• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

AniHawk

I think a sequel shouldn't be afraid to go crazier with the level design, and be more like Super Metroid/Metroid Prime when it comes to upgrades. Even the Metroid Fusion system of Kill Boss, Get Item would be nice.

Hylian7

AniHawk said:
I think a sequel shouldn't be afraid to go crazier with the level design, and be more like Super Metroid/Metroid Prime when it comes to upgrades. Even the Metroid Fusion system of Kill Boss, Get Item would be nice.
The item obtaining was the thing I really had a beef with in this game. It just seemed like every time you were in peril, you were just given the thing to save you from it.

I would really like to see Fusion's type of atmosphere, but no computer guiding you. I just loved that feeling of "Oh shit this thing is hunting me down" the entire game, and you walk into many rooms and would often have thoughts of "WTF is going on here?!" Remember that room where you see Ridley's frozen corpse in Fusion? I want to see more stuff like that.

Kard8p3

One thing I want for a sequel is the usual Metroid composer. I think the music in this game fits well but I'd like to see a more traditional soundtrack next time. I'm hoping Metroid V uses this engine for a more open experience.

Beat it in around 11 hours with 70% of the items. The last few bosses are incredible. I need some time to digest the experience as a whole, but there is a lot to like about the game, even if some of the less likable stuff drags it down at times.

Instro

Reached Sector 2 tonight, I am definitely loving the combat and just the overall speed and mobility of Samus. The boss battles so far have also been awesome. Still not really finding many issues with the VA(actually pretty good) or dialogue(at few awkward spots), dunno what people were getting worked up over. Story seems interesting so far, props to Nintendo for that. I am not a fan of the sequences that make you hunt around for tiny details in fps mode, kind of annoying since it takes me forever.:lol

Quick question, is it possible to dodge while in first person mode or no.

kiryogi

Banned
Instro said:
Reached Sector 2 tonight, I am definitely loving the combat and just the overall speed and mobility of Samus. The boss battles so far have also been awesome. Still not really finding many issues with the VA(actually pretty good) or dialogue(at few awkward spots), dunno what people were getting worked up over. Story seems interesting so far, props to Nintendo for that. I am not a fan of the sequences that make you hunt around for tiny details in fps mode, kind of annoying since it takes me forever.:lol

Quick question, is it possible to dodge while in first person mode or no.

Yes

Xellos

Finished with 100% about an hour ago. Other M had highs and lows, but the high points were spectacular. Loved the combat, controls (they nailed it IMO), bosses*, character and creature designs, and the (post-credits spoiler)
epilogue and escape sequence
. Wouldn't change a thing about any of that. The acting and writing could have been (a lot) better, but by the end of the game I was just rolling with the cheesiness. The Adam authorization issue didn't bother me too much, even the really stupid bits like
not activating the Varia suit immediately after entering the pyrosphere
. Same for the "Where's Waldo" sequences. In each case I found the point of interest fairly quickly. The only one that gave me any real trouble was the very last one because
I thought I had to defeat those ninja robot bug things. It took me about 5 minutes (and 5 retries) to remember that Mother Brain was in the room and that it might be a good idea to try targeting her
. Maybe I've been conditioned to accept videogame contrivances.

Where the game drops the ball is in the way the bottle ship is mapped out. Not enough branching paths or connections between the sectors for me. The rooms in the bottle ship look great and have some nice hiding places for the missiles and energy tanks, but a couple of alternate or hidden routes would have gone a long way towards creating a sense of exploration.

Overall I really liked Other M and will probably attempt a second run through the game on hard mode.

Ridley, Nightmare, and Queen Metroid stole the show. The foreshadowing for each encounter was just perfect: Ridley's baby chicken form, the inverted gravity rooms, and finally poor beat-up Ridley getting eaten (or whatever Metroids do) at the end. Phantoon was a great bonus and also very cool.

Mael

Well this thread sure moves fast....

robor said:
Uh, SM follows Metroid 1's core design. It has an inherent relationship with exploitative gameplay, much like Metroid 1. It is also known as iterative design. The most basic approach to good game design.

That's not even close to being related to the problem.
The problem is the game try to pass off as Super Metroid while bearing the name for Metroid 1. Meaning that right now there's no reason to play both games, funny enough there's still reasons to play the original since there's still nothing like it.

robor said:
NEVER said it was unplayable. I more so implied it was unbearable, which it is. I do not consider it a worthy game in the franchise because of the main factors stated in my recent post. It's a NES game, and most importantly, it was an experiment of which many more mechanics were implemented and refined later on. Young devs = inexperienced in game design at the current time. It was not unpopular in the NES period.

sales data from the VC version of Metroid 1 coupled with GBA NES collection version would actually paint a picture showing that there's people disagreeing with you...
On the second part considering what devs are actually doing on their games I wouldn't say that Metroid is a result of inexperienced people either. I mean it's either that or the whole industry is filled with incompetent.
And seriously give me a break about not being worthy of being part of the serie, that's like saying FF1 is not worthy of BEING FF1 because it doesn't feature all the help you get in the later games!

robor said:
Yes I have played the game, how else would I go into such details? We most certainly experienced it differently, that's for sure. Because there was a lack of definition in ALOT of environments in that game, and I found the navigability to be archaic and problematic at best.

That's my exact definition for Kid Icarus, but I won't go saying that it's unbearably unplayable (let's face it, it's not). The problem on that is more on me than on the game.
Same with M1, the environment is actually detailed enough so that even a crude map is enough to know where you are generally, in my experience it's even overkill to even have one to begin with. And the platforming is good too...

robor said:
I did not state that sequence breaking gives leeway for making the game harder (even though it is challenging). Ever. The game has difficulty settings, from easy - normal - hard. Sequence breaking however, is an important aspect in the Metroid games and was found by accident.....until Zero Mission which openly embraced it. This is a great feature to the series because it divides the main experience with the possible pathways to enrich the longevity in the game.

Actually that's my problem right here, Zero Mission is a cake walk even on hard....unless you sequence break or restrain from taking powerups.
Again replay value is awesome if there's a play value to begin with.
Why the hell should I prefer playing Zero Mission over Super Metroid when the later actually provide a better environment, music and is actually bigger? On top of that even if by some miracle I actually found ZM to be technically superior, SM has the advantage of being able to ride on nostalgia while ZM feels like the cheap anime version of a manga I like to read.

robor said:
Well a lot of Metroid fans would seriously disagree with you, vehemently. Fusion on the other hand is completely different type of Metroid game following a different core design from Metroid 1.

And yet you can't SB in Fusion, ultimately showing that Metroid - SB == Metroid :
SBing is not important in Metroid.

robor said:
Except, again, it was not intentional by the developer. In ZM, they intentionally molded the levels AROUND sequence breaking. Yes the other games have it, but by level design, it is superior in ZM.

Better have good proof for that, cause it certainly wouldn't be the first time they put something in it for the most devoted and never actually advertised it.
I mean just look at Punch out, some stuffs are clearly not put by accident

robor said:
I never said there was, it was the one thing that carried over into the sequels, it was the right design choice at the time and still is now.
Except they didn't iterate anything! We're getting the very same powerups every time!
I mean Super Metroid is the maybe the last time a metroid from Nintendo internal team actually provided more than 1 new powerup per game.
That wouldn't be so sad if we didn't get in nearly the same order either...

Let's face it, if Zero Mission was the ultimate gem some of you are painting, it surely wouldn't have been filling the used bins as much as it did (again if a game is in the used game bin, it means someone sold it and saw it unfit to be kept). Heck with the massive userbase of the GBA you'd expect it to do better than unworthy flawed cousins that aren't even real element of the serie...
Heck we'd have been getting something between Zero Mission and Other M instead of the Prime games we got. I mean the Zero Mission game was sooooooooo popular that we got 2 Prime spinoffs on the DS .
So either their bean counters are morons and good luck proving that,
or the game is awesome but there's very few who can dig the awesomeness (pretty arrogant heh)
or the game is not that popular because people didn't find it as fun as you claim it is.
Keep in mind this argument is only there if you claim Zero Mission is the best game with the name Metroid and EVERYONE know that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finally beat it, basic ending, so I'm still going for everything that comes after.

Wasn't perfect, but still a very, very good and enjoyable game with enough 'Metroid' to keep my happy. Story and characters were nowhere near as bad as I thought they would be, though the ending filmclip dragged on waaay too long. That filmclip was, in my opinion, the biggest culprit.

Mael

Am I the only one actually hating the 1rst person parts where you get to scan something to advance and can't do anything else?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mael said:
Am I the only one actually hating the 1rst person parts where you get to scan something to advance and can't do anything else?

I disliked the first one or two because I wasn't sure exactly what I was supposed to be doing, but after I realised their purpose I didnt mind them, as finding what to point at took me no more than five seconds. They were over very quickly.

Mael

EatChildren said:
I disliked the first one or two because I wasn't sure exactly what I was supposed to be doing, but after I realised their purpose I didnt mind them, as finding what to point at took me no more than five seconds. They were over very quickly.

I usually fall asleep every time something like that happen...Now I've got do a section i didn't like very much because of that :lol

Haunted

As Samus takes charge and the game opens up more in the second half of the game (and especially in the post-credits content), it goes from merely being a good and entertaining game to being pretty fucking awesome. You know, Metroid.

Mael said:
No one likes those.

Thank God it's only a couple times throughout the entire game, and they're over in roughly 5 seconds each when you know what to look for.

Diffense

I have to go for 100% but I completed the main sequence in about 10.5 hours with 27% items.
It was a lot of fun, I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to the what's left to play.
By the end, I was even acing the examination sections.

I'm not sure what the hoopla about Samus' character being destroyed was about.
She was no damsel in distress in Other M just a bit more rounded than a cyborg who shoots aliens.

Some of Samus monologue lines were not my favourite in content or delivery.
Sometimes the phrase structure seemed strange and the words too deliberately enunciated.
But that's a very minor complaint because I always looked forward to the cutscenes anyway.

This was some of the most raw fun I've had with a game in a while.
The gameplay is fast and easy to control, is sufficiently challenging and looks good enough to watch.
In particular, the camera ALWAYS gives the PERFECT view of the action; I never even thought about it.
It really feels like an old-school game given elaborate presentation.

I could say more but I already said a lot after my first 4 hours of play.
The bottom line is that Other M gets a definite Galactic Federation thumbs up from me.
There are things that could be polished so I'd love another Metroid game in this format.
I can't really fathom a nonsensical review score like 2/5 (40%) but everything from 80-90% seems about right depending on how much weight the reviewer gave to perceived flaws.

Diffense

Chet Rippo said:
I'm just going to say that the start menu map is terrible and highly unhelpful. The mini map is more accurate then it.

So true.
Why can't you rotate it?
Half the time it shows you going in a different direction from the mini-map.
It's good for a birds eye view but you end up having to ignore it most of the time.

Diffense said:
The bottom line is that Other M gets a definite Galactic Federation thumbs up from me.

I give it a customary thumbs down. Only because I'm young and naive, and greet light smiles with bitterness, and Adam knows my feelings so well and confession time, there's no denying that I see him as a father figyure!

Just kidding, glad to see some positive impressions, I'm loving it too!

Dialogue question from Sector 2 - spoilers!!:

In Sector 2, Samus finds a body and says something along the lines of "The corpse showed signs of Metroid <insert word here that describes WTF metroids do to people>... Metroids here? Impossible. They are extinct, the baby was the last of its kind"

so what was the word she used to describe that again?

Koodo

Banned
I just completed the game an hour ago.

Verdict: excellent. The game has the most refreshing, action-packed, gorgeous gameplay system of the year so far. Leave it to Team Ninja to make the gameplay do the crazy stunts that would normally be reserved for cutscenes.

But what I loved the most is that it's a new, refreshing take on Metroid. Sure, it's hyper linear, but that's part of the charm. The pace never falters and it's straight up action from beginning to end, brilliantly mixed in with Metroid staples throughout the way. Upgrades, in particular, are much harder to find than in any of the Prime games and on par with 2D games.

The controls are not easy to get used to, but once it clicks, they're sublime. This game would have not controlled better using an analog stick. The majority of the time is spent going in a straight line, and sense movements rely on the nature of the D-Pad being a button instead of a stick. The dynamic, fixed camera also helped in preventing the D-Pad controls from becoming wonky. Which brings me to my next point: the first-person view was a clever addition that allows the player to see every inch of a room without having to sacrifice a fixed camera. It could've been a total disaster, but the instantaneous switch made it work; that they also implemented sense movements into this view, providing uninterrupted evasion, is a further positive.

The story: passable, standard game stuff. It's not terrible by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, the story itself is actually good, but the dialogue, delivery, and cutscene direction are all lacking. As it stands, it didn't detract from my experience; it was just there.

What I disliked: forced first-person and over-the-shoulder segments (I can only count one over-the-shoulder segment that I thought was well implemented, and that one was towards the end). Minor disappointment: the music. Perfectly fitted (and augmented) the atmosphere, but it was not memorable. Sorely missed: Retro's art direction. The rooms felt like they were lacking details, but this was expected. This is how every game not made by Retro looks.

Going for 100% completion now (currently at 63%). Would totally replay the game again. Samus continues to be HBIC and better than you.

kiryogi

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
I give it a customary thumbs down. Only because I'm young and naive, and greet light smiles with bitterness, and Adam knows my feelings so well and confession time, there's no denying that I see him as a father figyure!

Just kidding, glad to see some positive impressions, I'm loving it too!

Dialogue question from Sector 2 - spoilers!!:

In Sector 2, Samus finds a body and says something along the lines of "The corpse showed signs of Metroid <insert word here that describes WTF metroids do to people>... Metroids here? Impossible. They are extinct, the baby was the last of its kind"

so what was the word she used to describe that again?

Predation

Mael

Koodo said:
This game would have not controlled better using an analog stick.

That never was the problem, the problem was that with analog movement it frees up the wiimote and allow control of the aiming.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Diffense said:
So true.
Why can't you rotate it?
Half the time it shows you going in a different direction from the mini-map.
It's good for a birds eye view but you end up having to ignore it most of the time.
It would have been nice if you could see more of the detail (like what's on your HUD/mini map) when you zoomed in and kept the birds eye view when zoomed out. I also would have liked to be able to toggle the HUD/mini map on and off.

One idea as a premise for the next game could be to go to other planets again that the Chozo inhabited. The Prime games and Zero Mission set it up that they colonized other planets IIRC. Perhaps they left Samus some new upgrades on them! How about heat seeking bombs? In addition to killing baddies, they could double as a way to find hidden items. :O One old power up that was missing was the spider ball, so I'd like to see that return also. As far as story goes, they could go into who the Chozo were/are. They haven't really explored that very much, but perhaps they have a cure for Samus' Fusion. I also think it would be cool if you started off on a space station (kind of like Prime) and got super powerful like you do in this game, but then you go to the planet and get even more powerful. They also need to bring back Kraid. I don't know, just some ideas.

Kard8p3

etiolate said:
I wish I could understand the people calling this game great. I just can't lower my standards that much.

Opinions and all that. Just because other people think it's great doesn't mean their standards are lower it just simply means they enjoyed it and you didn't.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Koodo said:
This game would have not controlled better using an analog stick.
It's already been discussed to death, but there's no reason they couldn't have included it as an option. There are some people (myself included) that find the tiny d-pad very uncomfortable to use. They could have still done the 8 way movement the d-pad provides on the analog stick. It also would have made aiming in first person easier because your controller is already pointed at the screen. For an action game that's fast paced like this, you can see how this could be beneficial.

etiolate said:
I wish I could understand the people calling this game great. I just can't lower my standards that much.
The foundation is great, but the flaws surrounding it keep the complete experience from being great. Hopefully they make another one and fix all the problems.

Koodo

Banned
Mael said:
That never was the problem, the problem was that with analog movement it frees up the wiimote and allow control of the aiming.
I guess I forgot to address the aiming issue. Auto-aim (to me) was the only logical solution that could tie up the whole package. Not only did it rarely aim somewhere I didn't want it to, the few times it did were practically made null after acquiring the Diffusion beam (which is found extremely early in the game). I honestly do not understand why anyone would want a reticle on their screen (the screen is already dense enough without it); on top of that, manual aiming would require an analog stick, which, as I already explained, would be a worse control option (in my opinion).

The majority of Samus' movements also seem to be critically tied to the auto-aim. I don't see how they would translate as effectively to a manual aim, and these movements are integral to the gameplay.

AniHawk

etiolate said:

I don't think it's great either, but behind all the story and cutscenes ruining stuff, there's a good game that's a little more actiony than your standard Metroid. And it's the second best one in the series to hit a console in 16 years.

Mael

Koodo said:
I guess I forgot to address the aiming issue. Auto-aim (to me) was the only logical solution that could tie up the whole package. Not only did it rarely aim somewhere I didn't want it to, the few times it did were practically made null after acquiring the Diffusion beam (which is found extremely early in the game). I honestly do not understand why anyone would want a reticle on their screen (the screen is already dense enough without it); on top of that, manual aiming would require an analog stick, which, as I already explained, would be a worse control option (in my opinion).

The majority of Samus' movements also seem to be critically tied to the auto-aim. I don't see how they would translate as effectively to a manual aim, and these movements are integral to the gameplay.

I'll say this is personal preference more than anything,
It's probably the last time I'll give my point of view on it, I mean we don't exactly need the archive full of my view on THAT.
Analog movement works better in 3D, this is known since 96 at the very least. I played numerous games that ended up sucking because of that.
Other M suffer from stiff movements while moving Samus around because of that, another point is that as a result the game is very...square in its level design and the camera is fixed to go around the dpad's limitation.
As a result it controls like some old ps1 FF while on the rendered backgrounds, not ideal to say the least.
the whole animation samus has while shooting and all is really GOOD and nearly make it worth it to have auto aim, except the game doesn't always aim where I want to and as a result there's some unweiildy moments that could have been better.
And also it had another layer of skill to the game for the shooting element.

It doesn't play badly to say the least, but it's not exactly perfect.
There's a control scheme I think would be way better (that we've already seen used)and I didn't get it.
Heck NSMBW actually provided that option (and it's way more dependant on precise moves), so that was possible.

To sum : I fucking hate auto aim, regardless of the game.

Diffense

Koodo said:

I have to agree with you here.
I thought it was perfect.

It's not entirely automatic since you have to face the enemy you want to hit.
That simple aspect of manual control tied in with Samus inherent sharpshooting is what made it FUN and old-school.
I don't think the mechanic of chasing fleet-footed enemies around the screen with the Wiimote while running around with the nunchuk would have been as fun, varied, or "metroidy".

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Koodo said:

Auto aim works really well in third person. In first person it's a lot worse because not only do you have to shoot missiles from this perspective, but you have to also be locked on. This requires you to hold down the "B" button when you enter the mode because you often don't have much time to line your aim up. One of the problems with this is that you sometimes lock onto the wrong target. It could have been remedied if when you switched to first person you were already in a free look mode and then you pressed a button to lock on - kind of like Metroid Prime 3. The way they did it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense especially when it worked so well already in MP3. Also, because you only have one button to shoot with - the A button - there are times when you don't want to use missiles which means your reticle has to be over the target, but not locked on. This has already been discussed as well, but using something like the minus button to toggle to missiles would have fixed this in first person and allowed them to be shot from third person as well.

EatChildren

etiolate said:

Hur dur.

Diffense

MadOdorMachine said:
Auto aim works really well in third person. In first person it's a lot worse because not only do you have to shoot missiles from this perspective, but you have to also be locked on. This requires you to hold down the "B" button when you enter the mode because you often don't have much time to line your aim up. One of the problems with this is that you sometimes lock onto the wrong target.

I was about to say this as well.
The first person lock on controls don't work as well in situations where there are multiple foes which is why I never used it then.
I understand why they did the B button 'look' because otherwise you'll exit the mode rather than turn but it is a bit 'clunky'.

However, the only place in the game I was annoyed by this was the sequence at the very end.
I was planning to write about how it was very ill-conceived in focusing on the very thing the engine was not designed to do well when I realised that
you didn't have to defeat all the enemies to end it
That aspect could definitely use some polish but it didn't really hamper the gameplay for me.

kinggroin

Banned
AniHawk said:
I don't think it's great either, but behind all the story and cutscenes ruining stuff, there's a good game that's a little more actiony than your standard Metroid. And it's the second best one in the series to hit a console in 16 years.

nah.

etiolate

Banned
Koodo said:

I've made examples of why I would want a reticule. I had plenty of times where it did not shoot where I wanted it to, including many frustrating miniboss moments. I'd have a legit concern in front of Samus, but because some bug was slightly more in range behind Samus, she'd turn around and shoot the bug while the bigger enemy charges me. Shit like that happened way too often. A reticule would fix all that. Having a game "guess" what you mean to do in a game like this is unacceptable.

EatChildren

Things I did not have any functional problem with;
- Auto-aim.
- D-pad controls.
- First person rocket shooting.

It's a shame you guys ran into hurdles, either the game's or your own, because it was smooth sailing for me.

AniHawk said:

You know, I was reading an old ass thread on Metroid Prime 2 and you named it your GOTY. :lol

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Diffense said:
I was about to say this as well.
The first person lock on controls don't work as well in situations where there are multiple foes which is why I never used it then.
I understand why they did the B button 'look' because otherwise you'll exit the mode rather than turn but it is a bit 'clunky'.

However, the only place in the game I was annoyed by this was the sequence at the very end.
I was planning to write about how it was very ill-conceived in focusing on the very thing the engine was not designed to do well when I realised that
you didn't have to defeat all the enemies to end it
That aspect could definitely use some polish but it didn't really hamper the gameplay for me.
You think so? Your controller has to be pointed at the screen to move regardless of whether or not you're holding B down. I'm really interested in this because it seems like another thing they could have fixed. There's already a ton of polish on the camera and automation so I don't see why they couldn't find a work around here as well. I'd like to know how this went about during development.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
EatChildren said:
Things I did not have any functional problem with;
- Auto-aim.
- D-pad controls.
- First person rocket shooting.

It's a shame you guys ran into hurdles, either the game's or your own, because it was smooth sailing for me.
Can't argue with you there. It is a shame.

Koodo

Banned
Mael said:
I'll say this is personal preference more than anything,
It's probably the last time I'll give my point of view on it, I mean we don't exactly need the archive full of my view on THAT.
Analog movement works better in 3D, this is known since 96 at the very least. I played numerous games that ended up sucking because of that.
Other M suffer from stiff movements while moving Samus around because of that, another point is that as a result the game is very...square in its level design and the camera is fixed to go around the dpad's limitation.
As a result it controls like some old ps1 FF while on the rendered backgrounds, not ideal to say the least.
the whole animation samus has while shooting and all is really GOOD and nearly make it worth it to have auto aim, except the game doesn't always aim where I want to and as a result there's some unweiildy moments that could have been better.
And also it had another layer of skill to the game for the shooting element.

It doesn't play badly to say the least, but it's not exactly perfect.
There's a control scheme I think would be way better (that we've already seen used)and I didn't get it.
Heck NSMBW actually provided that option (and it's way more dependant on precise moves), so that was possible.

To sum : I fucking hate auto aim, regardless of the game.
And you are completely correct, it is personal preference. But what is personal preference is the design of the game. You are right that most 3D games work best with an analog stick, but Other M is not your standard 3D game. Those old PS1 games that were shoddy on a D-Pad where shoddy because the level design did not align with control design.

The square levels, the fixed camera and the gameplay represent what this game is, and I stand by my statement that D-Pad controls best accommodate this particular design (and you seem to agree as well by saying that these elements were incorporated as a way to get around the controls' limitation, suggesting that they're interrelated). Saying that Other M should have different controls is suggesting that it should have been a different game altogether.

What happened is that the design of the game turned out to be polarizing, which ended up displeasing a group of people. That being said, I actually like that the game is polarizing. It's a statement that Other M succeeded in being a new experience, whether you ended up liking it or not, and this is something sorely needed in an industry that's become so stagnant.

Mael

Koodo said:
And you are completely correct, it is personal preference. But what is personal preference is the design of the game. You are right that most 3D games work best with an analog stick, but Other M is not your standard 3D game. Those old PS1 games that were shoddy on a D-Pad where shoddy because the level design did not align with control design.

The square levels, the fixed camera and the gameplay represent what this game is, and I stand by my statement that D-Pad controls best accommodate this particular design (and you seem to agree as well by saying that these elements were incorporated as a way to get around the controls' limitation, suggesting that they're interrelated). Saying that Other M should have different controls is suggesting that it should have been a different game altogether.

What happened is that the design of the game turned out to be polarizing, which ended up displeasing a group of people. That being said, I actually like that the game is polarizing. It's a statement that Other M succeeded in being a new experience, whether you ended up liking it or not, and this is something sorely needed in an industry that's become so stagnant.

it's a case of chicken/egg here, I feel the game is that wya because of the control, you imply the contrary...so yeah.
I feel that with another scheme the game obviously would have been different and as a result better in my opinion.
But that is just me wanting the game to be something it's not, but hey I paid for it so I got to have demand :lol

Just gave it a try tonight. It's not clicking with me. Everything is really awkward and there's no seamlessness, and the automatic controls do a really poor job of helping. I'm doing fine, but I feel like I have to "trick" the auto-everything to work for me. Bleh.

Aside from that, this really struck me as odd. I'm probably months late, since I've been on media blackout for this game, but why the hell is Samus so tiny? I can't say I don't like the design, since I'm quite partial to petite women, but how is that supposed to be Samus? My Official Nintendo Player's Guide for Super Metroid says she's 6 foot 3, 200 lbs WITHOUT her suit. So how do you reconcile this:

ShortSamus.jpg

with this:

TallSamus.jpg

especially since this game wants to be so closely associated with Super Metroid?

Top Bottom