• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

RagnarokX said:
After what Ridley did to her as a child, her reaction in Other M makes perfect sense. PTSD is not something you just overcome. Since Prime games seem to be out, she has only encountered Ridley in the manga and 2 games. When she met him in the manga, she freaked out even worse than in Other M. In Metroid, Samus' mission is to take down the space pirates. She knows Ridley will be there and has time to prepare herself. She looks startled in ZM. In Super Metroid, when she first encounters Ridley he beats the crap out of her. She had no reason to expect Ridley in Other M since he should have been dead for good after Super. "Ridley killed your parents right in front of you like 20 years ago, Samus! Get over it already!"
I'm not willing to discount the Prime games so readily. Until official word from Sakamoto says otherwise, I assume they happened, at least in broad strokes.

But seriously, dumbstruck enough that Ridley managed to nearly kill her before she even realized what happened? That doesn't jive at all with Zero Mission or Super Metroid. I didn't think she looked particularly startled in ZM due to it being Ridley so much as a normal reaction to a gigantic monster swooping in from behind her. And even then she's capable of immediately firing back. And Ridley doesn't necessarily beat Samus in their first encounter in Super--it's possible to "defeat" him and force him to fly away with enough punishment, and there's no word so far as I know which outcome is canon.

If anything, I think it would have been a good opportunity for some depiction of character development--show a flashback of what her reaction to Ridley would have been in the past, and then depict her immediately attacking Ridley as soon as she sees him in the present, showing that she's gotten over her fear of him. It may still be personal to Ridley, but to Samus it's just business; she's the better... uh... person.

That all said, I still haven't beaten the game and have only just gotten past the Ridley encounter, so please don't spoil anything if there's anything to spoil that I don't know.

Boney

Banned
etiolate said:
Bad writing in Japanese is just bad writing. A lot of anime has this, but a lot of anime has bad writing.

It would take some ballsy localizing to just remove all that dialogue.
So you're agreeing with me?

I'm just saying, it's gonna offend less people in Japan that in the west. It's not gonna get a Nobel Prize or anything.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
donkey show said:
TBH, a lot of GAF loves this game. At the same time, those who don't like some of the "control issues" are pretty vocal about it. What you consider serious flaws are minor nitpicks, but some of the stuff that does kinda take you out of the game only occurs for about several minutes (i.e. Where's Waldo). It's an awesome game nonetheless. Personally, I'd say 90% of it rocks whereas the 10% of it makes you go... "why did they do this?" :lol

I've already completed the game 100% and beat hard mode, fyi. I'd tell you to look up my vids to show you what you can expect, but they're really spoilerish. :lol
You are the man Donkey Show, there's no doubt about that. I'll be the first to admit that anybody who wants to embrace the controls and learn how to use them as intended should go to you for help.

The glaring points I'm referring to is the story, controls, music and gameplay wtf's -> the "Where's Waldo" moments. It can be jarring at first and I feel it would turn a lot of people off if they weren't fans and dedicated to completing the game, but once you look past them and get into the game a bit, I agree it get's a lot better and the controls finally start to shine. :)

I'm going to watch your videos a bit later on and replay the game again now that I have a better handle on the controls, but damn, there were some frustrating moments the first play through. There are a lot of people asking for help around here.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Branduil said:
So since this is getting worse reviews than the Prime games, does that mean GAF will love it more?
They are two very different games. Metroid Prime was essentially the original Metroid rebooted in first person with Zelda controls imo. Metroid: Other M has brought the series to 3D in third person. That's no small feat. What they did in this game is brilliant, but there were very elementary design choices that should have been addressed that are holding it back. I hope they fix those problems and release another game like this though. If they did, I think it would be universally praised.

I really hope they do away with invisible walls and the inability to walk off ledges. I want the restrictions gone and the nunchuck added.

RagnarokX

Green Mamba said:
I'm not willing to discount the Prime games so readily. Until official word from Sakamoto says otherwise, I assume they happened, at least in broad strokes.

But seriously, dumbstruck enough that Ridley managed to nearly kill her before she even realized what happened? That doesn't jive at all with Zero Mission or Super Metroid. I didn't think she looked particularly startled in ZM due to it being Ridley so much as a normal reaction to a gigantic monster swooping in from behind her. And even then she's capable of immediately firing back. And Ridley doesn't necessarily beat Samus in their first encounter in Super--it's possible to "defeat" him and force him to fly away with enough punishment, and there's no word so far as I know which outcome is canon.

If anything, I think it would have been a good opportunity for some depiction of character development--show a flashback of what her reaction to Ridley would have been in the past, and then depict her immediately attacking Ridley as soon as she sees him in the present, showing that she's gotten over her fear of him. It may still be personal to Ridley, but to Samus it's just business; she's the better... uh... person.

That all said, I still haven't beaten the game and have only just gotten past the Ridley encounter, so please don't spoil anything if there's anything to spoil that I don't know.
He surprised her and she had a PTSD-induced flashback that impaired her for a few seconds. That's all. PTSD is a very persistent disorder. She was all business once she snapped out of it.

etiolate

Banned
Boney said:
So you're agreeing with me?

I'm just saying, it's gonna offend less people in Japan that in the west. It's not gonna get a Nobel Prize or anything.

I don't agree the issue is localization's. I cannot blame them for the writing and cannot throw the blame on them for not cutting out the monologue and exposition from a game that doesn't understand how to tell a story any other way.

Boney

Banned
etiolate said:
I don't agree the issue is localization's. I cannot blame them for the writing and cannot throw the blame on them for not cutting out the monologue and exposition from a game that doesn't understand how to tell a story any other way.
That's fair, I still think a good localization which has admitely rarely happened (pheonix wright, mario rpg spring to mind) should be in charge of making it coherent for the foreign audience.

Nvm that, I got a question. In Area 3, "story" related.

After you enter the lab, and save the science chick from the traitor, why the hell doesn't samus check who's driving that thing!! Makes no sense.

RagnarokX

Boney said:
That's fair, I still think a good localization which has admitely rarely happened (pheonix wright, mario rpg spring to mind) should be in charge of making it coherent for the foreign audience.

Nvm that, I got a question. In Area 3, "story" related.

After you enter the lab, and save the science chick from the traitor, why the hell doesn't samus check who's driving that thing!! Makes no sense.
The camera shows that the driver is gone...

Enk

makes good threads.
About 3 hours into this. I'm a bit mixed on it so far. I don't have any problems running around with the D-pad, but forcing the player into a 1st person perspective for missiles was a poor desicion. They should've just ditched the 1st person, made B the missile select and kept your stock limited.

For a game that's trying to be a return to classic Metroid they sure do strip a lot of what made Metroid out to the point that it makes it feel sterilized. Too much focus on the story and other characters. Music has no themes (at least at the moment) just generic atmospheric tunes. Samus now has a bunch of shitty friends rather than being isolated and alone. There's no more item theme or even item drops from enemies. Upgrades are just "unlocks" now. The game feels really linear at the moment, plus it doesn't help that the game takes place on a ship rather than a planet (though some of the holodeck enviroments are quite nice). Also it's really annoying that you can't turn the map or hints off.

I'm still rather enjoying it. The combat for the most part is quite fun and the quick dodge is a very nice addition to the series. I like that the enemy design is closer to the older games than Prime was. The game is certainly unique but it doesn't quite feel like a true Metroid successor to me right now. I'll definitely see this one through to the end though despite its faults.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Enk said:
About 3 hours into this. I'm a bit mixed on it so far. I don't have any problems running around with the D-pad, but forcing the player into a 1st person perspective for missiles was a poor desicion. They should've just ditched the 1st person, made B the missile select and kept your stock limited.

For a game that's trying to be a return to classic Metroid they sure do strip a lot of what made Metroid out to the point that it makes it feel sterilized. Too much focus on the story and other characters. Music has no themes (at least at the moment) just generic atmospheric tunes. Samus now has a bunch of shitty friends rather than being isolated and alone. There's no more item theme or even item drops from enemies. Upgrades are just "unlocks" now. The game feels really linear at the moment, plus it doesn't help that the game takes place on a ship rather than a planet (though some of the holodeck enviroments are quite nice). Also it's really annoying that you can't turn the map or hints off.

I'm still rather enjoying it. The combat for the most part is quite fun and the quick dodge is a very nice addition to the series. I like that the enemy design is closer to the older games than Prime was. The game is certainly unique but it doesn't quite feel like a true Metroid successor to me right now. I'll definitely see this one through to the end though despite its faults.
The "minus" button would have worked for switching to missiles as well. I don't mind the 1st person view for looking around, but it is an odd design choice to force you to use missiles with it. I'm going to try and play thru it again but I would like to get a controller with a bigger d-pad. I really wish they would have used a different control scheme with this or at least made the nun chuck or classic controller an option.

Does anyone know of any Wii remotes that have a big d-pad like what's on the classic controller?

Boney

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
The "minus" button would have worked for switching to missiles as well. I don't mind the 1st person view for looking around, but it is an odd design choice to force you to use missiles with it. I'm going to try and play thru it again but I would like to get a controller with a bigger d-pad. I really wish they would have used a different control scheme with this or at least made the nun chuck or classic controller an option.

Does anyone know of any Wii remotes that have a big d-pad like what's on the classic controller?
HUELEN10 recommends the Nyko controller.

So um.. got the wave beam.. don't know what to do now.. will call it a night, but an answer could be nice.

Poyunch

Boney said:

So um.. got the wave beam.. don't know what to do now.. will call it a night, but an answer could be nice.
The first thing I did after getting that beam was return to the Main Sector. A certain powerup near an elevator that really pissed me off finally conceded to me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
one_kill said:
How do you open the doors in the toilet?

You dont, unless the door is already partially open .

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
one_kill said:
How do you open the doors in the toilet?

Stand next to it.

I've made some progress but I'm still waiting on the super missile. I've passed so many doors that require it, I'll have to do some major backtracking if I ever get it.

Poyunch

Snuggler said:
Stand next to it.

I've made some progress but I'm still waiting on the super missile. I've passed so many doors that require it, I'll have to do some major backtracking if I ever get it.
How far are you into the game?

Dragmire

PounchEnvy said:
It's real sad. Sometimes I hum it when I get a new upgrade.
The new sound is nice and a welcome change. That upgrade fanfare was just too much, being played over and over. I like that they streamlined the interface to bring it into a more modern context. Enough is enough with some of the old conventions.

Kevtones

Maybe I'm silly but I'm REALLY digging this game.

The controls (mainly dpad) are still on their way towards clicking but I actually love the 1st switching. It's intuitive for me and I even like the RE4 switch ups. I'm really not sure why, but the continual 'What? Okay.' design decisions breaking up a Team Ninja action game thing is really working for me.

Also, even the expository as fuck cutscenes have worked thus far. They might be incredibly telly but so far they're consistent in tone and they haven't detracted from the experience like I thought they world. The prose could be a metric shit-ton better but I think the story seems fairly cohesive for what it is. I mean, I'd rather sit through Other M cinematics than any of Heavy Rain.

I think the fact that everything about the game feels so alien to me as a Metroid fan actually makes it all the more a Metroid game.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Boney said:

Can you be more specific about the controller. Nyko makes a lot of them and from looking at the pictures on Amazon, it's hard to tell how big it is.

As far as the game goes -
You should have the speed boost. There's a door to the north with a big hill inside with water coming down both sides. IIRC, you should be able to get up there now.

Poyunch

The one thing Other M improved over the Prime games is the combat. Even if you don't enjoy the controls you have to admit the pace is faster and battles are quicker. Monsters were way too packed with health in the Prime games and it made the game drag.

And with the concentration ability you don't have to be so conservative with missiles. It made respawning monsters less annoying.

Teknoman

Dragmire said:
The new sound is nice and a welcome change. That upgrade fanfare was just too much, being played over and over. I like that they streamlined the interface to bring it into a more modern context. Enough is enough with some of the old conventions.

No.

It could've been used for major upgrades, and just given the quick mechanical sound for energy tank/missle upgrades.

gogojira

Well fuck, Other M ends on a high note doesn't it?

When I saw the Queen Metroid, I flipped out. What an awesome boss to bring back, completely unexpected. It's awesome that it doesn't truly end where the first ending leaves off. Going back to the Bottle Ship to retrieve Adam's helmet and OH SHIT MOTHERFUCKING PHANTOON! And, an escape sequence to boot. Very, very high note to end on.

Poyunch

Snuggler said:
About 7 hours.
I never did check my time. :lol I mean what's the last significant event that's happened for you in-game?

gogojira said:

When I saw the Queen Metroid, I flipped out. What an awesome boss to bring back, completely unexpected. It's awesome that it doesn't truly end where the first ending leaves off. Going back to the Bottle Ship to retrieve Adam's helmet and OH SHIT MOTHERFUCKING PHANTOON! And, an escape sequence to boot. Very, very high note to end on.
Damn I shouldn't have read this. I was planning on collecting all the upgrades before
getting Adam's helmet. Once again my curiosity ruins the final boss of Other M. :lol

Haunted

I've seen some (amazing-looking) shots of this game running on Dolphin.

Anyone mind taking some screenshots of the Gallery mode? There's some really cool concept art in there.

PounchEnvy said:
Oh (endgame spoilers)

The last boss was boring. It was cool to fight a Queen Metroid but I didn't really feel like I accomplished anything. The fight phases weren't really intense.
That's really my problem with the bosses in this game. Although the combat system is really intuitive it just makes the bosses seems like really hard enemies with a lot more health.
Actually, the Queen Metroid is the second-to-last boss. You should go back and finish the story. :)

gogojira said:

Totally!

So much fanservice with the Zero Suit (and fitting equipment) escape.
:lol

Can anyone help me out?

Just a quick question: How many energy tanks should I have? I think I missed some stuff.

I'm at Sector 1...

...I just beat that giant walking tree thing inside that large room with the platforms I went across with the morph ball, right after the water raising part.

I'm fighting with one energy tank and I think I misses some stuff. How many tanks should I have by now? Thanks.

Haunted

pakkit said:
I hate MGS's "storyline." Should I even approach this game?
Do you like Metroid? Then yes.

Do you hate Metroid? Then no.

This game is worth it for the awesome Metroid gameplay alone. I'll say it again, best shinespark in the series.

gogojira

PounchEnvy said:
I never did check my time. :lol I mean what's the last significant event that's happened for you in-game?

Damn I shouldn't have read this. I was planning on collecting all the upgrades before
getting Adam's helmet. Once again my curiosity ruins the final boss of Other M. :lol

Bah, sorry. I should have separated the two.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Can anyone help me out?

Just a quick question: How many energy tanks should I have? I think I missed some stuff.

I'm at Sector 1...

...I just beat that giant walking tree thing inside that large room with the platforms I went across with the morph ball, right after the water raising part.

I'm fighting with one energy tank and I think I misses some stuff. How many tanks should I have by now? Thanks.
You're about on target. You won't have them all by the time you fight the last boss.

Nearly 3 hours in, just acquired
the wave beam
and eh, it's okay. The controls with just the wiimote are serviceable, kind of clunky but servicable. I would have liked the option to have the classic controller or wiimote/nunchuck combo just the have the analog sticks to control Samus' movement better. I'm fine with the auto-aiming in standard combat but the movement bugs me, it feels mushy. I know you can do the roll-dodge from manually aiming Samus' arm cannon but I would have liked to have the ability to move while manually aiming. I don't understand the thrust in design to try and simplify the controls so that their NES-style, but the game is still in 3D. If Other M was more like New Super Mario Bros in that the gameplay was purely 2D, this NES-style wiimote control scheme probably would feel more natural.

I like that the general aiming is handled automatically, the gunplay kind of takes a back seat to the platforming. Other M also feels much more action-oriented with its emphasis on inter-acting with enemies (beam attack to their face, or using a melee attack to escape a grapple) or dodging their attacks.

The overall thrust of making the game more cinematic would've been so much better if Samus didn't narrate everything. Other M doesn't feel like it has been localised, it feels like it's been translated word for stilted word. If you complete remove Samus' over-exposition and cut down on the length of the shots in which she narrated, they would have achieved a better result.

And there's no item acquisition sound, that just bothers me.

I'm enjoying the gameplay, but it's kind of a mixed bag for me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
PounchEnvy said:

I just the shinespark recently.

I hate MGS's "storyline." Should I even approach this game?

How did we ever start mentioning Metal Gear Solid and this game in the same breath?
They have absolutely no similarities, you can hate MGS with a passion and you might still like this.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Few hours in. Thoughts:

-Samus voice actor is terrible terrible terrible. The monologues are terrible terrible terrible. There is really no way around it.

-Sense evade mechanic is really satisfying. I felt like I could dodge and counterpunch pretty much anything after an initial adjustment. No troubles at all with the controls, love the simplicity of the Dpad. I thought my hand would cramp but it's all good so far.

-Difficulty is spot on so far. Damage is high enough that I have to tread carefully . Surprise OKO's keeps things tense.

- Environment and enemies are nice and varied.
The plant boss fight was really quite enjoyable.

- Animations are excellent. Music is not catchy but suits the game.

Poyunch

Snuggler said:
I just the shinespark recently.

How did we ever start mentioning Metal Gear Solid and this game in the same breath?
They have absolutely no similarities, you can hate MGS with a passion and you might still like this.
Oh yeah. Just keep truckin' then. Don't give up on those Super Missiles!

Dragmire said:
I don't know I just miss it. Same thing with the music. I'm not usually a game music buff but Metroid's got some of the most memorable music. Little touches and all.

Solune

Haunted said:
Do you like Metroid? Then yes.

Do you hate Metroid? Then no.

This game is worth it for the awesome Metroid gameplay alone. I'll say it again, best shinespark in the series.

So much sense in one post in this thread, it actually hurts my head.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Thanks.

By the way, when you mean last boss, you mean the boss to Sector 1, right?
I don't want to spoil anything. Let's just say that certain items are inaccesable for quite a while. :D

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
jaundicejuice said:
Nearly 3 hours in, just acquired
the wave beam
and eh, it's okay. The controls with just the wiimote are serviceable, kind of clunky but servicable. I would have liked the option to have the classic controller or wiimote/nunchuck combo just the have the analog sticks to control Samus' movement better. I'm fine with the auto-aiming in standard combat but the movement bugs me, it feels mushy. I know you can do the roll-dodge from manually aiming Samus' arm cannon but I would have liked to have the ability to move while manually aiming. I don't understand the thrust in design to try and simplify the controls so that their NES-style, but the game is still in 3D. If Other M was more like New Super Mario Bros in that the gameplay was purely 2D, this NES-style wiimote control scheme probably would feel more natural.

I like that the general aiming is handled automatically, the gunplay kind of takes a back seat to the platforming. Other M also feels much more action-oriented with its emphasis on inter-acting with enemies (beam attack to their face, or using a melee attack to escape a grapple) or dodging their attacks.

The overall thrust of making the game more cinematic would've been so much better if Samus didn't narrate everything. Other M doesn't feel like it has been localised, it feels like it's been translated word for stilted word. If you complete remove Samus' over-exposition and cut down on the length of the shots in which she narrated, they would have achieved a better result.

And there's no item acquisition sound, that just bothers me.

I'm enjoying the gameplay, but it's kind of a mixed bag for me.
An alternate control scheme would be nice. The game seems to center around two concepts. One is stunning enemies and then going for the kill shot with missiles. The other is dodging an attack and hitting your opponent with a charged beam. This works great for standard enemies, but I found it didn't work well for most of the big bosses. I think this is where a more traditional lock on feature would have benefited the game. I need to give it another go though to be fair. The first play thru is really jarring. I can't believe this game started development in 2006.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Finished the game yesterday, about 8.5 hours with about 40% of the items.

The story was surprisingly less annoying that everyone was whining that it would be; to be honest, the only thing that really bugged me was the silly "thumbs down" scene.

The game was fun and rarely let up on Metroid-esque action; I never felt like I was fighting the controls, and so I must assume the controls were perfect for the game. The game design seemed perfect for using just a joypad -- it would be far clumsier and more awkward if you used an analog joystick, as you wouldn't have such precise placement of Samus.

High points of the game:
Queen Metroid
reveal (I really wasn't expecting that)
* Frantically refilling energy in the middle of a boss fight
* Killing dozens of bad guys on screen at the same time
* Samus's artistic little flips when jumping from place to place.

Low points of the game . . . well, there are only two, really.
1) "Thumbs down" -- it was such a silly looking, awkward scene.
2) Too short -- yeah, I know, it's a Metroid game. It still feels like it ended halfway through the game.
3) Tied to point 2, the game ends on a weird note.
The extended story and mini-battle sequence after the Queen made me think the game was still going, and left me confused/annoyed/frustrated when it was revealed to be the end. If the game had sharply ended after the Queen's death, OR if I had been given one more boss fight, I'd be more satisfied. The game hints at a battle with MB, but then SHOWS IT TO YOU instead of letting you fight... that's really annoying. The credits roll as I sat in a state of frustration at being "cheated" of a real final sequence.
4) I know it's a Metroid game, but there seem to be too many "unfair"/obscure sequences in the game. It sounds like nearly everyone struggled with at least ONE of the "find the item" scenes, and I was really annoyed by
power bombing of the Queen Metroid
. It seems inexcusable to require the player to use an attack that the player should have NO IDEA is either possible or required at the moment. I mean, I knew what to do because of playing
Metroid II
, and couldn't figure out why nothing was working. How am I supposed to know that
I can suddenly use a power that had been locked off the entire game
?

Even if my "problems" section seems long, I enjoyed Metroid: Other M . . . I can see it being a solid "B" game.

Edit: Yes, I know all about
the last, LAST boss battle. Against Phantoon.
The story still ends too abruptly.

Top Bottom