improvement. Could they have made a different game structure designed after Wiimote + Nunchuk support? Sure, and it may or may not have been more fun to people. I'm not going to argue hypotheticals though, my stance is the controls they have in this game work absolutely fine for their intended use.
For all my complaining, I more or less agree with you.

I also think pointing the Wii remote at the screen to activate first person aiming is a great idea, and they've done well implementing it. I just don't like the Wii control system, the hardware side of things.

donkey show said:
I honestly don't think I'd be able to do this boss battle if I had the issues that y'all are bringing up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuPMcdmwUV0

That is damn impressive. I don't know if I could accomplish that in Hard mode.

PounchEnvy said:
So I'm doing some item hunting since I've given some freedom now and I need some help. What do I do with the Grapple Beam point in the glass area where you fight the chameleons for the first time? I already have the grapple beam.

I noticed not long after I got the grapple beam I went back there and the grapple beam point had moved away from where I could reach it. I came back after
another battle in there
and then it had moved back into place and you could use it.

etiolate

Banned
pulga said:
Most of what you're complaining about is shit the majority of GAF has been praising or random nitpicking. Sounds to me you just suck at the game. But what do I know, I'm still waiting for the game to get here.

But I'm fairly certain you suck at it. Can't you sense move away from the enemy?

We've reached Poe's Law point with you. Troll someone else.

Quick Question:

Is there any penalty for choosing to continue after you die? As opposed to just restarting from your last save? Is there any negative to doing this or is there no reason not to?

Red

farnham said:
Which one is the best ?

Meta Ridley, Omega Ridley or Ridley in Other M ?
Omega Ridley was the most memorable Ridley fight for me out of the entire series. I finished it with literally 1 point of health left :lol

Haven't got to Ridley yet in Other M.

farnham

Banned
Crunched said:
Omega Ridley was the most memorable Ridley fight for me out of the entire series. I finished it with literally 1 point of health left :lol

Haven't got to Ridley yet in Other M.
I loved how you could Zoom in and snipe his heart.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Threi said:
I'm guessing you are referring to the hive things that pop up regularly and have to blow apart with missles, there are two ways to go about that:

1) Shoot all the bugs beforehand and blow up the hive before it spits out more
2) Release the B button and fire charge beams/just spam the place

nunchuck would have solved nothing. Z-Targeting would still present issues with multiple enemies, and if you wanted movement while in first-person then you essentially would just make it metroid prime. I think some people are missing the point here that the first person mode isn't an ideal way of aiming, it's a supplementary tool to solve puzzles. Its essentially arguing that you should be in the x-ray visor 24/7 in the prime games.
There are a lot of times when you need to shoot something in first person and there are other enemies present that you automatically lock onto. The problem is that when you go into first person mode, you pretty much need to be holding down the "B" button so you can get your shot off in time. This frequently locked me onto the wrong guy. My control scheme on page 104 would have fixed this. Yes, it uses the nun chuck. There are also times when you're forced to be in first person mode as well so there's no getting around it.

In third person, locking onto an enemy would mainly be needed for boss/mini boss fights. It would allow you to concentrate your fire on certain enemies while evading attack. All in all, the auto aim is pretty good though and quite a ways down on my list of complaints.

etiolate

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
I really feel like the only people who are going to put up with the controls in this game are the die hard Metroid and Team Ninja fans. They really are inaccessible for the average gamer and anyone who says they aren't gimped are drinking some bad ass kool aid.

The nun chuck would have solved a lot of issues you're right. The auto aim works most of the time, but in the 2D games, you hold down the left shoulder button IIRC to aim up. This could have been remedied. Here's my ideal set up with the Wii remote and nun chuck:

Third Person

B & A - Shoot and Jump. These can be switched in the option menu but I think it would probably work better this way as default.

D-Pad down - Morph Ball

Minus button - Selects missiles

Z button - Lock on to your target.

C button - Switch to first person.

This is a traditional Metroid setup. In addition, you could use the pointer to help navigate the auto aim. This would be handy for those guys on the ceiling or if you want to shoot behind you.

First person

B button - Shoot

Z button - Lock onto your target.

A button - Dodge

Having the controls set up this way in first person would be the exact opposite of the way the game is currently designed. In other words, now when you enter first person mode, your view is fixed and you have to hold down "B" to free look. In my way, it would be the exact opposite. Whenever you enter first person mode you would be in free look and whenever you found your target, you would lock onto it. It would also give you the ability to dodge, but you still wouldn't be able to walk around.

I also think this control set up would have opened up other options. I'm not against the first person mode, I just wish you could shoot missiles in third person. Having first person does mix up the monotony though and could have added much needed gameplay changes. I would rather them have had sections where first person was mandatory, just in a different way - as mini games. I also would have liked the grappling hook to have been used to strip away armor in first person mode like in MP3.

What about the pointer? I was thinking the Wiimote pointer could be used for more direct aiming via a reticule on screen.

farnham said:
Which one is the best ?

Meta Ridley, Omega Ridley or Ridley in Other M ?
Roidley (hard mode) in Other M as evidenced in my vid above. Don't get me wrong, the other Ridley fights were insanely awesome, but with the combination of sweet lethal strikes, sense moving like none other, and being on the ropes the whole damn time really kept me engaged and ultimately satisfied.

RagnarokX

wsippel said:
That's the thing:
The only plausible reason Adam shot Samus was to make sure she wouldn't do what you suggested. And that only makes sense if he needed time to capture a Metroid or two and evacuate before the whole lab goes to hell. If my theory is correct, there was no sacrifice. Even better, Samus would be left to attest his death. Don't forget that Samus and Adam haven't met in at least a decade at that point. People change...
Have you never played Fusion?
Adam's mind is uploaded to a computer. He's dead.

dwebo

Kard8p3 said:
during that point it shows that he had already left

Yeah, when she's riding on the elevator. But right after the machine crumples, she could've busted it open to see who the driver was! Especially with the game showing Malkovich giving her orders to leave, showing just his mouth...
Ah, whatever :lol

Nessus

Glix said:
Yeah, the Dpad works great. The game is designed with it in mind, and it is NOTHING like the nightmare that was Mario64 DS.

Exactly. Mario 64 DS was basically unplayable with the d-pad. This is nothing like that.

Kard8p3

dwebo said:
Yeah, when she's riding on the elevator. But right after the machine crumples, she could've busted it open to see who the driver was! Especially with the game showing Malkovich giving her orders to leave, showing just his mouth...
Ah, whatever :lol

I was actually talking about the part right after the fight is over. She walks over to it and see's he's not there anymore.

SYNTAX182

donkey show said:
I honestly don't think I'd be able to do this boss battle if I had the issues that y'all are bringing up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuPMcdmwUV0

Goodness, that looks so, so good. This is how I'd imagine a Metroid game to be and Samus moves/animates perfectly from watching this. What the fuck guys, how can you not like this? Naw. Prime 4 would be so boring and predictable of Nintendo. I hope Nintendo does not listen to feedback and keeps thinking out the box.

heringer

I think the d-pad controls works great, I love it, but I can understand people that doesn't like it. I know that Sakamoto had this vision of a "modern NES game" but they should at least give the option. I hope they fix that in a sequel that will (hopefully) come.

Anyway, I'm absolutely in love with this game. Haters be damned. There are flaws that should be addressed in the future, but I think the package as a whole is excelent and worthy of the Metroid name.

etiolate

Banned
To G4 Crew:

I know there was a lot of misogynistic and histrionic responses, but show some appreciation for those of us who tried desperately to steer the conversation into civil and debatable realms.

Also, you're free to invoke my deconstructionist argument versus Sakamoto.

dwebo

Kard8p3 said:
I was actually talking about the part right after the fight is over. She walks over to it and see's he's not there anymore.

My bad - didn't notice that bit.
Of course, him pulling a Houdini out of that machine without her noticing is even more unbelievable! /sigh

Boney

Banned
etiolate said:
To G4 Crew:

I know there was a lot of misogynistic and histrionic responses, but show some appreciation for those of us who tried desperately to steer the conversation into civil and debatable realms.

Also, you're free to invoke my deconstructionist argument versus Sakamoto.
what's this?

Kard8p3

dwebo said:
My bad - didn't notice that bit.
Of course, him pulling a Houdini out of that machine without her noticing is even more unbelievable! /sigh

Yeah after him disappearing like that I'm pretty convinced that batman is the deleter.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Threi said:
They could have built the game around tilt controls and made it work too. That doesn't mean it's a good design choice though. I have a question for everyone praising the controls.

1. If this were any other game besides a Metroid or Team Ninja game, would you feel the same way? If this would have been a Zelda game (let's say Skyward Sword) and you would have been required to kill certain enemies with a sub weapon (bow and arrow, bombs, etc.) in first person mode like this, would you still give it such high praises?

2. How do you think someone who has either never played a game or hasn't played a game since the NES will react to the controls? Do you think they will find them inviting or be confused by having to switch between the two set ups so much?

3. Can you think of any other game that requires as drastic and constant change of the control set up as this? I can't think of one and there's a reason for that.

The game has a control identity crisis. It doesn't know what it wants to be. It's trying to be a third person action game, but the developers hampered themselves. I enjoyed the game, but it has some very, very huge flaws. It's the equivalent to a kid on the playground and saying "I'm only going to play on the swing. Forget the slide, forget the monkey bars, forget climbing ropes, etc. etc. because the first time I ever played on the playground, I rode on the swing."

Glix

MadOdorMachine said:
They could have built the game around tilt controls and made it work too. That doesn't mean it's a good design choice though. I have a question for everyone praising the controls.

1. If this were any other game besides a Metroid or Team Ninja game, would you feel the same way? If this would have been a Zelda game (let's say Skyward Sword) and you would have been required to kill certain enemies with a sub weapon (bow and arrow, bombs, etc.) in first person mode like this, would you still give it such high praises?

2. How do you think someone who has either never played a game or hasn't played a game since the NES will react to the controls? Do you think they will find them inviting or be confused by having to switch between the two set ups so much?

3. Can you think of any other game that requires as drastic and constant change of the control set up as this? I can't think of one and there's a reason for that.

The game has a control identity crisis. It doesn't know what it wants to be. It's trying to be a third person action game, but the developers hampered themselves. I enjoyed the game, but it has some very, very huge flaws. It's the equivalent to a kid on the playground and saying "I'm only going to play on the swing. Forget the slide, forget the monkey bars, forget climbing ropes, etc. etc. because the first time I ever played on the playground, I rode on the swing."

1. Yes, its a good scheme on its own merits. I was able to get through the game with no problem and it was fast, fluid and fun.

2. I don't give a shit, and I'm unable to answer, ask someone who hasn't played since NES

3. There are many games with super-complex schemes with modifier buttons and all kinds of shit. Yeah, you have to point the wiimote at the screen. Geez, you must really have a problem with Warioware Smooth Moves, eh?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
etiolate said:
What about the pointer? I was thinking the Wiimote pointer could be used for more direct aiming via a reticule on screen.
Yeah, kind of like Sin and Punishment but more simplified. That's why I said you could use it to direct the auto aim, for instance at the ceiling or aim behind you and shoot while you're running forward. I do think the game needs some auto aiming assistance and I wouldn't want to make this overly complicated especially when there's so much action going on. For the most part the game would play like it is, but when you needed to call on the reticle, you could use the "Z" button to move it similar to previous Metroid games.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Glix said:
1. Yes, its a good scheme on its own merits. I was able to get through the game with no problem and it was fast, fluid and fun.

2. I don't give a shit, and I'm unable to answer, ask someone who hasn't played since NES

3. There are many games with super-complex schemes with modifier buttons and all kinds of shit. Yeah, you have to point the wiimote at the screen. Geez, you must really have a problem with Warioware Smooth Moves, eh?
To each his own I guess. I think people would be ready to murder someone if they changed the control setup of the next Zelda to this. As far as Wario Ware, I've never played it, but it sounds like a bunch of mini games.

Red

Having only played post-B.O.X.-like robot I am pretty sure the deleter is
James. He's the first one in the monitor room where you discover the Zebesians, messing with a computer, which kind of points the finger his direction.

Kard8p3

PounchEnvy said:
And just like that it's over. :(

It had to be K.G. he was the only one left.

K.G. was the only one not found because he got thrown in the lava. Remember the place where you told MB to stay till you got back? Think of who you found there instead when you returned. There's your deleter.

Threi

notag
MadOdorMachine said:
Yes. If Zelda was Wiimote only and it worked, I would defend it. I am not praising the controls, I am saying they work.

MadOdorMachine said:
I think someone who hasn't played a game since NES will have troubles learning a game as fast-paced as metroid, controls aside. That is due to videogames being foreign to them for so long. At the same time, I believe that theory applies to people having troubles with the controls here as well. Switching from first to third person is not confusing at all, on the contrary, it's an extremely simple concept. You point when you want to point. That's all there is to it. However, it's a foreign mechanic to many gamers. (most are used to pressing a button/not manipulating the controller itself)

Difference being, a casual gamer will claim the game is beyond them, their ability is flawed, not the game. A gamer, however, will claim the game is flawed, not their ability.

MadOdorMachine said:
Yeah, the reason for that specifically is that the Wii's unique control interface. Also, the control set up is not very drastic. All you are doing is pointing at the screen when you want to point at the screen. Outside of the forced look segments, YOU control when and how you implement the first person mode. If the transition stays awkward throughout the game it is because YOU are using it at awkward moments. In that boss battle video highlighted above you do need to use first person mode. The point is, though, that you have to decide when it is the best time to use it. If he goes right up to ridley's face and tries to shoot a missle at it, and gets killed, why is it the game's fault? Why is it the control interface's fault? That is where some of the unique difficulty of the game comes into play, and difficult doesn't automatically equal flawed, especially when there are people who don't have problems with it.

There are parts in metroid prime where you can't effectively fight bosses until you scan them first, or use the x-ray visor to uncover weak spots. This is no different. Your X-Ray visor is not your primary combat tool, and neither is first-person in this game. Stop trying to make it become one, stop trying to make a metroid prime out of other m. Conventions in that game are no longer in this one.

MadOdorMachine said:
The game has no such thing. It is Team Ninja's take on Metroid, the fans are the ones having the problem trying to categorize it.

etiolate

Banned
Threi:

It was revealed in the Iwata Asks that the wiimote only controls were Sakamoto's decision even when it was shown to limit what they could do. It is possible Team Ninja's take on this game involved the nunchuck, but was vetoed for some strange sense of nostalgia.

etiolate said:
Threi:

It was revealed in the Iwata Asks that the wiimote only controls were Sakamoto's decision even when it was shown to limit what they could do. It is possible Team Ninja's take on this game involved the nunchuck, but was vetoed for some strange sense of nostalgia.
But it was ultimately it was Team Ninja's interpretation of Sakamoto's decision.

Hayashi said:
Of course, lots of other Team NINJA members apart from me had played the 2D action Metroid games when they were first launched, and I think that's why they could catch on quickly too. Even when we entered into discussions about the exact game specifications, we were able to share ideas with relative ease. Furthermore, we had various fixations, or philosophies, regarding Metroid from an action game maker's point of view. That's why the challenge of making 'a NES game with the latest technology' in the Metroid style was really interesting for us, and we considered this project a really great opportunity.

Top Bottom