• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

John Harker said:
I gotta say, I fought some flying guns, got the
Difuser beam
, fought some giant worm things, and immediately fought that double bodied dinosaur thing all within like 5 minutes, non-stop.... damn. it's so much fun. it felt so actiony metroid to me.

I kinda feel bad so many people arent enjoying it. its fuuuuuuuun.
The gameplay is great. The music is pretty damn good. All of this, for me, is marred by the anime bullshit.

ruffles

Phenomic said:
So I finished the game and I need one more Missie Expansion and was wondering if anyone could help me get it.

Missile expansion is in the room you start the game on. It's in Main Sector and the one it's the one Samus lands her gunship on. The other side of the door is blocked by an orange glowing door and I can't find a way to unlock it. Yeah somehow I managed to make the last item I get the first room in the game.:lol

That was one my last mission expansion too. I was so mad I couldn't find it on my own like I had with all the other hidden items. :p

Boney

Banned
The gameplay is great. The music is pretty damn good. All of this, for me, is marred by the anime bullshit.
It's not enough to make it the worst Metroid game though.. easily beats the usual suspects, but I'm gonna have to rearrange my top 5.

Bizzyb

Banned
jetpacks was yes said:
so far liking the game, but where is the catchy metroid music. :/ i don't want this ambient stuff dang it.

The guys at Retro really did put this soundtrack to shame. There are a few classic themes but they feel so empty and uninspired. I don't know what the hell happened but apparently these guys forgot this was a Metroid game at one point and thought it was Metroid Gaiden.

heringer

Confession time: I'm actually enjoying the story. :lol

Please don't make fun of me. :(

Other than the voice acting and the unnecessary monologues, it's interesting. Think it's better than FFXIII's, though that isn't saying much. :p

Poyunch

Bizzyb said:
The guys at Retro really did put this soundtrack to shame. There are a few classic themes but they feel so empty and uninspired. I don't know what the hell happened but apparently these guys forgot this was a Metroid game at one point and thought it was Metroid Gaiden.
Actually it wasn't even Retro. It was already established Metroid composers. I don't know why they didn't do it for this game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
OMG
The
first fight against Ridley. It was so badass. I got wiped out halfway through the first time but I pulled it off the 2nd time. It was crazy, I cringed when he got samus again the wall and grinder her against it.

The boss fights keep getting better and better.

Boney

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
Actually it wasn't even Retro. It was already established Metroid composers. I don't know why they didn't do it for this game.
It's an anime.. it needs anime music :(

I think it fits well, I like better regular Metroid soundtracks. But when the music kicks in, it's really intense.

Snuggler said:
OMG
The
first fight against Ridley. It was so badass. I got wiped out halfway through the first time but I pulled it off the 2nd time. It was crazy, I cringed when he got samus again the wall and grinder her against it.

The boss fights keep getting better and better.
Seriously, this fight topped my best gaming moment of the year which was fighting Jhen Mohran, when the main them kicks in.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
AniHawk said:
You did it at the very beginning of the game.
I don't remember that at all.

Also,
Metroid II
Is there something I should remember? Doesn't excuse the game wanting me to do something I have no reason to believe I'm able to do.

All the
forced first person stuff at the end sucked.

AniHawk

Dan said:
I don't remember that at all.

It was part of the training dealy. Actually it was the end of the training dealy.

Is there something I should remember? Doesn't excuse the game wanting me to do something I have no reason to believe I'm able to do.

It's how you kill it in
Metroid II.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dammit how do I find my percentage of completion? Are people just guessing or is there something I'm missing?

oh nevermind on question 2. I just remembered I could power bomb, I haven't used it sense the tutorial. B'oh.
and here I was waiting until Adam unlocks it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
AniHawk said:
It was part of the training dealy. Actually it was the end of the training dealy.
I see. Well I certainly don't think that one moment several hours earlier would indicate to me I would have the ability to do it later, especially when it doesn't follow the pattern of announcing the unlocking of weapons and abilities.

It's how you kill it in
Metroid II.
I see. It's been close to 15 years since I've played it.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
scitek said:
Played through Ninja Gaiden on Xbox a bit last night and I think Other M is like 95% Team Ninja's game. The camera was probably worked on by Nintendo--there's no way Team Ninja got a camera to work that well--and the story was all Sakamoto. The only other thing I think Sakamoto did was make sure they stayed away from the nunchuk, and sort of an advisory role making sure everything was functional.
I think that's a pretty safe bet. There's no denying Team Ninja's influence on the game. I don't know who programmed the camera, but it's very good. I think a lot of people will be emulating some elements from this game and I can't wait to see what Team Ninja does next. I kind of hope they make another Wii game or port this engine over to the HD Twins because it fixes a lot of problems found in the Ninja Gaiden games. Sakamoto was producer, so it seems he just had some concepts to serve as the foundation like the NES/Wii mote style of control and story.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm not comparing this game to any in the series. It's just a Wii game I picked up on Tuesday. And it's awesome. Three hours in, and it's roughly one of my favorite Wii games.

It's the benefit of not being a fanboy with anything. No rose tinted glasses or expectations.

Though my back catalog consists of this: Loved Metroid I, though haven't played it since it came out, Super Metroid was awesome but really intimated me at the time, never beat it, Prime 1 blew me away but I didn't finish it, beat and loved Prime 2 and 3 and now 3 hours into Other M. Haven't played Ninja Gaiden (did play Dead or Alives)

Boney

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
I think that's a pretty safe bet. There's no denying Team Ninja's influence on the game. I don't know who programmed the camera, but it's very good. I think a lot of people will be emulating some elements from this game and I can't wait to see what Team Ninja does next. I kind of hope they make another Wii game or port this engine over to the HD Twins because it fixes a lot of problems found in the Ninja Gaiden games. Sakamoto was producer, so it seems he just had some concepts to serve as the foundation like the NES/Wii mote style of control and story.
He's Producer/Director.

Same as Hayashi.

Alright, finally completely completed it.

What the heck was with Phantoon's completely random appearance at the end? "Oh hey Samus, am I late? Oh, shoot. Oh well, let's fight."

heringer said:
Confession time: I'm actually enjoying the story. :lol

What I find surprising is that this game sort of gives me a Resident Evil/Extermination vibe, which is just really bizarre. I don't think it's bad, it's just fun. I'm enjoying watching the story play out and I never thought I would.

Kard8p3

I have exactly two complaints with this game.
both of them involve the game making me think I'd get to do something then stealing it away from me. I thought I was gonna got to sector zero and take out some metroids but then Adam takes care of it instead. After that I'm told I need to go kill ridley so I'm thinking I get another awesome fight with him then the queen steals my kill and I'm left with a sad face.
Still with the exception of these two things I loved this game. I even liked the where's waldo moments and I honestly never got stuck on them. I hope to see another metroid using this engine in the future.

Teknoman

brandonh83 said:
What I find surprising is that this game sort of gives me a Resident Evil/Extermination vibe, which is just really bizarre. I don't think it's bad, it's just fun. I'm enjoying watching the story play out and I never thought I would.

Metroid has always seemed like a Nintendo style survival horror/exploration game to me. Its not like most action games in the sense that every time you enter a new area, you get that survival horror feeling that something crazy could be right around the corner.

Ridley327

Beat it with 100%. I can safely say that I was not expecting the grand finale at all. :lol :lol :lol

There was absolutely no storyline justification for it whatsoever, but the Phantoon reveal was hilariously awesome. I don't think I was as impressed with it as I was with the lead-up to Nightmare, but seeing that giant son of bitch spam those ghost eyes and the Phantoon Hands made me feel like a 10-year-old all over again.

Been tied up with stuff the last few days, finally got some more play time in tonight (man, you guys who can plow through a Metroid or Mario adventure in a few days, you must take vacation time or not have jobs, ha), the Biosphere stage is amazing. I just finished fighting the purple chameleons, had no problems beating them at all (unlike some certain folks playing the E3 demo :p ), the controls in the game are very tight once you get used to them. I just wish the game would make Samus auto turn around when going into first person mode if the targets are behind you and you point the wrong way by mistake.

And as has been said before, I love how the Geemers are toughened up in this game and try to chase after you. Also been having a ton of fun searching out upgrades, I still prefer Prime but this game just pops with action and is a blast. Speaking of which, I geeked out when I saw the Gas puffers, who says Sakamoto hates Prime? :D Bottom line, any small issues/disagreements I still may have with the direction they took the project in are melted away into the back of my mind when I play the game because it's so well done so far.

edit: btw, odd question maybe but does anyone know what the female computer voice is saying when you hit a save point? It sounds like "Data recorder on, system resurrection (or restoration...)"?

Teknoman said:
Metroid has always seemed like a Nintendo style survival horror/exploration game to me. Its not like most action games in the sense that every time you enter a new area, you get that survival horror feeling that something crazy could be right around the corner.
Oh, you mean like your first venture into Sector 3 when the giant thing jumps out of the lava and tries to eat you through the glass tube you're walking through? :lol

Poyunch

Agent Unknown said:
edit: btw, odd question maybe but does anyone know what the female computer voice is saying when you hit a save point? It sounds like "Data recorder on, system resurrection/restoration..."?
I've never bothered to read it but going to the options and activating the subtitles would probably solve your case.

PounchEnvy said:
I've never bothered to read it but going to the options and activating the subtitles would probably solve your case.

"Data recording and shield restoration sequence activated."

That did it, thanks (man, am I obsessive).

PounchEnvy said:
Eh I didn't do anything. :)

Well, of course you did. You helped remind me I need to stop and think before I ask a question with an obvious solution. :p

And now to go get my Club Nintendo coinage for the game.

Yamauchi

Banned
I'm about an hour in and enjoying the game a lot. The style is quite cool. No part of the game has really wowed me like so many environments in MP1-3, but it's still a solid game so far.

I just beat it and the secret ending at 60%. Going to start for 100% tomorrow.

I really, really liked it. The D-Pad controls were not bad at all and the game was definitely designed with it in mind. The first person I liked as well, and was only cumbersome at times...such as when they'd force you to search for things. Though next time I hope they add in the ability to move while in first person. I liked the story, and the voice actors weren't bad, but the script was pretty awkward. It definitely didn't get in the way of the gameplay though. Bosses were amazing, combat was very satisfying and the graphics were fantastic. My Game of the Year so far.

I love the direction they're going with the franchise and I hope the sales encourage Nintendo to continue in this direction.

EDIT: Although I will say, the parts where they forced you to go into first person for examination was stupid (except for the amazing ending).

scitek

Rush2thestart said:
I just beat it and the secret ending at 60%. Going to start for 100% tomorrow.

I really, really liked it. The D-Pad controls were not bad at all and the game was definitely designed with it in mind. The first person I liked as well, and was only cumbersome at times...such as when they'd force you to search for things. Though next time I hope they add in the ability to move while in first person. I liked the story, and the voice actors weren't bad, but the script was pretty awkward. It definitely didn't get in the way of the gameplay though. Bosses were amazing, combat was very satisfying and the graphics were fantastic. My Game of the Year so far.

I love the direction they're going with the franchise and I hope the sales encourage Nintendo to continue in this direction.

EDIT: Although I will say, the parts where they forced you to go into first person for examination was stupid (except for the amazing ending).
leon.gif
yeah

Boney

Banned
I think he means like RE4, this game is that good.

Finished it just now, credits rolling, regular ending.

The tiny flaws hold it back, but the overall experience incredibly griping. Action never lets go.

Gotta go for the 100% to see how it rates against the other Metroids, but as it stands, this is my GOTY. Let's see if Retro can win me over with Donkey Kong.

Poyunch

Green Mamba said:
Alright, finally completely completed it.

What the heck was with Phantoon's completely random appearance at the end? "Oh hey Samus, am I late? Oh, shoot. Oh well, let's fight."
I thought it was just some random fun fanservice since
it is an optional boss
. But anyway I was browsing Wikitroid and
it makes an interesting point that Phantoon may have been important to the GF's plan since it's "summoning" vortex is similar to the way monsters sometimes pop in.

Boney said:
I think he means like RE4, this game is that good.

Finished it just now, credits rolling, regular ending.

The tiny flaws hold it back, but the overall experience incredibly griping. Action never lets go.

Gotta go for the 100% to see how it rates against the other Metroids, but as it stands, this is my GOTY. Let's see if Retro can win me over with Donkey Kong.
It gets better!

PounchEnvy said:
I thought it was just some random fun fanservice since
it is an optional boss
. But anyway I was browsing Wikitroid and
it makes an interesting point that Phantoon may have been important to the GF's plan since it's "summoning" vortex is similar to the way monsters sometimes pop in.

But the enemies only appear like that at the end part before Phantoon. Given the close proximity of the events, that theory doesn't really hold up.

Poyunch

Chet Rippo said:
But the enemies only appear like that at the end part before Phantoon. Given the close proximity of the events, that theory doesn't really hold up.
Yeah again I hold it up much more as just fan service but it does seem a bit strange that monsters specific to the Bottle Ship would be summoned and that the summoning is extremely similar to Phantoon's.

IceMarker

Alright so finished it today.

Here's my quick review.

The game is awesome. The game is also sadly flawed. Combine those two and you get an awesomely flawed game that is worth at least 2 play-throughs, and considering this is a Metroid game and people like to do speedruns and what-not, multiply that number by 3 (Although that might be made difficult by the amount of cutscenes. The parts of the game that really shined for me was the presentation, most of the graphics, and the gameplay. Really those alone are worth it, but the objections every lady has with it is of course the story, characterization, and some of the oddly frustrating parts such as the forced first-person "examination" parts. The story delves a little too deep into Samus' story, I for one appreciate the fact that a Nintendo character can finally talk for once, my issue though is that she talks a bit too much. Sakamoto did a good thing by giving the Metroid universe a bit more emotion, but the delivery is not what you'd expect
such as the scene where Samus freaks out over seeing re-born Ridley
. The story as a continuity between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion is JUST FINE there are many cool little connections you can make to SM and MF, the story if it were a stand-alone game or side story makes it a black sheep in the series it's just too different for a Metroid game. Overall though, the game is definitely worth the money and you will play it again and again, if not for the speedruns and parts you may have missed.

Great game, and this is the point I'd like to make despite all negativity, it just great, the positives outweigh the negatives, even though it is most likely the 2nd to worst game in the series right ahead of Hunters, but like all Metroid games to date, IT'S A DAMN FINE GAME, DAMN FINE.
Like Samus' ass

Spoilered Opinions (REAL SPOILERS AHEAD)
You get to fight Ridley, Queen Metroid, and Nightmare. FUCKING AWESOME
They made Mother Brain into a human being! FUCKING COOL
Adam is a fucking father figure to Samus? WHAT THE FUCK

Also, I have yet to get to 100% so I'm still not done :D
Gonna replay Fusion after I get 100% so I can make more connections to Adam the computer in Fusion.

Combine

Banned
I'm so pissed at amazon. For once they actually are taking their sweet ass time with the super-saver shipping (usually doesn't arrive any different than regular). They even shipped it from the complete opposite end of the country to make sure it'd take forever, lol

Hylian7

I just finished it, and loved it. A few opinions with spoilers below.

I sort of wish the whole game was like the bonus post-credits section of the game. You're given a waypoint, but you're not forced to go to it immediately, allowing you to explore and do whatever the hell you want. I went and searched for the rumored Phantoon fight, and found it. That was also an incredible fight, but I haven't beaten him yet. This game was good, don't get me wrong, but it had huge potential to be better by adding more exploration and less guidance. They could have kept the cinematic story, and it probably could have been as good as Super Metroid.

There was constant brick shitting toward the end though at the story elements and bosses. Ridley's evolution, Nightmare (not once but twice!), and a fucking Queen Metroid?! Hell yes!

Kard8p3

Hylian7 said:
I just finished it, and loved it. A few opinions with spoilers below.

I sort of wish the whole game was like the bonus post-credits section of the game. You're given a waypoint, but you're not forced to go to it immediately, allowing you to explore and do whatever the hell you want. I went and searched for the rumored Phantoon fight, and found it. That was also an incredible fight, but I haven't beaten him yet. This game was good, don't get me wrong, but it had huge potential to be better by adding more exploration and less guidance. They could have kept the cinematic story, and it probably could have been as good as Super Metroid.

There was constant brick shitting toward the end though at the story elements and bosses. Ridley's evolution, Nightmare (not once but twice!), and a fucking Queen Metroid?! Hell yes!

So do you think a super metroid style game could work well with this engine?

Hylian7

Kard8p3 said:
So do you think a super metroid style game could work well with this engine?
Yes, I think it could quite easily be pulled off. It's not really the engine that would prevent, it's just the design of the levels and game flow. If they made a sequel to Other M, and did it in this fashion, it could be incredible.

Top Bottom