• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

Ridley327

Well, unless they managed to
clone THE BABY, there was nothing else that size that could have drained a creature that big.

Threi

notag
PounchEnvy said:
Did you wait after the credits?
I know you get sent back to the docking port of the main sector, i'm asking if there is another ending after you complete it 100%

*edit* forgot i am obligated to do a post
mid?
game verdict: my opinion hasn't changed, it's definitely better than all the primes (except corruption, still tied in my head but i think i'll remember other M more)

Yeah I definitely don't agree with those who say it's the weakest metroid. but then again I like chrono cross more than chrono trigger so I guess it's just different strokes.

Poyunch

Threi said:
I know you get sent back to the docking port of the main sector, i'm asking if there is another ending after you complete it 100%
100% just unlocks hard mode but there's still some stuff you haven't experienced yet.

KevinCow said:
Still, I'd say it's probably the weakest Metroid game by a decent margin.

Never forget:

jpcz6x.jpg

It tried something new, but failed pretty hard at it.

Incitemaybe said:
So it was obvious to everyone that
Ridley was killed by the Metroid Queen? I remember the cut scene where it seems like he's attacked but when you actually run into his corpse, I thought it looked like it was another shedding of skin.
Ridley's shed skins still had color in their skin and had a very noticeable tear in the body somewhere where his new form would have burst from. The Ridley body near the end, on the other hand, has had its color drained (just like Metroid victims) and completely lacks a noticeable tear on its body. He was Metroid chow.

Also, on a related note, the drained Ridley body is most likely the same Ridley body as the one frozen in Metroid Fusion. When you first see the X mimicking Ridley, he's devoid of color and statuesque prior to transforming, just like a Metroid victim.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Huh. I got 3/4s of the way through that game but i don't remember it.
Well, you get it near the very end, right before key hunting, so that's probably why you don't remember it.

dwebo

Bisnic said:
Is there some kind of tricks to beat
Metroid Queen?

Just to add to what the other guy wrote:
I had heaps of trouble with this part too. For the first two times I tried it, she would shoot out the three metroid group almost immediately after the two metroid group, leaving me with five metroids floating around. It was pretty much impossible to freeze and missile any number of them without getting head raped by an unfrozen one. On my third try, she didn't throw out three metroids until after I had killed the second group. So, if that's the same problem you're having, keep retrying until she decides to go easy on you! :lol

RagnarokX

Metroid Killer said:
Fuck... I knew I should have stayed out of this thread after release :(
He's not talking about
Kraid
being in the game, he's saying the enemy that's being talked about looks absolutely nothing like
Kraid

Poyunch

RagnarokX said:
He's not talking about
Kraid
being in the game, he's saying the enemy that's being talked about looks absolutely nothing like
Kraid
Now you spoiled
the possibility of whether Kraid is in the game or not. :O

Instro

Just fought
Ridley, Anthony :(
, finally figured out how to dodge in first person mode, kept thinking you were supposed to press the d-pad but you have to move the wiimote. :lol

Kard8p3

Green Mamba said:
Ridley's shed skins still had color in their skin and had a very noticeable tear in the body somewhere where his new form would have burst from. The Ridley body near the end, on the other hand, has had its color drained (just like Metroid victims) and completely lacks a noticeable tear on its body. He was Metroid chow.

Also, on a related note, the drained Ridley body is most likely the same Ridley body as the one frozen in Metroid Fusion. When you first see the X mimicking Ridley, he's devoid of color and statuesque prior to transforming, just like a Metroid victim.

yep just played through fusion again earlier and you can definitely tell he was Metroid chow. Before transforming into the X version you can even see that his wings are damaged from the beating he gets from samus in Other M.

So who was
the Deleter? Also, why in the escape sequence does Samus wear her Zero suit? she can't carry a helmet with the arm canon or what? lol

Kard8p3

Incitemaybe said:
So who was
the Deleter? Also, why in the escape sequence does Samus wear her Zero suit? she can't carry a helmet with the arm canon or what? lol

The deleter was James. Samus is in her zero suit during the escape sequence because of fan service.

heringer

I wonder if we will see Ridley, MB, Metroids and all the gang again. I mean, Sakamoto must be running out of ideas of how to bring them back to life. :p

KevinCow

Banned
Was anyone else shocked to see Seeker missiles in this game? I mean they were pretty much only used to open one door and not very useful in combat, but I was surprised to see any reference at all to the Prime games.

And speaking of references to the Prime games, the big two-legged thing in Sector 2 totally should've been a Sheegoth.

heringer said:
I wonder if we will see Ridley, MB, Metroids and all the gang again. I mean, Sakamoto must be running out of ideas of how to bring them back to life. :p

I was really hoping
we'd get to fight MB :-(

Poyunch

Kard8p3 said:
The deleter was James. Samus is in her zero suit during the escape sequence because of fan service.
I welcome the introduction of new game mechanics. I was so happy to see her paralyzer gun.

Goddamnit.

I was enjoying my experience.

That was until I arrived at a point in Sector 1 (I think I'm about 4 hours in) that consist of a very long segment where you're forced to play with this awkward 3rd person view point. This his followed by what seems to be a boss fight exclusively played in first person view, where I have to shoot missiles on a specific part of his body
(his tail)
, but that shit is moving to fast for me!

Am I doing something wrong here or this part of the game really is that bad? Can anyone here give me some advice to get through this? I've never been that pissed by a Metroid game before. :p

Poyunch

GrimReaper said:
Goddamnit.

That was until I arrived at a point in Sector 1 (I think I'm about 4 hours in) that consist of a very long segment where you're forced to play with this awkward 3rd person view point. This his followed by what seems to be a boss fight exclusively played in first person view, where I have to shoot missiles on a specific part of his body
(his tail)

Am I doing something wrong here or this part of the game really is that bad? Can anyone here give me some advice to get through this? I've never been that pissed by a Metroid game before. :p
No that point is just bad. For
the tail thing I just aimed constantly at the tail, following the rhythm of it until it paused rather than wait for it to stop and then aim.

AniHawk

GrimReaper said:
Goddamnit.

(his tail)

Hold B to lock on, then shoot A to fire missile.

Boney

Banned
GrimReaper said:
Goddamnit.

(his tail)

I just looked at it and pointed whenever it stops. You're probably just one hit away. It's the only time you have to endure something like that though.

MechaX

Uh... huh... I think I just reached the end of the game (the credits at least) and I feel like this game just grinned to an immediate halt while propelling me through a windshield at about 80 mph.

- Pro-Tip for the End-Game: Play/Watch/Read about Metroid II. You'll thank me later.
Guh... I sure picked the wrong Metroid to never play. Hell, I didn't even know Samus self-authorized Power Bombs in this fight. Given how this is the one thing that the game doesn't elaborate on at all, I imagine people who never played Metroid II will be very, very, very lost in the Metroid Queen's final phase.

- Hey, the Melissa stuff was actually pretty interesting! And given her capabilities, maybe she's one of the first humanoid enemies outside of Dark Samus and the SA-X that can give Samus a good run for her money! Maybe this will be-oh... You... don't even fight Melissa. You... just do a shitty forced first person battle with reduced energy, bugs everywhere (usually clipping right through your field of vision), and all you have to do is target Melissa (once you even notice that she's still in the fucking room in the distance of bug enemies roaring and getting up in your face).

- Nightmare
was cool. Both times, even if he is a bit smaller than he was in
Fusion.

- Hm...
Clone Ridley
kinda sucks.
Original Ridley
for life.

- It's actually pretty fascinating that the story really, really picks up after Adam dies and after Samus stops monologue about stuff so often. Too bad it was so damn late for it to make me overlook the 5 other hours of bullshit.

In all... ugh. This gives a new emphasis to "grind to a sudden halt" in terms of video games. But there is a glimmer of hope...
The epilogue!

AniHawk

MechaX said:
In all... ugh. This gives a new emphasis to "grind to a sudden halt" in terms of video games. But there is a glimmer of hope...
The epilogue!

100% the game before you go to the final marker, once you're back in the main sector's main elevator room. You'll thank me later.

etiolate

Banned
GrimReaper said:
Goddamnit.

(his tail)

My personal tip is just to keep your aim hovering between the two spots he moves his tail, the lock on will trigger for you and when he pauses you can just fire off a shot. If you try to keep up with the tail then you'll get flustered.

Thaedolus

So can someone tell me what the fuck I'm supposed to zoom in on? In Sector 1 still:
when the one guy goes down and the other troopers are standing over him.

I swear to god I've slowly panned over everything and I can't figure it out

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
etiolate said:
My personal tip is just to keep your aim hovering between the two spots he moves his tail, the lock on will trigger for you and when he pauses you can just fire off a shot. If you try to keep up with the tail then you'll get flustered.

It seemed like a better idea just to mash B there.

But yeah,
that slow ass walking segment + that awkward fight + investigate the green goo on the green ground
= horrible design choices. I'm really enjoying the game for the most part but some of it is just dumb.

Thaedolus said:
So can someone tell me what the fuck I'm supposed to zoom in on? In Sector 1 still:

There's a green splat on the ground to your right from the default view you started at. Yeah, really weird.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Thaedolus said:

There's a puddle of green blood on the grass behind where Samus is standing. It's really tough to see.

Thaedolus said:

look behind you,their is a green puddle on the ground, that's what you are supposed to look for.

Edit: shit, beaten.

Tenbatsu

Silkworm said:
Why does this make you sad? It's pretty neat that they have this type of packaging in Japan. Or are you disappointed that this same type of packaging isn't being offered in other territories?
The effort spent in designing that packaging will not be reflected in the sales of the game in Japan:(

PounchEnvy said:
No that point is just bad. For
the tail thing I just aimed constantly at the tail, following the rhythm of it until it paused rather than wait for it to stop and then aim.

Thanks.

I did exactly as you said and it worked like a charm. :D

You just need to follow it and wait until it stops moving, then shoot your missile. I was trying to shoot as soon as it was locking on.

Silkworm

Tenbatsu said:
The effort spent in designing that packaging will not be reflected in the sales of the game in Japan:(
Well it might be "wasted" effort in regards to having any discernible positive effect on sales, but it's still nice to see an effort being made :) Besides, maybe this packaging will create a few more import sales ;-)

AniHawk

Shit, I want just the box. Not the game, just the box. That is slick as hell.

Only way it could be better is that it's only greening out her face when you put the slipcase on. Kinda like that one Rage Against the Machine jewel case.

KevinCow

Banned
Thaedolus said:

Oh god those parts are fucking terrible. There are a lot of things in this game that made me thing, "What were they thinking?" - the controls, the story, Samus's VA, "authorizing" weapons - but those? Those were just the stupidest fucking things ever. And the fact that you can sit there looking around for ten minutes and the game gives you no goddamn clue what you're supposed to be looking for is pretty fucking infuriating.

Thaedolus

Oh FFS...I dunno how I missed that. I got frustrated the other night and hadn't gone back, and I had no net access to ask. Thanks

Threi

notag
Thaedolus said:

YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO LOOK AT THE GREEN GOO IN FRONT OF THE TRUCK

fuck it i'm not putting it in spoiler tags. nobody should be subject to that damn guessing game.

robot

Threi said:
YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO LOOK AT THE GREEN GOO IN FRONT OF THE TRUCK

fuck it i'm not putting it in spoiler tags. nobody should be subject to that damn guessing game.

I was stuck on that for 10 minutes. It really kills the pacing when you're spinning around looking for whatever pixel they want you to focus on.

Top Bottom