• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

jjasper

Just beat it. I enjoyed it for what it was. Thought it was better than Corruption but there was definitely some issues with it.

KevinCow

Banned
jman2050 said:
I found the green goo in 10 seconds.

The one before the
bee hive boss
was 100x worse.

:/

I literally restarted my system because I thought the game crashed and didn't load what I was supposed to find with that one.

The WORST one was
the one before Ridley. Ridley flies up, so let's look up! No, nothing up there. Let's look around the room! Oh but most of it is obscured by this big fucking thing. No, you're supposed to look at the fucking locked door that you can barely see across the room.

Red

Threi said:
YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO LOOK AT THE GREEN GOO IN FRONT OF THE TRUCK

fuck it i'm not putting it in spoiler tags. nobody should be subject to that damn guessing game.
Out of all the forced first person segments in the game, this was literally the easiest for me. I turned around, and bam. There it is. What took me the longest was the scanning in
Ridley's room, right before you fight him.

Looks like KevinCow had the exact same issues in that area :lol

The worst part is
the first thing I checked after not finding Ridley was the door, and no indicator came up to allow me to lock onto it. So for five minutes I kept looking for something else, until I figured I'd check it again just for the hell of it.

t4m

Threi said:

fuck it i'm not putting it in spoiler tags. nobody should be subject to that damn guessing game.

Seconded. Pixel hunting bites. That JP packaging on the other hand.... raowr!

kiryogi

Banned
Boney said:
etiolate is that you?

it breaks my heart :(

Supposedly this might be the same guy that destroyed his copy of Vesperia (Well god knows how many fans did that in the end) and other games.

pulga

Banned
Oh God, my package is finally in the country but the fucking couriers didn't deliver it to my apartment today :'(

Boney

Banned
kiryogi said:
Supposedly this might be the same guy that destroyed his copy of Vesperia (Well god knows how many fans did that in the end) and other games.
So what's the deal with him? Destroyed Samus' character, the story, the exploration, the isolation, the controls, being on Wii, Team Ninja, Sakamoto, Gunpei, Yamamoto...

What's his beef? Same for Vesperia, was it because it was on 360? or did he break the PS3 version.

kiryogi

Banned
Boney said:
So what's the deal with him? Destroyed Samus' character, the story, the exploration, the isolation, the controls, being on Wii, Team Ninja, Sakamoto, Gunpei, Yamamoto...

What's his beef? Same for Vesperia, was it because it was on 360? or did he break the PS3 version.

Nooo idea. I'm just saying stuff from hearsay. Tho yeah the outrage in japan for Vesperia was broken 360 disks XD

hamchan

Reached the credits.

I found it pretty enjoyable, gameplay grew on me after a while.

Those cutscenes though, man some of them were bad. Bad anime quality I guess.

Also, either Samus shrunk in height or Anthony Higgs is a giant. Maybe it's both.

All in all, very nice game just some very questionable design decisions that hold it back from being truly spectacular like other games in the series.

Poyunch

hamchan said:
Reached the credits.

I found it pretty enjoyable, gameplay grew on me after a while.

Those cutscenes though, man some of them were bad. Bad anime quality I guess.

Also, either Samus shrunk in height or Anthony Higgs is a giant. Maybe it's both.
Yeah it's freaking weird. Samus was already towering over a bunch of the NPCs. I was laughing at how huge she was.

Boney

Banned
So weird, can't ride 2 of the regular elevators. Can't ride the long one that takes you the sector elevators and I can't ride the one that I guess would take me to my target.

Poyunch

Boney said:
So weird, can't ride 2 of the regular elevators. Can't ride the long one that takes you the sector elevators and I can't ride the one that I guess would take me to my target.
That's normal at least the second one. I don't remember that first elevator you're talking about.

Kard8p3

KevinCow said:
I literally restarted my system because I thought the game crashed and didn't load what I was supposed to find with that one.

The WORST one was
the one before Ridley. Ridley flies up, so let's look up! No, nothing up there. Let's look around the room! Oh but most of it is obscured by this big fucking thing. No, you're supposed to look at the fucking locked door that you can barely see across the room.

well to be fair the game does tell you to look for the exit so that one shouldn't be hard.

Boney

Banned
Well the first one takes me to Adam's control room I guess. But I got 2 power ups left, one is in a hallway between both elevators which I can't get into and the last one is in the room of the mega elevator, right where it is (not the health pack you see going down).

Poyunch

Boney said:
Well the first one takes me to Adam's control room I guess. But I got 2 power ups left, one is in a hallway between both elevators which I can't get into and the last one is in the room of the mega elevator, right where it is (not the health pack you see going down).
Yeah the second one is impossible at the moment. I still can't recall the first one you're talking about.

Boney

Banned
At the right of the command room 1st floor, there's a room with the first power bomb door and that elevator. That thing is locked, can only go through the power bomb door.

Fuck if this means I'm stuck with 98% I'm going to break it in half like that other dude.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Tenbatsu said:
:(((((
metroidothermjpnboxs.jpg
metroidothermjpnbox1.jpg

metroidothermjpnbox2.jpg
metroidothermjpnbox3.jpg

metroidothermjpnbox4.jpg
metroidothermjpnbox5.jpg

http://aussie-nintendo.com/news/23458/
I might play this in Japanese just for the box. Any good reason to play in English?

Kard8p3

Rez said:
I might play this in Japanese just for the box. Any good reason to play in English?

According to a user at the metroid database the Japanese version has the option for both Japanese and English voice acting as well as Subtitles for each so it really doesn't matter.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so close to impulse buying it and then hating myself later when I go without food for a day

Boney

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
According to a user at the metroid database the Japanese version has the option for both Japanese and English voice acting as well as Subtitles for each so it really doesn't matter.
You got to be fuckin with me.

Red

Boney said:
At the right of the command room 1st floor, there's a room with the first power bomb door and that elevator. That thing is locked, can only go through the power bomb door.

Fuck if this means I'm stuck with 98% I'm going to break it in half like that other dude.
You need to go around and open a power bomb door from the other side
(hallway before the elevator)

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Threi said:

:lol

To the people getting frustrated, just stick with it. It does get better but it's almost like they want to punish you for the great section that comes later on in the game.

kiryogi

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
You're fucking kidding me. Eff you NOA.

Boney

Banned
Crunched said:
You need to go around and open a power bomb door from the other side
(hallway before the elevator)
Holy shit how did I not see that, when I went past it I thought I checked. Thanks!

hamchan

Rez said:
I'm so close to impulse buying it and then hating myself later when I go without food for a day

Speaking of food I've now skipped breakfast and lunch because I can't stop playing this game. Going for the 100% is addictive.

MechaX

AniHawk said:
100% the game before you go to the final marker, once you're back in the main sector's main elevator room. You'll thank me later.

I was actually set on 100%-ing the game, but I kinda wandered into the boss before the final marker and seemingly I was locked inside and forced to go on with the final events. Regardless, I still do want to 100% the game so maybe I'll do that in the next few days.

Now my quick thoughts on the game as a whole after finishing it...

- I actually got used to the controls after a little bit in. Sure, diagonals are a bitch and even more so when platforming, but as long as you accept that you'll be moving, for the most part, in straight lines, you'll be good to go. The switch between third to first person is alright... for the most part. In a pinch, however, you'll be more likely to encounter moments where you're trying to find the reticule to aim correctly while the super boss of the moment has its weakpoint exposed for those precious few seconds, requiring absolute perfection on your part.

- With that said, the combat can get a little monotonous at certain points. The bosses are usually fun, but it gets pretty sloppy when mashing the d-pad in certain directions or just running in circles can evade literally 80% of what the game throws at you and puts you in a very good position for a charge beam counterattack. The concentration system is a bit of a double-edged sword: it cuts down on grinding for ammo replenishing, but gives the player more of an incentive to just run through rooms filled with major enemies. But for the most part, this definitely has Team Ninja written all over it.

- The music in this game is probably my biggest complaint. It's usually atmospheric, but never memorable. I can't recall not one tune that is unique to this game at all, which is especially jarring after pretty routine displays of Kenji Yamamoto music. I don't see why they couldn't have gotten him back to do this, not at all. Instead of memorable, the music comes off as generic Hollywood blockbuster tunes that you're sure to forget after the experience is said and done.

- The overall story is pretty schizophrenic in terms of quality. Some games are slammed for not having enough story. In Other M's case, what story is there usually contains some pretty bad writing frequently matched with good writing and elements, usually in the same damn scene. At times, it brings some very interesting elements to the table and does so in fairly well-done ways. For instance,
I really, really think they should have expounded more on Melissa as a character. I feel like the story could have benefited a lot more if they made her a central, reoccuring antagonist as opposed to the FFIX's Necron of the game. The conspiracy plot surrounding MB and the Federation was pretty interesting when foreshadowed. But at the end, it seems like the game just sweeps all that excitement in the rug (and quite frankly, after all that nonsense, it makes Samus's surprise to the Federation doing this stuff pretty odd).
At other times, it carries such poor writing and bad logic to the extent where even your mediocre JRPG wouldn't make mistakes this bad. This includes my thoughts on how
Samus's emotional petrification when seeing Ridley doesn't really fit chronologically at all,
item authorization carrying some exceptionally bad examples of logic and priorities (ex: varia suit authorization and to a lesser extent, Speed Booster authorization),
the entire Deleter subplot which goes absolutely nowhere in which the culprit dies off screen
, Samus's over-exposition to the point where not even Hideo Kojima could out verbal diarrhea her, and overall bad script writing. Sakamoto seriously dropped the ball here. It seems as if he can make good scenarios in accordance with technology limitations, but Nintendo really should have gotten some one much more well-versed with modern-day story-telling in games these days to help Sakamoto out. Most of these mistakes really seem like amateur mistakes.

- Besides Samus's shitty dialogue, I do not really think that they flat out ruined her character, especially as it starts to pull together towards the end.

- Some of the game design factors are a bit questionable as well. Personally, I didn't have a problem with the "Where's Waldo" parts. But forced over-the-shoulder-slow-walking-Samus portions in large areas, forced First Person fights with blazingly fast enemies
(seriously, the "battle" aganist Melissa was won on accident because I just happened to aim at here while her army of bug monsters were going to town on Samus's non-moving ass)
, the game not really telling you about certain stuff in crucial battles (
Hello Metroid Queen. Oh, did you know that Samus fucking stealth-authorizied her power bombs? You didn't? Sorry, you die and have to restart this phase over again until you get it.
)

In short, I'm not too disappointed with the game due to adjusted expectations when the press started to chime in, but man, this game could have been so much more than what we got here. It's like the game tried to appeal to all Metroid fans (The 2D Metroid crowd with its gratuitous fan-service and the Prime crowd with its FPS mode) and ended up botching both attempts due to the game not really getting its gameplay elements down pat. Personally, as an action game, I feel as if Other M is pretty high up there in comparison to other action games this generation. Bayonetta is still thoroughly the superior action title of the gen, but Other M manages to outshine offenders like DMC4 and NG2 due to its simplistic, yet fun gameplay. As a Metroid game... Well, I would have to say that this one is the second worst Metroid game, only behind Prime Hunters. It's still a good game, but it's still a bit jarring to see this kind of schizophrenic, often counter-intuitive effort in the face of a consistently sublime series. In all, I did have fun with it, but I can't help that we could have gotten so much better than this if all of the major players were on the ball here.

I appreciate that Nintendo at least tried to deliver a cinematic, story-driven game of one of their IPs, even if it didn't work entirely well.

kiryogi

Banned
So I have to know.... to those that beat the game

How long did it take you to figure out you had to powerbomb the queen. I had 2-3 gameovers before I did it. And well I sorta knew you had to, not because I was spoiled but I had a feeling or the whole adam was gone so all goes. I only died those times because I failed at getting the charge out in time :lol But I somehow instinctively knew you had to nuke her

scitek

kiryogi said:

How long did it take you to figure out you had to powerbomb the queen. I had 2-3 gameovers before I did it. And well I sorta knew you had to, not because I was spoiled but I had a feeling or the whole adam was gone so all goes. I only died those times because I failed at getting the charge out in time :lol But I somehow instinctively knew you had to nuke her

Died once, so second try.

hamchan

kiryogi said:

Around 5 game overs I think. I really had no idea I could use power bombs at the time.

Boney

Banned
kiryogi said:

First try, once I was in her belly I knew what I had to do. It does a pretty bad job at explaining it at the expense of being dramatic.

So got 100% just under 9 hours. Loved almost every second of it. Will definately try for a hard run before I return it.

And man, now the piano music plays at the title screen, my bro's gonna get that spoiled.

Release a Subsitance version of Other M, with Boss Rush, multiple characters and baby you got a stew goin' on!

Gonna blend it in before I give my impressions tomorow.

Salsa

kiryogi said:

1, because ive
played Metroid II before
. But it was really bad implemented, there was no indication whatsoever.

Poyunch

kiryogi said:

It took me two tries.
The first time I thought I would just have to use morphball bombs and the second time I figured the only other option would be to Power Bomb. I just wish the game gave you a more lenient time in which you can actually start charging. I died a few times due to me panicking because I wasn't charging yet.

I thought this was common Metroid knowledge. I hadn't even
played Metroid II.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Same thing for me... i knew i had to use a power bomb for this boss, but i didnt know how and the game never tells you that. I just had to guess that i had to hold down the 1 button and wait for the charging bar to be full.

etiolate

Banned
kiryogi said:

Two or three times. Like I said, it was my realization of the game's shitty game logic that made me try it.

Kard8p3

SalsaShark said:
1, because ive
played Metroid II before
. But it was really bad implemented, there was no indication whatsoever.

Power bombs aren't in Metroid II so how would that help you know to use the power bomb on the queen in Other M?

koam

People who claim this game is better than Metroid Prime 3 need to play Metroid Prime 3 again.

This is a good game, but it's not a good Metroid game.

The good:
  • Good Cinematics and I love the Sarah Connor style narration
  • It's fun to run around, 3rd person mode is awesome
  • Faster pace than other (3d) Metroid games which is a welcome change.

The bad (a.k.a why it doesn't feel like Metroid)

• I miss the little powerups that enemies drop. There's something really satisfying about killing a mini boss and seeing a bunch of health and missile packs fall down, then using the charge beam to pick them up. What I don't like is the Ninja Gaiden approach where you can beat a boss but don't necessarily get a save point right away... or some health.
  • The music. Awful. Metroid Prime had a fantastic score, simply reusing those would have sufficed. Instead, we have this forgettable soundtrack
  • The puzzles The morph ball scenes are totally useless. You simply fall the rail and that's it. Hiding a morph ball entry point and requiring the use to switch to 1st person mode to see it is not a puzzle, it's bad level design. Same with 3rd person mode, very few puzzles and the ones that are there are way too simple.
  • Too linear Reminds me of Metroid Fusion.
  • Environments are blah There are some really nice looking rooms but they're way too sparse. Most of the game feels like you're running in the same empty corridor over and over
  • The controls Switching between horizontal and pointing to the screen is awkward. I got used to it but that doesn't change the fact that it sucks. Also, it can get really disorienting when you switch from 1st to 3rd and vice versa sometimes.
  • If this is an action game, where are the enemies? It seems like only every third room has enemies and there's really no point in killing them most of the time since there's no reward.
It really sucks because the game could have been so damn good.

Salsa

PounchEnvy said:
It took me two tries.
The first time I thought I would just have to use morphball bombs and the second time I figured the only other option would be to Power Bomb. I just wish the game gave you a more lenient time in which you can actually start charging. I died a few times due to me panicking because I wasn't charging yet.

I thought this was common Metroid knowledge. I hadn't even
played Metroid II.

Metroid II spoilers:
Ending boss is a queen metroid that does pretty much the same thing to you, but you defeat it with normal bombs.
That 1 time i died in this one was trying to do just that, for the second try i just assumed you could
use Power Bombs since you are no longer taking Adam´s orders. "That is a stretch" i thought, turns out it was the right way :/

edit:

Kard8p3 said:
Power bombs aren't in Metroid II so how would that help you know to use the power bomb on the queen in Other M?

Answered above,
thanks to Metroid II I knew i was on the right track with the bombs.

Poyunch

SalsaShark said:
Metroid II spoilers:
Ending boss is a queen metroid that does pretty much the same thing to you, but you defeat it with normal bombs.
That 1 time i died in this one was trying to do just that, for the second try i just assumed you could
use Power Bombs since you are no longer taking Adam´s orders. "That is a stretch" i thought, turns out it was the right way :/

edit:

Answered above,
thanks to Metroid II I knew i was on the right track with the bombs.
I knew that already. :[ I did the same thing you did. That's why I said I thought this was common Metroid knowledge.

Kard8p3

koam said:
People who claim this game is better than Metroid Prime 3 need to play Metroid Prime 3 again.

This is a good game, but it's not a good Metroid game.

The good:
  • Good Cinematics and I love the Sarah Connor style narration
  • It's fun to run around, 3rd person mode is awesome
  • Faster pace than other Metroid games which is a welcome change.

The bad (a.k.a why it doesn't feel like Metroid)

• I miss the little powerups that enemies drop. There's something really satisfying about killing a mini boss and seeing a bunch of health and missile packs fall down, then using the charge beam to pick them up. What I don't like is the Ninja Gaiden approach where you can beat a boss but don't necessarily get a save point right away
  • The music. Awful. Metroid Prime had a fantastic score, simply reusing those would have sufficed. Instead, we have this forgettable soundtrack
  • The puzzles The morph ball scenes are totally useless. You simply fall the rail and that's it. Can you even triple jump properly as a ball? Same with 3rd person mode, very few puzzles and the ones that are there are way too simple.
  • Too linear Reminds me of Metroid Fusion.
  • Environments are blah There are some really nice looking rooms but they're way too sparse. Most of the game feels like you're running in the same empty corridor over and over
  • The controls Switching between horizontal and pointing to the screen is awkward. I got used to it but that doesn't change the fact that it sucks. Also, it can get really disorienting when you switch from 1st to 3rd and vice versa sometimes.
  • If this is an action game, where are the enemies? It seems like only every third room has enemies and there's really no point in killing them most of the time since there's no reward.
It really sucks because the game could have been so damn good.

I played Prime 3 a couple days before getting this and I still like Other M better. I like Other M better than both Prime 2 and 3. The fact that it's reminiscent of Fusion is why I like it so much since Fusion is my second favorite game in the series.

Hiltz

The only nitpicks I have when comparing Other M to the other Metroid titles are the following:

- the lack of the classic Metroid-style doors.
- lack of energy pellets to collect from defeated enemies
- lack of getting power suit abilities from bosses

Anyway, I'm a little over 5 hours in and the story's started to pick up and get interesting again. I obtained the
speed booster, shinespark
and there freaking awesome! I'm at the part after the
avalanche and got the wave beam
. That boss battle against
the construction vehicle
is pretty fun. The more I play Other M, the more I like it.

Salsa

I MISS BEING EXCITED FOR A NEW METROID :(

This game lasted me 2 days, im sad. Fuckin overhype making me finish games in a breeze.

Kard8p3

SalsaShark said:
I MISS BEING EXCITED FOR A NEW METROID :(

This game lasted me 2 days, im sad. Fuckin overhype making me finish games in a breeze.

Yep and we have no idea when we'll hear about a new Metroid game. It seems based on the interview posted earlier with Sakamoto that the next game will take place after Fusion but other than that who knows what to expect.

Top Bottom