• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Snaku

Banned
Popped the disc in and decided to play the opening before going to bed. Maybe I'm delirious with exhaustion, but what the fuck am I supposed to scan when I land on the derelict? There's nothing...

Snaku said:
Popped the disc in and decided to play the opening before going to bed. Maybe I'm delirious with exhaustion, but what the fuck am I supposed to scan when I land on the derelict? There's nothing...

Get used to it as it happens several more times.

Fine, the symbol on the ship.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
donkey show said:
I know for sure that dude hasn't played the game. :lol But even with those two particular scores, the game is still getting 9s and 8s all over the place. People genuinely love this game, believe it or not. =P

No prob! Always glad to help. :D

I'll send you the direct links, but anyone else can check them out here on my youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/gevurah22

Spoilers ahoy!

Even though Team Ninja brought the controls to life, it was ultimately Sakamoto's decision to give the green light. If you want to blame anyone, blame him. I think they did their job well for the limitations they were given and would like to see them be given a bit more freedom with another Nintendo game in the future.

Thanks for the links.

And yes, I blame Sakamoto. From what I've read about development, it probably went something like this - paraphrased of course -

Sakamoto - I've got an idea for making a new Metroid game for the Wii but I have no experience making games in 3D. I really like what you've done with Ninja Gaiden. Would you be interested in working with me on a new Metroid game?

Hayashi - Hellz yeah! I friggin love Metroid, sign me up.

Sakamoto - Sweet. Here's my idea. I want to use the Wii remote like an NES pad and keep the game simple. Can you do that?

Hayashi - I'll see what I can do.

Sakamoto - Rock on.

A few weeks/months pass by.

Hayashi - Look, we've been working with the NES set up and think the game would benefit from using the nun chuck. /Explains why and pitches his point arguing the case that Sakamoto came to him for help/

Sakamoto - I'm unwilling to compromise on the controls. If you can't do it, I have no problem pulling the plug.

Hayashi - Thinks to himself, "Shit! Itagaki left and if this game gets canned it will make Tecmo look bad and I won't look like a competent replacement. I better just do the best I can or I'll lose my job!" He then backs off the nun chuck issue and shuts up and colors.

rareside

NEED HELP PLEASE! Only if you've beaten the game.. I'm pretty far into the game.

So I just found out the young blonde is MB and now I'm in a room fighting all these baddies but I'm stuck in First person mode and I keep dying because I run out of missiles.

Is there any way to reload/replenish health? I can't get out of first person and this shit is annoying... I must be doing something wrong.

etiolate

Banned
Snaku said:

The genius Sakamoto knew that the one thing that could really bring new life and amazingness to Metroid was repeated games of Where's Waldo!

rareside said:
NEED HELP PLEASE! Only if you've beaten the game.. I'm pretty far into the game.

So I just found out the young blonde is MB and now I'm in a room fighting all these baddies but I'm stuck in First person mode and I keep dying because I run out of missiles.

Is there any way to reload/replenish health? I can't get out of first person and this shit is annoying... I must be doing something wrong.

I know it's hard but you have to try to not lock on to anything else and aim at MB in the center of the room and lock on her.

Nayishiki

rareside said:

Shoot MB.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
rareside said:

Lock onto the three baddies with a super missiles to slow them down and then start shooting at MB. I don't think it has to be a charged shot, but you do need to be locked onto her.

Poyunch

etiolate said:
The genius Sakamoto knew that the one thing that could really bring new life and amazingness to Metroid was repeated games of Where's Waldo!
2m4y39t.jpg

Poyunch

strx said:
You liked those parts, I take it? Could you explain to us "haters" why?
No I hate those parts too but etiolate's been so bitter about the game for so long. I was just poking fun at him.

Jeez you guys seem so pissed off and defensive.

Kard8p3

Green Mamba said:
I don't agree at all. One of my favorite aspects of Metroid has always been the visual progression of Samus to go along with her abilities, regardless of which look I prefer. Being stuck with the orange you got way the heck back is just bleh.

And I just want to say that my absolute least favorite part (scene wise) so far is
Samus's reaction to seeing Ridley for the first time. Maybe had this been Zero Mission her "revert to child" reaction would have been alright, but this is post-Super Samus. She's killed him like six times already. Come the fuck on.

technically she's only fought him twice in the games at this point as the prime games are no longer considered part of the story according to Nintendo. Also I think her reaction is fine since she clearly believes he was gone for good after the events of Super Metroid.

Ridley327 said:
I think I was more surprised that
a baby Ridley is a Furby with chicken legs :lol

How they handle Ridley in this game is my favorite part of the story. Some might not like it but knowing that you have ridley in some form or another kind of watching over you throughout the game is cool. I personally liked the little birdie form.

Boney

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
Thanks for the links.

And yes, I blame Sakamoto. From what I've read about development, it probably went something like this - paraphrased of course -

Sakamoto - I've got an idea for making a new Metroid game for the Wii but I have no experience making games in 3D. I really like what you've done with Ninja Gaiden. Would you be interested in working with me on a new Metroid game?

Sakamoto - Sweet. Here's my idea. I want to use the Wii remote like an NES pad and keep the game simple. Can you do that?

Sakamoto - Rock on.

Hayashi - Look, we've been working with the NES set up and think the game would benefit from using the nun chuck. /Explains why and pitches his point arguing the case that Sakamoto came to him for help/

Sakamoto - I'm unwilling to compromise on the controls. If you can't do it, I have no problem pulling the plug.

Hayashi - Thinks to himself, "Shit! Itagaki left and if this game gets canned it will make Tecmo look bad and I won't look like a competent replacement. I better just do the best I can or I'll lose my job!" He then backs off the nun chuck issue and shuts up and colors.
Yes Sakamoto was months in a spa with an inflatible Samus doll.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
pakkit said:
I hate MGS's "storyline." Should I even approach this game?
The game doesn't focus on the story as much as a Metal Gear game and after the first hour or so it eases off some. The story itself isn't what's bad, but rather the way it's told. It has some cringe worthy moments. It get's better, but you have to get over the fact that Samus now has a voice. There are times when your impression of her character will be tainted, but it's barable. Imo, the voice acting in the Metal Gear games are much better than this, but the story itself isn't as over the top.

Boney said:
Yes Sakamoto was months in a spa with an inflatible Samus doll.
I said paraphrased dude. The point is, he wasn't there every day and they came up with the idea while he was absent.

etiolate

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
No I hate those parts too but etiolate's been so bitter about the game for so long. I was just poking fun at him.

Welcome to the 4Chan Idiocracy future: Concern and Critique is BITTERNESS

rareside said:

Multi-lock

MadOdorMachine said:
The game doesn't focus on the story as much as a Metal Gear game and after the first hour or so it eases off some. The story itself isn't what's bad, but rather the way it's told. It has some cringe worthy moments. It get's better, but you have to get over the fact that Samus now has a voice. There are times when your impression of her character will be tainted, but it's barable. Imo, the voice acting in the Metal Gear games are much better than this, but the story itself isn't as over the top.

I don't know, that whole
MB explanation was some shit out of MGS.

Poyunch

etiolate said:
Welcome to the 4Chan Idiocracy future: Concern and Critique is BITTERNESS
Well I'm sorry I just couldn't take your "critiques" seriously after Metroid became sexist. But let's not get into that.

And again:
PounchEnvy said:

Instro

MadOdorMachine said:
Thanks for the links.

Sakamoto - Rock on.

Technically Sakamoto had originally planned for this to be fully 2.5D without all the viewpoint changes and such so I wouldn't have needed the nunchuck. It was Team Ninja's idea to do all the 3rd person stuff.

Anyway started playing today, just got to sector one, digging it a lot so far. I definitely don't understand the huge complaints about the VA, there's a few spots of dialogue that are a bit weird but overall its pretty solid.

Poyunch

Instro said:
Technically Sakamoto had originally planned for this to be fully 2.5D without all the viewpoint changes and such so I wouldn't have needed the nunchuck. It was Team Ninja's idea to do all the 3rd person stuff.

Anyway started playing today, just got to sector one, digging it a lot so far. I definitely don't understand the huge complaints about the VA, there's a few spots of dialogue that are a bit weird but overall its pretty solid.
For the most part it's okay. There are some great lines here and there and some really "artificial" lines as well.

rareside

strx said:
I know it's hard but you have to try to not lock on to anything else and aim at MB in the center of the room and lock on her.

Thanks for the help! I didn't even realize MB was standing there.

I can't believe that was the ending! That was weak! Haha I was expecting another huge fight.. bah!

Good game though. Hopefully there's another big fight left if I 100% it (wishful thinking?) I wanted a huge final boss fight.

etiolate

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:

The non-Samus part of the story isn't bad, but story telling is like the groundwork for any story and man oh man.

To strx:

I hope you can stomach the obvious being restated over and over, and a bounty hunter being turned into a teeny blonde. I'll try to encapsulate the feel of why the story is hated, because the federation stuff is tolerable.

*image of Samus putting her thumb down*
After every mission briefing it was customary to give a thumbs up.
*Another of image of the thumb down*
I would always give a thumbs down, because a thumbs down is the opposite of a thumbs up, and a thumbs up is a sign of good and I was using a thumbs down which would make it a sign I disapproved. He also asked for objections.
"Any objections LADY?"
Here he called me a lady, and I had objected with a thumbs down, but I knew when Adam said Lady but not the other guys said Lady, like one guy calls me princess, but when Adam calls me Lady then it's okay even though it sounded demeaning right there and I am sure if put in the hands of a capable writer this might make sense, but instead I will explain it with excessive monologue

*Image of Samus*
Did I mention I gave a thumbs down?

Poyunch

Boney said:
Shinespark is so damn good in this.
I just wish there were more puzzles that use it. I was in that open, rainy area where you fight one of those tree monsters and instead of activating a switch that would reveal some platforms I just Shinesparked up to the powerup I needed. I felt so awesome because of that. :D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Confession time: I'm starting to love this game. I feel like I've really wrapped my mind around the combat and things are picking up as I get several hours into the game. Just got to a new environment with some new foes and every battle is a lot of fun. The combat hits the perfect spot where it's not too tough or complicated but it's deep and challenging enough to not get repetitive or boring. It's just right.

Alright, back to Other M.

Kard8p3

rareside said:

I can't believe that was the ending! That was weak! Haha I was expecting another huge fight.. bah!

Good game though. Hopefully there's another big fight left if I 100% it (wishful thinking?) I wanted a huge final boss fight.

wait till after the credits

Poyunch

It's funny. Even though he only appeared in one game I'll never forget Anthony.
I can't believe I actually felt sad when he "died".
:lol

rareside said:

You're not done with the game yet.

PounchEnvy said:
It's funny. Even though he only appeared in one game I'll never forget Anthony.
I can't believe I actually felt sad when he "died".
:lol

MANthony Higgs is the best.

Ranger X

So what the general GAF consensus on this game?

I didn't get around to buy it yet because I am overtiming crazy at the office.

ruffles

Post game items help:

I'm missing one last item. It's in the main sector in the area where your ship is. There is a red door I can't open. Don't know how to get it.

Boney

Banned
etiolate said:
The non-Samus part of the story isn't bad, but story telling is like the groundwork for any story and man oh man.

To strx:

I hope you can stomach the obvious being restated over and over, and a bounty hunter being turned into a teeny blonde. I'll try to encapsulate the feel of why the story is hated, because the federation stuff is tolerable.

*image of Samus putting her thumb down*
After every mission briefing it was customary to give a thumbs up.
*Another of image of the thumb down*
I would always give a thumbs down, because a thumbs down is the opposite of a thumbs up, and a thumbs up is a sign of good and I was using a thumbs down which would make it a sign I disapproved. He also asked for objections.
"Any objections LADY?"
Here he called me a lady, and I had objected with a thumbs down, but I knew when Adam said Lady but not the other guys said Lady, like one guy calls me princess, but when Adam calls me Lady then it's okay even though it sounded demeaning right there and I am sure if put in the hands of a capable writer this might make sense, but instead I will explain it with excessive monologue

*Image of Samus*
Did I mention I gave a thumbs down?
What you're complaining here is a bad localization, not story. I guess NCL told treehouse to adhere as close as possible to the script. In japanese, this makes sense. In english it's redundant and over expositive.

Also, maybe you don't give a fuck about explaining it in the post, but your explanation for the thumbs down is wrong. She made a thumbs down because Adam asked if there were any objections, if she responded with a thumbs up, it would mean there were. Also is "Don't go calling me a bitch" thumbs down. I find it cute, but nothing special.

Poyunch

Has anyone found a use for the double jump? You know when you jump the button after jumping from a still position. I really only found use for it against
Ridley.
ruffles said:
Post game items help:

I'm missing one last item. It's in the main sector in the area where your ship is. There is a red door I can't open. Don't know how to get it.
I believe there's a morphball vent in a nearby room. You fall in. Get the powerup and then activate one of those computer things to unlock the door and leave.
It was one of the first powerups I got.

jaundicejuice said:
They don't have a variation of the Metroid item acquisition sound when you find a missle expansion or energy tank in Other M? Really?
It's real sad. Sometimes I hum it when I get a new upgrade.

RagnarokX

Green Mamba said:
I don't agree at all. One of my favorite aspects of Metroid has always been the visual progression of Samus to go along with her abilities, regardless of which look I prefer. Being stuck with the orange you got way the heck back is just bleh.

And I just want to say that my absolute least favorite part (scene wise) so far is
Samus's reaction to seeing Ridley for the first time. Maybe had this been Zero Mission her "revert to child" reaction would have been alright, but this is post-Super Samus. She's killed him like six times already. Come the fuck on.
After what Ridley did to her as a child, her reaction in Other M makes perfect sense. PTSD is not something you just overcome. Since Prime games seem to be out, she has only encountered Ridley in the manga and 2 games. When she met him in the manga, she freaked out even worse than in Other M. In Metroid, Samus' mission is to take down the space pirates. She knows Ridley will be there and has time to prepare herself. She looks startled in ZM. In Super Metroid, when she first encounters Ridley he beats the crap out of her. She had no reason to expect Ridley in Other M since he should have been dead for good after Super. "Ridley killed your parents right in front of you like 20 years ago, Samus! Get over it already!"

etiolate

Banned
Boney said:
What you're complaining here is a bad localization, not story. I guess NCL told treehouse to adhere as close as possible to the script. In japanese, this makes sense. In english it's redundant and over expositive.

Also, maybe you don't give a fuck about explaining it in the post, but your explanation for the thumbs down is wrong. She made a thumbs down because Adam asked if there were any objections, if she responded with a thumbs up, it would mean there were. Also is "Don't go calling me a bitch" thumbs down. I find it cute, but nothing special.

The problem is everybody can easily understand the meaning of a thumbs down by just showing it. You don't need any dialogue to explain this. You don't even need her saying what she feels about being called Lady right away. Explaining everything away is bad story telling and bad writing. It's like Writing 101.

Don't blame localization for translating words that didn't need to be there.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Ranger X said:

It's a good game, but has some serious flaws. Some people are able to look over them more than others. If you're a fan of the series, overall I think you'll enjoy the game. Be prepared for a lot of disappointment and frustration on your first play through though. There are some questionable moments everyone can agree on.

Ericescobar15

Neo Member
I"m 6.5 hours in. Very far. I have a hunch a certain Fusion boss will appear (at least I hope) given what happens at one point. Eh, maybe I'm just overly hopeful.

Boney

Banned
etiolate said:
The problem is everybody can easily understand the meaning of a thumbs down by just showing it. You don't need any dialogue to explain this. You don't even need her saying what she feels about being called Lady right away. Explaining everything away is bad story telling and bad writing. It's like Writing 101.

Don't blame localization for translating words that didn't need to be there.
I know that. It's bad writing. It doesn't take a degree to get that. What you fail to notice is that, this over exposition isn't alien to Japanese. They do this, it's natural.

A good localization would've taken care of that. Erase the thoughts completely, let the word "outsider" handle it on it's own, no need to explain it.

MadOdorMachine said:
It's a good game, but has some serious flaws. Some people are able to look over them more than others. If you're a fan of the series, overall I think you'll enjoy the game. Be prepared for a lot of disappointment and frustration on your first play through though. There are some questionable moments everyone can agree on.
TBH, a lot of GAF loves this game. At the same time, those who don't like some of the "control issues" are pretty vocal about it. What you consider serious flaws are minor nitpicks, but some of the stuff that does kinda take you out of the game only occurs for about several minutes (i.e. Where's Waldo). It's an awesome game nonetheless. Personally, I'd say 90% of it rocks whereas the 10% of it makes you go... "why did they do this?" :lol

I've already completed the game 100% and beat hard mode, fyi. I'd tell you to look up my vids to show you what you can expect, but they're really spoilerish. :lol

Kard8p3

Ranger X said:

Definitely mixed. Most everyone thinks it's at least good but there are some design choices that some think are bad. However there are others that think these same design choices work out well so really you'll need to play it for yourself to see which camp you fall into. No matter what though you should get some fun out of it.

etiolate

Banned
Boney said:
I know that. It's bad writing. It doesn't take a degree to get that. What you fail to notice is that, this over exposition isn't alien to Japanese. They do this, it's natural.

A good localization would've taken care of that. Erase the thoughts completely, let the word "outsider" handle it on it's own, no need to explain it.

Bad writing in Japanese is just bad writing. A lot of anime has this, but a lot of anime has bad writing.

It would take some ballsy localizing to just remove all that dialogue.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
jaundicejuice said:
They don't have a variation of the Metroid item acquisition sound when you find a missle expansion or energy tank in Other M? Really?
They only familiar sounds I heard was a faint rendition when ever you load a game up from a save spot. It's got that jingle from when you first land on your ship. There's also a song during credits which remixes some of the jingles from other songs, but other than that, it's non-existant.

Socreges

Banned
MarshMellow96 said:
I'm merely trying to say that I find it difficult ascertain what can be classed as a 'good' design choice, 'objectively' speaking. What is good design 'fact'?. How on earth do you determine that? If it's a case of what is taught to students regarding 'good' game design well then blow me down with a feather - why are games different? Why aren't we left with homogeneous gradschool lumps of gaming? Because there is subjectivity. The idea of programming and designing is probably relatively similar across the board, but what makes a game different is the person creating it. I don't believe for a second that you can look at game design 'objectively'.
Dude, you are so confused. Read your original post. Then re-read my reply. There is no such thing as objective analysis. That was my point. Because you were trying to suggest that anyone saying this was a bad design choice is meaningless because it's subjective. EVERYTHING is subjective. But if we follow your logic to its natural conclusion, then we are unable to have opinions... on anything.

Metroid Other M has several bad design choices.

27797.jpg

"Well. That's just, like... your opinion, man."

OBVIOUSLY. But I believe it to be true.

It's not like you're new to arguments and dissenting opinions, so don't act like it.

Top Bottom