• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

heringer

Took a single pic today.

otherm.jpg

Boney

Banned
It used to work alright, but now with tougher enemies they're giving me trouble. Just got the wave beam.

Just wanted to know if you had to charge your beam, press the pad at the correct time or fire or whatever.

Danielsan

Finished the game today
or thought I did
The ending was incredibly lame and kinda threw all sympathy I had gained for the game out of the window. Then the
credits rolled and I found myself back on the bottle ship. Perhaps the game will redeem itself for that shittacular faux ending
. Currently working towards my 100% completion rate. I'm at 86%, 82% before the ending.

All in all I enjoyed/am enjoying the game, but it isn't even worthy to lick the dirt of Prime's boot. Easily the worst Metroid game after Hunters (which isn't saying much). :lol

Poyunch

I need some help looking for powerups.

Anyway in the circular room in the Main sector right before the area where you enter the different sectors there's some powerup behind the elevator where is it?

Also I'm in Sector 1. One of the powerups is really giving me a headache. There's some sort of panel on the ceiling of the downward hill. How the heck do I shoot it? (It looks like a seeker missile panel but I don't have enough time to lock-on and shoot).

IceMarker

So after getting about 75% of the way through Sector 1 here are my impressions so far...

+Pros
++Game feels very professionally done, graphics are simple yet easy on the eyes, but not without a muddy texture here or there, water is fantastic.
++Action is near-top notch. I love jumping on enemies and blasting their faces in.
++The mystery. I have that same feeling I did during Metroid Fusion wondering what happened here and why it's happening.
++Controls. There are only very few moments not during cutscenes, cinematics, etc. where I felt the controls were not precise. Switching between Third-Person and First-Person is a little weird though.

-Cons
--Story. I'm not sure I'm gonna enjoy this as much as other Metroids. And most players and reviewers were right on how Samus talks ALOT in the beginning. Not so sure I'm cool with this, but for me it's a minor gripe. On the pro side, it's kinda cool how many connections you can make between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion.
--Voice Acting. It's not THAT bad, it really isn't, but at times it seems forced, monotone, or sometimes like in typical anime fashion. Luckily it's decent enough to warrant me not turning it off.
--"Examination Parts". There are parts of the game that force you to look around in first-person mode for clues to something. At these parts, and there's one in the beginning of the game. You have to basically wave your cursor around and get lucky looking for a tiny little red circle and then lock onto it for a couple seconds, while this sounds easy, sometimes it took me at least 5 MINUTES just to find the damn red circle while holding B and waving my Wii remote like crazy searching for the damn thing. Please tell me I'm doing these parts wrong.
--Weapons Progression because of Adam. Lol no.

Overall I think the game by the end will be an 8.5 or a 9. It may not be the most Metroid of the Metroids, but it's still A) a Metroid and B) a damn fine game. Damn fine.

I think the game is gonna be a black sheep like Super Mario Bros. 2 was to the Super Mario Bros. series.

Well despite all the negativity I'm finding myself enjoying this game more and more the further I get. There were actually a few a sequences after getting into the lava zone where I actually almost died. Everything up to that point had been so easy I'm happy to see the difficulty kicking in. Actually had a couple boss fights that were worthy of being boss fights too. For all this games faults I'm still having a blast and see no reason why I won't do another run through unless the game does something stupid enough to fall off a cliff.

Now I know everyone knows about it and it's been touched on forever but I feel the need to at least bitch about it once. The authorization shit from Adam is the worst excuse for limiting your abilities...ever. If it had just been weapons I could buy it but even shit like the grappling hook has to be authorized. It's ridiculous and makes no logical sense. Hopefully they'll at least come up with some super lame excuse why Adam needs to endanger the mission by limiting your ability to progress for no other reason than....um...to limit your ability to progress. =/

heringer

Space A Cobra said:
Now I know everyone knows about it and it's been touched on forever but I feel the need to at least bitch about it once. The authorization shit from Adam is the worst excuse for limiting your abilities...ever. If it had just been weapons I could buy it but even shit like the grappling hook has to be authorized. It's ridiculous and makes no logical sense. Hopefully they'll at least come up with some super lame excuse why Adam needs to endanger the mission by limiting your ability to progress for no other reason than....um...to limit your ability to progress. =/
It does take away the cool factor of finding new stuff, but it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. So far the only time I caught myself thinking "ok, that's stupid" was the authorization to use the Varia Suit. :lol

Mudkips

Banned
robor said:
I played Metroid after playing Super Metroid and I didn't like it because it was too hard for me.

Translated.

Metroid is very awesome and very playable. It requires thinking, patience, and skill. Map-making is also helpful. There was a time when these were considered good things. There was a time when people liked exploring game worlds and discovering things on their own. Those were better times.

Boney

Banned
MrMister said:
--"Examination Parts". There are parts of the game that force you to look around in first-person mode for clues to something. At these parts, and there's one in the beginning of the game. You have to basically wave your cursor around and get lucky looking for a tiny little red circle and then lock onto it for a couple seconds, while this sounds easy, sometimes it took me at least 5 MINUTES just to find the damn red circle while holding B and waving my Wii remote like crazy searching for the damn thing. Please tell me I'm doing these parts wrong.
You are actually. Doesn't make them any less infuriating. In order to lock on in these sections. You have to let go of the B button.

jman2050

Got the game currently
just beat the wasp hive thingy in Biosphere
and I really don't get the complaints about the controls at all. They pretty much succeeded in exactly what they wanted to, and movement feels natural even with the dpad and the platforming controls are downright amazing. Combat is handled really well too. The autoaim becomes a necessity when you realize that the game emphasizes proper positioning and dodging rather than actual aiming to get the job done in most cases. Switching to first person was definitely weird for the first hour or so, but it's incredibly easy to get used to, especially once you get the hang of dodging in first person, which significantly reduces any frustrations that may be associated with it.

It also introduces a very interesting risk and reward scenario, as missiles are by far the most effective method of disposing of enemies (at least at this point in the game), and Concentration eliminates the feeling of having to hoard. So finishing combat quickly becomes a matter of knowing where your enemies are, maneuvering yourself around quickly and giving yourself enough space to use your missiles without getting overwhelmed. And it works damn well too once you get used to it.

Some complaints: Samus's voice acting is really bad. Like, really really bad. Her little monologues are so bad it's almost distracting, but thankfully, contrary to popular belief, beyond the first half hour the gameplay-to-cutscene ratio is still substantially high. The over-the-shoulder segments control weirdly and seem unnecessary, but are (so far) harmless. However, the first person segments where you have to search for whatever stupid thing Samus notices is REALLY irritating and represent the only moments where I've wanted to stab the developers so far. The one right before the aforementioned boss was just plain stupid.

Obviously there's still a lot to go, but there isn't a lot to complain about so far besides it maybe not being "Metroid" enough, but it certainly is not any less a Metroid game then say, Fusion was. The Fusion comparisons seem spot on actually, although obviously this game has far better combat :p

EDIT - Also the repeating rooms in Metroid are very very much due to NES limitations, very obviously so in fact. Most of the hardware memory mapping extensions that made some of the more modern NES games possible weren't made yet at that point, so it isn't like Metroid had a lot of room to work with as far as storing level data. That they made it work on such an expansive level at all is an achievement, which is why I always considered Metroid way ahead of its time.

Vik_Vaughn said:
Okay, all this negative talk has me really torn. I've now got a hankering for metroid, but I don't know if this game is going to fulfill that. I've played everything up to the first Prime, and haven't touched the other two. Should I just go get the trilogy and play through the last 2 instead of getting this?
Played all the metroid games only the first prime didn't bother with the others (also felt 2/3 stole the idea from fusion). Don't understand the hype about the prime games as if those are the definitive metroid games as I still consider zero mission/fusion the ones; they definitely streamlined the formula (removed player frustration of just getting lost running in circles). I HATE running around open world "exploring" in games where there is no indication where to go next.. I'm trying to hit the next story sequence. Prime was a fun experiment but really it's just "first person adventure" and a whole lot of scanning. Other M is more like fusion/zm as being a guided experience although even less exploration and weaker music but the action/responsiveness makes her first transition into agile instead of the sluggish tank in prime.

I played for three hours and made good progress in the game. I have many new abilities, some that feel distinctly Metroid. Other than that it still feels like a different action game but a quality one.

It is cool moment after cool moment. Each major room has something unique going on whether its a new enemy or a major action setpiece. It could be a platforming segment or even a simple puzzle. Its always something, the game keeps you on your toes as any good action game should. I fought a few boss battles and they were all pretty good, though so far they seem to all follow the same pattern on how to defeat them.

I am past 6 hours in and the game still doesn't let me explore but I am starting to return to old areas with new upgrades, but most of the time you get the one upgrade that allows you to advance to the new area you need to go to. Other than lack of exploration at the moment and practically no music this game is great. The action is good enough to keep fights interesting while not being as complicated as stuff like DMC or NG. I personally prefer NG/DMC but this is fine. Its a mix of two game styles (metroid and NG), Other M doesn't do either as well as the originals but together it makes for a unique game.

robor

Mudkips said:
Translated.

Metroid is very awesome and very playable. It requires thinking, patience, and skill. Map-making is also helpful. There was a time when these were considered good things. There was a time when people liked exploring game worlds and discovering things on their own. Those were better times.

Mistranslation. If a game asks me to extend myself beyond the parameters of the game itself in order for me to keep the pacing at a constant flow, then one would question if that's an issue of it being hard, or it being over-demanding on the player's behalf to apply a mechanic that should have been inherent in the game itself.

It's not a matter of difficulty, but a matter of unnecessary patience.

Philthy

Mudkips said:
Translated.

Metroid was pretty special that they purposely made the game very hard to explore, with many hidden areas. At the time it came out, it was incredibly ground breaking. It took console gaming up a whole step. The one thing I remember most that was on every ones lips back in middle school at the time was that "this isn't a game a little kid could figure out or play". It broke away from Super Mario that was accessible to nearly everyone. We spent entire weekends mapping every corner of that game. We shot every brick, bombed every brick, tried to jump through every brick. We were determined to find every secret. We found out the 'wall walk' glitch and it made exploring even MORE vast.

I may be from a different time, but seeing people post that Metroid was a "mess", or that each area wasn't clearly defined (It was) just blows me away. As good as Super Metroid was, this original still outshines it. It exists in a vacuum because it was so non-linear and so new.

When Zelda came out, it was another dose of awesome. Same routine, explore every brick on the map with every item in your inventory. This game isn't going to play itself.

Haunted

PounchEnvy said:
I need some help looking for powerups.

Anyway in the circular room in the Main sector right before the area where you enter the different sectors there's some powerup behind the elevator where is it?

Also I'm in Sector 1. One of the powerups is really giving me a headache. There's some sort of panel on the ceiling of the downward hill. How the heck do I shoot it? (It looks like a seeker missile panel but I don't have enough time to lock-on and shoot).
If you missed it the first time around and the elevator's locked now, you'll get to it during the post-game content. It's in a semi-circular pipe behind the elevator, it's on the very bottom of the elevator, so it can be confusing seeing the dot on the minimap when you're actually above the room it's in.

You're on the right track, you do have to lock on while sliding down. It takes very good timing to do so, I had to try a couple times. Once you manage to lock on time will slow down, so you can't fail actually shooting it.

About the authorizing of abilities. It wouldn't be so bad if it was a substitute for finding them, but in this game you gain abilities in the middle of a fight. That doesn't feel anything like finding a powerup in the game world, it just feels totally random. Some like to say it is no different than grabbing a powerup in the game world, wrong, in old Metroid games you had to find it. You would explore an area and then you find your way into the powerup room and that was always a moment excitement. It is a very distinct feeling.

Boney

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
About the authorizing of abilities. It wouldn't be so bad if it was a substitute for finding them, but in this game you gain abilities in the middle of a fight. That doesn't feel anything like finding a powerup in the game world, it just feels totally random. Some like to say it is no different than grabbing a powerup in the game world, wrong, in old Metroid games you had to find it. You would explore an area and then you find your way into the powerup room and that was always a moment excitement. It is a very distinct feeling.
I personally like it, but it could've been done in more dramatic ways most of the time.
The
grapple beam
authorization was pretty cool.

Haunted

The authorisation feels more contrived than how the upgrades are handled in any other Metroid game, I agree.

I mean, it's all just excuses to take away your powers and feed them to you at key points of the action later on, but the consistent negative reaction to how Other M does it just go to show how important it is to dress these things up correctly.

That said, it's a relatively small nitpick, same with the classic jingles being absent. Would've helped, but no dealbreakers by any means.

edit: I did like how
Samus is responsible for most of the late game authorisations herself.
:D

Authorization is perfectly sensible concerning weapons. But it's maddening in regards to tools and defensive systems.
I'm only just past the pyrosphere right now, but the authorization for the Varia Suit had me screaming profanities at the TV. I imagined Adam sitting at his little command center watching Samus slowly fry in the volcanic heat thinking, "Maaaaybe I should give her permission to protect herself. Ehhhh...she's dying but not thaat fast yet. I'll just wait a little while and see what crops up." As for Samus...ugh. I'd thinking even the most cowed individual would at least ask command for permission to put up the frikkin' heat shield.

Philthy said:
Metroid was pretty special that they purposely made the game very hard to explore, with many hidden areas. At the time it came out, it was incredibly ground breaking. It took console gaming up a whole step. The one thing I remember most that was on every ones lips back in middle school at the time was that "this isn't a game a little kid could figure out or play". It broke away from Super Mario that was accessible to nearly everyone. We spent entire weekends mapping every corner of that game. We shot every brick, bombed every brick, tried to jump through every brick. We were determined to find every secret. We found out the 'wall walk' glitch and it made exploring even MORE vast.

I may be from a different time, but seeing people post that Metroid was a "mess", or that each area wasn't clearly defined (It was) just blows me away. As good as Super Metroid was, this original still outshines it. It exists in a vacuum because it was so non-linear and so new.

When Zelda came out, it was another dose of awesome. Same routine, explore every brick on the map with every item in your inventory. This game isn't going to play itself.
This is what you call nostalgia googles and if a game was made with this today it would be crushed by negative reviews "bad/dated designs", it's like overcomplication by pixel hunting or level goal being hidden.

Philthy

anotheriori said:
This is what you call nostalgia googles and if a game was made with this today it would be crushed by negative reviews "bad/dated designs", it's like overcomplication by pixel hunting or level goal being hidden.

It would never have been made today. This argument isn't really valid of any purpose. It's like saying if the Model T came out today it would be booed because it hardly worked. That isn't the point, the significance of it outweighs everything else about it "today". Trying to say it had poor gas mileage or didn't come in any colors would be silly.

jman2050

anotheriori said:

Make no mistake, Metroid is still a very well designed game and its problems are almost entirely the result of it being on the NES early in its life, nothing more.

Those problems just simply can't be ignored, especially when games like Super Metroid and MZM take the formula and demonstrate what is truly possible when not constrained by the hardware.

gdt

Muppet345 said:
OK. The hate stops here.

This game is a masterpiece, and its critics do not comprehend visual media on the same level as Sakamoto. Most of you seem too immature to understand the plot structure. Like how all of you criticize the voice acting without realizing its a stylistic choice. And another example, this scene is a fantastic exploration of the dyanmic between Samus and her commandering officer. It is difficult to understand it when you have the emotional maturity of a manchild but she is a traumatized, pained individual and her behavior in the game is realistic. If your parents were murdered by a fucking firebreathing immortal space dragon you would develop PTSD too. Samus has finally been given characterization appropriate for her gender and you all criticize it? Um, no. It pisses me off that we finally get some intelligence in videogame writing but gamers can't handle it so now we'll probably never get it again and it will be your faults. You're ruining it for the rest of us who can grasp this stuff, so if you don't like it go play other games. There's plenty out there for you and not much out there for us.

What the hell are you smoking?

jman2050

Muppet345 said:
OK. The hate stops here.

This game is a masterpiece, and its critics do not comprehend visual media on the same level as Sakamoto. Most of you seem too immature to understand the plot structure. Like how all of you criticize the voice acting without realizing its a stylistic choice. And another example, this scene is a fantastic exploration of the dyanmic between Samus and her commandering officer. It is difficult to understand it when you have the emotional maturity of a manchild but she is a traumatized, pained individual and her behavior in the game is realistic. If your parents were murdered by a fucking firebreathing immortal space dragon you would develop PTSD too. Samus has finally been given characterization appropriate for her gender and you all criticize it? Um, no. It pisses me off that we finally get some intelligence in videogame writing but gamers can't handle it so now we'll probably never get it again and it will be your faults. You're ruining it for the rest of us who can grasp this stuff, so if you don't like it go play other games. There's plenty out there for you and not much out there for us.

You're overcompensating.

anotheriori said:
Played all the metroid games only the first prime didn't bother with the others (also felt 2/3 stole the idea from fusion). Don't understand the hype about the prime games as if those are the definitive metroid games as I still consider zero mission/fusion the ones; they definitely streamlined the formula (removed player frustration of just getting lost running in circles). I HATE running around open world "exploring" in games where there is no indication where to go next.. I'm trying to hit the next story sequence. Prime was a fun experiment but really it's just "first person adventure" and a whole lot of scanning. Other M is more like fusion/zm as being a guided experience although even less exploration and weaker music but the action/responsiveness makes her first transition into agile instead of the sluggish tank in prime.

No offence, but I kinda cringed reading this post.

Personal preference yada yada but you're kind of playing Metroid for the wrong reasons. You're supposed to get lost and confused at least a couple of times during the adventure - it makes eventually figuring out where to go next all the more satisfying. It's what makes Metroid so damn good - the feeling of discovery and the satisfaction of feeling clever.

Threi

notag
I like how all the complaints about the authorization system stem from the same point in the game
pyrosphere
, yet nobody seems to mention how dumb samus is herself for
waiting so long to make use of her own gravity suit, considering she went through the entire enhanced gravity area beforehand

basically, it's just a game mechanic, stop taking it so seriously.

GamerSoul

Muppet345 said:
OK. The hate stops here.

I don't care what they say, Im agreeing with the fact that they gave us a unique look into Samus's past and her experiences up to other m. And there was nothing wrong with that.

And im not sure if this was missed but I guess at gamescon '10 they made a montage of the games as they relate storywise. The narrator seems to be the same VA too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0qWINxFkUs&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Poyunch

Haunted said:
If you missed it the first time around and the elevator's locked now, you'll get to it during the post-game content. It's in a semi-circular pipe behind the elevator, it's on the very bottom of the elevator, so it can be confusing seeing the dot on the minimap when you're actually above the room it's in.

You're on the right track, you do have to lock on while sliding down. It takes very good timing to do so, I had to try a couple times. Once you manage to lock on time will slow down, so you can't fail actually shooting it.
I am at the post-game content and the elevator's locked.

Okay I have one last upgrade in Sector 1. How the heck do I get it?
It's the far northwest room and it's on some platform I can't reach. I see some door in the background but can't find any rooms that lead to it.

Penguin

Threi said:
I like how all the complaints about the authorization system stem from the same point in the game
pyrosphere
, yet nobody seems to mention how dumb samus is herself for
waiting so long to make use of her own gravity suit, considering she went through the entire enhanced gravity area beforehand

basically, it's just a game mechanic, stop taking it so seriously.

There are a few moments in the game.. where its kind of iffy.

I mean I understand the mechanics behind it, but they really should have given a bit more instructions like what they do with the power bomb!

Boney

Banned
I'm pretty sure maelstrom isn't a guy studying business and the like, but is instead a psychology major and is trolling all of us.

dkeane

What's the best way to beat the normal characters that have 2 antennae looking things that become electrified and shoot purple balls on energy at you? Really annoyed me last night.

jman2050

EDIT - Holy shit I actually read his reasons for why Super Metroid started the decline of the series. There's no way this isn't a troll post. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

-The game felt more like a re-make than a sequel. Metroid II was a sequel in that you went to a different planet and fought different bosses. In Super Metroid, it had the identical setting and bosses as NES Metroid. We have blown up Kraid, Ridley, and Mother Brain before. Why must we do so again? Doesn’t Nintendo have anything new to tell after eight years? It felt more like a remake because of this and that the name of the game was Super Metroid instead of Metroid 3 (despite it appearing at the title screen). It was as if a remake of NES Metroid with some ‘expansions’ (like Maridia and Crateria).

Do I even need to say anything more?

dkeane said:
What's the best way to beat the normal characters that have 2 antennae looking things that become electrified and shoot purple balls on energy at you? Really annoyed me last night.

Charge up your shot.
Use a finishing move.

They'll go into an invincible state.
Charge shot them but keep your distance. This will make them throw an energy ball.
Repeat a couple times until they're normal again.

Charge up your shot.
Use a finishing move.

scitek

jman2050 said:
Just skimming through random paragraphs that's the most ridiculous article I've seen in a long time :lol

I stopped when he said Super Metroid is "vastly overrated". Christ on a bike.

Poyunch

dkeane said:
Yeah I hate these enemies so much. Just keep dodging and shooting with beams. When they get all angry and turn orange use a missile when they leave themselves open so that they're no longer invincible. The best part is when you get the (do not read unless you want to be spoiled)
Screw Attack
you can kill them with one hit.

Top Bottom