• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Desiato said:
I'm annoyed at how the Prime series supposedly isn't canon. Get over yourself, Sakamoto.

I'm not entirely sure Sakamoto has ever said anything along the lines of "PRIME IS NOT CANON". Considers it a side-story, maybe? But its not like he bags them out or anything. I cant recall him saying anything in the realm of negativity regarding Prime.

robor

Mael said:
Considering it's your average action game with some good ideas...And even then can you deny the obvious qualities of the game? the music, atmosphere, ingenuity in how and why the traps are sets?
And clearly a debate on whether a game is good or not is ultimately useless and is not interesting at all.

My mistake. I needed to elaborate on that. It is my opinion, but there is also a substantial amount of factors in the game that were pathological methods of play and during that period the developers recognized this, so they branched off from what worked for the game, and what didn't. I can't go on any further because I've stated before what I think are the glaring flaws in Metroid 1. It's clear as day for me. As for SotC, I find it hard to even call it a "game" but I'll leave that for another day, this is a Metroid thread.

We're not talking about anything other than video games here, if you intent to make it into games-are-arts-and-should-reverred-as-such, that'll be my cue.

Games-as-art = bullshit. Unless we look at the traditional definition of "art" then sure, we can call it games-as-art.

But even then, and that's even more beautiful, even if you take SM64 or what have you it will still pale in comparison to SMB for its design.
Adn that's due to the simple fact that what any Mario game brought after SMB is footnotes compared to what made SMB what it is.
In short even if we go by the quality of the design and how it meshes, the simple fact that they're highly experimental experiences would make them far more interesting than after they've regurgitated for the millionth time (which is how ZM appears).
And as I said popular consensus is the only this debate will ever go anywhere.

Super Mario 64 contains design choices that do not exist on a 2D plane. It is an evolution from 2 axes to 3. Certain mechanics must then be removed and replaced as they don't function nearly as competently on a 3D plane. This is what iterative design proves when you carry an existing formula. Games hold sets of rules and they are altered in order to improve the momentum of play and interest. Checkmate was not an original rule for chess and was applied later on through indirect iterative playtesting.

Just because Metroid 1 was an experiment, doesn't mean it was a successful experiment. It does hold some merit and value, and that is it gave birth to the root of Metroid's core gameplay, it's just that it failed at executing it well (cue in SM).

And if we're going by popular consensus then for their time, Mozart, Bela Bartok and Igor Stravinsky all sucked fucking hard. :lol

ttocs

I'm getting into Metroid again thanks to Other M. I even went on ebay and picked up the Metroid Prime Trilogy for a pretty penny just to play through that again. Hopefully I get it this weekend and can play it alongside Other M.

Lan_97

Played for about an hour last night. Seems alright so far. It feels like a solid Metroid game with layers of issues that have already been mentioned in this thread. Not deal breakers, but annoying in that they should not have been issues to begin with.

I do miss the music though. Looking forward to playing more.

wsippel

Banned
EatChildren said:
I'm not entirely sure Sakamoto has ever said anything along the lines of "PRIME IS NOT CANON". Considers it a side-story, maybe? But its not like he bags them out or anything. I cant recall him saying anything in the realm of negativity regarding Prime.
Sakamoto didn't write Prime (Nate Bihldorff wrote those if I remember correctly), so while he doesn't dismiss the games, they are not part of the storyline he came up with. Which is fine and perfectly understandable, considering he wrote Fusion so many years ago. Doesn't look like Bihldorff took Fusion into account, either.

Ridley327

Well, they are set just after Metroid 1, so Fusion would add very little to their equation.

All this talk of canon reminds me of the better times when there really wasn't a strong canon to speak of. I miss those days.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
wsippel said:
Sakamoto didn't write Prime (Nate Bihldorff wrote those if I remember correctly), so while he doesn't dismiss the games, they are not part of the storyline he came up with. Which is fine and perfectly understandable, considering he wrote Fusion so many years ago. Doesn't look like Bihldorff took Fusion into account, either.
That's perfectly acceptable, but some people are claiming that despite the fact that it's a spin off, it isn't Metroid cannon. I'm curious about this as well because one pays homage to the original sense of the character and the other is trying to expand it.

Edit - I should clarify that I'm curious if Sakamoto himself has ever made comments like this. Is there a link of him doing so?

Ridley327

If I'm not mistaken, this week's games won't show up on the August NPD totals, but September will be a 5-week month as a result.

I would not hope for Other M to make a top 10 performance; there's too much competition this month.

Rich!

Just picked it up today

cutscenes arent that bad, and the gameplay is pretty fun. Switching from third to first person is pretty seamless imo, and I have no problem killing enemies using it.

AT LAST! I have it in my hands!
Going to work a little now while watching an episode of Mistery Science Theater 3000 and boot it up this afternoon!

EatChildren said:
I struggled to find a bigger version than the original, so I made it bigger myself.

5zk3t2.jpg

ridly 4 lyf

Thanks for the compliments about my username
joking, yeah, Ridley is awesome
:lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Mafro said:
GameCentral are almost always spectacularly wrong these days, see also them giving Heavy Rain a 4. I miss Digitiser.

Holy shit. Someone actually gave it the score it deserved!

I wouldn't expect this to do better than Super Metroid or Fusion. Maybe Zero Mission level. Just keeping my expectations in check.
Hope it makes the top 10 in UK charts, though I'm very doubtful (aside from the first Prime, the others absolutely tanked here).

gogojira

Ridley327 said:
I would not hope for Other M to make a top 10 performance; there's too much competition this month.

I'm trying to recall what all hits this month. Obviously the big one is Halo, which will undoubtedly take the number one spot.

Mael

robor said:
My mistake. I needed to elaborate on that. It is my opinion, but there is also a substantial amount of factors in the game that were pathological methods of play and during that period the developers recognized this, so they branched off from what worked for the game, and what didn't. I can't go on any further because I've stated before what I think are the glaring flaws in Metroid 1. It's clear as day for me. As for SotC, I find it hard to even call it a "game" but I'll leave that for another day, this is a Metroid thread.

Thing is, SM is also an experiment to see what worked and what didn't.
Heck if you take just the first 3 Metroid (and heck maybe even the 4th), they're VERY different and cannot be directly compared as a simple iterative process (like say FF1->3->5).
If you look at the very 1rst Metroid, you'll see it's not THAT different to something like the original Zelda in some of its design choices (non linear design, item based, reward exploration, arcade gameplay).
They made some choices toward a more sequential type of progression in the sequels (except maybe in ZM) and steered the serie toward a type of play more inline with what the market could bear at the time, that doesn't mean it's the only type of progression that could have happened either.
It's quite clear Metroid was meant to be a maze type of game by design, that's clearly lost in all the sequels (actually not in Metroid 2).
I shudder at how you would describe Heavy Rain :lol

robor said:
Games-as-art = bullshit. Unless we look at the traditional definition of "art" then sure, we can call it games-as-art.

good let's close that part.

robor said:
Super Mario 64 contains design choices that do not exist on a 2D plane. It is an evolution from 2 axes to 3. Certain mechanics must then be removed and replaced as they don't function nearly as competently on a 3D plane. This is what iterative design proves when you carry an existing formula. Games hold sets of rules and they are altered in order to improve the momentum of play and interest. Checkmate was not an original rule for chess and was applied later on through indirect iterative playtesting.

Except that as Sega demonstrated, making the transition from 2d to 3d is really really hard.
The compromise they found for Mario makes for a working game (and not a bad one at that), but clearly customers are uninterested.
If you ask me, while some element remained, many many things were lost in the process of the transition (that nsmbw actually makes it very obvious). The transition to 3d didn't improve the momentum of the game, that's for sure, and actually made the game way less interesting (it becomes glaring in galaxy 2 where the game try to pass of as 2d Mario but really fails due to how 3d Mario actually moves)

All that doesn't the change the fact that Mario, 2d or 3d, shit all over the other series in term of game play and design.

robor said:
Just because Metroid 1 was an experiment, doesn't mean it was a successful experiment. It does hold some merit and value, and that is it gave birth to the root of Metroid's core gameplay, it's just that it failed at executing it well (cue in SM).

Actually it WAS a success, or it would have suffered the fate of Wrecking Crew or Kid Icarus.
We're not talking about the crowning achievement of Nintendo either, but for an experiment it proved mighty successful (heck it even got copied and all).
Even something as simple as the ability to backtrack is something pretty momentous , especially in the sea of sidescroller that rode the wave of SMB.

robor said:
And if we're going by popular consensus then for their time, Mozart, Bela Bartok and Igor Stravinsky all sucked fucking hard. :lol
That could be comparable if any of their products were mass market products to be consumed by a market whose interest was instant gratification.

Ridley327

gogojira said:
I'm trying to recall what all hits this month. Obviously the big one is Halo, which will undoubtedly take the number one spot.

Off the top of my head, NHL 11, FIFA 11, Dead Rising 2 and Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock are the other big releases for September, while you can count on other chart mainstays to remain on there as well. It also doesn't help that Metroid has traditionally been a niche franchise in the grand scheme of things. Nintendo is pushing the game really damn hard, though.

AniHawk

Ridley327 said:
Off the top of my head, NHL 11, FIFA 11, Dead Rising 2 and Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock are the other big releases for September, while you can count on other chart mainstays to remain on there as well. It also doesn't help that Metroid has traditionally been a niche franchise in the grand scheme of things. Nintendo is pushing the game really damn hard, though.

I don't see NHL 11 doing big numbers.

I'm guessing 150k for the month on Metroid, regardless. Also, I think thanks to its position next to the end of the year, it'll have good legs. Sorta like Punch-Out (which started at 150k and is currently in the 600k range).

gogojira

Ridley327 said:

Forgot about those titles. Does NHL do decent numbers historically? Forgot about FIFAR, can't wait for it.

It'll definitely be hard to chart looking at that list, but I hope it does.

gogojira

AniHawk said:
I don't see NHL 11 doing big numbers.

I'm guessing 150k for the month on Metroid, regardless. Also, I think thanks to its position next to the end of the year, it'll have good legs. Sorta like Punch-Out (which started at 150k and is currently in the 600k range).

That'd be nice. I was disappointed in Punch-Out numbers at first, but then it kept charting (on the low end) for a while which was nice.

Ridley327

I wasn't doubting the legs potential (you'd have to be crazy to do so with any of Nintendo's major franchises), but I just can't see a major victory for the game in its first month.

robor

Mael said:
Thing is, SM is also an experiment to see what worked and what didn't.
Heck if you take just the first 3 Metroid (and heck maybe even the 4th), they're VERY different and cannot be directly compared as a simple iterative process (like say FF1->3->5).
If you look at the very 1rst Metroid, you'll see it's not THAT different to something like the original Zelda in some of its design choices (non linear design, item based, reward exploration, arcade gameplay).

Yes it really can be. There are two core designs in the Metroid franchise that permeate through out the entire series, it is there in the code, and in the gameplay.

It's quite clear Metroid was meant to be a maze type of game by design, that's clearly lost in all the sequels (actually not in Metroid 2).

Are you serious? I swear you're taking the piss. Are you? Because I cannot understand how you can't see that in the later Metroids. That maze still exists, you still have to tread through the unknown, it's just that later you eventually find a map extension and there for are rewarded for not having to memorize every corridor in every environment, which is a welcome addition compared to the contrived nature of what Metroid 1 expected you to do.

It isn't lost, it was harnessed and improved.

I shudder at how you would describe Heavy Rain :lol

Yea, that's something we should never talk about : P

Haunted

As far as the 3D games go, I'd rank them Corruption > Prime > Other M > Echoes.

I do appreciate the 2D Metroids (well, not the original or II), but they're not comparable enough to incorporate them into this ranking.

I would accept arguments that even the Prime games are very different to Other M and shouldn't be compared. Other M does feel like a more natural extension of the 2D gameplay put into 3D. Like a hybrid of Super Metroid and the Prime games.

Prime does the transition to 3D more boldly, deviating much more from the classic formula while retaining the classic feel (which is why it's/they're rightfully considered one of the biggest achievements in gaming).

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Prime is canon, let's not be silly. It's just that it's so self-contained, and so early on in the series chronologically, that really it's extremely easy to completely ignore in a game like Other M. Nothing in there really affects the "main" storyline. Sure Sakamoto could choose to pull it in more, but ignoring it doesn't somehow erase it from existence.

Mael

robor said:
Are you serious? I swear you're taking the piss. Are you? Because I cannot understand how you can't see that in the later Metroids. That maze still exists, you still have to tread through the unknown, it's just that later you eventually find a map extension and there for are rewarded for not having to memorize every corridor in every environment, which is a welcome addition compared to the contrived nature of what Metroid 1 expected you to do.

It isn't lost, it was harnessed and improved.

It IS lost, if you can't get lost in a maze it's no longer one!
And I repeat you never did have to remember the exact set up of the rooms in Metroid.
It's not even clearly a problem in Metroid fusion/Zero Mission, it's a problem for the Prime games as well.
What is the point of a maze you have a map for? If the maze is really in need of a map, it shouldn't be given so freely, heck even the confusing mess that Other M provide is still enough to get navigation right.
I've already have a hard time getting lost in Metroid 1 so I really don't see how that could be done in the sequels (it's not Monster Max after all, THAT game had mazes)

robor said:
Yea, that's something we should never talk about : P

I don't care myself, I'll see if someone can lend it to me and if not, it's not like I'll miss much.

HK-47 said:
Holy shit. Someone actually gave it the score it deserved!
:: high five ::

Check out the Let's Play on Something Awful, it's very well-done. Watching the videos, it's almost like I'm almost playing the game!

Haunted said:
As far as the 3D games go, I'd rank them Corruption > Prime > Other M > Echoes.

I do appreciate the 2D Metroids (well, not the original or II), but they're not comparable enough to incorporate them into this ranking.

I rated Echoes quite low when I played it on Gamecube, but when beating it in the Wii compilation, my appreciation shot through the roof. Its a good, hardcore sequel to Prime. An exercise in masochism almost!

At this juncture I'd rate them
Prime 1
Corruption
Echoes
Other M

Other M is at the bottom there, but I actually love it so far. As for the 2D games you mentioned, I'd love Metroid II to get a remake like Zero Mission. I can't stand Gameboy visuals/sounds! I liked Fusion but the constant respawning X-parasites were not my favourite aspect...

Of the 2d games I've played I'd rate them:
Super Metroid > Metroid: Zero Mission > Metroid Fusion > Metroid NES

gogojira

Tathanen said:
Prime is canon, let's not be silly. It's just that it's so self-contained, and so early on in the series chronologically, that really it's extremely easy to completely ignore in a game like Other M. Nothing in there really affects the "main" storyline. Sure Sakamoto could choose to pull it in more, but ignoring it doesn't somehow erase it from existence.

It's the recent European press release that highlighted the entire Metroid series, placing all things Prime in a separate timeline and positioned as a spin-off of sorts that has people debating this.

When Prime first released, it happened between Metroid 1 and 2. I just find it odd that Nintendo even went back and placed it in an alternate timeline.

robor

Mael said:
It IS lost, if you can't get lost in a maze it's no longer one!
And I repeat you never did have to remember the exact set up of the rooms in Metroid.
It's not even clearly a problem in Metroid fusion/Zero Mission, it's a problem for the Prime games as well.
What is the point of a maze you have a map for? If the maze is really in need of a map, it shouldn't be given so freely, heck even the confusing mess that Other M provide is still enough to get navigation right.
I've already have a hard time getting lost in Metroid 1 so I really don't see how that could be done in the sequels (it's not Monster Max after all, THAT game had mazes)

The point is navigability. Which, right from the beginning, I said Metroid 1 fails at.

farnham said:
The Bigger Question is... why did she turn form a brunette into a blonde ?

Women change their hair color all the time. I had a roommate who went through a half dozen colors in a year. So if Samus wants to go from green to blonde to purple to brown and back to blonde, more power to her. But they rarely get shorter.

gogojira said:
It's the recent European press release that highlighted the entire Metroid series, placing all things Prime in a separate timeline and positioned as a spin-off of sorts that has people debating this.

When Prime first released, it happened between Metroid 1 and 2. I just find it odd that Nintendo even went back and placed it in an alternate timeline.

Can you elaborate or do you have a link? That's the first I've heard of it. I was still under the impression that the Prime games were tucked neatly away between 1 and 2, and since they wrapped up the story fairly well, they could be safely ignored by anyone who wanted to do so.

AniHawk

Leondexter said:
Women change their hair color all the time. I had a roommate who went through a half dozen colors in a year. So if Samus wants to go from green to blonde to purple to brown and back to blonde, more power to her. But they rarely get shorter.

My guess is that the explosion from Zebes opened a rift in time that sent Samus spiraling into the past where she became younger and shorter. She then aged normally from then on, but thanks to the residual effects of the travel through space-time, stayed at her height.

Mael

robor said:
The point is navigability. Which, right from the beginning, I said Metroid 1 fails at.

naah,
Samus controls like a charm in that game, it's pretty clear where you can go and where you can't.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here, the major was always the fucking 30 points limit and how freaking hard it is to replenish your energy while extremly easy it was to lose said energy.

farnham

Banned
Leondexter said:
thats a shame short cuts are hot.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
gogojira said:

Yeah I'm not sure PR from NoE is particularly reliable when it comes to things like that. They definitely don't have any authority to make claims of that sort, so they'd need to have some wire into Sakamoto's mind here, which I sincerely doubt.

Besides, actually reading the PR, all they say is:

Metroid Prime Series (in order of in-game timeline):
The Metroid Prime series is a separate collection of games featuring Samus Aran which has a different concept and game design to Metroid games.

Nothing there implies a separate timeline in the least. Obviously it's a separate collection of games, and a different concept and game design. And yes, that is the in-game timeline. But let's not extrapolate beyond that for no reason.

AniHawk said:
My guess is that the explosion from Zebes opened a rift in time that sent Samus spiraling into the past where she became younger and shorter. She then aged normally from then on, but thanks to the residual effects of the travel through space-time, stayed at her height.
Sounds about right.

AniHawk said:

You win the No-Prize. I can get behind this explanation. Especially since she got hotter, too.

jman2050

Mael said:
naah,
Samus controls like a charm in that game, it's pretty clear where you can go and where you can't.

Wait what?

Are you talking about the same game where you can't shoot enemies lower than arm height and where Samus controls so loosely in the air and when changing direction that any part of the game that demands precision platforming (and there are a few) are near impossible? And that's just off the top of my head.

Mael

jman2050 said:
Wait what?

Are you talking about the same game where you can't shoot enemies lower than arm height and where Samus controls so loosely in the air and when changing direction that any part of the game that demands precision platforming (and there are a few) are near impossible? And that's just off the top of my head.

So by that metric any game from that era (especially Megaman) is dowright unplayable, there's ways to dispatch foes that are on the ground, the jump is extremly precise.
Seriously should we consider everything Castlevania, Megaman... bar Mario 2 and 3 when you get the Pwing too?

jman2050

Mael said:
So by that metric any game from that era (especially Megaman) is dowright unplayable, there's ways to dispatch foes that are on the ground, the jump is extremly precise.
Seriously should we consider everything Castlevania, Megaman... bar Mario 2 and 3 when you get the Pwing too?

Seriously, I'm not saying it's unplayable, I'm calling out the idea that Samus "controls like a charm" in that game.

gogojira

Tathanen said:
Yeah I'm not sure PR from NoE is particularly reliable when it comes to things like that. They definitely don't have any authority to make claims of that sort, so they'd need to have some wire into Sakamoto's mind here, which I sincerely doubt.

Besides, actually reading the PR, all they say is:

Nothing there implies a separate timeline in the least. Obviously it's a separate collection of games, and a different concept and game design. And yes, that is the in-game timeline. But let's not extrapolate beyond that for no reason.

I'm not saying it's not canon and honestly, I really don't care. I'm just saying what's the likely cause of debate. At the end of the day, I really don't want to argue canon when it comes to Metroid because that's the least of my concerns. :p

Ridley327

Controlling Samus in Metroid 1 is fine, but it's compounded by a proliferation of pitfalls that take forever to traverse and the stupid-ass door glitch that allows certain enemies to damage you while you're transitioning to the next screen.

pulga

Banned
Mael said:
naah,
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here, the major was always the fucking 30 points limit and how freaking hard it is to replenish your energy while extremly easy it was to lose said energy.

Did you get a different game than us in France? She controls horribly.

Mael

jman2050 said:
Seriously, I'm not saying it's unplayable, I'm calling out the idea that Samus "controls like a charm" in that game.
well the 1rst time I played it, it sure did. I never revised my judgment on it though.
The animation was crazy good too.

jman2050

Ridley327 said:
Controlling Samus in Metroid 1 is fine, but it's compounded by a proliferation of pitfalls that take forever to traverse and the stupid-ass door glitch that allows certain enemies to damage you while you're transitioning to the next screen.

I don't know how anybody can play through the long vertical corridor after Kraid with the long column of disappearing blocks and say that the game controls flawlessly. It's just not possible.

Mael

jman2050 said:
I don't know how anybody can play through the long vertical corridor after Kraid with the long column of disappearing blocks and say that the game controls flawlessly. It's just not possible.

As I said, I played it for the 1rt time a long time ago, I found the controls really good then, I still do.

Top Bottom