• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Other M |OT| You're Not Supposed to Remember Him

jjasper

Baron Aloha said:
So I haven't exactly been keeping up with this thread (6500+ posts) but the general vibe that I am getting from the posts is that it is a good game...so that's cool. How would you guys say it stacks up against my favorite games in the series: Super Metroid, Metroid Prime 1, and Metroid Zero Mission? Would you say that I should go out an buy it now (must play) or wait until the end of October when TRU has its annual buy 2 get 1 free sale?
I would rate it below all those and fusion, and prime 2. It isn't terrible but it is one of the weaker ones

I swear to God...something better happen after the credits or I am going to fucking riot :lol

Edit:
crisis postponed, will report back later.

sfried

People are willing to go through the pain that was Bryyo in Prime 3 than Other M? Seriously, Prime 3 had a lot of level design problems, much worse than the pace-halting elements of Other M.

Aurora Unit: "See that comm tower Samus? I'm sorry. You need to head back the exact same way you came and get to your ship. We've enabled a new location for you to land so you can upgrade your airstrike capabilities."

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Baron Aloha said:
So I haven't exactly been keeping up with this thread (6500+ posts) but the general vibe that I am getting from the posts is that it is a good game...so that's cool. How would you guys say it stacks up against my favorite games in the series: Super Metroid, Metroid Prime 1, and Metroid Zero Mission? Would you say that I should go out an buy it now (must play) or wait until the end of October when TRU has its annual buy 2 get 1 free sale?

Great game, one of the weakest, but better than Fusion in my opinion. Fusion is my least favourite, but still adore it. This, for me, feels like Fusion done right.

Threi

notag
Y2Kev said:
The graphics are kinda disappointing. MP3 is the best looking Wii game I think...this is kinda eh.
MP3 is indeed a beauty, but TM deserves credit for the character models in this game. They are miles ahead of anything Retro has ever done.

and once again: SM > Other M = MP3 > MP2 > MP1

Datschge

Is it only me that keeps wondering why etiolate bothers using an avatar of a character from a fully Sakamoto produced/designed series?

Hag

So I've been playing for 2 hours or so... where is the music? I'm walking in the corridors hearing some shitty sound and my charge beam. :lol

Wtf is happening to this game. -_-

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Threi said:
MP3 is indeed a beauty, but TM deserves credit for the character models in this game. They are miles ahead of anything Retro has ever done.

and once again: SM > Other M = MP3 > MP2 > MP1
Well they are better than the...bounty hunters in mp3 that's for sure :lol

farnham

Banned
i like the fact that you get a click sound when youre charge beam is all charged up from your wiimote speaker

Y2Kev said:
Well they are better than the...bounty hunters in mp3 that's for sure :lol
well at least those were awesome boss fights

for the most part

farnham said:
i like the fact that you get a click sound when youre charge beam is all charged up from your wiimote speaker
Really? Is there any other use of the speaker?
I have that POS turned off since pretty much the day I bought the Wii. :lol

heringer said:
Kinda baffling that some people are disappointed with the graphics. I think they look pretty good.
I think it's the texture work. Lots of low res garish looking areas. It reminds me of NG Xbox in many ways; technically great but aesthetically bland.

Teknoman

Hag said:
So I've been playing for 2 hours or so... where is the music? I'm walking in the corridors hearing some shitty sound and my charge beam. :lol

Biological Experiment Room.

farnham

Banned
slaughterking said:
Really? Is there any other use of the speaker?
I have that POS turned off since pretty much the day I bought the Wii. :lol
i always like my wii mote speaker. its low fi but its always great to hear sounds comming out from the wiimote. dunno bout other uses yet

i hope codecs are through wiimote speaker . fragile dreams and no more heroes did that pretty well.

hamchan

Hag said:

Music is absent for most of the game, it's a travesty.

Prime series > Other M.

I hope we eventually see a Prime 4, though knowing Nintendo that's probably 15 years away.

sfried said:
People are willing to go through the pain that was Bryyo in Prime 3 than Other M? Seriously, Prime 3 had a lot of level design problems, much worse than the pace-halting elements of Other M.

Aurora Unit: "See that comm tower Samus? I'm sorry. You need to head back the exact same way you came and get to your ship. We've enabled a new location for you to land so you can upgrade your airstrike capabilities."

Eh, Bryyo was pretty fantastic in design.

Skytown, whilst gorgeous and one of the more ambitious worlds in the series, had more design issues than Bryyo. Surprisingly for a Retro game, many of the game's corridors and elevators looked alike, to the point where I was still checking my map hours into the game. I would struggle to mention any other area in the Prime series that contained so many similarly-designed rooms. It was disappointing in what was otherwise a brilliantly designed setting.

So I'm in the camp of 2D Metroid (favorites being between ZM/Fusion) being the definitive versions of the games and did play the 1st Prime. Which of the Prime games is the best?

I recall even those game split the fan base because of the departure in gameplay (arguments of 'watered down fps'). I recall of that game was lots of backtracking while Samus moving very slowly, not alot of platforming and platforming in first person not being great, scanning things to read (detail/minutiae), unable to strafe and shoot, but some areas being atmospheric.

farnham

Banned
hamchan said:
Music is absent for most of the game, it's a travesty.

Prime series > Other M.

I hope we eventually see a Prime 4, though knowing Nintendo that's probably 15 years away.
since nintendo has the basic structure of a game down they will make some sequels if other m sells. also retro has the structure for some donkey kong games so if those sell well they will be busy making new DK games.

Boney

Banned
CaVaYeRo said:
hahah thanx, you had to see his face when we asked for that Samus drawing :lol It was like 'damn, how can I explain that I suck at drawing'

BTW, I'm loving some parts of the game. It's true level design is plain, and it's true you don't get the immersion you got with prime, and it's true music is really bad after the first hour. BUT I really wanted platforming, I really wanted an agile, fast Samus, I really wanted some plot and, of course, I'm enjoying the little details for the fans. And in the end, I think the 1st-3rd person mechanic is completely original, fresh and awesome, and that he's right when he says that allowing FP movement would have lost the player when coming back to the third person view.

*goes to play a little more*
Actually man, I was going through the artwork earlier, and one of them, I'm sure is the storyboard Sakamoto was referencing in your interview, I burst out laughing.

And there's a Ridley little drawing on the side shooting fire at Samus with her running away, it was so cute <3

farnham

Banned
anotheriori said:
So I'm in the camp of 2D Metroid (Favorites being between ZM/Fusion) being the definitive versions of the games and did play the 1st Prime. Which of the Prime games is the best?

I recall even those game split the fan base because of the departure in gameplay (arguments of 'watered down fps'). I recall of that game was lots of backtracking while Samus moving very slowly, not alot of platforming and platforming in first person not being great, scanning things to read (detail/minutiae), unable to strafe and shoot, but some areas being atmospheric.
1 is the best obviously. 3 comes second 2 comes third. although i can understand some people liking 2 more. it has a lot more content then 1 or 3 and is infinetly more complex but it has also the worst pacing and is frustrating

hamchan

farnham said:
since nintendo has the basic structure of a game down they will make some sequels if other m sells. also retro has the structure for some donkey kong games so if those sell well they will be busy making new DK games.
Exactly. No Prime 4 for awhile, if ever.

anotheriori said:
So I'm in the camp of 2D Metroid (favorites being between ZM/Fusion) being the definitive versions of the games and did play the 1st Prime. Which of the Prime games is the best?

Echoes is the best, followed by Prime and then Corruption, but all three games are simply fantastic. Echoes has by far the most clever design though. Retro went all out with that game, both mechnically and artistically.

As for the games yourselves, you're right in that they're slower and longer games than the 2D Metroids, but they still share a lot in common. Envrionmental exploration is still at the core of the experience. Samus has lost her agility but at the same time the morph ball is much improved, particularly in Echoes. You can strafe and shoot (it's actually a big deal in combat, particularly in the first two) and whilst not to the same degree as the 2D games there is still a considerable amount of (well-handled) platforming, an element which got better with each entry in the trilogy.

Teknoman

If there is a Metroid Prime 4, it shouldnt be called that, nor should it take place in that time frame. I would like to see Retro return for some of the side stuff that occurs after Fusion.

Haunted

Whoever made the lava texture needs to be fired.

Graphically, the game is really good for the most part. But there are some obvious weak spots. Like, really weak. The models and effects (charged wave beam omg) are fucking brilliant, but every now and then you'll come across textures so bad they'll pull you straight out of the experience. Baffling how some of these textures got approval.

Even if we do get another first-person Metroid (which is likely sometime in the distant future given even Other M has elements of it), why would it be called Prime? Metroid Prime is dead.

farnham

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Even if we do get another first-person Metroid (which is likely sometime in the distant future given even Other M has elements of it), why would it be called Prime? Metroid Prime is dead.
lets say the phazon triology is dead. they could still name it prime to differentiate

etiolate said:
pounch: The thing here is this, I think that because narrative is what I work with and study. It's not a thought that just appeared randomly to me. It's the product of research and study, of having to deal with both sides of the argument. I don't get the feeling the other side of the argument is really questioning their position. I had to question my position to get to where I am, I had to face my ego and my authorial superiority and admit that sometimes what I say I do not have control over. Sometimes there is something revealed in what I say that is true but not intended, in a johari's window sort of way.
Oh boy, it's still going.
s5fdsp.gif

Bizzyb

Banned
I wonder how we would feel about this game if the Prime series didn't exist or if this came out BEFORE the Prime series.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bizzyb said:
I wonder how we would feel about this game if the Prime series didn't exist or if this came out BEFORE the Prime series.
It would have made a great Metroid 64.

anotheriori said:

My favorite prime game is Echoes (number 2), because it's has the more complex levels/puzzles/bosses, some other people prefer Corruption (less backtracking, awesome controls, but too linear and streamlined for my taste) but most people prefer the original Metroid Prime. Anyway, all those 3 games are great and have their own style, just buy Metroid Prime Collection and play them all.

farnham

Banned
Bizzyb said:
i think this is a good point

a lot of the hate derives from the fact that this is not metroid prime 4

RagnarokX

farnham said:
according to etiolates logic pmcs should just do what the hell they want and completely ignore the government
Well, just think about it. If you hired an experienced security officer who used to be a police officer for a party you are are throwing, wouldn't you be disappointed if he or she followed your orders instead of roaming around your house randomly blowing up rooms and killing guests?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
As a collective, Metroid Prime Trilogy is one of the best games released this gen. ;)

^^^ The best IMO. Only the Galaxies come close.
anotheriori said:

1>2>3.
All fantastic, though.

farnham

Banned
RagnarokX said:
Well, just think about it. If you hired an experienced security officer who used to be a police officer for a party you are are throwing, wouldn't you be disappointed if he or she followed your orders instead of roaming around your house randomly blowing up rooms and killing guests?
also that person should definately use powerbombs and melt everyone away

that would be kickass and totally not sexist

Ramirez

Mother of God, that mini boss on the elevator after the avalanche is some of the most frustrating garbage I've ever played in a game. Coming from the countless trial and error on the avalanche to a part where if I die I have to fight 7 boring space pirates again is just ugh.

hatchx

Banned
Ramirez said:
Mother of God, that mini boss on the elevator after the avalanche is some of the most frustrating garbage I've ever played in a game. Coming from the countless trial and error on the avalanche to a part where if I die I have to fight 7 boring space pirates again is just ugh.

It's a tough game if you aren't good at it.

Boney

Banned
Ramirez said:
I thought it was easy as pie.

As for the Prime comment, I still have to decide wether I'd rate it above Fusion and Prime, since it's not better than Super and Zero Mision. But I still feel for the most part this game is genious.

XenoRaven

Ramirez said:
Just tap the direction button a lot and charge up your beam. When Samus does a cool dodge animation, shoot.

Top Bottom