• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Boney

Banned
Snuggler said:
Are you still stuck on the same spot? Maybe at this point you're better off just reseting the system and trying it again another way.
I'm gonna try cleaning the disc. I did reset it, but nothing happened. Killed all my momentum.

Tritroid

Crunched said:
Post-game question:
I am at 100% item completion, and there is a yellow diamond pointing me to the upstairs control room in the main sector. The place where Adam hung out most of the game, I think. I can't get to the room, though, because the elevators on both sides are disabled. I thought I'd have to do something dumb beforehand like pick up MB's hair pin (since Samus is making a big deal about reclaiming something that's "irreplaceable)," but I searched all the rooms in the Bioweapons Research section and still can't find it. Why aren't these elevators working?
You're not going to use that elevator to get to the control room, you have to go a really round-about way to get there. There's a Power Bomb door in the corridor right before you get into the room with the elevator shaft that doesn't work. Go through that door, and make sure you're ready for what's next. :lol

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Purely as a post game thought:

I wonder if for some (and to be honest, many) Other M will end up seeming a bit tame or sterile compared to the Prime games because Other M is a very lean game compared to the Prime trilogy. Prime is full of "stuff". Tons of stuff to scan. Logs to read. Mythology to dig up and sort through. Secret messages. And Retro's super lush, organic worlds are the apex predator when it comes to rich environments and creating worlds.

Part of the reason Other M is so lean is due to inherent concept of course - it is a throwback to 2D Metroid and a lot of the extra fiddly bits Prime introduced have been left out. In a sense, in comparison, Prime does feel more like a western adventure game, whereas Other M definitely feel all Japanese.

Calling to lean compared to Prime is a legitimate crit, now. Still, I do think that the pacing is better than most of each Prime game... and that I'm glad to be quit of Retro's biggest single design error, the 11th hour fetch quest around the entire game world.

KajunW

Infinite Bomb Jump applied to a Metroid: Other M room:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNlej3aSET4

Sequence breaking will probably not be as drastic in the game, thanks to the fact that
a) they put a height on vertical bomb jumping
b) Adam gives permission for using upgrades (some people have mentioned that this is no different from finding powerups on your own, but a big difference would be that finding things on your own makes sequence breaking more likely).

I'll be curious to see how fast this game can be completed.

heringer

MadOdorMachine said:
Take it as you want, but the fact of the matter is, people are giving this game bonus points because it's a Metroid game. There have been more than enough complaints made to justify my thinking. I stand by G4's review in that this is a good, but flawed game. People claiming it's a masterpiece just re-iterate my point. How can anyone objectively say this is a masterpiece? They can't unless they have blinders on. Anyway, to each his own. I'm about to start the game over on hard mode. :D
Yeah, because that's what G4 said of Other M, "good but flawed game". :lol

Also, I think it might be the other way around. Maybe some people are being too hard on the game precisely because it's a Metroid game. I read far too many times people saying "yeah, it's a great game but not a good Metroid". People are judging the game with sky high standards (though that's not their fault, since the franchise set the bar really high).

I mean, just look at how the quality of the story was blown out of proportion. RE4's story was terrible and had far more dumb moments than Other M and that didn't stopped a lot of people (including me) from calling it one of the best games ever made.

Even you already said it's a "good but flawed game" yet can't stop shitting on it, to the point of saying you completely stand by G4's review when they clearly don't think it's a good game at all. Why is that? Well, because it's a fucking Metroid game.

Tritroid

heringer said:
Even you already said it's a "good but flawed game" yet can't stop shitting on it, to the point of saying you completely stand by G4's review, when they clearly don't think it's a good game at all. Why is that?
...Because it's G4.

MechaX

GrotesqueBeauty said:
It struck me as I watched the first few scenes how much better they would be without the inner monologue.

Pretty much my same thoughts after I got to a certain section 3 or so hours into the game (followed by a painfully long over-the-shoulder sequence with mind-meltingly long hallways, but that's another subject). Basically,
it was when the troops got back together and were trying to salvage data from the main computer. Turned out that the GFed was experimenting with bioweapons. Samus adds in that bioweapons are banned from Galactic Federation research with an actually well-delivered sense of urgency, and shit kinda got a little serious.
That is, until Samus went in a two-minute monologue about
how she hates bioweapons and about how Adam hates bioweapons and about how bioweapons are baddddddd.

It was at that point that I face-palmed due to the fact that this scene was actually holding my interest until Samus's inner monologue had to screw everything up with over-exposition about stuff she just told me about or stuff I don't care about.

Hiltz said:
I gotta say, Other M feels way harder in terms of difficulty than the Prime games. However, I've only played 1 and 3.

In my opinion, Other M is leagues harder than Prime 1 and 2. But good God, Prime 2 still trumps it in terms of difficulty.

Hiltz

I Just beat the major boss in the pyrosphere. He cleaned my clock the first time due to not paying enough attention to his movements. I still don't understand why Sakamoto and crew didn't consider shaving off a few seconds to use the concentrate move. It's just almost impossible to do in the heat of battle. What's even worse is that it doesn't let you keep what you've already charged up health-wise if you happen to get interrupted by an enemy attack during the process. It Instead forces you to do it all over again until the move is fully complete. Ya, hard to do when you've got multiple Space Pirates on your ass!

I gotta say, Other M feels way harder in terms of difficulty than the Prime games. However, I've only played 1 and 3.

Another thing I miss from the other Metroid games is being able to slightly charge up your power beam and release it. In Other M, you can only fully charge it all the way. It's all or nothing.

Sakamoto and crew should have also trimmed some of the fat off the monologue. Samus seems to have a bad habit of rambling on. Keep it brief, Samus.

KajunW said:
Infinite Bomb Jump applied to a Metroid: Other M room:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNlej3aSET4

Sequence breaking will probably not be as drastic in the game, thanks to the fact that
a) they put a height on vertical bomb jumping
b) Adam gives permission for using upgrades (some people have mentioned that this is no different from finding powerups on your own, but a big difference would be that finding things on your own makes sequence breaking more likely).

I'll be curious to see how fast this game can be completed.
I've beat it on hard mode in 4:17. I think Osuwari beat hard mode in 3:47 or something like that.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
heringer said:
Yeah, because that's what G4 said of Other M, "good but flawed game". :lol

Also, I think it might be the other way around. Maybe some people are being too hard on the game precisely because it's a Metroid game. I read far too many times people saying "yeah, it's a great game but not a good Metroid". People are judging the game with sky high standards (though that's not their fault, since the franchise set the bar really high).

I mean, just look at how the quality of the story was blown out of proportion. RE4's story was terrible and had far more dumb moments than Other M and that didn't stopped a lot of people (including me) from calling it one of the best games ever made.

Even you already said it's a "good but flawed game" yet can't stop shitting on it, to the point of saying you completely stand by G4's review when they clearly don't think it's a good game at all. Why is that? Well, because it's a fucking Metroid game.
There are people being too harsh on it because it's Metroid as well. Hence the whole "objectivity" of an opinion and trying to look at the game for what it is. As far as G4 is concerned, I was mainly talking about the feedback session and the comments made there. I agree with 100% of everything they said. They nailed it by saying it's a good but flawed game. You say I'm shitting on it, but I've said over and over again how great the game is while you're in third person. Unfortunately it takes a while to get to that point in the game.

It's funny that people are comparing this to Star Fox: Assault and RE4. They are both great examples of what works and what didn't work. Like Other M, both titles changed the way the game was played, but one has been praised and the other shunned. Personally, I think Other M falls into the Star Fox camp. I would like to see a sequel to both games where they fixed the controls because they had some good ideas, they were just poorly implemented.

Playing through this game reminds me of DMC4...but if the guns did more damage.

I get the same feelings playing. It pisses me off at times but yet I love it. It even has you re-fighting bosses...like 3 times. If I see that damn treenosuar again I will scream. It's not even hard to beat just tedious.

now those lightning monkey aliens...I just run past them if I can...fuck them.

It does take me back to the 8-16 bit day in which I would rage and yet continue to play.

also lol at "the DELETER!!!!"...like really that's the best she could come up with?

Salsa

Btw, how was i supposed to know that i had to
drop a power bomb inside the Queen Metroid´s belly when i didnt even know i could use them by then ?
. Thankfully ive played Metroid II and i just knew, but for someone who has no idea, that can be kinda stupid with no indication..

boiled goose

good with gravy
updated impressions on controls:

transition to first person = flawless
dpad controls = fine except for over the shoulder worthless parts
automatic aiming = not great, but not terrible.

hold B to look = stupid and unnecessary

nunchuck would still be superior

Hiltz said:
Sakamoto and crew should have also trimmed some of the fat off the monologue. Samus seems to have a bad habit of rambling on. Keep it brief, Samus.
Maybe they should've have had most of her monologue going when you were playing normally as it would cut down on the mundane cg and completely remove the over the shoulder sections.

For the people having the dual layer disc problem, I managed to get my hands on one of the Wii cleaning discs and it did absolutely nothing. Damn thing still won't read it. Bummer. :(

Knux-Future said:
It even has you re-fighting bosses...like 3 times. If I see that damn treenosuar again I will scream. It's not even hard to beat just tedious.

Pretty sure those are just mini-bosses or even just super strong enemies since the major bosses have life bars.

Metroid

Anybody who can help me?
How do it get to the item in the hangar room and to the item in the "last" room (the one on the bottom right) in sector 1, biosphere? Was trying for 2 hours now...

JohngPR

MechaX said:
In my opinion, Other M is leagues harder than Prime 1 and 2. But good God, Prime 2 still trumps it in terms of difficulty.

This was a Rick James "I wouldn't just grind my feet on someone's couch....yea I grinded my feet all over his couch" type of comment.

:lol

Poyunch

I need help getting to the glass tube in Sector 3. I hate that place. I got lost the first time when looking for some stuff and now I need to go there again I don't know how I got there the other two times. I sometimes hate how vague the map is in this game.

donkey show said:
This shouldn't matter, but have you tried killing everything in that section?

I went to that area below, there were some lava guys there. I killed them all before exploring above, maybe this will work but i doubt it.

Boney

Banned
donkey show said:
This shouldn't matter, but have you tried killing everything in that section?
Yeah the lava dudes and the Evil Joe clone...
I was having such a good time and I gotta return it on Sunday :mad:

Gilby

amtentori said:
updated impressions on controls:

transition to first person = flawless
dpad controls = fine except for over the shoulder worthless parts
automatic aiming = not great, but not terrible.

hold B to look = stupid and unnecessary

nunchuck would still be superior

I still can not find a reason why they didn't include the nunchuk. Do games that just use the wiimote tend to sell better or something?

Red

Tritroid said:
You're not going to use that elevator to get to the control room, you have to go a really round-about way to get there. There's a Power Bomb door in the corridor right before you get into the room with the elevator shaft that doesn't work. Go through that door, and make sure you're ready for what's next. :lol
Which elevator? I already went through a power bomb door near the short elevator and fought through a room with a big tower and lots of kihunters that connected to sector 2. Is there another power bomb door that I am missing?

Boney said:
Yeah the lava dudes and the Evil Joe clone...
I was having such a good time and I gotta return it on Sunday :mad:

Were you doing extra backtracking for items? Maybe you hit a terminal you weren't supposed to or something.

But most likely its a screw up in the game though. :(

etiolate

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Btw, how was i supposed to know that i had to
drop a power bomb inside the Queen Metroid´s belly when i didnt even know i could use them by then ?
. Thankfully ive played Metroid II and i just knew, but for someone who has no idea, that can be kinda stupid with no indication..

I had never beaten
Metroid 2
and so did not have previous experience with the fight. The first time I got to that point, I died. Then I thought about some stuff I heard and the game's total lack of consistent logic and said "fuck it, lets see if they let me."

MechaX

JohngPR said:
This was a Rick James "I wouldn't just grind my feet on someone's couch....yea I grinded my feet all over his couch" type of comment.

:lol

You caught my mistake and forced me to rewatch the entire Rick James segment. Thanks a lot, buddy.

Zomba13

gogojira said:
The outright horror of seeing Ridley, a beast she's killed countless times by the time Other M happens, is simply unbelievable.
Oh god that part. Up until that part I sort of understood how people could be annoyed with what's been done with Samus as a character but I could ignore it to a degree. That moment however just made me ignore everything else they did with 'Samus'. It's not Samus in this game. I refuse to believe it's the same Samus that has blown up several planets and eradicated a deadly alien race. I refuse to believe that
she freezes with fear at a monster she has fought and killed countless times, sometimes even made out of METAL. I would understand if it was the first time she was out on her own, bounty hunting and met ridley and remembered what he did to her parents but at this point in time?

Boney said:
It does, but after backtracking a bit, you reach a dead end.

Hmm. I know that the area that door takes you to is one you have been to before, its just a shortcut. Look at the video, after he goes through the door and down the hallway he falls down from a top ledge to a hallway below, that area I believe you visit earlier in the game. So if it was possible to backtrack you can get back to that point.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Okay, I'm completely stumped.

I just beat that stupid boss thing where you have to shoot it's tail until Anthony saves your ass. Then Lyle is down, and I'm supposed to look at.... something. I can't figure out WHAT though. I've been looking for (looks at watch) about 15 minutes now. Help?

Metroid

RurouniZel said:
Okay, I'm completely stumped.

I just beat that stupid boss thing where you have to shoot it's tail until Anthony saves your ass. Then Lyle is down, and I'm supposed to look at.... something. I can't figure out WHAT though. I've been looking for (looks at watch) about 15 minutes now. Help?

the green ooze behind you one the ground, in front of the car

Poyunch

Metroid said:
Anybody who can help me?
How do it get to the item in the hangar room and to the item in the "last" room (the one on the bottom right) in sector 1, biosphere? Was trying for 2 hours now...
Yeah that gave me a hard time.
Go to the curved room. Go all the way to the left of the room. Speed boost from the north to the south.

Red

Zomba13 said:
Oh god that part. Up until that part I sort of understood how people could be annoyed with what's been done with Samus as a character but I could ignore it to a degree. That moment however just made me ignore everything else they did with 'Samus'. It's not Samus in this game. I refuse to believe it's the same Samus that has blown up several planets and eradicated a deadly alien race. I refuse to believe that
she freezes with fear at a monster she has fought and killed countless times, sometimes even made out of METAL. I would understand if it was the first time she was out on her own, bounty hunting and met ridley and remembered what he did to her parents but at this point in time?
I think it's the surprise at seeing him there when she didn't expect him. Anyway, this point more than any other has been argued to death in this thread. I for one picked up on it being Ridley after seeing the wolf-lizard form that looked pretty much like Ridley's retarded cousin and learning it had hatched from what I at first thought was some kind of mutant Etecoon.

Also, post-post game:
Phantoon was a damn good fight. Why was he there? I don't give a shit. Fun times, wish there were more battles that made my thumb as raw sense-dodging.

Gilby said:
I still can not find a reason why they didn't include the nunchuk.
259ec76.gif

Because he didn't want it in. =P

Boney

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
Hmm. I know that the area that door takes you to is one you have been to before, its just a shortcut. Look at the video, after he goes through the door and down the hallway he falls down from a top ledge to a hallway below, that area I believe you visit earlier in the game. So if it was possible to backtrack you can get back to that point.
Yeah I noticed, but I can't do a thing..

Top Bottom