• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Koodo

Banned
Leondexter said:
Aside from that, this really struck me as odd. I'm probably months late, since I've been on media blackout for this game, but why the hell is Samus so tiny? I can't say I don't like the design, since I'm quite partial to petite women, but how is that supposed to be Samus? My Official Nintendo Player's Guide for Super Metroid says she's 6 foot 3, 200 lbs WITHOUT her suit. So how do you reconcile this:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a311/leondexter/ShortSamus.jpg

with this:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a311/leondexter/TallSamus.jpg

especially since this game wants to be so closely associated with Super Metroid?
This new height or whatever wasn't something introduced in Other M though. Samus was tiny in Corruption as well (just stand next to any trooper).

It makes more sense that she's shorter if she's going to go all super gymnast on us anyway. :lol

etiolate

Banned
There answer is that Sakamoto has been retconning his own idea of Samus/Metroid over and over. Compare a Super Metroid interview to a Corruption interview to the Other M interview.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Leondexter said:
My Official Nintendo Player's Guide for Super Metroid says she's 6 foot 3, 200 lbs WITHOUT her suit. So how do you reconcile this:

maybe they extra tall all the troopers etc?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
From the Super Metroid interview from 1994;

What will Samus do next?

Sakamoto: I can't clearly say right now, but I think I want to make her the main character in an action game.

Ho ho.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
thegodsend said:
how do you beat the
flying robots in sector 1, right after a save station
?
I feel like I missed an energy tank expansion :(
You either keep hitting them with a charge attack, or you use missiles. There are two main gameplay elements the game is based around. One is dodging an attack and then counter attacking with a charged blast. The other is hitting enemies with a charged blast and then while they're stunned hit them with a missile.

thegodsend said:
how do you beat the
flying robots in sector 1, right after a save station
?
I feel like I missed an energy tank expansion :(
Wait for
their guns to come out, then hit them while they're exposed. Dodge their shots with the sense move as necessary.

Desiato

My favorite moment of fan service was
in the Bioweapons Lab hallway those circley things (Zebetites?) being shot at you.

Diffense

I was wondering about Samus' height as well because she looks so small next to the GF troopers.
However, she absolutely towers over the other female characters in the game so maybe the GF troopers are just giants.

My favorite moment of fan service was
in the Bioweapons Lab hallway those circley things (Zebetites?) being shot at you.

YES! lol

farnham

Banned
Leondexter said:
Just gave it a try tonight. It's not clicking with me. Everything is really awkward and there's no seamlessness, and the automatic controls do a really poor job of helping. I'm doing fine, but I feel like I have to "trick" the auto-everything to work for me. Bleh.

Aside from that, this really struck me as odd. I'm probably months late, since I've been on media blackout for this game, but why the hell is Samus so tiny? I can't say I don't like the design, since I'm quite partial to petite women, but how is that supposed to be Samus? My Official Nintendo Player's Guide for Super Metroid says she's 6 foot 3, 200 lbs WITHOUT her suit. So how do you reconcile this:

ShortSamus.jpg

with this:

TallSamus.jpg

especially since this game wants to be so closely associated with Super Metroid?

she grew and gained a lot weight after she got out of the Galactic Federation Army ?

The Bigger Question is... why did she turn form a brunette into a blonde ?

Nessus

Haven't beaten the game yet, but pretty near the end.

I now see this as basically a remake of Fusion in the same sense that Super was a "remake" of the original Metroid.

No, I don't think it's nearly as successful at improving on the original in every way that Super was, that should go without saying, but I'm still really liking it.

I think, perhaps, the tutorials, etc. don't stress enough just how much you really have to use the dodge move, and become good at it (and once you are good at it, it actually becomes a really fun move to do, makes you feel really agile and powerful). But there's just no way to beat later bosses without it, and I had a bitch of a time with one in particular that you fight multiple times until I really started to get its pattern down.

The fact that this game exists in no way negates the Prime games. Those other games still exist, and they're still great. They do a different thing. They focus on different "Metroid" elements and bring those to the forefront. Other M focuses on other aspects.

In fact, this game is really making me want to replay those other games once I'm done.

Also, I really don't feel that this game ignores the Prime games. They've taken far too many cues from the Prime games to conclude that Sakomoto doesn't respect them or that he's actively trying to contradict them. Sound effects, the visor HUD, music, certain items... it's obvious they were very aware of the Prime games when they made this.

etiolate

Banned
farnham said:
she grew and gained a lot weight after she got out of the Galactic Federation Army ?

The Bigger Question is... why did she turn form a brunette into a blonde ?

the blonde hair makes her dialogue more believable

Mael

The funny thing is that despite the change in hair color (she could be a blonde that bleach is brown to suit the moment or vice versa...heck 10min after the beginning I'm ready to believe she's a redhead who as a sign of rebellion against authority dyes her hair...that's how much i hate the beginning of Other M), the suit is still blue :lol

AniHawk

_Alkaline_ said:
You know, I was reading an old ass thread on Metroid Prime 2 and you named it your GOTY. :lol

Yeah, I was sorta riding the high off of Sanctuary Fortress, which was legitimately awesome and a pretty big chunk of the game. I still maintain it's better than the first game, but my choices for favorite games of 2004 changed greatly by the end of the year and afterward. I think Pikmin 2, Paper Mario 2, and MGS3 were all better games than KOTOR 2 and Echoes. Maybe Zero Mission too.

farnham

Banned
Mael said:
The funny thing is that despite the change in hair color (she could be a blonde that bleach is brown to suit the moment or vice versa...heck 10min after the beginning I'm ready to believe she's a redhead who as a sign of rebellion against authority dyes her hair...that's how much i hate the beginning of Other M), the suit is still blue :lol
73180-29-2.jpg

LIES!

Mael

farnham said:
[IMG ]http://cdn1.gamepro.com/screens/107538/73180-29-2.jpg[/IMG]

LIES!

well in the picture I mean....:lol
she's allowed to change clothes too...I hope

AniHawk said:
Yeah, I was sorta riding the high off of Sanctuary Fortress, which was legitimately awesome and a pretty big chunk of the game. I still maintain it's better than the first game, but my choices for favorite games of 2004 changed greatly by the end of the year and afterward. I think Pikmin 2, Paper Mario 2, and MGS3 were all better games than KOTOR 2 and Echoes. Maybe Zero Mission too.

*urges rising*

Pikmin 2 is legitimate awesome though, especially if you never played the 1rst one, it's really THAT good (even if no one cared)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, those moments when they freeze the screen and force you to play a hidden object game are stupidly annoying.

How the hell did anyone think they were a good idea?!?!?

heringer

One thing I think Other M does really well is giving the player the feeling of empowerment with new upgrades. When you get your
plasma beam
and some of those axcel charges (I love this upgrade, better than the missile expansion) you can really plow through everything in your way, including some of the monsters previously introduced as mid-bosses (I also think the game does a great job integrating boss like creatures with the rest of the cast of regular monsters).

robor

Mael said:
Well this thread sure moves fast....

That's not even close to being related to the problem.
The problem is the game try to pass off as Super Metroid while bearing the name for Metroid 1. Meaning that right now there's no reason to play both games, funny enough there's still reasons to play the original since there's still nothing like it.

sales data from the VC version of Metroid 1 coupled with GBA NES collection version would actually paint a picture showing that there's people disagreeing with you...
On the second part considering what devs are actually doing on their games I wouldn't say that Metroid is a result of inexperienced people either. I mean it's either that or the whole industry is filled with incompetent.
And seriously give me a break about not being worthy of being part of the serie, that's like saying FF1 is not worthy of BEING FF1 because it doesn't feature all the help you get in the later games!

That's my exact definition for Kid Icarus, but I won't go saying that it's unbearably unplayable (let's face it, it's not). The problem on that is more on me than on the game.
Same with M1, the environment is actually detailed enough so that even a crude map is enough to know where you are generally, in my experience it's even overkill to even have one to begin with. And the platforming is good too...

Actually that's my problem right here, Zero Mission is a cake walk even on hard....unless you sequence break or restrain from taking powerups.
Again replay value is awesome if there's a play value to begin with.
Why the hell should I prefer playing Zero Mission over Super Metroid when the later actually provide a better environment, music and is actually bigger? On top of that even if by some miracle I actually found ZM to be technically superior, SM has the advantage of being able to ride on nostalgia while ZM feels like the cheap anime version of a manga I like to read.

And yet you can't SB in Fusion, ultimately showing that Metroid - SB == Metroid :
SBing is not important in Metroid.

Better have good proof for that, cause it certainly wouldn't be the first time they put something in it for the most devoted and never actually advertised it.
I mean just look at Punch out, some stuffs are clearly not put by accident

Except they didn't iterate anything! We're getting the very same powerups every time!
I mean Super Metroid is the maybe the last time a metroid from Nintendo internal team actually provided more than 1 new powerup per game.
That wouldn't be so sad if we didn't get in nearly the same order either...

Let's face it, if Zero Mission was the ultimate gem some of you are painting, it surely wouldn't have been filling the used bins as much as it did (again if a game is in the used game bin, it means someone sold it and saw it unfit to be kept). Heck with the massive userbase of the GBA you'd expect it to do better than unworthy flawed cousins that aren't even real element of the serie...
Heck we'd have been getting something between Zero Mission and Other M instead of the Prime games we got. I mean the Zero Mission game was sooooooooo popular that we got 2 Prime spinoffs on the DS .
So either their bean counters are morons and good luck proving that,
or the game is awesome but there's very few who can dig the awesomeness (pretty arrogant heh)
or the game is not that popular because people didn't find it as fun as you claim it is.
Keep in mind this argument is only there if you claim Zero Mission is the best game with the name Metroid and EVERYONE know that.

Why do you keep reverting back to how successful the game is by consensus? I do not care how many bargain bins you found it in, I do not care how much more sales Metroid 1 had on VC, it does not determine the quality of the game. The latter is merely nostalgic adoration.

How much did you think Super Mario Bros. sold on VC compared to SMG? How does that qualify creative integrity?

The sequence breaking in ZM is much more defined than the rest of the series. Hard mode = perceived value, what you consider hard does not = what IS hard for anyone else.

robor

etiolate said:
I've made examples of why I would want a reticule. I had plenty of times where it did not shoot where I wanted it to, including many frustrating miniboss moments. I'd have a legit concern in front of Samus, but because some bug was slightly more in range behind Samus, she'd turn around and shoot the bug while the bigger enemy charges me. Shit like that happened way too often. A reticule would fix all that. Having a game "guess" what you mean to do in a game like this is unacceptable.

You aim by proximity, much like Prime.

Mael is wrong in suggesting that sales reflect the quality of a game. They don't.

robor is wrong in trying to convince people that the original Metroid is a poor game. It's not.

Gaaraz

Has anyone seen the Gamecentral review? Ouch! http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/839670-games-review-metroid-other-m

In Short: Ham-fisted controls and storytelling turn Samus into a clumsy blabbermouth, with a game that squanders all the series' best tricks and adds none of its own.

Pros: The old Metroid magic does poke through at times with some decent bosses and lots of hidden secrets. Good music and the cut scenes are technically impressive.

Cons: Unnecessarily ungainly controls. Awkward first person elements, linear progression, bland graphics, and endless boring cut scenes and monotone voiceovers.

Score: 5/10
"no one was more upset than us at the review, it pained us to admit the faults."

Damn, really not sure on this now! My opinion almost always seems to match up with GC.

Ledsen

I'm getting this soon but my hopes aren't that high. I very much doubt that any game, even a Metroid game, will ever better Metroid Prime. But then again I never thought there would be a better Metroid game than Super... we'll see :)

Mael

robor said:
Why do you keep reverting back to how successful the game is by consensus? I do not care how many bargain bins you found it in, I do not care how much more sales Metroid 1 had on VC, it does not determine the quality of the game. The latter is merely nostalgic adoration.

Actually unless you're talking how much you like a game (which is YOUR opinion and as such is not worth debating, not just yours, mine too), the only thing worth talking about is how it was received.
If it is well received and liked, it will get sequels and all, if not it'll stop.
DKC2 and YI were released nearly at the same time IIRC, we got multiple sequels to DKC2, none for YI.
Conclusion : the market has spoken, they to play (and pay) for DKC2 over YI. I can differ all I want it won't change the reality that as a result I got less games that follows the formula of YI over the one seen in DKC2.

robor said:
How much did you think Super Mario Bros. sold on VC compared to SMG? How does that qualify creative integrity?

Actually a better comparison would be the sales trend of SM64 and NSMB, much more similar. Or any 3D Mario to NSMB or NSMBW (although the later one got amputated of its later legs).
And if the whole SMB affair showed anything, it's that creative integrity is overated. We should never have had to wait so much to get a new 2D race-to-the-finish Mario game, they dropped it in favor of something they clearly wanted to do and as such disregarded the what their customers actually wanted. As a result : lesser sales => less money, which really is all they should worry about.

robor said:
The sequence breaking in ZM is much more defined than the rest of the series. Hard mode = perceived value, what you consider hard does not = what IS hard for anyone else.
Hard mode which is NOT available when you get the game, which is also way easier than Metroid 1 if only due to the structure of both games.
Or actually HARDER is not the right word, it provides way more scenarii for failure => more interesting choices in how to avoid death.
The more traps, the more likely it is that you'll fall into one, Metroid 1 provided WAY MORE than Zero Mission in that context.

_Alkaline_ said:
Mael is wrong in suggesting that sales reflect the quality of a game. They don't.

robor is wrong in trying to convince people that the original Metroid is a poor game. It's not.

Again, quality is not exactly what is in question here,
perceived value is. As it is it can be proven without a shadow of a doubt if a gmae was perceived more valuable than another in the market.
Who cares about the objective quality of the game anyway? unless you intend to make a lengthy indepth critique it'll be wasted anyway.

wsippel

Banned
etiolate said:
I've made examples of why I would want a reticule. I had plenty of times where it did not shoot where I wanted it to, including many frustrating miniboss moments. I'd have a legit concern in front of Samus, but because some bug was slightly more in range behind Samus, she'd turn around and shoot the bug while the bigger enemy charges me. Shit like that happened way too often. A reticule would fix all that. Having a game "guess" what you mean to do in a game like this is unacceptable.
For someone who seems to put so much thought into what's wrong with a particular game, you know surprisingly little about what would be better. Manual aiming simply would not work. The game is way too fast for manual aiming, the game is 3D, but you'd aim on a 2D plane (you'd constantly target enemies you didn't want to shoot just because they're closer to the camera, even if they're very far away from Samus), you couldn't target offscreen enemies, and it would clash with the animation system (you could aim at enemies standing behind you, but you couldn't actually shoot them unless you turn around - confusing as fuck). The only way to implement manual aiming would be to make a completely different, much slower game.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So after playing hard mode a bit, it seems the only difference is that there are no energy/missile/charge upgrades? If so, that's pretty gimped. I could've done that without even unlocking hard mode.

Very hard mode: 10 missiles, no energy upgrades, and no using the charge beam!
Very very hard mode: the above, + defeat all enemies with bombs where possible.

robor

Mael said:
Actually unless you're talking how much you like a game (which is YOUR opinion and as such is not worth debating, not just yours, mine too), the only thing worth talking about is how it was received.
If it is well received and liked, it will get sequels and all, if not it'll stop.
DKC2 and YI were released nearly at the same time IIRC, we got multiple sequels to DKC2, none for YI.
Conclusion : the market has spoken, they to play (and pay) for DKC2 over YI. I can differ all I want it won't change the reality that as a result I got less games that follows the formula of YI over the one seen in DKC2.

Uh, no shit? I know it's my opinion and it's how I determine a good game from a shit game. Just because everybody considers Shadow of the Colossus a masterpiece does not mean I like it, I consider it to be the exact opposite.

Sales is not a part of the game's design and does not determine the quality of it's design. Citizen Kane is considered one of the greatest films of all time and it sold like shit when it was released. It was a financial mess.

Actually a better comparison would be the sales trend of SM64 and NSMB, much more similar. Or any 3D Mario to NSMB or NSMBW (although the later one got amputated of its later legs).
And if the whole SMB affair showed anything, it's that creative integrity is overated. We should never have had to wait so much to get a new 2D race-to-the-finish Mario game, they dropped it in favor of something they clearly wanted to do and as such disregarded the what their customers actually wanted. As a result : lesser sales => less money, which really is all they should worry about.

I was comparing a game from the same period of Metroid 1 with a game from a similar period to Zero Mission, but perhaps I should of used SM64, regardless, as I said above, it does not determine the quality of game design.

Hard mode which is NOT available when you get the game, which is also way easier than Metroid 1 if only due to the structure of both games.
Or actually HARDER is not the right word, it provides way more scenarii for failure => more interesting choices in how to avoid death.
The more traps, the more likely it is that you'll fall into one, Metroid 1 provided WAY MORE than Zero Mission in that context.

It's harder because it's contrived with arbitrary gameplay. That's why Zero Mission was made, it was to IMPROVE the fractured state of what Metroid 1 was.

Anyways, this is the final straw for me, I guess we won't see this eye to eye and I'm gonna have to throw in the "agree to disagree" towel.

For the life of me I cannot remember how to get to sector 2 lava pit from sector 1. It's the section you originally get to where the lava monster breaks the bridge.

robor

wsippel said:
For someone who seems to put so much thought into what's wrong with a particular game, you know surprisingly little about what would be better. Manual aiming simply would not work. The game is way too fast for manual aiming, the game is 3D, but you'd aim on a 2D plane (you'd constantly target enemies you didn't want to shoot just because they're closer to the camera, even if they're very far away from Samus), you couldn't target offscreen enemies, and it would clash with the animation system (you could aim at enemies standing behind you, but you couldn't actually shoot them unless you turn around - confusing as fuck). The only way to implement manual aiming would be to make a completely different, much slower game.

Thank you. Glad I'm not the only one who see's this popular "solution" example beyond the surface.

gogojira

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Beat it in around 11 hours with 70% of the items. The last few bosses are incredible. I need some time to digest the experience as a whole, but there is a lot to like about the game, even if some of the less likable stuff drags it down at times.

It's weird to give a spoiler warning when you've beat the game but I'll warn you not to read the following bit unless you've done the special mission afterward.

Please tell me you've done the Phantoon and escape scene part. It's an epic throwback that is very obviously fan service, but I ate that shit up. Phantoon looks fucking amazing.

MechaX

Just beat a certain Metroid staple boss.
Huh. Furbies evolve into furry bird things into Space Dragons! Interesting... The fight was fun, albeit really, really short and easy.

Although, while I buy Samus being surprised about Ridley being alive, I absolutely do not buy her traumatic breakdown at seeing Ridley. This is something that should have been saved for something like Zero Mission. Instead, Samus has an traumatic episode after seeing a thing that she has thoroughly whooped no less than five times, three of which in vastly more powerful forms than what we've seen here, regardless of her traumatic childhood experience with it? Is this supposed to retcon all of Samus' prior experiences with Ridley in which she always felt traumatized and essentially petrified before a Ridley battle? I'm not arguing the logic of her fear of Ridley, but I do find the chronology of this really suspect.
It's like Sakamoto said "Well... this happened in the manga... Let's shove it in this game regardless of how it might not even make sense from a chronological standpoint!"

Oh well.. With this fight, I'm expecting the game is nearing its end already.

gogojira

Also, for fun I popped in the original Prime and Corruption. I was fast to remember things I didn't like about Corruption -- Other M definitely gets the nod over it. The original Prime, however, still impressed me with the overall design of the world. I'm sure there are some extra graphical frills in Corruption, but for whatever reason it comes off a less polished game.

Even if I don't agree with everything that's done in Other M, I hope Nintendo stays the course and expands on what they've done from a gameplay perspective. There are some areas in need of improvement, but I can honestly say I was ready to hope back in the speedy world of Other M after dabbling with the Prime Trilogy.

It's funny because like a few people have suggested: Other M almost becomes more Metroid after you beat it because the entire ship is open for exploration. If only that concept was introduced from the beginning.

I'm ready for a post Metroid Fusion experience and by that time, she should definitely be more hardened given that she sort of toughened up by the end of Other M.

Mael

robor said:
Uh, no shit? I know it's my opinion and it's how I determine a good game from a shit game. Just because everybody considers Shadow of the Colossus a masterpiece does not mean I like it, I consider it to be the exact opposite.

Considering it's your average action game with some good ideas...And even then can you deny the obvious qualities of the game? the music, atmosphere, ingenuity in how and why the traps are sets?
And clearly a debate on whether a game is good or not is ultimately useless and is not interesting at all.

robor said:
Sales is not a part of the game's design and does not determine the quality of it's design. Citizen Kane is considered one of the greatest films of all time and it sold like shit when it was released. It was a financial mess.

We're not talking about anything other than video games here, if you intent to make it into games-are-arts-and-should-reverred-as-such, that'll be my cue.

robor said:
I was comparing a game from the same period of Metroid 1 with a game from a similar period to Zero Mission, but perhaps I should of used SM64, regardless, as I said above, it does not determine the quality of game design.

But even then, and that's even more beautiful, even if you take SM64 or what have you it will still pale in comparison to SMB for its design.
Adn that's due to the simple fact that what any Mario game brought after SMB is footnotes compared to what made SMB what it is.
In short even if we go by the quality of the design and how it meshes, the simple fact that they're highly experimental experiences would make them far more interesting than after they've regurgitated for the millionth time (which is how ZM appears).
And as I said popular consensus is the only this debate will ever go anywhere.

robor said:
It's harder because it's contrived with arbitrary gameplay. That's why Zero Mission was made, it was to IMPROVE the fractured state of what Metroid 1 was.

Anyways, this is the final straw for me, I guess we won't see this eye to eye and I'm gonna have to throw in the "agree to disagree" towel.

That would be the case if all they did was remove the silly save system and didn't put arbitrary health replenishers every 10 steps.
Even something as inoccuous as save stations that replenish the health is something that change fundamentally how the game plays. Zero Mission is way easier and that's not because Metroid 1 was unforgiving that it makes what they did with ZM acceptable either.
The only way they could have made the game easier would have been with autoaim so that you didn't even had to shoot right to the foes.
The game might be better for you if you don't like how challenging some games could be at the time but that doesn't make it 'better' by any metric (and Mertoid 1 is NOWHERE near the hardest NES game, same with Metroid2, they may seem hard now compared to the piss easy games we have now but they're really easy if you take your time)

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
blizeH said:
Has anyone seen the Gamecentral review? Ouch! http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/839670-games-review-metroid-other-m

"no one was more upset than us at the review, it pained us to admit the faults."

Damn, really not sure on this now! My opinion almost always seems to match up with GC.
I give their review a 5/10 :p

gogojira said:
Also, for fun I popped in the original Prime and Corruption. I was fast to remember things I didn't like about Corruption -- Other M definitely gets the nod over it. The original Prime, however, still impressed me with the overall design of the world. I'm sure there are some extra graphical frills in Corruption, but for whatever reason it comes off a less polished game.

Even if I don't agree with everything that's done in Other M, I hope Nintendo stays the course and expands on what they've done from a gameplay perspective. There are some areas in need of improvement, but I can honestly say I was ready to hope back in the speedy world of Other M after dabbling with the Prime Trilogy.

It's funny because like a few people have suggested: Other M almost becomes more Metroid after you beat it because the entire ship is open for exploration. If only that concept was introduced from the beginning.

I'm ready for a post Metroid Fusion experience and by that time, she should definitely be more hardened given that she sort of toughened up by the end of Other M.
Corruption had some flaws as well, particularly the sky level but it set the standard for FPS controls on Wii. Metroid Prime has the best level design and music of the 3 by far imo. Echoes was great except for the dark worlds. I also much prefer the stackable weapons in MP3.

As far as Nintendo staying the course with Other M. I completely agree. Despite all of my complaints, from a gameplay perspective, this is exactly what I've always wanted in a Super Metroid sequel. They just need to perfect it and fix the controls, story presentation, pacing and music. The action and camera are spectacular though and deserve all the praise they can get. I'll give Nintendo credit and believe that they will fix the mistakes. Also instead of another sequel to Super Metroid, I want a sequel to Other M. In other words, stop focusing so much on Super Metroid and give us an improvement of Other M to the same degree that Super Metroid improved upon the original 2 games. Don't forget what the other games have brought to the table though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I struggled to find a bigger version than the original, so I made it bigger myself.

5zk3t2.jpg

ridly 4 lyf

heringer

MadOdorMachine said:
I give their review a 5/10 :p

Corruption had some flaws as well, particularly the sky level but it set the standard for FPS controls on Wii. Metroid Prime has the best level design and music of the 3 by far imo. Echoes was great except for the dark worlds. I also much prefer the stackable weapons in MP3.

As far as Nintendo staying the course with Other M. I completely agree. Despite all of my complaints, from a gameplay perspective, this is exactly what I've always wanted in a Super Metroid sequel. They just need to perfect it and fix the controls, story presentation, pacing and music. The action and camera are spectacular though and deserve all the praise they can get. I'll give Nintendo credit and believe that they will fix the mistakes. Also instead of another sequel to Super Metroid, I want a sequel to Other M. In other words, stop focusing so much on Super Metroid and give us an improvement of Other M to the same degree that Super Metroid improved upon the original 2 games. Don't forget what the other games have brought to the table though.
I wonder if there's a chance of that happening though. Here's hoping for good sales.

AniHawk

MechaX said:
Just beat a certain Metroid staple boss.
Huh. Furbies evolve into furry bird things into Space Dragons! Interesting... The fight was fun, albeit really, really short and easy.

Although, while I buy Samus being surprised about Ridley being alive, I absolutely do not buy her traumatic breakdown at seeing Ridley. This is something that should have been saved for something like Zero Mission. Instead, Samus has an traumatic episode after seeing a thing that she has thoroughly whooped no less than five times, three of which in vastly more powerful forms than what we've seen here, regardless of her traumatic childhood experience with it? Is this supposed to retcon all of Samus' prior experiences with Ridley in which she always felt traumatized and essentially petrified before a Ridley battle? I'm not arguing the logic of her fear of Ridley, but I do find the chronology of this really suspect.
It's like Sakamoto said "Well... this happened in the manga... Let's shove it in this game regardless of how it might not even make sense from a chronological standpoint!"

1. Prime is not canon.
2. Yeah she freaks out in the manga.
3. She knows Ridley was a space pirate and that he was working with Mother Brain on Zebes in Zero Mission. She would expect him to be there.
4. He appears at the very start of Super Metroid so she's aware he's there too.
5. She not only killed him dead, but blew up the planet he was on. The only thing that survived the blast was Samus (and sometimes her woodland friends).

Is it overboard? Yeah. But it's not too far from the realm of possibility. It is the guy who killed her mom and dad right in front of her and then ate their remains.

And at least he never said a word.

Oh well.. With this fight, I'm expecting the game is nearing its end already.

It's not. You still have at least 3 more hours. And more if you want to do everything.

I'm playing it through right now, and there are flaws with the story and pacing. But I like the speed and the combat.

I'm hoping it does well enough so Sakamoto and Team Ninja do Metroid Dread in this style, albeit with the flaws fixed. On the 3DS, so we get slide-pad control.

Top Bottom