• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Played a bit more and I am liking it more each time. This time I fought this new mini boss type creature that was huge, great battle. I am totally comfortable with missiles, I don't see the first person switching to be confusing, I am in the group that thinks this game controls just fine. The action is fun as hell and so far they keep things interesting. I went through an area that was basically a small puzzle involving water, nicely done and I hope for more of that. I am seeing more and more items just out of reach, seems Metroid like finally. BUT I am still moving down one set path, hopefully that changes.

I just reached a section that turned this fun action game into a slow paced fake horror game. I don't get the RE4 like sections, why slow everything down and for no reason, you can't do anything in this mode. Can't wait to be done with that section to get back to the action.

Boney

Banned
etiolate said:
Threi:

It was revealed in the Iwata Asks that the wiimote only controls were Sakamoto's decision even when it was shown to limit what they could do. It is possible Team Ninja's take on this game involved the nunchuck, but was vetoed for some strange sense of nostalgia.
If by nostalgia you mean lookin at Metroid for the Famicom that sold over a million units, and then looking at Zero Mision and seeing it around 70k, then sure.

I don't think it's gonna elevate sales that much, but I hope I'm wrong.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Threi said:
Yes. If Zelda was Wiimote only and it worked, I would defend it. I am not praising the controls, I am saying they work.
Well, if you put it like that then I agree. Yeah they work, but that doesn't mean it's the ideal way I would want to play a game. This isn't like comparing PC KB&M controls to dual analog or even Wii remote and nun chuck. In no way is this the best control method they could have used for the game.

Threi said:
I think someone who hasn't played a game since NES will have troubles learning a game as fast-paced as metroid, controls aside. That is due to videogames being foreign to them for so long. At the same time, I believe that theory applies to people having troubles with the controls here as well. Switching from first to third person is not confusing at all, on the contrary, it's an extremely simple concept. You point when you want to point. That's all there is to it. However, it's a foreign mechanic to many gamers. (most are used to pressing a button/not manipulating the controller itself)

Difference being, a casual gamer will claim the game is beyond them, their ability is flawed, not the game. A gamer, however, will claim the game is flawed, not their ability.
Ding, ding, ding. That's exactly my point! This isn't a game for new comers. The game is a hardcore action game. I'm not saying things can't be simplified, there's a lot about this game I do like. What I'm saying is they built the game around appealing to casuals with an overly simplistic control set up that's guaranteed to turn off more people than it turns on. That's not good whenever it's your fan base and newcomers.

Threi said:
Yeah, the reason for that specifically is that the Wii's unique control interface. Also, the control set up is not very drastic. All you are doing is pointing at the screen when you want to point at the screen. Outside of the forced look segments, YOU control when and how you implement the first person mode. If the transition stays awkward throughout the game it is because YOU are using it at awkward moments. In that boss battle video highlighted above you do need to use first person mode. The point is, though, that you have to decide when it is the best time to use it. If he goes right up to ridley's face and tries to shoot a missle at it, and gets killed, why is it the game's fault? Why is it the control interface's fault? That is where some of the unique difficulty of the game comes into play, and difficult doesn't automatically equal flawed, especially when there are people who don't have problems with it.

There are parts in metroid prime where you can't effectively fight bosses until you scan them first, or use the x-ray visor to uncover weak spots. This is no different. Your X-Ray visor is not your primary combat tool, and neither is first-person in this game. Stop trying to make it become one, stop trying to make a metroid prime out of other m. Conventions in that game are no longer in this one.
How hard is it to press a button to switch to first person view in Ninja Gaiden or Zelda? It's not. The difference is that you don't have to change the way you hold the controller to do it. By the developers own admission, shooting missiles were made mandatory because they were unwilling to move beyond the singe Wii remote set up which has less buttons. Does the switch work? Yes. It would have been fine if they would have made some parts of the game use it, but to force it every time you want to use a missile ruins the flow of the game.
Threi said:
The game has no such thing. It is Team Ninja's take on Metroid, the fans are the ones having the problem trying to categorize it.
Yes it does. We've already gone over it with the casual controls vs. hardcore gameplay. The controls are gimped. There's no getting around the fact that they could have been astronomically better. We could be playing a game that completely revolutionized the action genre. Instead we're arguing over this. It's a shame too.

etiolate

Banned
Boney said:
If by nostalgia you mean lookin at Metroid for the Famicom that sold over a million units, and then looking at Zero Mision and seeing it around 70k, then sure.

I don't think it's gonna elevate sales that much, but I hope I'm wrong.

what does that have to do with what we're talking about

ptown

Just played MOM today and looks like this game got me stuck early on just like Super Metroid did.

Sometimes the Metroid series just confuses me so bad... :lol

hamchan

They managed to make the controls work but why bother when there's a perfectly good nunchuck system that would have made the game a lot more comfortable to play.

Boney said:
the design "limitations" are there for a reason.

I doubt these limitations will impact sales at all.

Poyunch

Kard8p3 said:
K.G. was the only one not found because he got thrown in the lava. Remember the place where you told MB to stay till you got back? Think of who you found there instead when you returned. There's your deleter.
I didn't pay close enough attention. :(

Man some of the bosses in here are either epic or make you feel like an asshole after you beat them. I was seriously getting pissed after one (mid?)Boss was kicking my ass only to realize that I was fighting him wrong. When it appeared again I was a like FUUUUUUUUUU.

I don't know if it's a good thing that I dread seeing some enemies or not but man I really hate some of the enemies in this game.

and yet the
volcano dragon
was awesome and I really felt like a boss after beating it.....

This game moves from awesome to fuck this shit mode constantly.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Boney said:
That's not my case. Where does that leave us?
I'm going to make a prediction. In the future when all the newness has faded, discussions of Metroid: Other M will fall into two topics. One will talk about how influential the automated combat and camera system was to the action genre. The other will talk about how the controls prevented the game reaching it's true potential. Which one do think will be more prominent in the future? My bet is that they'll keep the cool innovative gameplay tweaks and go with a control system that's more user friendly.

Even in the event first person was still mandatory for the use of missiles, don't you think it would be easier and quicker to do if your controller was already pointed at the screen and all you needed to do was press a button? Changing the configuration of your hands takes up much valued time. I'm tired of arguing about it. I guess for now we'll just agree to disagree.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
MadOdorMachine said:
3. Can you think of any other game that requires as drastic and constant change of the control set up as this? I can't think of one and there's a reason for that.

The game has a control identity crisis. It doesn't know what it wants to be. It's trying to be a third person action game, but the developers hampered themselves. I enjoyed the game, but it has some very, very huge flaws. It's the equivalent to a kid on the playground and saying "I'm only going to play on the swing. Forget the slide, forget the monkey bars, forget climbing ropes, etc. etc. because the first time I ever played on the playground, I rode on the swing."

In your effort to prove that the intellectual concept of this game's control scheme is inherently irrational, you are effectively trying to pull a fast one: just because no other game has done this yet, does not by default mean it shouldn't be tried.

"Well gee, this game with a new idea is something I've never seen! How uncouth! Clearly this designer doesn't know what he is doing."

The problem is that you seem to be determined to see the game as something it isn't. You want it to have controls it doesn't /need/ because you're sure there's something it's not doing, that it could be doing.

Except the entire game and the way it plays is built around the fundamental idea of its controls. It makes me think what you actually want, is a game that is not Other M - it's not the controls, it's not the apparently difficult psychological leap to /just pointing at the screen/ when you want to naturally /point at things to look around/.

If you mapped visor look to a button, and used the nunchuk to look around and strafe left and right, this would change the gameplay as much as Gears of War controls would change Resident Evil 4. This entire argument reminds me of RE4 in fact, and that when it came out, a certain number of people refused to accept that you did not have the ability to strafe left and right with the analog stick while shooting your weapon. That the gameplay was inherently designed around stopping, drawing your weapon, and shooting, was by their lights bad design and irrational. Because they imagined only one way that a shooting game with a targeting reticle could and should play.

The fact that Team Ninja originally may have wanted to use a nunchuk does not by itself mean that the design of the game is "compromised" because of what the designers were experimenting with. I'd all but guarantee that the first instinct of the guys at Team Ninja was to envision a conventional strafe and shoot game, such as Metroid Prime itself in fact.

What has happened here is that the "high concept" of trying to make a game that uses the Wiimote as a NES pad that can also be used as 3D device forced the designers to, wait for it, think creatively and come up with new ideas, and a unique strategy to combat. There is this idea in design theory that limitations can, when used correctly, create better design. I do truly believe that's what happened with this game. They came up with some unique, fascinating, and downright /fun/ ideas because of what they were asked to work with.

I am not invoking the GAF hivemind when I say this, because yes, I know, everyone here has their own gradient of opinion... but: I get a hearty belly laugh at reactions to new ideas like Other M presents because the enthusiast gamer, in general, has a habit of affecting an air of boredom with the status quote and demands fresh new experiences that make him think in new ways. Other M is not even /all that crazy/, and is merely predicated on a simple and cunning use of the Wii controller, creating an experience that is new, is fun, and could not be replicated on another platform, and doesn't compromise itself as a polished and nuanced game in the process. (Try holding Move like a NES pad! Psych!) It is the textbook definition of what people have been crying for on the Wii for the last four years.

And when they get it, some people just got to bitch that it's not god damned right because they got to wrap their head around using the wiimote as it was intended to be used, as it was ergonomically designed to be used, as the game itself is designed to give you the opportunities to use it comfortably within fast moving gameplay when you learn how to play.

It isn't perfect. This is not "RAH RAH OTHER M IS THE BEST GAME EVAR!" I'm just trying to get the dent in my forehead out that the desk left - not just from some sentiments in this thread, but in other places where there is a hotbed of whining about being asked to pick up a minor new skill required by a moderately clever game.

Oh f**k I'm sorry thread I just ate my Wheaties this morning and will go away now. Going to beat the freakin' game :lol

Penguin

So was about 2 hours in, just fell down some hole.. which is rather descript, and guess met some new enemies.

Get ready to engage in battle... An error has occurred. Unable to read Game Disc

FRICK!
:(

Poyunch

How could you guys call the
Volcano Dragon
epic? It was so simplistic.
Dodge until arm is stuck. Freeze arm jump on dragon. Then repeat.
The first part was even that memorable either.

Kard8p3 said:
If you're saying you don't remember
James was found dead there.
So it was
James
?

DeVeAn

Will amazon match there own price drop a day after the game ships? $5 drop right after it shipped. Damnit lol.

Kard8p3

PounchEnvy said:
Volcano Dragon

So it was
James
?

For me it was more the setting and situation of the boss battle was epic

Yeah james was the deleter. If you remember at the end of the cutscene where MB tells you about sector zero the deleter comes to take out MB and the cutscene ends with a gunshot. Obviously though MB had enough of these deleter shenanigans so she took out James.

JohngPR

My son: Heeey, this game is just like that one where you get all the gear...
Me: Shadow Complex?
My Son: Yea, that one!

*face palm* LOL

I'm having a blast with this game, just fought
the lava boss that you climb up to shoot him in the eye.
How far into the game am I?

Fought those robot
Ripley
looking dudes and was alternating doing the finisher when you jump on their shoulders and charge shoot them piggy backing from one to the other without touching the floor....awesome! :D

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
MadOdorMachine said:
I'm going to make a prediction. In the future when all the newness has faded, discussions of Metroid: Other M will fall into two topics. One will talk about how influential the automated combat and camera system was to the action genre. The other will talk about how the controls prevented the game reaching it's true potential. Which one do think will be more prominent in the future? My bet is that they'll keep the cool innovative gameplay tweaks and go with a control system that's more user friendly.

Even in the event first person was still mandatory for the use of missiles, don't you think it would be easier and quicker to do if your controller was already pointed at the screen and all you needed to do was press a button? Changing the configuration of your hands takes up much valued time. I'm tired of arguing about it. I guess for now we'll just agree to disagree.

Despite my hearty block of salt (nothing personal, honest), in the interest of fairness, I will say: the best argument one can table, I think, is that even if the combat system in the game is fine as is, it might be less obtrusive to the player to merely map the entire thing to a look button. I think it's debatable how obtrusive and confusing it really is to put at the screen. But even granting that, I think there is a certain issue of clarity in the gameplay, and efficiency. Since this isn't Metroid Prime, you aren't free-looking around all the time. You're in 3rd person view /most/ of the time. So, with the nunchuk version, you'd basically be playing this fast moving 3rd person action game holding the wiimote up all the game for no useful reason.

Plus, the simplicity of the NES pad configuration for what is designed to play like a 2D run and gun game has its own ergonomic advantage, including comfort in extended play sessions.

To a degree, this is one is a matter of preference and taste. Yet, I also can't help but think that if the nunchuk /was/ used to run, so that the wiimote could be held ready at all times to use the visor, people would just insist that the gameplay was badly designed and limited because you couldn't make the "obvious" choice of going into first person at any time and just circle strafing around the bad guys, not realizing the entire combat system, enemy patterns, and basically the whole game would be different. It would basically turn in to Metroid Prime with the option of using an external camera as well as first person view.

Poyunch

This game has really made me develop a hate for sidehoppers/dessgeega. :lol
Kard8p3 said:
For me it was more the setting and situation of the boss battle was epic

Yeah james was the deleter. If you remember at the end of the cutscene where MB tells you about sector zero the deleter comes to take out MB and the cutscene ends with a gunshot. Obviously though MB had enough of these deleter shenanigans so she took out James.
Oooooooh.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Kaijima said:
The problem is that you seem to be determined to see the game as something it isn't. You want it to have controls it doesn't /need/ because you're sure there's something it's not doing, that it could be doing.

Except the entire game and the way it plays is built around the fundamental idea of its controls. It makes me think what you actually want, is a game that is not Other M - it's not the controls, it's not the apparently difficult psychological leap to /just pointing at the screen/ when you want to naturally /point at things to look around/.

If you mapped visor look to a button, and used the nunchuk to look around and strafe left and right, this would change the gameplay as much as Gears of War controls would change Resident Evil 4. This entire argument reminds me of RE4 in fact, and that when it came out, a certain number of people refused to accept that you did not have the ability to strafe left and right with the analog stick while shooting your weapon. That the gameplay was inherently designed around stopping, drawing your weapon, and shooting, was by their lights bad design and irrational. Because they imagined only one way that a shooting game with a targeting reticle could and should play.

The fact that Team Ninja originally may have wanted to use a nunchuk does not by itself mean that the design of the game is "compromised" because of what the designers were experimenting with. I'd all but guarantee that the first instinct of the guys at Team Ninja was to envision a conventional strafe and shoot game, such as Metroid Prime itself in fact.

What has happened here is that the "high concept" of trying to make a game that uses the Wiimote as a NES pad that can also be used as 3D device forced the designers to, wait for it, think creatively and come up with new ideas, and a unique strategy to combat. There is this idea in design theory that limitations can, when used correctly, create better design. I do truly believe that's what happened with this game. They came up with some unique, fascinating, and downright /fun/ ideas because of what they were asked to work with.
Read my other posts. I'm not going to get into the casual vs hardcore argument again. I've already explained that the game was designed the way it was as a concession that there wasn't enough buttons. Does that mean they had to get creative? Yes. Is that a good thing? In some respects yes - like the automated stuff - in some respects no - like constantly having to change the way you hold the controller.

It's funny that you bring up RE4 because it's actually very similar in terms of gameplay. To shoot, you have to be raise your gun to over the shoulder view and you can't move. The difference is, all you have to do is press a button. How many people praise RE4's controls? It's almost universally accepted as one of the best controls ever invented, especially on Wii. Now I ask again. How hard would it have been to use the nun chuck and simply press a button to achieve this? So many issues could have been avoided. Like I already said, we could be discussing how much Metroid: Other M revolutionized the action genre, instead we're stuck on controls.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
PounchEnvy said:
Volcano Dragon
I think that's about the part of the game where I started to get the hang of the controls. I felt like I beat him fair and square unlike other boss fights. I guess that's why they made a hard mode. ;)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You know what I like about the recharge system for missiles? I don't have to horde them anymore. In Super Metroid I have full missiles for almost the entire game because I'm too conservative with them but in Other M I don't have to worry about running out.

Also, I'm not 100% in love with the controls but the dpad movement is definitely one thing that I feel works. I really like how you can make Samus move through a room by just pushing in one direction, like going up a spiral platform by just pushing right. It's a little thing that I enjoy. I think your feelings on using just the wiimote depend a lot on the size of your hand. It's not gonna be as easy if you have big monster hands.

Poyunch

I think there would be a sort of disjointed feeling if you had pointer control during third person gameplay. If pointer controls were implemented I think it would have been good to adopt a sort of top-down shooter like control where you can sit still and use the pointer to control direction. I think an auto-assist would still be a good idea for when enemies are flying or in a higher elevation.

Volcynika

I am stuck early game D:

Section 1
I have no idea where to go. I'm at the first super missle door but I can't open it, and the path behind me is up a hill so I can't go there

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Kaijima said:
Despite my hearty block of salt (nothing personal, honest), in the interest of fairness, I will say: the best argument one can table, I think, is that even if the combat system in the game is fine as is, it might be less obtrusive to the player to merely map the entire thing to a look button. I think it's debatable how obtrusive and confusing it really is to put at the screen. But even granting that, I think there is a certain issue of clarity in the gameplay, and efficiency. Since this isn't Metroid Prime, you aren't free-looking around all the time. You're in 3rd person view /most/ of the time. So, with the nunchuk version, you'd basically be playing this fast moving 3rd person action game holding the wiimote up all the game for no useful reason.

Plus, the simplicity of the NES pad configuration for what is designed to play like a 2D run and gun game has its own ergonomic advantage, including comfort in extended play sessions.

To a degree, this is one is a matter of preference and taste. Yet, I also can't help but think that if the nunchuk /was/ used to run, so that the wiimote could be held ready at all times to use the visor, people would just insist that the gameplay was badly designed and limited because you couldn't make the "obvious" choice of going into first person at any time and just circle strafing around the bad guys, not realizing the entire combat system, enemy patterns, and basically the whole game would be different. It would basically turn in to Metroid Prime with the option of using an external camera as well as first person view.
I'll re-quote what I said about this from page 104. The complete post is linked below.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23107265&postcount=5162

MadOdorMachine said:
Controls - My biggest complaint of the game are the controls. Let me start off by saying that I absolutely hate using the Wii remote in the sideways function that this game requires. All of the buttons are small and the tiny d-pad Nintendo has been using on their systems since the GC came out is hard for me to keep my thumb from sliding off of. I also find that the spot where the wrist strap connects digs into my hand so in general it's very uncomfortable to play like this and any game that offers a different option, I choose it. So from the get go, using this set up was something I was against. If you're used to playing games like this and it doesn't bother you then it probably won't be as big an issue.

What's ironic is that what was an attempt to make controls simple and bring in new gamers I feel has massively backfired. It's unnatural to constantly be switching the Wii remote from the sideways position to the pointing position. I found my right hand still hovered over the A button while in the sideways configuration quite a few times throughout the game because there's so much switching. This to me overcomplicated things because if they just would have used the nun-chuck, your hands would have already been in the right position. This also would have given them more buttons to use which are needed for action games like this. Also, although I think navigating through the worlds using the d-pad works, it could have been a lot more accurate had they used the analog stick. There are a lot of reasons they could have uses the nun chuck set up but for some reason they chose not too. I think it would have been better to use it in the long run and the people who are complaining would have been happy and they people who don't mind the current setup probably wouldn't have minded using the nun chuck either. Instead we have a disaster that will probably turn a lot of people off initially. The thing is, it does get a little bit better by the end of the game, but it never feels right.

Red

Volcynika said:
I am stuck early game D:

Section 1
I have no idea where to go. I'm at the first super missle door but I can't open it, and the path behind me is up a hill so I can't go there
This and the water raising room seem to be repeat difficulties.

Go to the super missile door room (should be a terminal in the middle, elevated?). Make sure the walls are visible (shut off the terminal if it is active). On the ground level, there will be a crack on the wall on the far end of the room you need to bomb.

Poyunch

Oh (endgame spoilers)

The last boss was boring. It was cool to fight a Queen Metroid but I didn't really feel like I accomplished anything. The fight phases weren't really intense.
That's really my problem with the bosses in this game. Although the combat system is really intuitive it just makes the bosses seems like really hard enemies with a lot more health.

And I really like how they made all the upgrades visible when you complete the game. It's very un-Metroidy but it feels like Zelda. By that I mean it's like the devs are telling you "Here's a puzzle, here are your tools, let's see if you can use your tools and skills to solve the puzzle and get a prize.

:)

Volcynika said:
I am stuck early game D:

Section 1
Try jumping into any vents lately?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Snuggler said:
You know what I like about the recharge system for missiles? I don't have to horde them anymore. In Super Metroid I have full missiles for almost the entire game because I'm too conservative with them but in Other M I don't have to worry about running out.

Also, I'm not 100% in love with the controls but the dpad movement is definitely one thing that I feel works. I really like how you can make Samus move through a room by just pushing in one direction, like going up a spiral platform by just pushing right. It's a little thing that I enjoy. I think your feelings on using just the wiimote depend a lot on the size of your hand. It's not gonna be as easy if you have big monster hands.
The problem I have is that I have a 50/50 chance of getting them recharged without dying in the heat of the battle. Given the liberal continues in the game, it almost seems like the function isn't needed outside of hard mode. The only time I could ever see you needing it is in a boss fight, but I suppose it's a good alternative to enemies dropping stuff.

D-pad movement isn't terrible, I actually wouldn't mind it as much if you could use the classic controller. I love the d-pad on that thing.

ptown

Volcynika said:
I am stuck early game D:

Section 1

This got me too.

I going to be more observant from now on.

Nessus

MadOdorMachine said:
I have a question for everyone praising the controls.

1. If this were any other game besides a Metroid or Team Ninja game, would you feel the same way? If this would have been a Zelda game (let's say Skyward Sword) and you would have been required to kill certain enemies with a sub weapon (bow and arrow, bombs, etc.) in first person mode like this, would you still give it such high praises?

I'm not exactly praising them, I'm just saying I don't find anything wrong with them.

They work, I haven't died yet because of the controls, and the only time the core mechanics haven't worked for me is when I try to lounge while playing, and don't aim at the correct spot on the screen while transitioning to first person.

I can't say if the experimental controls in Other M add to the experience, but I honestly feel they don't detract from it at the very least (except again in the Where's Waldo and over the shoulder parts).

And as I recall, there were times in Twilight Princess where you did have to go into first person bow and arrow to defeat certain enemies.

I think perhaps one of the reasons it doesn't bother me as much as some people is because I'm quite used to the Resident Evil style of aiming, ie: you can't move while shooting. So I just sort of look at Other M's aiming like that, except it's even better because you can still fire while moving with auto aim.

Whenever I've heard Sakamoto talk about this game he says it's a NES game with today's tech. Out of curiousity, has he or (anyone else) stated that the NES-esque controls were meant to be 'casual friendly' in earnest? It seems a little bold to assume that a simplified control scheme means a casual audience, particularly when you consider the NES parallels.

MarshMellow96 said:
Whenever I've heard Sakamoto talk about this game he says it's a NES game with today's tech. Out of curiousity, has he or (anyone else) stated that the NES-esque controls were meant to be 'casual friendly' in earnest? It seems a little bold to assume that a simplified control scheme means a casual audience, particularly when you consider the NES parallels.
The "casual friendly" controls idea was probably inferred from "people who have been reluctant to play 3D games" statement from the Iwata Asks.

Hayashi said:
Yes, I think so. I think that if the buttons are available from the start, you'll inevitably end up using all of them. This time however, we were bound by our 'no resort to the Nunchuk' concept from the very beginning. Though there was a lot of trial and error, I think the result is that we've created a game that will be enjoyed not only by fans, but also by those who had previously been reluctant to play 3D action games. I think they'll get the feeling that 'even without all those buttons, you can still play this kind of game'.

That doesn't necessarily mean "casual friendly," but more like "I've dropped a barrier for you, try it out now."

And then to anger the nunchuk side of the control argument...

Sakamoto said:
Yes. One Wii Remote doesn't really have enough buttons, though. There were times when some problems, such as trying to implement special actions, could potentially have been solved by connecting the Nunchuk. Even then though, we had an understanding that we would never 'resort to the Nunchuk'.

:lol :lol :lol

Ultimately like you, Sakamoto, and Hayashi said, the main focus was to create an "NES game using current tech." Shit, imagine if games were like this back in the old NES days. Regardless, I'm a big fan of the newfangled NES controls. :D

dvolovets

To all those who are having difficulties with the controls -- my six-year-old sister just played for around an hour and had absolutely no problems navigating, going from third to first person, etc. :)

I played a little myself and am very impressed. It honestly feels like a next generation game in terms of presentation -- a first for Nintendo, I think. For some reason I'm getting a Dead Space vibe from it... it definitely doesn't feel like any of the other Metroid games, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It's an evolution of the series.

Penguin

Boney said:
Try brawl!

Would getting a lens cleaner from GameStop work or am I looking at returning the console to Nintendo?

I had her fired up for like 10 minutes before it died on me again. :(

MadOdorMachine said:
It's the equivalent to a kid on the playground and saying "I'm only going to play on the swing. Forget the slide, forget the monkey bars, forget climbing ropes, etc. etc. because the first time I ever played on the playground, I rode on the swing."

at first i thought you were defending the game against those who complain about the different camera styles:

"I'm only going to play on the swing [side-scrolling]. Forget the slide[first-person], forget the monkey bars[over-the-shoulder], etc. etc. because the first time I ever played on the playground[Super Metroid], I rode on the swing[side-scrolling]."

but i think you were trying to say that Sakamoto is an idiot for designing a modern NES game, right?

sfried

Who says Sakimoto doesn't acknoledge Prime? One of the Sections has music lifted straight out of
Frigate Orpheon

pulga

Banned
etiolate said:
We've reached Poe's Law point with you. Troll someone else.

Ignore everything else I said, just answer my question. Is it the games fault you chose to dodge towards the enemy, not away, or is it your fault? Likewise, as someone else commented on, why didn't you just jump and shoot? You not being able to kill the thing sounds to me as more of a problem with your judgement/problem solving than the game itself.

I'm not asking a paper on the subject, just a simple explanation without all your dodging (hurrrrr) around it.

Teknoman

MiamiWesker said:
Make a Metroid level in LBP 2 please. :)

Everyone is probably going to end up making a Little Big Metroid style game with the way level linking works/ seperate cameras for MP.

Unless you cant carry sticker switches found from level to level. Might end up being a Fusion/Other M style level set.

Boney

Banned
Penguin said:
Would getting a lens cleaner from GameStop work or am I looking at returning the console to Nintendo?

I had her fired up for like 10 minutes before it died on me again. :(
Gee I don't know.. Let's hope the lens cleaner do the job.

Luckily mine died out a week before.

Top Bottom