• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

GrotesqueBeauty said:
It just restarts you at your gunship with the Phantoon fight reset, but with all the items you get and doors you open saved.
It's just like Fusion, basically.

Ok cool. I will say this, that was BADASS!

boiled goose

good with gravy
Ok... continued impressions.

The game is starting to win me over. Why? The combat is pretty awesome.
Dpad movement works great with the structure of the environment.
Finishing moves are sweet.
Transition to first person is fast smooth and awesome.

not so great are the controls in first person. holding b to look is again stupid especially when it is also lock on. also shooting and missile both being a button is sometimes confusing.

Things I might like to try out in future games.
Pointer directed third person aiming instead of autoaim.
full FPS movement in first person.

This game really feels like a 3D fusion in many many ways.

With regards to other controversial aspects:
cutscenes and voice acting are ok. problem is again over narration by samus. make it a first person or third person perspective and do it well, right now it is a weird mixture of both. Example: we see samus wake up. She says: " I awoke ..."

I have mixed feelings about Adam's control of samus in the game...
and i hate the mole and flick of hair in her face.

Playing this makes me want a New retro metroid game that would include the best things about other m resulting in a completely awesome hybrid experience.

Speed of third person movement and combat.
other m slick look combined with retro's creature and environmental art.
scanning, logs, all that good stuff sadly not in other m.
First person elements for exploration and combat with full FPS freedom of movement when in that mode.

Someone please make this happen...

Boney

Banned
Sakamoto said:
“please forgive me, but I’m horrible at drawing, Indeed, I’m much better at programming! I’m so bad that nobody understands my storyboards when we’re making a game!”
:lol

Great interview man!

Seda

Hey guys, need some help.

i just
Ran into the real Madeline, and then MB showed up, and then more GF guys outta nowhere, and then a buncha monsters appeared and I can't figure out how to kill them. It seems like once I do enough damage the turn into green pods...but I don't know how to finish them off.

its a first person only shoot out.

Halp.

MiamiWesker said:
Ok cool. I will say this, that was BADASS!
Yeah, it's pretty much pure fan service.
I like that they went with a less obvious boss. Phantoon is one of the more challenging parts of Super Metroid, and it's a nice nod to fans on Team Ninja's part.

Seda said:

i just
Ran into the real Madeline, and then MB showed up, and then more GF guys outta nowhere, and then a buncha monsters appeared and I can't figure out how to kill them. It seems like once I do enough damage the turn into green pods...but I don't know how to finish them off.

Halp.
Shoot MB in the background instead.
That part was stupidly obtuse, just like most of the forced first person segements. :p

kiryogi

Banned
Seda said:

i just
Ran into the real Madeline, and then MB showed up, and then more GF guys, and then a buncha monsters appeared and I can't figure out how to kill them it seems like once I do enough damage the turn into green pods...but I don't know how to finish them off.

Halp.

You want to fend off the monsters just enough so you can zoom in on Melissa

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Yeah, it's pretty much pure fan service.
I like that they went with a less obvious boss. Phantoon is one of the more challenging parts of Super Metroid, and it's a nice nod to fans on Team Ninja's part.

Totally forgot which boss that was, its so random I thought it was some new version of mother brain (one eye creature), I really wanted the final boss to be mother brain. But now I remember, of course I remember that bastard. That was really cool.

gogojira

It's funny and seems to be the general consensus that the game ramps up and up and really peaks at the end -- while it'd be nice to be amazing throughout, I hate when games end on a low note.

I'm still sad about
not being able to take out Mother Brain and the Metroids on the recreated Tourian

Boney

Banned
Sakamoto: Ha estado un tiempo fuera y ahora vuelve a los principios. En Japón sale a la venta mañana; creo que muchos seguidores de la saga Metroid están esperándola y se sentirán muy satisfechos con su vuelta a Japón. Sobre ‘las Samus', es una pregunta complicada. Casi todo el mundo me pregunta por la serie Prime, que la meten dentro de la misma línea, pero son distintas. No tienen nada que ver, pero puede ser una forma de representar las facetas distintas de la personalidad de Samus. No quiero hacer divisiones entre la Samus occidental o la Samus oriental; para mí, la verdadera Samus para todo el mundo es la que vais a conocer con Metroid Other M.

Translation: She's been away for a while and now she's back to her roots. It comes out tomorow in Japan; I think many followers of the Metroid franchise are waiting for it and will be very satisfied with her return to Japan. About 'both Samus' [asked about their difference in character], it's a complicated question. Everybody asks me about the Prime saga, where they fit them in the same line, but they're different. They got nothing in common, but it could be a way of representing the diferent aspects [facets] of Samus' personality. I don't want to make divisions between western Samus and eastern Samus; for me, the real Samus for the whole world is the one you'll meet in Metroid Other M.

Amir0x

Banned
100% at 8:36.

The endgame felt more like Metroid, but overall the games problems remained consistent throughout. End score: 7.0/10.

farnham

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
It's going to be interesting following a new game with the Fusion Suit.
please not. i want a new suit.

hint

305.gif

Boney

Banned
I don't know, maybe I'm indeed crazy, but the game's faults (exposition dumps, waldo sequences, and being a bit too slow on the investigation part) are not enough to bring the game down. It has too many great things going for it.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Boney said:
Sakamoto: Ha estado un tiempo fuera y ahora vuelve a los principios. En Japón sale a la venta mañana; creo que muchos seguidores de la saga Metroid están esperándola y se sentirán muy satisfechos con su vuelta a Japón. Sobre ‘las Samus', es una pregunta complicada. Casi todo el mundo me pregunta por la serie Prime, que la meten dentro de la misma línea, pero son distintas. No tienen nada que ver, pero puede ser una forma de representar las facetas distintas de la personalidad de Samus. No quiero hacer divisiones entre la Samus occidental o la Samus oriental; para mí, la verdadera Samus para todo el mundo es la que vais a conocer con Metroid Other M.

Translation: She's been away for a while and now she's back to her roots. It comes out tomorow in Japan; I think many followers of the Metroid franchise are waiting for it and will be very satisfied with her return to Japan. About 'both Samus' [asked about her difference in [asaked about their difference in character], it's a complicated question. Everybody asks me about the Prime saga, where they fit them in the same line, but they're different. They got nothing in common, but it could be a way of representing the diferent aspects [facets] of Samus' personality. I don't want to make divisions between western Samus and eastern Samus; for me, the real Samus for the whole world is the one you'll meet in Metroid Other M.

I have never understood why some people say that the Prime games are so different from other metroid games (especially MP1)

MP1 is more like super metroid than fusion and other M.

There is also not much of samus's personality showing up in the prime games. I really dont understand why sakamoto feels so detached from them

farnham

Banned
Offtopic. Anyone from Europe that bougth this game. I just opened Metroid Other M and there is no game registration card in it . Has Nintendo abandoned the Star system (Stars are the equivalent to the coins in America) ?

kiryogi

Banned
amtentori said:
I have never understood why some people say that the Prime games are so different from other metroid games (especially MP1)

There is also not much of samus's personality showing up in the prime games. I really dont understand why sakamoto feels so detached from them

Probably because they're not his creations specifically? I know he had input and all but still.

The light suit is hot. But goddamn that abomination in Corruption is D:

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Boney said:
I don't know, maybe I'm indeed crazy, but the game's faults (exposition dumps, waldo sequences, and being a bit too slow on the investigation part) are not enough to bring the game down. It has too many great things going for it.

I feel the same way. The issues it has, which you've mentioned, keep it from being a perfect or elite status game but it's been seriously great. It's been an "AAA" game for me, worthy of it's spot in the Metroid series. The gameplay outside of the dumb stuff is just so good, especially the combat and boss fights.

Boney

Banned
amtentori said:

After Other M, I think I'm gonna group them as

The Original Trilogy
The Prime Trilogy
And Fusion and Other M

All 3 are very different designs, but share enough characteristics to be part of the franchise.

As for character, I guess he sorta retconned, but it's still in line to what he's been presenting, so it's not too farfetched.

Poyunch

farnham said:
I just dont like the colors

fusion_prime.jpg

yuck
No this one.
vhw0np.jpg

Boney said:
After Other M, I think I'm gonna group them as

The Original Trilogy
The Prime Trilogy
And Fusion and Other M

All 3 are very different designs, but share enough characteristics to be part of the franchise.

As for character, I guess he sorta retconned, but it's still in line to what he's been presenting, so it's not too farfetched.
And looking at Sakamoto's recent comments it seems the next game will be similar to Other M. So we're going to have a trilogy of trilogies. :)

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I can't figure out how to get the missile tank at the end of Sector 1. It's the area right before you enter the BioSphere Test Area and right after you fight one of those giant tree-like giraffe things. You can see the missiles and that they're on a ledge with a door, but the only way to get to them is thru that door. Anyone have any idea how to get this tank?

Poyunch

MadOdorMachine said:
I can't figure out how to get the missile tank at the end of Sector 1. It's the area right before you enter the BioSphere Test Area and right after you fight one of those giant tree-like giraffe things. You can see the missiles and that they're on a ledge with a door, but the only way to get to them is thru that door. Anyone have any idea how to get this tank?
Go to the room where you fought the giant tree. Go to the left. Speed boost from the back of the room to the front from the left.

gogojira

Fusion suit looks to rubbery. They can still roll with the concept, but it needs to be reworked if it's going to be featured on screen bigger than a handheld.

Poyunch

It probably looks weird in Prime due to the drab colors in that game. It sort of clashes with the bright style of Fusion.

farnham said:
Offtopic. Anyone from Europe that bougth this game. I just opened Metroid Other M and there is game registration card in it . Has Nintendo abandoned the Star system (Stars are the equivalent to the coins in America) ?
No, it has been a while like that, but you still get stars for registering your Nintendo products.

dwebo

Got to the credits last night, fooled around for a bit in the endgame. After having no clue how to get a few of the powerups just in the main sector, I don't think I'll 100% this anytime soon...

Overall, I think I had an easier time in the big bosses with health bars fights, than against some of the mini-bosses, since their weaknesses were usually much more obvious. That seems a bit backward, or at least made the big encounters feel less epic. Though, by the end of the game, I was just mashing the dpad before enemy attacks, which seemed to work 95% of the time, and saved me from having to learn any semblance of good timing. Yay for cheese! :lol

farnham

Banned
slaughterking said:
No, it has been a while like that, but you still get stars for registering your Nintendo products.
how do you register ?

i think i got a card for mario galaxy 2, jam with a band and sin and punishment 2 (not sure though)

farnham

Banned
slaughterking said:
There is a foolproof instruction on your code card. :p

But it's not like there is anything worthwhile you could use your stars for. I wouldn't even bother.
eh.. i dont have the code card. it was not included. looks like its an error from nintendo ?

i use the stars for wiiware games btw.

edit : i just noticed that i made a mistake in the initial post. i forgot the "no" :lol :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
lol at this psychoanalysis of her thumbs down. this game is so weird.

edit: oh my god, it's still going

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
PounchEnvy said:
Go to the room where you fought the giant tree. Go to the left. Speed boost from the back of the room to the front from the left.
Thanks. There's one more I can't get to. There's one in the same hanger as my ship but I can't get to it. Can you help me out again?

You know I almost didnt pick this game up because of the "negative" buzz around it. I am glad I actually picked it up because this game just keeps getting better and better and I love it.

Top Bottom