• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Penguin

Threi said:
:lol It needs to be in the thread title. Nobody should have to bear looking for that damn spot.

None of those scenes have been any fun really.

I don't know why they included it.. or why they made the area so tiny, you can't even be close, you have to be exact

Boney

Banned
Penguin said:

I don't know why they included it.. or why they made the area so tiny, you can't even be close, you have to be exact
And maintain for like a second.

Worst parts of the game by far.

I'd gladly take them now instead of just repeating that locked door :(

wsippel

Banned
Zomba13 said:
Oh god that part. Up until that part I sort of understood how people could be annoyed with what's been done with Samus as a character but I could ignore it to a degree. That moment however just made me ignore everything else they did with 'Samus'. It's not Samus in this game. I refuse to believe it's the same Samus that has blown up several planets and eradicated a deadly alien race. I refuse to believe that
she freezes with fear at a monster she has fought and killed countless times, sometimes even made out of METAL. I would understand if it was the first time she was out on her own, bounty hunting and met ridley and remembered what he did to her parents but at this point in time?
Two times. Prime isn't considered canon anymore. And she had no reason to expect him still being alive, let alone on the bottle ship. That, and the fact that Ridley did a lot more than just kill her parents years ago, makes the scene a lot more believable. The main problem is that no game ever really explained who Ridley is and what he's done.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Penguin said:

Yeah, they really are a bizarre decision. They aren't frequent enough to take away much from the game, but it's still enough to knock a point off. It would have made more sense if they combined them with the tank walking and you could just walk around a room and zoom in one suspicious areas to scan and investigate. Plus, they could give you actual hints of what you're looking for. But just standing there and staring at the screen isn't fun. Finding the subject is usually a matter of luck.
Or they could just take it out entirely, either way would be better.
Game is still awesome, though.

AniHawk

I WARNED YA. DIDN'T I WARN YA?

So 100% in 12 hours. There will be spoilers in this post so watch out.

This is a game where I'd love to know more about the behind the scenes. A lot of the decisions made feel like they were done for a 2D game early on, and couldn't really change it too much later on when it came down to the switch to the 3D game. I remember an interview where Sakamoto had said the guys at Team Ninja convinced him that a sorta-3D world would work better. This is where I think the problems with the controls come in. Analog control with the Wii, especially with Nintendo's octagonal sticks, might have served their purpose, but Samus would probably still control too rigidly to do certain things easily (like the speedboost and shinespark). Meaning, if you accidentally tilted your thumb on the stick, you'd lose that momentum immediately and have to start over. This is harder to do on a d-pad. If the game was just 2D like Sakamoto originally intended, then we also wouldn't have had to use just the remote for first-person controls either, and it would probably be a toggle for missiles on and off with the B or minus button or something.

There are a lot of people ragging on the story, and it deserves it. It's poorly written and it kinda doesn't make sense (the fuck happened with the Deleter subplot? Wouldn't it be Anthony? I thought we found every corpse except for KG's and that could've been because one was tossed into lava). However, I think the three main voice actors did a good job despite their shitty script and direction. Samus's actor in particular had extremely little to work with, but she managed to keep it in the realm of "B-video game movie story" like Resident Evil 4. Adam's and Anthony's did a good job too considering what they had. Everyone else was kinda hit and miss.

So, there are a lot of people ragging on the story, and it deserves it, but I keep seeing the argument made that Nintendo's catching up to other companies or they haven't had experience with cinematic games before, and those are both true. However, who gives a shit? Why do we need a story? One told like this? How can someone really focus on sexism or a government conspiracy or a woman following orders when there are actually cutscenes in a Metroid game to begin with? Way to miss the point, guys. Here's the real problem with the story in this game: It forces realism on a video game world. Instead of Samus finding random-ass powers (she only finds one) that make her stronger, faster, better than before, they're unlocked thanks to Adam's authorization (for about 90% of the time). Adam's authorization isn't a bad thing on its own. Actually, in a situation where you don't know what's going on, it makes sense not to use your most powerful shit from the start. It's kinda reminiscent of Aliens when the soldiers were told not to use any guns right before their first encounter with the Xenomorphs. The real problem is this: it takes away accomplishment from the player. Finding upgrades in Metroid is one of those great feelings because usually it comes after some feat of skill or some level of thinking required to get past a certain obstacle. It's a reward, and its effects are usually immediately put to use to get out of the place you just arrived in (so you know how to use it). In Metroid Fusion, this was kinda replaced by boss battles (from what I can remember), but it still had the same idea. In Other M, that feeling of accomplishment is gone, because we know Samus is super badass (and by extension so are we), but we can't do anything super badass because The Story Said So.

And I think the story was probably the other reason for the shift to a 3D world. I don't know all the details, and I'd love to know the real reason for it, but I think part of the convincing happened in part that it would be easier to transition to a cutscene if the game wasn't in 2D. It certainly seems like part of the reason the game looks like it does, and the transitions to and from cutscenes are mostly really smooth and well done. It's kind of a Japanese Uncharted 2 in that respect.

Despite my problems with the story, I did have a good time. My only issues with the controls throughout were how sore it made my thumb on my left hand, and the super missile/seeker missile on the final story boss (well, I guess before you actually start fighting the final story boss). Otherwise, the totally bizarre control scheme worked for me. It was nice to have Samus's arsenal back, and that feeling of being super powerful, especially the screw attack, which was killing minibosses left and right. I think the control scheme went a little too far with the motion control stuff in replenishing health and getting missiles. I like the idea that they could be done in an emergency, but they both should have been done in an emergency, so that you get only how many e-reserve tanks you have and only 20% of your total missile count each time (and only when you're low on either one). Everything else should have been items and health found for killing enemies. It would make the kills more satisfying since you would get something you need out of them.

Music was nice in parts. Wish they'd've gone the Metroid Prime route and had some great music to every section. I mean, there are certain parts that are completely impossible to fuck up, like whenever the Ridley/Escape theme plays, but it was a little too quiet for a lot of the time, and the music seemed to only want to stand out during fights and cutscenes, probably to give those more weight. The only other piece I remember standing out as cool I think happened as Samus was tracking down Melissa for the first time, or maybe it was before El Pollo Loco attacked all the Federation. I'm somewhat sure it was a slow walking segment, but it had this cool, low ambient beat. There was also one piece that sounded like it was from the first Alien film, but I can't remember where that took place. Either Sector 1 or post-credits Sector 3. I wish there was more of that.

The pacing is a lot better than Metroid Prime, and that was my main issue with the Prime games. They all moved so god damn slow. Instead of seeing a door across the room and seeing that door slowly getting bigger until I'm right in front of it so I can shoot it and go through, I can just speedboost the fuck straight through them. The only trade off is that the game has to load so much shit that I found the "Now Loading" screen pop up all over the place especially in the post-game. I saw Now Loading happen as Samus was wall-kicking, running, and once, just standing in a single position. Really frustrating. The game kinda takes its sweet time to do anything interesting too. Unless you're going for extra items, there's really no need to explore. However, once it gets good, it gets pretty damn good. I think it really picks up at the 3 hour mark (or whenever you head into Sector 3), and everything from Sector Z on is not only gold, but how crazy the game should've been from the start. The post-game was a lot of fun to run around and explore (unless I hit a Now Loading screen), and it was the part of the game that felt the most Metroidy. Still, it didn't make sense to be unable to 100% the game until after the credits just so you could defeat Phantoon.

On that note, boss fights were awesome in this game. It was kind of a who's who of Metroid bossfights. Ridley from Metroid, Metroid Queen from Metroid II, Phantoon from Super Metroid, and Nightmare from Metroid Fusion? Awesome. And that's not to mention all the other new bosses and minibosses along the way. I think my favorites though were Ridley and Phantoon. Both really made excellent use of the sensemove and charged blast technique, and both had some truly badass finishers. Firing the gun under Ridley's mouth without looking at him is one of my favorite images of the game. Actually, I think the boss fights were the highlight of the game. It's where the combat and 3D style made the most sense.

Overall, I would have preferred a more traditional Metroid. I don't think we'll get one on the 3DS, considering this game is already 3D and how everyone at Nintendo is into making everything a 3D game on that machine, but we'll see. It's not boring like Metroid Prime, but it also lacks some of Prime's positive aspects, like its music, reward system, and overall art direction (I appreciated the realistic looking Samus of that first Prime, and the overall look and feel of that "virtually lifeless planet"). It's kind of a mishmash of ideas that could would probably become more polished and streamlined with a sequel. Nintendo also needs to get with the program and start letting players adjust music and sound effect settings if they're going to have their music so low. And let players skip cutscenes on the first try. Or maybe next time try working in the narrative in a more clever way than trying to follow in the footsteps of talented western developers pointed in the wrong direction.
score: 7/10

Snuggler said:
Yeah, they really are a bizarre decision. They aren't frequent enough to take away much from the game, but it's still enough to knock a point off. It would have made more sense if they combined them with the tank walking and you could just walk around a room and zoom in one suspicious areas to scan and investigate. Plus, they could give you actual hints of what you're looking for. But just standing there and staring at the screen isn't fun. Finding the subject is usually a matter of luck.
Or they could just take it out entirely, either way would be better.
Game is still awesome, though.
It should've been automated. I would've been okay with it.

I'll be interested to see how our rants stack up after I beat the game Ani. For now, I must avert my eyes though. Thank goodness I caved in and got Other M at a brick and mortar retailer. I would have shriveled up and died trying to avoid GAF while Amazon took two weeks to deliver the damn thing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The pacing is a lot better than Metroid Prime, and that was my main issue with the Prime games. They all moved so god damn slow. Instead of seeing a door across the room and seeing that door slowly getting bigger until I'm right in front of it so I can shoot it and go through, I can just speedboost the fuck straight through them. The only trade off is that the game has to load so much shit that I found the "Now Loading" screen pop up all over the place especially in the post-game. I saw Now Loading happen as Samus was wall-kicking, running, and once, just standing in a single position. Really frustrating.

This is one thing I've liked about Other M, the pacing. There hasn't been a dull moment yet. I like that each room is "bite sized", you can deal with a group enemies and possibly spend time searching or doing an extra platforming part to find a power up but each area can be cleared in a brief amount of time. I only played the first Prime and I liked it, but I got little bored at times. I like it in Other M because I feel like I'm always moving forward and always making progress.

I agree with most of your other points 'cept I liked the weird place between 2D and 3D that the game plays in. It mostly controls like a 2D game, you're usually just going right, left or up but you always can break out of that plane and explore the areas. It might have controlled a little better if it was pure 2D but a lot of the fun of searching rooms for morph ball holes and secrets would be lost without being able to get off the "rails" and move freely. It's something I always wanted to do when 2D games were the only kind of game and I appreciate the design decision. But it's worth noting that I like to use just the wiimote for some sick reason, I enjoyed it in NSMW and when I'm playing VC games, it fits in my hands nicely.

jman2050

Regarding the whole thing with analog control, for what it's worth, I never ever did get perfectly used to moving in 3D space with the thing. Even with the fantastic Mario game moving with an analog stick was always mildly unwieldy (one reason the spin jump in Mario Galaxy was such a godsend). For some reason most of those problems seem to disappear in this game just going DPad only. I think all in all they did a damn good job applying digital movement to 3D space and making it seem natural and not too prone to mistakes. One minor detail that I don't think I've seen mentioned is how for most platforms Samus can't actually FALL off them, she has to actually be jumping to get off the platform. That simple little convention does a surprisingly good job eliminating a lot of the precision problems that may come from trying to jump around in 3D space, and the game was all the better for it.

farnham

Banned
So how is the marketing compared to Metroid Prime 3 Corruption

i remember that Nintendo did nothing for that game (but it still did pretty well considering)

farnham

Banned
AniHawk said:
I WARNED YA. DIDN'T I WARN YA?

So 100% in 12 hours. There will be spoilers in this post so watch out.

This is a game where I'd love to know more about the behind the scenes. A lot of the decisions made feel like they were done for a 2D game early on, and couldn't really change it too much later on when it came down to the switch to the 3D game. I remember an interview where Sakamoto had said the guys at Team Ninja convinced him that a sorta-3D world would work better. This is where I think the problems with the controls come in. Analog control with the Wii, especially with Nintendo's octagonal sticks, might have served their purpose, but Samus would probably still control too rigidly to do certain things easily (like the speedboost and shinespark). Meaning, if you accidentally tilted your thumb on the stick, you'd lose that momentum immediately and have to start over. This is harder to do on a d-pad. If the game was just 2D like Sakamoto originally intended, then we also wouldn't have had to use just the remote for first-person controls either, and it would probably be a toggle for missiles on and off with the B or minus button or something.

There are a lot of people ragging on the story, and it deserves it. It's poorly written and it kinda doesn't make sense (the fuck happened with the Deleter subplot? Wouldn't it be Anthony? I thought we found every corpse except for KG's and that could've been because one was tossed into lava). However, I think the three main voice actors did a good job despite their shitty script and direction. Samus's actor in particular had extremely little to work with, but she managed to keep it in the realm of "B-video game movie story" like Resident Evil 4. Adam's and Anthony's did a good job too considering what they had. Everyone else was kinda hit and miss.

So, there are a lot of people ragging on the story, and it deserves it, but I keep seeing the argument made that Nintendo's catching up to other companies or they haven't had experience with cinematic games before, and those are both true. However, who gives a shit? Why do we need a story? One told like this? How can someone really focus on sexism or a government conspiracy or a woman following orders when there are actually cutscenes in a Metroid game to begin with? Way to miss the point, guys. Here's the real problem with the story in this game: It forces realism on a video game world. Instead of Samus finding random-ass powers (she only finds one) that make her stronger, faster, better than before, they're unlocked thanks to Adam's authorization (for about 90% of the time). Adam's authorization isn't a bad thing on its own. Actually, in a situation where you don't know what's going on, it makes sense not to use your most powerful shit from the start. It's kinda reminiscent of Aliens when the soldiers were told not to use any guns right before their first encounter with the Xenomorphs. The real problem is this: it takes away accomplishment from the player. Finding upgrades in Metroid is one of those great feelings because usually it comes after some feat of skill or some level of thinking required to get past a certain obstacle. It's a reward, and its effects are usually immediately put to use to get out of the place you just arrived in (so you know how to use it). In Metroid Fusion, this was kinda replaced by boss battles (from what I can remember), but it still had the same idea. In Other M, that feeling of accomplishment is gone, because we know Samus is super badass (and by extension so are we), but we can't do anything super badass because The Story Said So.

And I think the story was probably the other reason for the shift to a 3D world. I don't know all the details, and I'd love to know the real reason for it, but I think part of the convincing happened in part that it would be easier to transition to a cutscene if the game wasn't in 2D. It certainly seems like part of the reason the game looks like it does, and the transitions to and from cutscenes are mostly really smooth and well done. It's kind of a Japanese Uncharted 2 in that respect.

Despite my problems with the story, I did have a good time. My only issues with the controls throughout were how sore it made my thumb on my left hand, and the super missile/seeker missile on the final story boss (well, I guess before you actually start fighting the final story boss). Otherwise, the totally bizarre control scheme worked for me. It was nice to have Samus's arsenal back, and that feeling of being super powerful, especially the screw attack, which was killing minibosses left and right. I think the control scheme went a little too far with the motion control stuff in replenishing health and getting missiles. I like the idea that they could be done in an emergency, but they both should have been done in an emergency, so that you get only how many e-reserve tanks you have and only 20% of your total missile count each time (and only when you're low on either one). Everything else should have been items and health found for killing enemies. It would make the kills more satisfying since you would get something you need out of them.

Music was nice in parts. Wish they'd've gone the Metroid Prime route and had some great music to every section. I mean, there are certain parts that are completely impossible to fuck up, like whenever the Ridley/Escape theme plays, but it was a little too quiet for a lot of the time, and the music seemed to only want to stand out during fights and cutscenes, probably to give those more weight. The only other piece I remember standing out as cool I think happened as Samus was tracking down Melissa for the first time, or maybe it was before El Pollo Loco attacked all the Federation. I'm somewhat sure it was a slow walking segment, but it had this cool, low ambient beat. There was also one piece that sounded like it was from the first Alien film, but I can't remember where that took place. Either Sector 1 or post-credits Sector 3. I wish there was more of that.

The pacing is a lot better than Metroid Prime, and that was my main issue with the Prime games. They all moved so god damn slow. Instead of seeing a door across the room and seeing that door slowly getting bigger until I'm right in front of it so I can shoot it and go through, I can just speedboost the fuck straight through them. The only trade off is that the game has to load so much shit that I found the "Now Loading" screen pop up all over the place especially in the post-game. I saw Now Loading happen as Samus was wall-kicking, running, and once, just standing in a single position. Really frustrating. The game kinda takes its sweet time to do anything interesting too. Unless you're going for extra items, there's really no need to explore. However, once it gets good, it gets pretty damn good. I think it really picks up at the 3 hour mark (or whenever you head into Sector 3), and everything from Sector Z on is not only gold, but how crazy the game should've been from the start. The post-game was a lot of fun to run around and explore (unless I hit a Now Loading screen), and it was the part of the game that felt the most Metroidy. Still, it didn't make sense to be unable to 100% the game until after the credits just so you could defeat Phantoon.

On that note, boss fights were awesome in this game. It was kind of a who's who of Metroid bossfights. Ridley from Metroid, Metroid Queen from Metroid II, Phantoon from Super Metroid, and Nightmare from Metroid Fusion? Awesome. And that's not to mention all the other new bosses and minibosses along the way. I think my favorites though were Ridley and Phantoon. Both really made excellent use of the sensemove and charged blast technique, and both had some truly badass finishers. Firing the gun under Ridley's mouth without looking at him is one of my favorite images of the game. Actually, I think the boss fights were the highlight of the game. It's where the combat and 3D style made the most sense.

Overall, I would have preferred a more traditional Metroid. I don't think we'll get one on the 3DS, considering this game is already 3D and how everyone at Nintendo is into making everything a 3D game on that machine, but we'll see. It's not boring like Metroid Prime, but it also lacks some of Prime's positive aspects, like its music, reward system, and overall art direction (I appreciated the realistic looking Samus of that first Prime, and the overall look and feel of that "virtually lifeless planet"). It's kind of a mishmash of ideas that could would probably become more polished and streamlined with a sequel. Nintendo also needs to get with the program and start letting players adjust music and sound effect settings if they're going to have their music so low. And let players skip cutscenes on the first try. Or maybe next time try working in the narrative in a more clever way than trying to follow in the footsteps of talented western developers pointed in the wrong direction.
score: 7/10

Ani, have you abandoned your Metroid Prime hating gimmick ?

Boney

Banned
jman2050 said:
Regarding the whole thing with analog control, for what it's worth, I never ever did get perfectly used to moving in 3D space with the thing. Even with the fantastic Mario game moving with an analog stick was always mildly unwieldy (one reason the spin jump in Mario Galaxy was such a godsend). For some reason most of those problems seem to disappear in this game just going DPad only. I think all in all they did a damn good job applying digital movement to 3D space and making it seem natural and not too prone to mistakes. One minor detail that I don't think I've seen mentioned is how for most platforms Samus can't actually FALL off them, she has to actually be jumping to get off the platform. That simple little convention does a surprisingly good job eliminating a lot of the precision problems that may come from trying to jump around in 3D space, and the game was all the better for it.
Someone wanted to take that off here...

Poyunch

Final thoughts with SPOILERS:

The game really feels great in the post-game sequence. It's like the developers were apologizing for what they did for the main game. :lol

Not that I didn't enjoy Other M. It's true the story-telling impeded the way the game felt. It did however do things Prime couldn't. The Prime games were extremely slow. You moved like a tank and fights dragged and slowed the progression. The animations and controls highlight the smooth, fast-paced nature of Other M which opposes the slow and clunky, yet methodical gameplay of the Prime trilogy.

That's really what stands out about Other M. It's so direct. It may hinder the dialogue and story by but it really compliments the gameplay.

Boy the combat mechanics are nearly flawless, if you play it right. The new gameplay features are extremely important in this game. The sense move, concentration, and the finishers are extremely important if you want a smooth experience. It feels like some people are relying too heavily on established gameplay habits. Like not taking advantage of the sense move and instead running around charging a beam as well as using missiles way more then I ever thought was necessary.

Everything else though outside of the main gameplay mechanics are atrocious. The "Where's Waldo/Wally?" and over-the-shoulder moments clash so much with the speedy nature of the game. Heck the last trial of this game isn't even a bossfight but another forced first-person puzzle. The twist being that it's injected with steroids.

Level design was okay. There are very few memorable areas and I think most of the time I got lost not due to intricate level design but due to boring, indistinguishable level design.

The music makes me sad. Nothing but ambient tracks. Not even the musical them when getting powerups. It's not a big deal for me but the Metroid series has an awesome history of music and the lack of such a thing in this game just makes Other M less stellar.

Anyway I'm rambling like Samus. Back to the post-game sequence. It's perfect. Like I said before the story really does hinder the gameplay. With no real objectives holding you back, you're free to do whatever you please. The lack of direction finally returns. It's true Metroid. You even get an escape sequence which was pretty cool especially since they make use of Zero Suit Samus and her paralyzer.

Also it features the best boss of this game. Phantoon. It makes great use of your skills and toolset. I found most of the bosses of Other M really simplistic in attack pattern and test of skill. I think the only good bossfight in the maingame is Nightmare. It's really disappointing too that the Queen Metroid was just fanservice and nothing more.

Like I said before it's a solid 8. I'd love for Nintendo to try and stick with this Metroid formula and try to buff and polish out the game's kinks.

Penguin

Another minor thing, the beams are so purdy. :lol

They just look so nice and when the enemies explode in a rain of purple goo and flashing lights.

Poyunch

One thing interesting about the (major spoilers)
Phantoon boss
. I fought it twice because I decided to reset the game so that I could have another save file so that I could play it again. The first time I saw a health bar eventually and finished it off with a satisfying
Power Bomb
. For some reason it didn't appear the second time I fought it and I killed it with a finisher. I found that weird.

AniHawk

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I'd take Other M over Corruption as a Metroid game honestly. I even think the story is better. For real.

Other M's art direction and story (well, voice acting) are waaaaaaaaaay better than Corruption's, but I thought Corruption got the closest to the Super Metroid feel in 3D. Also, pacing was good, and a lot of my issues with Other M weren't an issue in Corruption. Namely, exploration rocked, even if the load times thanks to backtracking sucked ass.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Crunched said:
I think it's the surprise at seeing him there when she didn't expect him. Anyway, this point more than any other has been argued to death in this thread. I for one picked up on it being Ridley after seeing the wolf-lizard form that looked pretty much like Ridley's retarded cousin and learning it had hatched from what I at first thought was some kind of mutant Etecoon.

The weird thing is, when I first saw that cut scene out of context, I'll readily admit it seemed hard to swallow. Seeing it in the game itself, I somehow didn't have a problem with it. After some thought, here's my take: as the players, we are entirely used to the trope that Ridley is Unkillable Enemy Boss Prime who just shows up every time, and it's expected. There can be no "shock" or horror when Ridley shows up; he's an old friend at this point.

But in context of the story itself, when Samus sees Ridley show up suddenly in the Bottle Ship, from her perspective "the horror was over". She'd killed Ridley then blown up the god damned planet his corpse was on. The space pirates were all dead so nobody existed to look for Ridley mark 10 or clone him, or whatever the f**k. So suddenly, the damn monster shows up again, one more time - and even if her reaction wasn't fearful panic, in no version of this story would she have acted bland about it.

It would be unrealistic if Samus didn't stop and ask "WTF is this shit" and suffer some degree of confusion and shock. Remember people - we're used to seeing Samus as a sprite in side scrolling Metroids where there is no incident made of massive events, such as a huge boss rocking up, Ridley returning from the dead, etc. The little sprite just starts shooting no matter what strange thing just happened. But in a realistically rendered and fleshed out story, there'd have to be accounting for the fact that your mortal enemy and literal personal demon jumps out of a hole on the other side of the galaxy after you blew him up.

Boney

Banned
jman2050 said:
someone said it was bullshit and bad controls :S

Oh and, copied my brother's file and started again. Sometimes when you do fatal strikes, rainbows come out of the ice! So pretty!

AniHawk said:
Other M's art direction and story (well, voice acting) are waaaaaaaaaay better than Corruption's, but I thought Corruption got the closest to the Super Metroid feel in 3D. Also, pacing was good, and a lot of my issues with Other M weren't an issue in Corruption. Namely, exploration rocked, even if the load times thanks to backtracking sucked ass.
Only the visual design of the environments imo (which was fantastic). The gameplay was perhaps the farthest flung of the entire series, save for Hunters and Pinball.

Anihawk said:
Actually, I think the boss fights were the highlight of the game. It's where the combat and 3D style made the most sense.

No doubt. It's one of the biggest reasons I keep replaying this game, although
no Phantoon in hard mode makes me sad.

And not to toot my own horn again, but these boss battles I recorded are by far some of my faves, especially the ones in hard mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuPMcdmwUV0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpBn4zHEP1g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4hhCT9L5Xg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM9FSZ9mm-I

The boss battles made the most sense in this game and I would want more of this from a future Metroid game.

Boney said:
someone said it was bullshit and bad controls :S

Oh and, copied my brother's file and started again. Sometimes when you do fatal strikes, rainbows come out of the ice! So pretty!

Double rainbows?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah the boss battles have been consistently good so far.

The
battle mech is still my fave but I haven't seen Ripley yet
. T'was an awesome fight, I knew it was coming as soon as it showed up in the cutscene and the battle was as intense as I hoped. I felt like such a badass taking it down.

On a sad night, I'll probably end up beating the game tonight. But I really do look forward to having all my toys so I can just wander through the facility and track down all the power ups. I'm going for 100% for sure.

by the how, where the hell do I find my completion percentage?

Snuggler said:
Yeah the boss battles have been consistently good so far.

The
battle mech is still my fave but I haven't seen Ripley yet
LOL, every time I see you post that, I keep thinking this:

aliens-ripley-powerloader_1193711350.jpg

:lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I was thinking of that scene as well. It's pretty much the same thing 'cept it ends a little differently.

I'll add my question to this point since it got suck in 2nd to last post of last page:

by the how, where the hell do I find my completion percentage? The only stat I can find it total playtime and that's in the save file when you boot it up.
I need my stats. I love stats. :(

AniHawk

donkey show said:
No doubt. It's one of the biggest reasons I keep replaying this game, although
no Phantoon in hard mode makes me sad.

And not to toot my own horn again, but these boss battles I recorded are by far some of my faves, especially the ones in hard mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuPMcdmwUV0

I love that he gets on all fours to stalk you. Pretty damn menacing. Totally didn't see the tail stabs either since I was just sensemoving ALL THE TIME.

So awesome.

Hiltz

The more I play Other M, the more I like it.

It's been a while since I've played a hard game (that wasn't on hard mode). The enemies certainly put up a good fight.

Not much of the story has been revealed yet but I've been enjoying it, particularly with the
cute fuzzy creature freak transformation
if you know what I mean. Still not a fan of the over the shoulder sections, especially the last one which was kind of long and dull due to how slow Samus's walks.

PounchEnvy said:
One thing interesting about the (major spoilers)
Phantoon boss
. I fought it twice because I decided to reset the game so that I could have another save file so that I could play it again. The first time I saw a health bar eventually and finished it off with a satisfying
Power Bomb
. For some reason it didn't appear the second time I fought it and I killed it with a finisher. I found that weird.

The health meters only appear if you lock-on to the boss in first person mode.

Bizzyb

Banned
Straight up BULLSHIT. I'm Stuck in Sector 1!

Just got the
Diffusion Beam

WTF Man??

and I know Where to go because the map shows me but they won't let me get there and this holograph system is confusing and pissing me off

Poyunch

RPG_Fanatic said:
The health meters only appear if you lock-on to the boss in first person mode.
Yeah I sort of figured that out later but I didn't bother posting it because I didn't think anyone would care. :p

AniHawk said:
I love that he gets on all fours to stalk you. Pretty damn menacing. Totally didn't see the tail stabs either since I was just sensemoving ALL THE TIME.

So awesome.
Team Ninja did an amazing job with the animations of pretty much everything in the game. So good.

MechaX

donkey show said:
LOL, every time I see you post that, I keep thinking this:

aliens-ripley-powerloader_1193711350.jpg

:lol

Good timing, actually.
I just got to that boss. The way she rescued that scientist, hell, this is the Samus I'm talking about. But then she starts narrating on shit that just happened and when she reaches the "There's a traitor in the group" she... doesn't bring that up to Adam? With like, two of your 6 man team dead and one being a traitor Samus doesn't... think that's important to bring up in the slightest? Yet Adam is still harping on this bird creature that I literally have not seen or heard of in the past two hours?
Always one step forward, one step back with these scenes. I should keep going but I really need to do some studying.

So far, pretty fun stuff. Any platforming involving diagonals is absolutely terrible and those crazy monkey things are pretty... irritating. Especially when you have to shinespark to the platform its on, fight it, accidentally knock it off the platform, kill it only to have another one appear/the door doesn't open, speed boost back to the previous room, and speedboost+shinespark back to fight another monkey to get the door to open.

Just saw that live action commercial on TV for this game, don't have a Wii or anything (though I wish I did for times like these), anyway just wanted to say it was badass shit.

AniHawk

MechaX said:
Good timing, actually.
I just got to that boss. The way she rescued that scientist, hell, this is the Samus I'm talking about. But then she starts narrating on shit that just happened and when she reaches the "There's a traitor in the group" she... doesn't bring that up to Adam? With like, two of your 6 man team dead and one being a traitor Samus doesn't... think that's important to bring up in the slightest? Yet Adam is still harping on this bird creature that I literally have not seen or heard of in the past two hours?
Always one step forward, one step back with these scenes. I should keep going but I really need to do some studying.

Adam sees everything Samus sees. There's no need to bring it up.

Boney

Banned
MechaX said:
Good timing, actually.
Always one step forward, one step back with these scenes.
Adam could be the traitor as well..

MechaX

AniHawk said:
Adam sees everything Samus sees. There's no need to bring it up.

Even if that was the case, he didn't have... any reaction to this news? Any reasonable person would have been like "How could that be?" or something like that. Instead, he's just
SAMUS FIND THIS FURRY BIRD CREATURE FROM TWO HOURS AGO NOOOOOOWWWW

Bizzyb

Banned
Are you fucking kidding me!?? I had to power bomb some random ass spot in the wall!?? No hint other than some wonky looking VR shit that I thought was for aesthetics.

I'm done. Fuck this game. I'm too tired and pissed to play anymore. Maybe later this weekend.

Weak.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Question: how do I get the accel. charge from the bathroom stall?

[/confused]

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dan said:
Question: how do I get the accel. charge from the bathroom stall?

[/confused]

No buttons required. I think it's like the terminals, you just stand by it for a moment and Metroid will just open the door on her own.

Top Bottom