• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

kiryogi

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
Well didn't Samus mention that
they were never planning on creating a Queen Metroid?

There's no way Samus
would fight the Galactic Federation this time. She's still on good terms with them in Fusion. Fusion and Other M are building up the corruption of the GF. If you're talking about the lack of a fight with MB I was really disappointed with that.

True but it was also in her monologue that she states that it was Melissa's doing that managed a Queen Metroid. As only "special infants had the genetic code to become one"

Poyunch

jjasper said:
I don't really see how
because Mother Brain is alive during the Prime series so she is still ordering them around.
Not only that but they also succumb to Dark Samus in Corruption.

kiryogi said:
True but it was also in her monologue that she states that it was Melissa's doing that managed a Queen Metroid. As only "special infants had the genetic code to become one"
Oh yeah.
Still having Ridley, MB, Space Pirates, and a Queen Metroid in the same space station was just asking for trouble. Even if Ridley was unplanned.

I just arrived to Sector 2 and Im loving it. The over the shoulder thing is the only thing I dont like very much, its too slow.

The rest is awesome.

Its funny that the spanish from spain subs are much better than the english writting for this game.
Things like "Confession time" and "baby" dont exist, better synonims are used, although the one they used with baby is better than calling it "bebé" (baby in spanish) the word that they use in spanish could have not been used with the english translation because it would have been even worse in english.

Reading the spanish subs make the scenes more bearable, although I dont fell the hate and Im liking them. Too bad Nintendo didnt decide to hire good spanish dubbing actors and make it better. (please dont start with spanish form spain sucks becuase its not true and you only say that becuase you like better your own accent, and thats only opinion).

there's a long frozen tunnel with two fan blades at one end, and a morph ball pipe that lines the ceiling. I'm seeing an item indicator dot at the opposite end of where the blades are, right above the door... how do you get to it? I know you can speed boost up into the piping, but I can only get Samus to successfully ball up into the direction where the missile tank was above the fans

Poyunch

brandonh83 said:
there's a long frozen tunnel with two fan blades at one end, and a morph ball pipe that lines the ceiling. I'm seeing an item indicator dot at the opposite end of where the blades are, right above the door... how do you get to it? I know you can speed boost up into the piping, but I can only get Samus to successfully ball up into the direction where the missile tank was above the fans
You have to jump over the hole and get to the other side when you're in the pipe.

MiamiWesker said:
There is a discrepancy in how the Space Pirates are portrayed in Metroid Prime and Other M. Of course this is probably due to Sakamoto not caring about Prime.

In Other M Samus says that the Zebeans without a Mother Brain are basically normal feral creatures. It's Mother Brain that organizes them and turns them into a military like operation and gives them intelligence. In Prime the Space Pirates work fine without Mother Brain, in fact they are the ones that start to rebuild it and resurrect Ridley. They also find out about Talon IV and begin to mine there cause of the weapon potential. Clearly the space pirates are smart beings that can exist without a Mother Brain. I guess you can explain the difference by saying that the space pirates left after MB dies are already trained and intelligent and these new ones in Other M are starting from scratch. Still interesting to see the difference between the two.

I thought she said that was Ridley who effected the Space Pirates. Considering the pirates attacked Samus's home long before They even meet Mother Brain.
The Prime games also suggest that the Zebesians gravitate towards stronger beings, which would be why they followed Dark Samus in Corruption.

Finally realized what this music reminds me of... Code: Veronica. Without a doubt.

Anyway, more item help:

In the long room with tanks on each side that you're supposed to speed boost across, on the floor under that there are three panels you can blow up with a bomb, and a missile beneath one of them. However there's still a dot and I have no clue how to get to it, I've searched it inside and out and am stumped. The dot is on the opposite side, as if under the floor on the far side of where you land after jumping across the long chasm.

Boney

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Finally realized what this music reminds me of... Code: Veronica. Without a doubt.

Anyway, more item help:

In the long room with tanks on each side that you're supposed to speed boost across, on the floor under that there are three panels you can blow up with a bomb, and a missile beneath one of them. However there's still a dot and I have no clue how to get to it, I've searched it inside and out and am stumped. The dot is on the opposite side, as if under the floor on the far side of where you land after jumping across the long chasm.
kill the guys in the tanks

Poyunch

Chet Rippo said:
I thought she said that was Ridley who effected the Space Pirates. Considering the pirates attacked Samus's home long before They even meet Mother Brain.
The Prime games also suggest that the Zebesians gravitate towards stronger beings, which would be why they followed Dark Samus in Corruption.
Just because they didn't know about MB doesn't mean she didn't know about them. Samus and Adam's soldiers were a threat to MB's plan so she had to have been doing something to stop them.

Also I doubt it was Ridley. There was some talk about some "evil force" making the monsters crazy and Samus first thought it was Ridley but eventually it was revealed to be MB. I doubt Ridley was in a form of any authority both because the GF treated him like a pet and due to his form for most of the game.

etiolate

Banned
Rez said:
Oh my god, Metroid Prime 2

I'm glad I'm back at my folks place for Father's Day. Perfect excuse to throw a few hours into that (Cube and Wii live there with my brother).

As far as Other M goes, I've decided not to pick it up right away. I mean, I'm not trying to passively troll it, it just doesn't look like something that interests me, and between my new found obsession with Mad Men taking up all my entertainment time and my love of Vanquish and Lara Croft I don't think I'm going to have time to sleep AND play this AND work AND study. Life.

Other M is like hearing you got a date with a girl from the Mad Men office and finding out it's Miss Blankenship.

robot

The game has officially hit it's stride for me. I've pushed the little annoyances aside (like the "Where's Waldo" type segments) and and loving it.

Did I just fight
Kraid? He was the purple lookin lizard that had me pinned down and was fighting him Punch Out style.

Kard8p3

etiolate said:
Other M is like hearing you got a date with a girl from the Mad Men office and finding out it's Miss Blankenship.

Well that's one opinion though it's certainly not the majority.

robot said:
The game has officially hit it's stride for me. I've pushed the little annoyances aside (like the "Where's Waldo" type segments) and and loving it.

Did I just fight
Kraid? He was the purple lookin lizard that had me pinned down and was fighting him Punch Out style.

Kraid isn't purple

Boney

Banned
Rez said:
Oh my god, Metroid Prime 2

I'm glad I'm back at my folks place for Father's Day. Perfect excuse to throw a few hours into that (Cube and Wii live there with my brother).

As far as Other M goes, I've decided not to pick it up right away. I mean, I'm not trying to passively troll it, it just doesn't look like something that interests me, and between my new found obsession with Mad Men taking up all my entertainment time and my love of Vanquish and Lara Croft I don't think I'm going to have time to sleep AND play this AND work AND study. Life.
Seriously, it's perfectly fine. In my opinion, you're missing out, but if it doesn't appeal to you, then no problem. Show those corporate bastards who's boss and that we want 2d metroid with no story.

Also, Kraid is HUGE.

etiolate said:
I guess that's not an exact comparison. It's more like someone told you that you won a date with one of the girls from the Mad Men office and Christina Hendricks pops into your head. Then they shake their head and say it is one of the personal secretaries, and while you're let down that its not the redhead, you rationalize that the secretaries are plenty good looking and are good at what they are. So you contemplate the choice, sort of pick out a favorite, show up at the blind date and then Miss Blankenship is there waiting for you.
:lol Truth.

etiolate

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
Well that's one opinion though it's certainly not the majority.

I guess that's not an exact comparison. It's more like someone told you that you won a date with one of the girls from the Mad Men office and Christina Hendricks pops into your head. Then they shake their head and say it is one of the personal secretaries, and while you're let down that its not the redhead, you rationalize that the secretaries are plenty good looking and are good at what they are. So you contemplate the choice, sort of pick out a favorite, show up at the blind date and then Miss Blankenship is there waiting for you.

Poyunch

etiolate said:
Again. That's not the opinion of the majority.

Boney

Banned
etiolate said:
Don't know about mad men, but it's like being promised a date with Miss Universe, but you get a date with Miss USA.

Threi

notag
just beat it, :lol @ the ending, they sure did go all out didn't they.

oh well, at least it had one awesome thing:

MANTHONY BIGGS IS STILL ALIVE FUCK YEAH :D

KevinCow

Banned
So... I'm not really sure what to think about this game. On the one hand, I have a long list of issues with it that I started typing out here but decided not to. But on the other hand, well, I enjoyed it in the end.

Still, I'd say it's probably the weakest Metroid game by a decent margin.

Dr.Hadji

Ok. I love this game. I love how shocking and natural the perspective change to 1st person and back. Its kind of like the reverse of the morph ball transformation in Prime (First -> Third).

Boney

Banned
Threi said:
just beat it, :lol @ the ending, they sure did go all out didn't they.

oh well, at least it had one awesome thing:

MANTHONY BIGGS IS STILL ALIVE FUCK YEAH :D
There's more to the game bro!

Kard8p3

Having fully completed the game this is how I'd now rank the Metroid series

Super Metroid
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Prime
Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid Other M
Metroid Prime 3
Metroid
Metroid Prime 2
Metroid 2
Metroid Prime Hunters

So to me while Other M isn't the best It's certainly a great game in the series and the second best 3D game. With the exception of Hunters (which I still like to a certain degree) I love all these games.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there some kind of tricks to beat
Metroid Queen?

I saw that i need to freeze the metroids first, and shatter them with missiles, but how the hell am i supposed to do that when there is plenty of them flying around me, grabbing my head, forcing me to go into morph ball mode all the time. Are they seriously expecting me to have time to go into FPS mode and aim at 1 frozen metroid while i have to worry about all that? I am missing something important?

Poyunch

Bisnic said:
Is there some kind of tricks to beat
Metroid Queen?

I saw that i need to freeze the metroids first, and shatter them with missiles, but how the hell am i supposed to do that when there is plenty of them flying around me, grabbing my head, forcing me to go into morph ball mode all the time. Are they seriously expecting me to have time to go into FPS mode and aim at 1 frozen metroid while i have to worry about all that? I am missing something important?
Freeze all the Metroids and use the seeker missile. It's not that hard.

kiryogi

Banned
And for my session today.

Holy shit hard mode
Ridley
. So many gameovers :lol But indeed you feel extremely badass and relieved when you pull it off XD

Poyunch

Boney said:
That's what I did, they did gave me a bit of trouble though.
I got a little bit disoriented because
I wasn't sure if should have been attacking the Queen rather than focus on the Metroids

kiryogi

Banned
KevinCow said:
...On what? I've bombed every power bomb door I've seen.

Well to completely spell it out. You open up the powerbomb door before the elevator that leads to the residence area. From there you can get to sector 2 and backtrack to the main sector.

KevinCow

Banned
kiryogi said:
Well to completely spell it out. You open up the powerbomb door before the elevator that leads to the residence area. From there you can get to sector 2 and backtrack to the main sector.

I did that. The elevator on the other side is locked, too.

Boney

Banned
Threi said:
is there a second ending?
yeah, plus boss fight. Haven't reached it here yet.

So hey guys, having trouble with a missile expansion at the rightmost part of Sector 1. You can see it and there's a door behind it, but no idea how to get to it. (It's before the lab I think)

Poyunch

Boney said:
yeah, plus boss fight. Haven't reached it here yet.

So hey guys, having trouble with a missile expansion at the rightmost part of Sector 1. You can see it and there's a door behind it, but no idea how to get to it. (It's before the lab I think)
Haha this again. I hated this one.

Go back to the curved room. Go to the farthest left as you can. From the back of the room speedboost to the front and into the ledge. Door found. By the way before you do that. Could you see if anything on the ledge is scannable first? I wanna see if the game actually gives you a direct hint about that.

Ridley327

PounchEnvy said:
Haha this again. I hated this one.

Go back to the curved room. Go to the farthest left as you can. From the back of the room speedboost to the front and into the ledge. Door found. By the way before you do that. Could you see if anything on the ledge is scannable first? I wanna see if the game actually gives you a direct hint about that.
Well, the hint is
that the wall you burst through can be scanned to tell you that you need the Speed Booster.

Poyunch

Ridley327 said:
Well, the hint is
that the wall you burst through can be scanned to tell you that you need the Speed Booster.
Yeah that's what I was saying. I never bothered to scan this area so I guess that's solved. Plus the metal flooring sort of seems suspicious.

So it was obvious to everyone that
Ridley was killed by the Metroid Queen? I remember the cut scene where it seems like he's attacked but when you actually run into his corpse, I thought it looked like it was another shedding of skin.

Top Bottom