• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

jman2050

Bizzyb said:
Are you fucking kidding me!?? I had to power bomb some random ass spot in the wall!?? No hint other than some wonky looking VR shit that I thought was for aesthetics.

I'm done. Fuck this game. I'm too tired and pissed to play anymore. Maybe later this weekend.

Weak.

I obviously haven't gotten this far in the game (not having power bombs) but it didn't register with you when they did that the first time in sector 1?

Sounds like the game isn't the problem...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I've been eying the power bombs spots since early the game. I usually don't miss stuff like that since I like to scan/search everything in the rooms.
I still waiting for daddy to authorize that shit.

Phenomic

So I finished the game and I need one more Missie Expansion and was wondering if anyone could help me get it.

Missile expansion is in the room you start the game on. It's in Main Sector and the one it's the one Samus lands her gunship on. The other side of the door is blocked by an orange glowing door and I can't find a way to unlock it. Yeah somehow I managed to make the last item I get the first room in the game.:lol

Poyunch

Phenomic said:
So I finished the game and I need one more Missie Expansion and was wondering if anyone could help me get it.

Missile expansion is in the room you start the game on. It's in Main Sector and the one it's the one Samus lands her gunship on. The other side of the door is blocked by an orange glowing door and I can't find a way to unlock it. Yeah somehow I managed to make the last item I get the first room in the game.:lol
There should be a morphball vent in a nearby room, I believe. It's one of the earliest upgrades I got.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Snuggler said:
No buttons required. I think it's like the terminals, you just stand by it for a moment and Samus will just open the door on her own.
Oy, thanks.

And fixed.

Boney

Banned
My god that Ridley reveal was so fucking gooooooood!!!!!

They guy killed me, for being careless, and I have one less tank than my other playthrough but my god, sooo goooooooooooood!!

Bizzyb

Banned
jman2050 said:
I obviously haven't gotten this far in the game (not having power bombs) but it didn't register with you when they did that the first time in sector 1?

Sounds like the game isn't the problem...

Opps, I meant the regular morph ball bomb. Not the massive kill everything in sight Power Bomb

I like the Prime games because they don't tell you exactly what to do but they really do make you feel accomplished when you figure something out. This game just expects you to know all kinds of new shit they made up and never even bother explaining.

Corruption i,s imo a better designed game.

Edit: Can you Motherfuckers SPOILER That shit. Not everyone has beaten the game twice. Is this your first time in a fucking Official Thread??

I'm Talking to YOU Boney.

Gravijah

Boney said:
My god that Ridley reveal was so fucking gooooooood!!!!!

They guy killed me, for being careless, and I have one less tank than my other playthrough but my god, sooo goooooooooooood!!
mark your gd shit

etiolate

Banned
AniHawk said:
Other M's art direction and story (well, voice acting) are waaaaaaaaaay better than Corruption's, but I thought Corruption got the closest to the Super Metroid feel in 3D. Also, pacing was good, and a lot of my issues with Other M weren't an issue in Corruption. Namely, exploration rocked, even if the load times thanks to backtracking sucked ass.

Woah. Explain this one. Other M's art is... well lazy. It's the 2d art designs put ito 3d without thought for the change it has on the visuals. The colors and models that looked good in 2d look wrong in 3d.

Poyunch

Gravijah said:
mark your gd shit
But that thing was in the first trailer released.

etiolate said:
Woah. Explain this one. Other M's art is... well lazy. It's the 2d art designs put ito 3d without thought for the change it has on the visuals. The colors and models that looked good in 2d look wrong in 3d.
Art preference is a matter of taste. I like how sleek and shiny everything is. Not saying either is better but nothing's wrong with Other M's art.

pelicansurf said:
who the fuck is the deleter and why don't I know who he is after beating the game/secret ending?

James Pierce, as he is the last one found dead. K. G. Misawa is the one seen being pushed into the lava pit.

Gravijah

PounchEnvy said:

Art preference is a matter of taste. I like how sleek and shiny everything is. Not saying either is better but nothing's wrong with Other M's art.

SIR I DON'T EVEN REMEMBER THAT TRAILER

Nabs

Bizzyb said:
Are you fucking kidding me!?? I had to power bomb some random ass spot in the wall!?? No hint other than some wonky looking VR shit that I thought was for aesthetics.

I'm done. Fuck this game. I'm too tired and pissed to play anymore. Maybe later this weekend.

Weak.

that's the only place i got stuck at. the rest of the game was pretty straight forward

Bizzyb

Banned
PounchEnvy said:

Art is a matter of taste. I like how sleek and shiny everything is. Not saying either is better but nothing's wrong with Other M's art.

And everyone here saw or remembers the first trailer? Right?

Even still, anything that has to do with story in ANY way needs to be Marked.

Poyunch

Gravijah said:
SIR I DON'T EVEN REMEMBER THAT TRAILER
So you didn't remember him!?!?! :O

Bizzyb said:
And everyone here saw or remembers the first trailer? Right?

Even still, anything that has to do with story in ANY way needs to be Marked.
I'm just saying it's not really a necessarily a spoiler if it's something that doesn't need to be revealed.

jjasper

Damn got spoiled but I had kind of figured that
the Metroid Queen was in the game
. Oh well no biggy.

Also I don't know why everyone gets stuck in that spot. If you turn on the holograph in the room there is a spot where there isn't a holograph indicating there is something wrong with the wall.

Played some more. In sector 2 now. I am really enjoying this after the disappointment that was Corruption. And it looks like they pulled out the fan service later in the game which I am looking forward to now.

AniHawk

etiolate said:

Have you seen the people in Metroid Prime 3? It's like Tron had a baby with Satan and it turned out the baby was the people in Metroid Prime 3.

Other M's mediocrity is streets ahead when you compare it to Corruption's shit.

etiolate

Banned
AniHawk said:
Have you seen the people in Metroid Prime 3? It's like Tron had a baby with Satan and it turned out the baby was the people in Metroid Prime 3.

Oh, the character designs. Those are bad. But give me Corruption's overall art design any day.

Poyunch

AniHawk said:

ealj4x.jpg

Phenomic

PounchEnvy said:
There should be a morphball vent in a nearby room, I believe. It's one of the earliest upgrades I got.

Follow up question about finding that upgrade.

There is one morph ball hole in the room next to the the short hallway that leads to the locked orange door. To access that I had to either Shinespark or use screw attack to jump on top of. Was that the one you were referring too? It led to a small room with no other outlets. I don't see any morph ball holes that would lead to the gunship room on that ledge. All I can see is what looks like an inactive red computer that I can't get too and of course I won't let me in the orange door.

Poyunch

Phenomic said:
Follow up question about finding that upgrade.

There is one morph ball hole in the room next to the the short hallway that leads to the locked orange door. To access that I had to either Shinespark or use screw attack to jump on top of. Was that the one you were referring too? It led to a small room with no other outlets. I don't see any morph ball holes that would lead to the gunship room on that ledge. All I can see is what looks like an inactive red computer that I can't get too and of course I won't let me in the orange door.
Remember the room with the broken glass? The sixth room not counting the landing site.

Phenomic

PounchEnvy said:
Remember the room with the broken glass? The sixth room not counting the landing site.

Ahh, found it thanks...,
that one was kind of far from the actual upgrade more so then most of them. Didn't even notice that vent at all despite me going in that room at least 10 times by now haha.

Alas, damn fun game and I would love to see a follow-up title.

Bizzyb

Banned
AniHawk said:

You mean the people who show up for all of 10 minutes?? Weak argument. Overall, Corruption looks better artistically than Other M . Other M looks good but the Art is indeed lacking. Geometry and textures are nowhere on the level of Corruptions.

AniHawk

Story question for those who have completed the game:
The fuck was the Deleter nonsense? Isn't it most likely Anthony or Adam since KG was probably the body that went into lava? Melissa could have been lying about a traitor, but then what happened with Adam looking over and the bullet being fired? So fucking dumb.

Threi

notag
Other M isn't that creative visually, that is for damn sure, and yes, Prime 3 shits all over it (and shits all over prime 1 as well, 2 is debatable, IMO they tried a little too hard to make everything alien though)

Character models are pretty much all Other M though. Real reeeeeal nice. Samus' suit is just so damn detailed :D

I was thinking about it, and I love how streamlined the mechanics in Other M are. Press the button to shoot, charge the button to do a super shot.
press the button in morphball mode to lay a bomb, hold the button to lay a super bomb. press the button in FP mode to shoot a missle, hold the button to shoot a super missle.
nice and straightforward, something I appreciate over pushing different combinations of buttons. More complex definitely doesn't equal better, many times it's the opposite.

one thing i am kinda annoyed and :/ with is
that adam basically gives you all the power ups for your suit, no exploration for the items/upgrades, I was burning in that lava place and later when I fight that boss, "oh here is your new suit" :lol :lol

other then that, this game is awesome and I am about 5 hours in, I wonder how long i got to go :D

Red

AniHawk said:
Story question for those who have completed the game:
The fuck was the Deleter nonsense? Isn't it most likely Anthony or Adam since KG was probably the body that went into lava? Melissa could have been lying about a traitor, but then what happened with Adam looking over and the bullet being fired? So fucking dumb.
Right here I tried to explain it:
Am I the only one 100% sure that James was the deleter? It's pretty explicitly implied when he's the first one messing with the research computer early on in the game, and makes no mention of having touched the computer when the other troops show up. Plus he goes in to assassinate MB and ends up getting killed himself. I thought the game made it perfectly clear what he was, and the confusion here surprises me

And the bit with Adam
was just Samus imagining things, wasn't it? That's what I understood, anyway.

jjasper

friskykillface said:
that adam basically gives you all the power ups for your suit, no exploration for the items/upgrades, I was burning in that lava place and later when I fight that boss, "oh here is your new suit" :lol :lol

Yeah that is really stupid. I can understand the whole weapons thing as it fits with the story but the other stuff is retarded.

AniHawk

Crunched said:
Right here I tried to explain it:
Am I the only one 100% sure that James was the deleter? It's pretty explicitly implied when he's the first one messing with the research computer early on in the game, and makes no mention of having touched the computer when the other troops show up. Plus he goes in to assassinate MB and ends up getting killed himself. I thought the game made it perfectly clear what he was, and the confusion here surprises me

Okay, guess that makes sense. Adam goes missing, but we see why (much later). Anthony sorta messes with her head. KG's profile says he's missing, but we know he was tossed into lava. Guess that does wrap things up.

EDIT: And that bit with Adam, I think was shown. He looks to his left and you see a bullet fall. It's only in Samus's mind that she thinks he was snuck up on.

Teknoman

friskykillface said:

other then that, this game is awesome and I am about 5 hours in, I wonder how long i got to go :D

At least the minor upgrades are still reasonably hidden.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Kind of off topic, but while reading this thread I thought of another thing Metroid and the move Alien/Aliens share. Ridley Scott directed the first movie. Maybe that's something already known, but I thought it was neat.

scitek

Played through Ninja Gaiden on Xbox a bit last night and I think Other M is like 95% Team Ninja's game. The camera was probably worked on by Nintendo--there's no way Team Ninja got a camera to work that well--and the story was all Sakamoto. The only other thing I think Sakamoto did was make sure they stayed away from the nunchuk, and sort of an advisory role making sure everything was functional.

Glass Joe

Bizzyb said:

Weak.

Bizzyb, you *didn't* like that? That part was clever, it made me think to myself "Ahh, maybe this is Metroid after all!"

Hiltz

I actually like the art direction of Other M. Oh, and I just got the
speed booster and shinespark abilities
and their fun as hell to use.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Beat it. Game's fun but there are so many stupid little hitches that I kinda can't believe it's published by Nintendo. And the storytelling... yikes.

jjasper said:
Yeah that is really stupid. I can understand the whole weapons thing as it fits with the story but the other stuff is retarded.
It gets even dumber when
Adam dies.

How the fuck was I supposed to know to power bomb the Queen Metroid when I had never been granted the power in the first place? So bad.

AniHawk

Dan said:
How the fuck was I supposed to know to power bomb the Queen Metroid when I had never been granted the power in the first place? So bad.

You did it at the very beginning of the game.

Also,
Metroid II

Penguin

Finally Samus taking charge

Any objections, Adam? :lol

Didn't much care for like a 15 minute long recap of the game's event and explanation of how the main villains work.

legend166

I got the game yesterday and played it for 3 hours this morning.

Really enjoying it. At first I was all 'ehhhhh' but once you get into Sector 1 it gets much better. A lot less cutscenes than I thought there would be, which is good news.

Bizzyb

Banned
Glass Joe said:
Bizzyb, you *didn't* like that? That part was clever, it made me think to myself "Ahh, maybe this is Metroid after all!"

I was running around for an hour trying to figure out what the hell was wrong. Sooo......no.

Credits are rolling.

Why the fuck did they have to make Metroid a goddamn ANIME? This is easily the worst Metroid game I've ever played. (Haven't played Hunters.)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I gotta say, I fought some flying guns, got the
Difuser beam
, fought some giant worm things, and immediately fought that double bodied dinosaur thing all within like 5 minutes, non-stop.... damn. it's so much fun. it felt so actiony metroid to me.

I kinda feel bad so many people arent enjoying it. its fuuuuuuuun.

Top Bottom