• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Boney

Banned
Anyone that would give the article an 8.5 or above in a review I'll seriously bring into question their objectivity. They obviously have blinders on and aren't looking at facts.

Hey guys, I'm kind of stuck.

I'm pretty far along (5hrs+ maybe) and
I just beat the boss in the geothermal powerplant room. So now I'm stuck on the big circular platform, I can see a grapple point but I can't go into first person view..
so how the fuck do I get out of here?

dkeane said:
What's the best way to beat the normal characters that have 2 antennae looking things that become electrified and shoot purple balls on energy at you? Really annoyed me last night.
I hate those guys, but the best thing to do is stay close and hit them with a full charge. If you're close enough, lethal strike ASAP as they will be in a down state for a split second. You can go either fight those guys for several seconds or a couple minutes depending on your luck. Once they get electrified though, missile and repeat the process.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
_Alkaline_ said:
Who the fuck says Super Mario Bros. is a bad game?
The level design is completely linear, they recycle the same boss fight over and over, you only visit two or three different environments with the exact same music, the main character is completely lacking in characterization, there's not even any voice acting and he's a horribly racist Italian caricature, and the bouncing of the fireballs makes it hard to predict whether they'll hit an enemy or not. But the jumping is alright. From both mechanical and artistic perspectives a shoddy piece of work.
2/5

Danielsan

Well fuck. Trying to get 100% items and I'm missing two in the main sector.
All fine and dandy accept the game won't let me take the elevator up anymore.
What gives?

Boney

Banned
DownLikeBCPowder said:

I just beat the boss in the geothermal powerplant room. So now I'm stuck on the big circular platform, I can see a grapple point but I can't go into first person view..
I think I'm in the same spot.
Got in, can't do anything and now I can't get out because a wall is blocking the grapple point.

DownLikeBCPowder said:

Who was the boss again?
was it that flying thing with the crazy long arms and missiles?

_Alkaline_ said:
No offence, but I kinda cringed reading this post.

Personal preference yada yada but you're kind of playing Metroid for the wrong reasons. You're supposed to get lost and confused at least a couple of times during the adventure - it makes eventually figuring out where to go next all the more satisfying. It's what makes Metroid so damn good - the feeling of discovery and the satisfaction of feeling clever.

Agree to disagree, I like at least a point to goto in ZM/Fusion if I choose to tread off the beaten path its my option I want progression/pacing/guided experience. This is just as old as "here's the game figure it out" design.

Az987

all good things
Ok so I was wondering what was taking so long with my promotional credit so I emailed Amazon and the customer service person refunded me $24 instead :lol

So I used $20 credit to get Metroid other M for $30 and now I got refunded another $24 so I got the game for $6 :D

Watch them still send me the promotional credit too

Boney said:
I think I'm in the same spot.
Got in, can't do anything and now I can't get out because a wall is blocking the grapple point.

Well, I don't see any walls. I appear to be on a circular platform and that's it. I can see a grapple point up in the air when I go to what seems like the south part of this platform but I can't go into first person view at all.. I don't get it!

Boney

Banned
donkey show said:
Who was the boss again?
was it that flying thing with the crazy long arms and missiles?
Yeah, that one. I skipped the morphball alt route and went for the grapple beam way. Now I'm stuck.

Edit, then you're ahead of me :lol

PounchEnvy said:
Why can't you go into first person? I don't think I had a problem during that part.

Yeah, I literally can't! I couldn't during the fight either (but I thought that was just their way of saying don't bother using missles). But now I'm starting to wonder.

jman2050 said:
EDIT - Holy shit I actually read his reasons for why Super Metroid started the decline of the series. There's no way this isn't a troll post. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Do I even need to say anything more?

You see, people were disappointed with Super Metroid (no they weren't) because they were bothered (no they weren't) by the fact that Zebes is back after you blew it up in Metroid 1 (no you didn't) and that's why Super Metroid sold poorly.

Poyunch

DownLikeBCPowder said:
Yeah, I literally can't! I couldn't during the fight either (but I thought that was just their way of saying don't bother using missles). But now I'm starting to wonder.
Yeah you can definitely go into first person during the fight. I even thought it was necessary. Maybe something's wrong with your Wiimote or lighting(?).

Boney

Banned
Seriously I'm upset now. Crossed the gap with the grapple beam, but the wall doesn't let me go back. There's a small area with some rocks and pipes and a little ladder and a closed door. There's nothing to do :(

PounchEnvy said:
Yeah you can definitely go into first person during the fight. I even thought it was necessary. Maybe something's wrong with your Wiimote or lighting(?).
I tried switching Wiimotes and didn't help the problem. I didn't have to go into first person to finish the fight so I figured it was reasonable.

EDIT I meant switching Wiimotes didn't fix the problem. Sorry.

Poyunch

DownLikeBCPowder said:
I tried switching Wiimotes and didn't have a problem. I didn't have to go into first person to finish the fight so I figured it was reasonable.
So wait did you get into first person now?

edit: Oh. Hmm I don't know then.

Boney said:
Seriously I'm upset now. Crossed the gap with the grapple beam, but the wall doesn't let me go back. There's a small area with some rocks and pipes and a little ladder and a closed door. There's nothing to do :(
Why don't you just grapple back?

Forkball

So how long is this game? Is it your typical 5 hour adventure like the other Metroids? I'd love to see a more expansive Metroid title that took 20+ hours to complete.

Boney

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
Why don't you just grapple back?
I can't reach them. It only gets green if I go as close to the wall/barrier as I can and jump. They're too high and the well messes up the angle.

And there's nothing else to do in the room

:mad:

Danielsan

PounchEnvy said:
Do you mean after beating
the Queen Metroid?
No I mean after clearing out all the sectors after the credits.
Regardless it doesn't seem to matter as the game allows me to play the main sector part again after truly finishing the game. So disregard my angry comment. :lol

Poyunch

Danielsan said:
No I mean after clearing out all the sectors after the credits.
Regardless it doesn't seem to matter as the game allows me to play the main sector part again after truly finishing the game. So disregard my angry comment. :lol
Okay good.

Hey so could you help me with this?

Okay I have one last upgrade in Sector 1. How the heck do I get it?
It's the far northwest room and it's on some platform I can't reach. I see some door in the background but can't find any rooms that lead to it.

OOops meant northeast.

So for the endgame stuff, how the hell do you kill those beetle like things that you
wake up with the power bomb
? First one I fought just fucking owned me like I was a little bitch.

Nabs

DownLikeBCPowder said:
I tried switching Wiimotes and didn't help the problem. I didn't have to go into first person to finish the fight so I figured it was reasonable.

EDIT I meant switching Wiimotes didn't fix the problem. Sorry.

somethings wrong.

Poyunch

Shin Johnpv said:
So for the endgame stuff, how the hell do you kill those beetle like things that you
Just dodge and shoot and when it's down do a finalizer or else it will heal.

Wizpig

Back in the Metroid Prime years
“[We asked him], what would Samus do if Space Pirates took someone as a hostage and said, while pointing a gun to their head, ‘Samus, back off!’ How would Samus react?”

“What we heard from him was that she would not say, ‘Hold on!’ or show any emotions. She would just bring up her gun and shoot a head shot at the Space Pirate.

Then what the heck happened with Other M? Not even Sakamoto is consistent with Sakamoto.

Oh, Sakamoto...

scitek said:
I stopped when he said Super Metroid is "vastly overrated".

well, some people have that opinion... i do... i played it a few years back and didnt think it was any better than fusion or zero mission. and that was before i knew of anyone else's opinion of the series... (its just the kinda thing you dont talk about around here. haha.)

edit: and i dont know about this other:M... i think its great. but maybe thats because after all i had heard about it, my expectations were lower than they shouldve been. everything i heard of being horrible is actually quite good: VA, controls, cut scenes, story... we'll see if all that holds up as im only a few hours in.

wsippel

Banned
Shin Johnpv said:
A couple of Charge Beams followed by a finishing move usually does the trick. But you have to be quick when they're down. Or, if you have the chance, Super Missiles also work.

Forkball said:
So how long is this game? Is it your typical 5 hour adventure like the other Metroids? I'd love to see a more expansive Metroid title that took 20+ hours to complete.

I hear about 10 hours, I am 6 hours in and still feel like I have a lot to do.

The Metroid Prime games are 20 hour games.

scitek

thecouncil said:
well, some people have that opinion... i do... i played it a few years back and didnt think it was any better than fusion or zero mission. and that was before i knew of anyone else's opinion of the series... (its just the kinda thing you dont talk about around here. haha.)

edit: and i dont know about this other:M... i think its great. but maybe thats because after all i had heard about it, my expectations were lower than they shouldve been. everything i heard of being horrible is actually quite good: VA, controls, cut scenes, story... we'll see if all that holds up as im only a few hours in.
I actually don't disagree with you. None of them are overrated, they're all literally some of the best games I've ever played.

Wizpig

Muppet345 said:
Samus has finally been given characterization appropriate for her gender and you all criticize it? Um, no.
4cd3da13226ee18b6ca6a8bbb85a9e9b.jpg

wsippel

Banned
Wizpig said:

Oh, Sakamoto...
That's not really all that inconsistent with her behavior in Other M. He didn't say she would shoot the hostage, you know. And well, don't read this unless you've already finished the game,
she also blows the queen to pieces with a Power Bomb even though there's a bystander, completely disregarding what Adam told her earlier.

Wizpig said:

*quote*

Oh, Sakamoto...
Other M's storytelling seems like the result of Sakamoto having a free hand and following his worst instincts without anyone to seriously question him or provide oversight (barring a guy who begged to use the zero suit in every scene :p). Looking at the franchise, it seems like he's good at coming up with general scenarios, but when it comes down to fleshing out individual characters he's stuck on paper thin cliches and embarrassing over-explanatory exposition. It struck me as I watched the first few scenes how much better they would be without the inner monologue. You can already see reactions like hesitation and doubt through the animation alone, but they just had to throw in an emotional play by play with terrible voice acting. I find the assertion that the boring monotone voice overs are actually just great direction laughable, btw. There's some heavy rationalizing at work there. The stilted performance is terrible any way you slice it imo. Maybe it's the director's fault, but the final result is awful either way. It doesn't "convey" anything to me other than someone reading lines very literally in front of a mic, over-enunciating every little word and and pausing at the end of each line with mechanical regularity. Woof.

Boney

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Other M's storytelling seems like the result of Sakamoto having a free hand and following his worst instincts without anyone to seriously question him or provide oversight (barring a guy who begged to use the zero suit in every scene :p). Looking at the franchise, it seems like he's good at coming up with general scenarios, but when it comes down to fleshing out individual characters he's stuck on paper thin cliches and embarrassing over-explanatory exposition. It struck me as I watched the first few scenes how much better they would be without the inner monologue. You can already see reactions like hesitation and doubt through the animation alone, but they just had to throw in an emotional play by play with terrible voice acting. I find the assertion that the boring monotone voice overs are actually just great direction laughable, btw. There's some heavy rationalizing at work there. The stilted performance is terrible any way you slice it imo. Maybe it's the director's fault, but the final result is awful either way. It doesn't "convey" anything to me other than someone reading lines very literally in front of a mic, over-enunciating every little word and and pausing at the end of each line with mechanical regularity. Woof.

Kard8p3

MiamiWesker said:
I hear about 10 hours, I am 6 hours in and still feel like I have a lot to do.

The Metroid Prime games are 20 hour games.

When were the Prime games 20 hours? The second one felt the longest and it only took me 14 hours. The original took me 11 hours and 3 took just under 11.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm a few hours in and I've got a completely different opinion than many reviewers. The storyline is something I have absolutely no problem with. The voice acting and script is bad, but I don't get people fussing over Adam authorizing weapons considering her past. The argument about sexism is unfounded and ludicrous.

I also differ from reviewers in the sense that I'm just not feeling a pull to play this game. The gameplay seems uninteresting and, unlike every other Metroid game in the past, I have no constant urge to play this game. Maybe things will be different as I keep playing, but right now I'm just trudging through.

I don't have a problem with the switching from 2D to 3D, though. I just wish you could move while in 3D.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Boney said:
Anyone that would give the article an 8.5 or above in a review I'll seriously bring into question their objectivity. They obviously have blinders on and aren't looking at facts.
Take it as you want, but the fact of the matter is, people are giving this game bonus points because it's a Metroid game. There have been more than enough complaints made to justify my thinking. I stand by G4's review in that this is a good, but flawed game. People claiming it's a masterpiece just re-iterate my point. How can anyone objectively say this is a masterpiece? They can't unless they have blinders on. Anyway, to each his own. I'm about to start the game over on hard mode. :D

Owzers

Okayyyy i rented the game today and i start playing, i'm holding the remote sideways like a normal human being would, and the game keeps going crazy and goes back and forth between 1st person and 3rd person over and over again while i'm not even moving the wiimote from its side position. Any guesses as to why this is?

jman2050

MadOdorMachine said:
Take it as you want, but the fact of the matter is, people are giving this game bonus points because it's a Metroid game. There have been more than enough complaints made to justify my thinking. I stand by G4's review in that this is a good, but flawed game. People claiming it's a masterpiece just re-iterate my point. How can anyone objectively say this is a masterpiece? They can't unless they have blinders on. Anyway, to each his own. I'm about to start the game over on hard mode. :D

This is not very logical thinking.

Top Bottom