• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Poyunch

MadOdorMachine said:
Take it as you want, but the fact of the matter is, people are giving this game bonus points because it's a Metroid game. There have been more than enough complaints made to justify my thinking. I stand by G4's review in that this is a good, but flawed game. People claiming it's a masterpiece just re-iterate my point. How can anyone objectively say this is a masterpiece? They can't unless they have blinders on. Anyway, to each his own. I'm about to start the game over on hard mode. :D
Maybe the qualities that make it a Metroid game overshadow the problems of the game? It's not a masterpiece but it's a solid 8 in my eyes.

donkey show said:
Didn't go for 100%?
Well
I didn't want to spoil the post-game surprise. I'm still working on that.

Prime Blue said:
Hopefully Sakamoto makes Samus fall in love with a Chozo in the next game. The meltdowns will be a lot meltier!
"I realized that my true motivation all along was an undying giant bird fetish, yet one that remained shrouded behind the cold metal exterior of my power suit. And yet, was the power suit itself not a symbol of my early benefactors the chozo? ? It clung tightly to my fragile human body, caressing every curve and corner, filling me with the pulsating power of a thousand sexy bird people. Momentarily, my vagina twitched, but then I realized I must complete my mission and blow up the space station/planet/space-station-decorated -like-a-planet."

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
sillymonkey321 said:
Okayyyy i rented the game today and i start playing, i'm holding the remote sideways like a normal human being would, and the game keeps going crazy and goes back and forth between 1st person and 3rd person over and over again while i'm not even moving the wiimote from its side position. Any guesses as to why this is?

Sounds like there's something to your left that the remote camera can see that's mimicking a sensor bar. Try holding your hands in such a way that the camera only sees your hand, or maybe draw the shades if there's a window over there or a lot of reflected light.

McNum

sillymonkey321 said:
Okayyyy i rented the game today and i start playing, i'm holding the remote sideways like a normal human being would, and the game keeps going crazy and goes back and forth between 1st person and 3rd person over and over again while i'm not even moving the wiimote from its side position. Any guesses as to why this is?
Do you have a window to your left? The IR camera can catch sunlight and think it's looking at the sensor bar. Other heat sources can trigger it, too, like candles or any kind of flame.

Wizpig

Malstrom is an idiot but i'll quote him anyways said:
Nintendo is underestimating how Other M will harm the series. It is probable that the Metroid franchise has been essentially destroyed at this point. The character of Samus Aran has been ruined. No longer is Samus Aran ‘cool’ anymore. No longer is Metroid ‘cool’ anymore.
Other M will be the equivalent of the Mario and Zelda CDi games and the Nintendo, of the future, will likely pretend Metroid: Other M never existed (as they do for the CDi games.)

This doesn't mean Other M is a bad game (and certainly not near those CDi abominations), but he is actually right about how the game could have killed the character and series, similar to what happened to Star Fox.

One of the things I've been saying from months is that I feel this will be the "last" Metroid game for years, just like Super Metroid all those years ago.

Poyunch

GrotesqueBeauty said:
"I realized that my true motivation all along was an undying giant bird fetish, yet one that remained shrouded behind the cold metal exterior of my power suit. And yet, was the power suit itself not a symbol of my early benefactors the chozo? ? It clung tightly to my fragile human body, caressing every curve and corner, filling me with the pulsating power of a thousand sexy bird people. Momentarily, my vagina twitched, but then I realized I must complete my mission and blow up the space station/planet/space-station-decorated -like-a-planet."
(spoilers)
http://i56.tinypic.com/33k515f.jpg

Boney

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
Take it as you want, but the fact of the matter is, people are giving this game bonus points because it's a Metroid game. There have been more than enough complaints made to justify my thinking. I stand by G4's review in that this is a good, but flawed game. People claiming it's a masterpiece just re-iterate my point. How can anyone objectively say this is a masterpiece? They can't unless they have blinders on. Anyway, to each his own. I'm about to start the game over on hard mode. :D
I was joking on that.

But as I stand, wouldn't call it a masterpiece by any means.. (that's only reserved for Mother 3), but holy cow it's one of the most engrossing games I've played in years. The action, the speed, the camara, it works flawlessly. When all of it is said and done, (I know I'm gonna get flak for it) I can definately see it as I saw RE4 on '05 and still do to this day.

Owzers

McNum said:
Do you have a window to your left? The IR camera can catch sunlight and think it's looking at the sensor bar. Other heat sources can trigger it, too, like candles or any kind of flame.

To both responses to my post, there is indeed a window to my left, though the shades are drawn it's still quite bright with light, i'll try playing again tonight and see what happens.

Wizpig said:
This doesn't mean Other M is a bad game (and certainly not near those CDi abominations), but he is actually right about how the game could have killed the character and series, similar to what happened to Star Fox.

One of the things I've been saying from months is that I feel this will be the "last" Metroid game for years, just like Super Metroid all those years ago.

Other M doesn't introduce a sexy furry side kick that won't shut up... so no.

Boney

Banned
AceBandage said:
Don't forget, you're still doing what you expect from these games. Not runnin around with a cane or that stupid blaster. And no TBS minigames either!

McNum

sillymonkey321 said:
To both responses to my post, there is indeed a window to my left, though the shades are drawn it's still quite bright with light, i'll try playing again tonight and see what happens.
Try adjusting your Sensor Bar sensitivity in the Wii Settings as well. You can see what the IR camera sees on controller 1 in those settings, so try pointing it at the window and adjusting it downwards until you get no dots visible, if possible.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
It struck me as I watched the first few scenes how much better they would be without the inner monologue. You can already see reactions like hesitation and doubt through the animation alone, but they just had to throw in an emotional play by play with terrible voice acting.

Funnily enough, playing the game I couldn't help but be reminded of Blade Runner's terrible voice overs and how much better the movie was without them despite all the information you lost with their removal. Although I haven't beaten other M yet(And so don't yet know how necessary any of them truly are), I almost feel like removing them would have the same positive effect on the presentation.

AceBandage said:

Which sexy furry side-kick? Falco? No, I'm pretty sure Star Fox went down because the games post SF64 were mediocre.

Kard8p3 said:
When were the Prime games 20 hours? The second one felt the longest and it only took me 14 hours. The original took me 11 hours and 3 took just under 11.

I explored every single area, scan and read every single thing I could scan. It was about 20 hours to complete, maybe a bit less, somewhere between 15-20. They are long games unless you run through them.

DragonGirl said:
Which sexy furry side-kick? Falco? No, I'm pretty sure Star Fox went down because the games post SF64 were mediocre.

Well I don't think changing the game from a space shooter to an on foot adventure game helped either. I think if they made a game that played like SF64 but say with pointer controls for shooting on the Wii the series would be back.

I digress though about that.

This game will NOT kill the Metroid series. People are such melodramatic fools. This game is also good.

Shin Johnpv said:
Well I don't think changing the game from a space shooter to an on foot adventure game helped either. I think if they made a game that played like SF64 but say with pointer controls for shooting on the Wii the series would be back.

I digress though about that.

This game will NOT kill the Metroid series. People are such melodramatic fools. This game is also good.

Just so you know, I don't consider Dinosaur Planet a core Star Fox game any more than Prime Pinball is a core Metroid title.

Also, I'm quite enjoying playing Other M. I want to kick the game designers every now and then but their sometimes questionable choices are far from ruining the experience. So far. I only get to play a couple hours a night so I won't be making serious progress until the weekend.

Desiato

Woo, 100%. Shit was amazing. Definitely not the best Metroid game, but it's still a Metroid game, which means it's still damn great.

Is there an unlockable for beating hard mode?

MrMephistoX

thecouncil said:
well, some people have that opinion... i do... i played it a few years back and didnt think it was any better than fusion or zero mission. and that was before i knew of anyone else's opinion of the series... (its just the kinda thing you dont talk about around here. haha.)

edit: and i dont know about this other:M... i think its great. but maybe thats because after all i had heard about it, my expectations were lower than they shouldve been. everything i heard of being horrible is actually quite good: VA, controls, cut scenes, story... we'll see if all that holds up as im only a few hours in.

Yeah I wouldn't say any Metroid Game is over-rated but I definitely enjoyed Zero Mission a tad bit more than Super Metroid. That's kind of like comparing Zelda OOT and ALTTP though in my book.

Desiato said:
Woo, 100%. Shit was amazing. Definitely not the best Metroid game, but it's still a Metroid game, which means it's still damn great.

Is there an unlockable for beating hard mode?
Sadly, no. =(

Wizpig

DragonGirl said:
That's not the reason, I feel.
And mind you that my first Star Fox game was... Adventures!

Star Fox was all about Fox, Falco, Peppy and Slippy and their "so bad it's good" one-liners in an amazing on-rail game.

Then they changed the characters.
And the games.

Same with Metroid Other M, but you know the difference? Metroid was actually killed/changed (your choice, i'd use "changed") by its own creator, instead of Rare/Namco/others.

kiryogi said:
I'm still a bit upset you can't do
post-end game after finishing in hard. Phantoon woulda been awesome to face
That's exactly what I was thinking, but OMG my thumb would be dead from sense moving all over the place. :lol

Boney said:
I'm seriously stuck here..[/spoiler]

Where is here?

Boney

Banned
donkey show said:
Where is here?
After beating
the laser missile firing beast that tried to kill Anthony. I go down that elevator and there's one of these mouth in the back guys. I kill it and there's 2 paths from here. One through a series of grapple beams that lead me to a locked door and I can't go back, and jumping down or going through the morphball thing where there are 2 lava guys. Kill them nothing there. Try reaching the missile expansion via shinespark, but I can't reach it. Apart from that, there nothing else to do :(

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I think Other M Samus is the "coolest" Samus to date, so ::shrug::
Polarizing is good as it spurts debate, and hey, any publicity is good publicity right?

I would be all for Link getting some monologue action on, to see what he's like.
Though I hope a better writer holds the pen.

Boney said:
After beating
the laser missile firing beast that tried to kill Anthony. I go down that elevator and there's one of these mouth in the back guys. I kill it and there's 2 paths from here. One through a series of grapple beams that lead me to a locked door and I can't go back, and jumping down or going through the morphball thing where there are 2 lava guys. Kill them nothing there. Try reaching the missile expansion via shinespark, but I can't reach it. Apart from that, there nothing else to do :(
Weird... the door should just open after you get past those grapple beams. There really isn't anything else you have to do to unlock it. And you can't get that expansion using the shinespark, btw.

Boney

Banned
donkey show said:
Weird... the door should just open after you get past those grapple beams. There really isn't anything else you have to do to unlock it. And you can't get that expansion using the shinespark, btw.
It doesn't open :(

And I've tried reseting and everything :(

Rrang129

I know some people have said this is usually at 60 fps... My game has been dipping at random points throughout the game, my Wii isnt going bad is it? Maybe Im just being paranoid...

gogojira

GrotesqueBeauty said:
It struck me as I watched the first few scenes how much better they would be without the inner monologue.

Pretty much this. They made her seem weak with the inner monologues, something completely foreign to the franchise. If they would've just sucked all that out, I wouldn't have had to cringe so much.

It also wouldn't have messed with my perceptions that on the battlefield of Other M, she's a fucking beast -- because by the end game, she is. She's made out to be a delicate flower in cutscenes, however. And for however bad people say the voice acting is, the writing is worse.

I made a comment about her overly emotional characterization in Other M, then referred to her as a "goddamn space warrior." I emphasized those last three words too much because I don't mean that she should be fist bumping bros and getting a tat while skull fucking a space pirate with her blaster.

I was simply referring the mentality that Sakamoto had with Wizpig's quote up there, the one where he said:

“What we heard from him was that she would not say, ‘Hold on!’ or show any emotions"

That's the Samus I know and love. I like the mystery behind her and knowing that she's able to destroy evil alien things without a second thought.
The outright horror of seeing Ridley, a beast she's killed countless times by the time Other M happens, is simply unbelievable.

Hell, I wish the whole transparent visor thing would go away though I suppose the opening cutscene of Super Metroid has it, too.

To be clear, I really enjoyed the game and thought that outside of the Samus "development," the story is very interesting. There are definitely some things I would've done differently, but had Sakamoto just held the fuck back on the Samus is a lady shit, the experience would have been more enjoyable.

Tritroid

Wow @
the real ending

Phantoon was a boss in Super Metroid that I actually found somewhat more terrifying than the others. Seeing him here was both unexpected and frightening. :lol Not to mention he's fucking HUGE!

After running to the command bridge
and grabbing Adam's helmet, I remember thinking: 'Aw..that's kinda sad...wait...emergency self destruct? *Super Metroid Evaculation/Ridley theme starts up* ...NO WAY!' *Starts running* :lol

So, so awesome.

Boney

Banned
kiryogi said:
I think you're supposed to backtrack with your new toy. I don't recall either.
You can't... you drop from a hole in the room with the 2 cilinders (I think that's what happened since there are no exits.)

Fuck this :(

Nabs

Boney said:
You can't... you drop from a hole in the room with the 2 cilinders (I think that's what happened since there are no exits.)

Fuck this :(

It's probably right under your nose.

Ridley327

Rrang129 said:
I know some people have said this is usually at 60 fps... My game has been dipping at random points throughout the game, my Wii isnt going bad is it? Maybe Im just being paranoid...
You're just being paranoid; the game does struggle to maintain 60 fps for a good chunk of time.

Az987

all good things
im pretty bad at this game :(

Plus my stupid game keeps going into first person when I have im holding my remote horizontally

I didn't notice that Brad Shoemaker's video review was up.

Pretty much all the professional reviewers I trust (Shoemaker, Kohler, Parish, Gametrailers) really like this game.

I think that's enough for me. Can't wait to finally play it.

Red

Post-game question:
I am at 100% item completion, and there is a yellow diamond pointing me to the upstairs control room in the main sector. The place where Adam hung out most of the game, I think. I can't get to the room, though, because the elevators on both sides are disabled. I thought I'd have to do something dumb beforehand like pick up MB's hair pin (since Samus is making a big deal about reclaiming something that's "irreplaceable)," but I searched all the rooms in the Bioweapons Research section and still can't find it. Why aren't these elevators working?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Boney said:
Looked it up on youtube and the door should be open :(

Man what gives...

Are you still stuck on the same spot? Maybe at this point you're better off just reseting the system and trying it again another way.

I must be about at the same spot, I just got the grappling hook. Finally.
I'm looking forward to just going through the whole facility again once I get all my toys.

Top Bottom