• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

ASIS

Yeah.. just like many predicted, this game completely split up the fanbase. I'll pick up a copy tomorrow and see how it fares. But I hope to god i'll side with the positive group.

Poyunch

Not a fan of Prime 3. But I'm not the norm. My ranking of the Prime trilogy is Prime 2 > Prime > Prime 3.

Prime 2's got the best level design and puzzles of the three. I enjoyed the more in-depth weapon system and I don't think dread of being in Dark Aether was a bad thing. Plus I think it's got the best graphics of the three.

Prime was the perfect balance. It had good puzzles and a good amount of action. I didn't feel like Tallon IV was as "alive" as Aether though.

Prime 3's too action heavy for my taste. The puzzles were not as good or as interesting as Prime 2 or Prime. The streamlining greatly compromised and disconnected the planets.

I wouldn't rank Prime 3 above Other M. Even though Other M does not come close to what the Prime games in terms of level design or atmosphere it did beat the pants off of Prime 3 in terms of action and thus it beats the entire Prime series in terms of action.

That's enough for me. I had to settle with backtracking in Prime 2, I had to settle with the fact that Prime while the perfect balance had two other games that did things better than it, and I had to settle with Prime 3 being more action heavy and less puzzle-y and stuff.

It's ironic because I think Prime 3 and Other M both had action as a priority but I hated Prime 3. I really think it has to do with the slow formula and "feel" of the Prime games that may not be so good for action heavy gameplay. Other M though just did the action thing so well.

That's why I enjoy the game and not so critical of it as some users here.

XenoRaven

50032q.jpg

Well, it was good. I really enjoyed the game a lot. Still probably the worst Metroid game I've played, but fun. I'll definitely play it again. I'll echo some of the sentiments about the story and the item authorization, but I'm not going to rehash them. Hopefully Sakomoto and Nintendo as a whole will hear the complaints and fix them for next time (if there is a next time). I'm certainly not opposed to another game like this, if some changes are made. All in all a good experience. Glad I bought it. Bring on Hard Mode. =D

I can't believe they put Nightmare and Phantoon in this game! Holy crap!

Poyunch

XenoRaven said:
50032q.jpg

Well, it was good. I really enjoyed the game a lot. Still probably the worst Metroid game I've played, but fun. I'll definitely play it again. I'll echo some of the sentiments about the story and the item authorization, but I'm not going to rehash them. Hopefully Sakomoto and Nintendo as a whole will hear the complaints and fix them for next time (if there is a next time). I'm certainly not opposed to another game like this, if some changes are made. All in all a good experience. Glad I bought it. Bring on Hard Mode. =D

I can't believe they put Nightmare and Phantoon in this game! Holy crap!
My two favorite bosses in this game. :)

XenoRaven

Almost forgot. Again, I haven't read many pages in this thread, and don't really care to. So apologies if this has already been discussed. But did it piss anyone else off that Adam could take out Samus with one shot? I find it hard to believe GF weaponry is that advanced.

kiryogi

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Oh i will play it. But i wont really be excited about it, nothing new there.
The challenge itself is the what's new there. I was unmotivated before too. Especially no items and etc, but man those boss battles go on a whole new level on hard mode.

Salsa

kiryogi said:
The challenge itself is the what's new there. I was unmotivated before too. Especially no items and etc, but man those boss battles go on a whole new level on hard mode.

Yeah ill probably enjoy it was well. Point still stands though, im talking about excitement for something NEW in the series, expecting it, the days near it, etc.

hamchan

XenoRaven said:
Almost forgot. Again, I haven't read many pages in this thread, and don't really care to. So apologies if this has already been discussed. But did it piss anyone else off that Adam could take out Samus with one shot? I find it hard to believe GF weaponry is that advanced.

Yeah this annoyed me too.

KevinCow

Banned
So... I dunno, after sitting on it for a bit, I'm just becoming more and more disappointed in this game. Even beyond my disappointments of the game itself, I just don't like what it means for the series as a whole. I hate how they turned Samus into a whiny brat, I hate that Sakamoto completely ignored the Prime series and instead decided that they're no longer a part of his "official" Metroid universe, and I hate the fact that Sakamoto apparently wants shitty anime/JRPG/MGS style writing and cutscenes to be the future of the series.

scitek

XenoRaven said:

I told myself she has her own Directive 4 type of deal and all was good.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just got home to find Other M waiting. So much for the Japanese version.

I played a bit of the way through the bio zone. The unskippable cutscenes are unforgivable. Luckily the iPhone exists and I can actually block it out and complain on GAF at the same time.

Otherwise the controls seem pretty cool, the first person stuff seems like a decent gimmick and th combat seems inoffensive. Hopefully the game doesn't remain super linear. The authorization stuff still kills me and for some reason I can't get back to an earlier room with a powerup because the door is locked without reason.

The less said about the VA the better.

XenoRaven said:

I just assumed it was because she was shot in the back when she wasn't looking, but yeah, they could have dealt with that a little better.

KevinCow said:
So... I dunno, after sitting on it for a bit, I'm just becoming more and more disappointed in this game. Even beyond my disappointments of the game itself, I just don't like what it means for the series as a whole. I hate how they turned Samus into a whiny brat, I hate that Sakamoto completely ignored the Prime series and instead decided that they're no longer a part of his "official" Metroid universe, and I hate the fact that Sakamoto apparently wants shitty anime/JRPG/MGS style writing and cutscenes to be the future of the series.

Once again, the Metroid Prime games are canon but there's no need to recognize them since they have little bearing on the plot. There are references to the events that took place both before and after the Prime series, but that's it. It fills in some gaps but does not change or introduce anything significant related to the main Metroid storyline.

etiolate

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Once again, the Metroid Prime games are canon but there's no need to recognize them since they have little bearing on the plot. There are references to the events that took place both before and after the Prime series, but that's it. It fills in some gaps but does not change or introduce anything significant related to the main Metroid storyline.

But in a way, all the games of Samus gaining her own abilities, going about things her own way and being an isolated mercenary create who she is. This includes the Prime games. So the change in her character created by
Ridley, Adam being able to knock her out with a shot, obeying Adam in general, and even stuff like hanging out at the Federation HQ in the end doesn't make sense. You have to retcon all the past games to accept her portrayal or you have to convince yourself that actions mean nothing and only spelling everything out is meaningful. Which is to say, you have to revert to a little kids reading level. No offense to five year olds.

Nessus

_Alkaline_ said:

"Remember the time there were these Phazon meteroites? Yeah, they have nothing to do with Adam or with what's happening now, I just thought I'd mention that that happened."

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
etiolate said:
But in a way, all the games of Samus gaining her own abilities, going about things her own way and being an isolated mercenary create who she is. This includes the Prime games. So the change in her character created by
Ridley, Adam being able to knock her out with a shot, obeying Adam in general, and even stuff like hanging out at the Federation HQ in the end doesn't make sense. You have to retcon all the past games to accept her portrayal or you have to convince yourself that actions mean nothing and only spelling everything out is meaningful. Which is to say, you have to revert to a little kids reading level. No offense to five year olds.

You're projecting your idea of Samus onto the games. For the whole Adam/HQ thing, Samus has worked on orders from the Federation in nearly every single Metroid game. Metroid, Metroid II, Echoes, Corruption, Fusion, and now Other M were all missions that existed exclusively because Samus was commanded by the Federation to do a job. While she was given freedom in her actions for most, Corruption, Fusion, and Other M are pretty explicitly guided by a higher command that she willfully obeys.

The idea that Samus is a free reign do-what-she-wants-when-she-wants Bounty Hunter doesn't exist in the games. For Other M, the Federation arrived their first, and made it clear they knew more about what was going on than her. Being a bitch, ignoring command, and doing things her own way would be a first.

Kevtones

so far

- Lots of confusion on writing vs. voice acting.
- This game seems impossible to assign a score to given the hive mind (I know, you don't) that exists across game media.
- 2+ hours in and I found out my cat bit a hole in my sensor bar cable :(

Poyunch

Nessus said:
"Remember the time there were these Phazon meteroites? Yeah, they have nothing to do with Adam or with what's happening now, I just thought I'd mention that that happened."
They're self-contained and add nothing to the plot.

Metroid: Samus defeats Mother Brain
Prime Trilogy: OMG Phazon
Metroid II: Kills off all but one Metroid
Super Metroid: Last Metroid is stolen and eventually dies, Mother Brain returns
Other M: Last remaining moments of Adam Malkovich
Metroid Fusion: Lack of Metroids results in a surge of the X parasite, DNA from last Metroid prevents the full infection of Samus, AI guidance revealed to be that of Adam Malkovich.

It may have been an important part of GF history but there's an underlying story that is/was being focused on and the Prime Trilogy was nothing more than a brief story arc.

etiolate

Banned
EatChildren said:
You're projecting your idea of Samus onto the games. For the whole Adam/HQ thing, Samus has worked on orders from the Federation in nearly every single Metroid game. Metroid, Metroid II, Echoes, Corruption, Fusion, and now Other M were all missions that existed exclusively because Samus was commanded by the Federation to do a job. While she was given freedom in her actions for most, Corruption, Fusion, and Other M are pretty explicitly guided by a higher command that she willfully obeys.

The idea that Samus is a free reign do-what-she-wants-when-she-wants Bounty Hunter doesn't exist in the games. For Other M, the Federation arrived their first, and made it clear they knew more about what was going on than her. Being a bitch, ignoring command, and doing things her own way would be a first.

sigh

I don't know where to begin with this bit over and over again.

My idea of Samus is based on her actions and my actions as a player. The events that transpire in gameplay are part of the story, and in fact, the large majority of the Metroid story. Interpreting these actions and what they say about a character is called READING COMPREHENSION. Calling it a projection of my idea of Samus shows you do not use this ability, so learn it if you want to act like you have something to say. Nothing is purely objective, but the stronger ideas are judged by how well they are supported by evidence. There is a shitload of evidence in the other games about Samus as individual and isolated. The overly used counter to this is "But Sakamoto says" and "Sakamoto didn't have the technology", but authorial intent as argued here is a falsehood, and the other is simply stating Sakamoto doesn't know how to tell a story or what he was doing. You don't need cinematic level tech to tell a story, which Super Metroid shows. There are plenty of very silent stories out there where you get an idea of who the character is.

Also, there is a huge difference between being hired as a bounty hunter and being a soldier, a part of a team. She was set out on a job in Corruption, but she's almost always been out on a job(more on this below), but what she does on the job, the route she takes and the way she does it is always by her/the player's choice. Other M is the one place where her authority over herself is lost.

Also, game characters are always a dual identity of the character as it exists in static form and the character as it is enacted by the player. Samus is always Samus AND the player. The same holds for almost all main characters. A silent character is not a blank slate.

The idea that Samus is a free reign do-what-she-wants-when-she-wants Bounty Hunter doesn't exist in the games

This is just pure bullshit. She does what she has to do according to her mission. She never checks off before blowing something up.

Poyunch

The problem being the creator knows best about what the story is supposed to be. Whatever the viewer/player gets from said story is entirely up to that person.

If someone made some horrible story but people interpreted it as something deep it's still a horrible story. You call it reading comprehension and I call it overanalysis.

If you analyze something from a game that you feel or experience that doesn't necessarily mean it was the intended purpose of the game. It's YOUR idea but not necessarily the intended idea. You just seem mad that YOUR idea of Samus is not what Sakamoto is doing with the game. Anyone would be disappointed or mad if the direction wasn't the way they'd want but they have no say in any of it so they would either deal with it and/or move on.

Kard8p3

PounchEnvy said:
The problem being the creator knows best about what the story is supposed to be. Whatever the viewer/player gets from said story is entirely up to that person.

If someone made some horrible story but people interpreted it as something deep it's still a horrible story. You call it reading comprehension and I call it overanalysis.

If you analyze something from a game that you feel or experience that doesn't necessarily mean it was the intended purpose of the game. It's YOUR idea but not necessarily the intended idea. You just seem bad YOUR idea of Samus is not what Sakamoto is doing with the game. Anyone would be disappointed or mad if the direction wasn't the way they'd want but they have no say in any of it so they would either deal with it and/or move on.

I agree completely.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe the story just is that bad, but it comes off to me as just really poorly localized. Maybe Sakamoto is a real diva over creative license when translating, who knows.

etiolate

Banned
PounchEnvy said:

What you're stepping into is something that is hard for people to accept, but something thats been gone over by people before. The general deal is that you can't always know what the creator intended, and to be honest, the creator doesn't always fully know what they intend. There also those cracks in transmission and communication where meaning is lost. Some argue that you are never fully present in communication, but I argue you are never fully received, but the end result is similar in that the full message is not there and it takes work to find more of the meaning intended. There is a space for understanding something without having to "seek the oracle" as some people call the act.

Also, if someone made some horrible story and people found something deep and meaningful in it, then that meaning exists somewhere in there. The intent doesn't have power over whether the product of that intent has value or not. All of Shakespeare's work exist without his hand ever penning them. Someone in the audience liked what he saw was being performed that night and wrote it down in their own hand. We can never know what Shakespeare intended, but many people have found worth and meaning in his works, even if there is no original, sublime and supreme official 100% correct work.

If you analyze something from a game that you feel or experience that doesn't necessarily mean it was the intended purpose of the game. It's YOUR idea but not necessarily the intended idea. You just seem bad YOUR idea of Samus is not what Sakamoto is doing with the game. Anyone would be disappointed or mad if the direction wasn't the way they'd want but they have no say in any of it so they would either deal with it and/or move on.

The question is whether my interpretation is stronger in evidence than someone else's interpretation. Most of the games create an image of Samus strong enough to fasten on to not just me, but many others, and create a barrier towards accepting this new Samus. Just admitting its a new Samus is admitting it is something not previously present. We could go back and try to find this new Samus in the old games, but I doubt you will. You will find a more mature Samus and more vengeful Samus. The fact she repeatedly heads into missions featuring the ghosts of her past present a vengeful image of Samus. If Other M acknowledged this persona and then broke it down, it would be stronger. Instead it ignores it and goes forth with a persona that has never been seen before which is why people say what they've been saying.

I can't believe I'm teaching this stuff, but my point is that there is like a whole world out there that deals with this stuff and you may not know about it, but its out there and it sort of cockblocks "Sakamoto says" from defeating people's opinions about Samus.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
etiolate said:
My idea of Samus is based on her actions and my actions as a player. The events that transpire in gameplay are part of the story, and in fact, the large majority of the Metroid story. Interpreting these actions and what they say about a character is called READING COMPREHENSION. Calling it a projection of my idea of Samus shows you do not use this ability, so learn it if you want to act like you have something to say.

I dont know why you're being a narky dick about it, but whatever.

Nothing is purely objective, but the stronger ideas are judged by how well they are supported by evidence. There is a shitload of evidence in the other games about Samus as individual and isolated.

Everything is purely objective because you're assuming that the events that transpire in Metroid, as in the gameplay, intended to serve the purpose of character building the way you read them.

The overly used counter to this is "But Sakamoto says" and "Sakamoto didn't have the technology", but authorial intent as argued here is a falsehood, and the other is simply stating Sakamoto doesn't know how to tell a story or what he was doing. You don't need cinematic level tech to tell a story, which Super Metroid shows. There are plenty of very silent stories out there where you get an idea of who the character is.

Correct, and has nothing to do with my point, which is that the events of Other M and Samus' attitude to not conflict with canon.

Also, there is a huge difference between being hired as a bounty hunter and being a soldier, a part of a team. She was set out on a job in Corruption, but she's almost always been out on a job(more on this below), but what she does on the job, the route she takes and the way she does it is always by her/the player's choice. Other M is the one place where her authority over herself is lost.

And Other M was a completely different situation to past Metroid titles. She was dealing with a group of people who are part of a much bigger organisation, one she used to be a part of, and one she still takes contracts from (and continues to do so). And, as I said, she was not there first, and it was made very clear she was not completely informed. That, coupled with her history with the characters, gives plausible reason for working with them.

Again, you're projecting your idea of Samus and her actions and what you want her to do.

Also, game characters are always a dual identity of the character as it exists in static form and the character as it is enacted by the player. Samus is always Samus AND the player. The same holds for almost all main characters. A silent character is not a blank slate.

A silent character is interpretive based on the player's actions and the events of the game. This is, as you stated, reading comprehension. But it is still, ultimately, a projection. Silent characters are almost always the subject of stories designed to be perceived from multiple perspectives, with multiple interpretations of their actions and emotions. To say that there is a definitive character of Samus that can be drawn from the silent Metroid titles is utter horseshit.

This is just pure bullshit. She does what she has to do according to her mission. She never checks off before blowing something up.

And her mission requirements vary from game to game. In Metroid, Metroid II, and Echoes she was given a simple order and accomplished it how she saw fit. In Super and Prime she took the mission on her own. In Corruption she handled things her way based on how events transpired, but still followed directive on where to go. Fusion was the same as Corruption, with an even stronger directive.

Got 100% figuring out how to get dodge to occur more often with counter charged blast made short work of
Phantoom and fatal attacks to kill off the superbomb guys
. Hey Team Ninja where's my Samus in Venus for 100% item completion, oh just imagine the rage.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Rez said:
Maybe the story just is that bad, but it comes off to me as just really poorly localized. Maybe Sakamoto is a real diva over creative license when translating, who knows.

Well it's obvious that Treehouse didn't have the freedom they sometimes do. They would never turn in a script as jumbled and over-expository as this one if they were allowed to change it themselves. I guess the people at NCL insisted that they keep it as literal as possible. It's a shame, because while the scenario and story concepts are quite strong, the dialogue is just dreadful, MGS4 level drivel. Any good cinematic storyteller knows the golden rule of 'show don't tell'. Sakamoto doesn't seem to.

hamchan

Was pretty weird how Samus was scared shitless by Ridley this time considering she's beaten him plenty of times before.

Poyunch

etiolate said:
What you're stepping into is something that is hard for people to accept, but something thats been gone over by people before. The general deal is that you can't always know what the creator intended, and to be honest, the creator doesn't always fully know what they intend. There also those cracks in transmission and communication where meaning is lost. Some argue that you are never fully present in communication, but I argue you are never fully received, but the end result is similar in that the full message is not there and it takes work to find more of the meaning intended. There is a space for understanding something without having to "seek the oracle" as some people call the act.

Also, if someone made some horrible story and people found something deep and meaningful in it, then that meaning exists somewhere in there. The intent doesn't have power over whether the product of that intent has value or not. All of Shakespeare's work exist without his hand ever penning them. Someone in the audience liked what he saw was being performed that night and wrote it down in their own hand. We can never know what Shakespeare intended, but many people have found worth and meaning in his works, even if there is no original, sublime and supreme official 100% correct work.

The question is whether my interpretation is stronger in evidence than someone else's interpretation. Most of the games create an image of Samus strong enough to fasten on to not just me, but many others, and create a barrier towards accepting this new Samus. Just admitting its a new Samus is admitting it is something not previously present. We could go back and try to find this new Samus in the old games, but I doubt you will. You will find a more mature Samus and more vengeful Samus. The fact she repeatedly heads into missions featuring the ghosts of her past present a vengeful image of Samus. If Other M acknowledged this persona and then broke it down, it would be stronger. Instead it ignores it and goes forth with a persona that has never been seen before which is why people say what they've been saying.

I can't believe I'm teaching this stuff, but my point is that there is like a whole world out there that deals with this stuff and you may not know about it, but its out there and it sort of cockblocks "Sakamoto says" from defeating people's opinions about Samus.
Okay but they are your opinions. Keep them to yourself. What I'm trying to emphasize is that Sakamoto has the final words on what the game and what the story is. You can say all you want but you have no true say, no true part in the story. They are your interpretation and they're not the literal interpretation.

Salsa

hamchan said:
Was pretty weird how Samus was scared shitless by Ridley this time considering she's beaten him plenty of times before.

She didnt. Remember that Prime doesnt count, she only fought him a couple times.

This also didnt seem that strange to me since at the beggining she mentions defeating Ridley for good (or at least she thought so). I think she´s more surprised to see him there than anything else.

etiolate

Banned
EatChildren said:
I dont know why you're being a narky dick about it, but whatever.

Because I have to stop and explain a bunch of stuff everytime this debate comes up. It's headache inducing. It's like interrupting a game of baseball to let somebody join, but then you have to stop and explain all the rules.

Everything is purely objective because you're assuming that the events that transpire in Metroid, as in the gameplay, intended to serve the purpose of character building the way you read them.

Then it's bad game story telling. Game story telling understand what is done in action is story.

Correct, and has nothing to do with my point, which is that the events of Other M and Samus' attitude to not conflict with canon.

I consider who she is canon.

And Other M was a completely different situation to past Metroid titles. She was dealing with a group of people who are part of a much bigger organisation, one she used to be a part of, and one she still takes contracts from (and continues to do so). And, as I said, she was not there first, and it was made very clear she was not completely informed. That, coupled with her history with the characters, gives plausible reason for working with them.

Again, you're projecting your idea of Samus and her actions and what you want her to do.

But she could have just gone through the mission independently while still checking up with the team. She could have used her abilities as she saw fit. She could, as she always has, done things as she needs to do them. The reasoning not to is so poorly contrived and exists as dramatic irony in its only acceptable form.

A silent character is interpretive based on the player's actions and the events of the game. This is, as you stated, reading comprehension. But it is still, ultimately, a projection. Silent characters are almost always the subject of stories designed to be perceived from multiple perspectives, with multiple interpretations of their actions and emotions. To say that there is a definitive character of Samus that can be drawn from the silent Metroid titles is utter horseshit.

There is a strongest form of Samus which I and many others have found. It exists based on what exists in the majority of games.

Poyunch

Here. Where's Waldo is a series of books where a man named Waldo is hidden among a large group of people. If one were to interpret this as how society ignores the average, everyday, middle-class citizen does that mean Where's Waldo is deep? No.

etiolate

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
Here. Where's Waldo is a series of books where a man named Waldo is hidden among a large group of people. If one were to interpret this as how society ignores the average, everyday, middle-class citizen does that mean Where's Waldo is deep? No.

It means it has depth to be found in it.

If there was nothing greater to be interpreted from it then it would just be as it is. How much that interpretation has merit depends on how well you can show it exists.

Poyunch

etiolate said:
It means it has depth to be found in it.

If there was nothing greater to be interpreted from it then it would just be as it is. How much that interpretation has merit depends on how well you can show it exists.
It has merits but one should not get annoyed or mad if the literal story contradicts it. One may be better than the other but the literal story is the true purpose of the story.

kiryogi

Banned
anotheriori said:
Got 100% figuring out how to get dodge to occur more often with counter charged blast made short work of
Phantoom and fatal attacks to kill off the superbomb guys
. Hey Team Ninja where's my Samus in Venus for 100% item completion, oh just imagine the rage.

Actually I agree with this post. This is the only Metroid where we don't get rewarded for item completion or time spent in the usual manner D:

EatChildren

etiolate said:
Because I have to stop and explain a bunch of stuff everytime this debate comes up. It's headache inducing. It's like interrupting a game of baseball to let somebody join, but then you have to stop and explain all the rules.

Not my problem nor excuse for you to act like a dick towards me. You could have simply told me to read through your other posts. But it's a non-issue.

Then it's bad game story telling. Game story telling understand what is done in action is story.

Which makes Metroid's story pretty shit.

I consider who she is canon.

What she is to you is not necessary what she is to everybody else.

But she could have just gone through the mission independently while still checking up with the team. She could have used her abilities as she saw fit. She could, as she always has, done things as she needs to do them. The reasoning not to is so poorly contrived and exists as dramatic irony in its only acceptable form.

She could have, but she didn't, and her choice in Other M regarding working with the team does not conflict with canon or 'established' character. Interpretive events of all other games do not present a strong enough argument that directly conflicts with her Other M decisions, in my opinion.

There is a strongest form of Samus which I and many others have found. It exists based on what exists in the majority of games.

It exists based on what you consider the strongest argument for her character found within the game, which is not what I agree with. Your reading of Samus is what you believe is right. I do not believe there is enough material within the games (including gameplay) to create a character that conflicts with many of Samus' action in Other M.

Some, but not all, and especially not working with the Federation.

Poyunch

etiolate said:
The literal story is what makes up the interpretation. I don't know what you intend to mean by "literal story" ;)
Not everything needs to be interpreted. Again. Overanalysis. Someone said hello to you today. There doesn't have to be some deep meaning or any bullshit to it. That person may have just said hello.

The other thing that bothers me is how adamant you are that your interpretation is better than Sakamoto's. Get over yourself. It may be better, it may not. You're basically a spectator in all of this. If you like your idea of Samus more than Sakamoto's idea of Samus, that's fine. But don't be mad because to the Metroid series he's way more important than you are.

Putting your interpretation on the level of, or even above, Sakamoto's interpretation is just undeserved and conceited.

hamchan

SalsaShark said:
She didnt. Remember that Prime doesnt count, she only fought him a couple times.

This also didnt seem that strange to me since at the beggining she mentions defeating Ridley for good (or at least she thought so). I think she´s more surprised to see him there than anything else.

Awww, I'm sad Prime doesn't count :(
Even without Prime she's messed up Ridley twice before and even a robot version of him.

etiolate

Banned
It has nothing to do with my ego.

Man, we were going so good for a couple of replies but these last two just go in a circle again.

Poyunch

etiolate said:

Man, we were going so good for a couple of replies but these last two just go in a circle again.
You've put an emphasis on what your idea of what Samus is due to your interpretations of the game. You get mad that what the developers told you of what Samus is directly deviates from what you thought she was. I don't see how this couldn't be anything other than you being mad the person you thought you knew isn't that person.

If someone that has a say in something says to you, a fan, that you're wrong about what they're making, then you're wrong.

etiolate

Banned
Having done some editorial work, I have said to writer's faces that what they think their character is actually is not there yet in the work.

Having dealt with editorial commentary with my writing, I've had people say my idea of the story is not quite there in the story yet.

This is how things work, yo.

You think that Sakamoto is the sole author of Samus and what he says she is creates the definitive Samus.

I do not think Sakamoto is sole author of Samus, and that Samus has been made up by the works of hudreds of people through various games, and I think the definitive Samus is the one that exists within the games.

You interpret this as my ego.

EatChildren

etiolate said:

Is there a concise argument from yourself, somewhere in this thread, as to why Samus working with the Federation is a completely out-of-character decision? If so, please tell me, and I'll go read it. No need to find it yourself, I'll happily search.

I'm after something that references the supposed strongest argument readable from the events of past Metroid games, by the way, because so far you've yabbered on about said argument for Samus' character, superior reading comprehension from the events of these games, and how they conflict with Samus' Other M decision of working with the Federation, but you haven't actually referred to anything substantial.

etiolate

Banned
"working with the federation" doesn't accurately and fully describe the way she acts in Other M or respects the issue people have with it

Top Bottom